Poll

How'd you feel if they built a Mosque in your negihborhood?

I'd be mad and I'd complain about it14%14% - 48
I wouldn't care tbh55%55% - 184
I think it would improve the neighborhood2%2% - 9
Fuck Islam27%27% - 91
Total: 332
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina
A few years ago they built a Mosque 6 blocks away from my home (at that time I lived in another place).  First, I was like "wtf?  How come they build a Mosque here, in a Catholic country?"  Then, I never paid attention to it anymore.  In fact, I never saw anyone using the 4 blocks building.
Anyway, how would you feel if they built one in your neighborhood?
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
I'm English. Complaining about mosques is about as useful as complaining about the weather.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
I probably wouldn't like it.

We seem to have enough

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-03-20 12:56:45)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
I wouldn't care...  as long as fanatical Islam wasn't being preached there.  If fanaticism was involved, then I'd be concerned.
Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|5991|Rexburg, Idaho
Honestly wouldn't care as long as it didn't cause a rise in anything negative (crime, hate acts, vandalism, etc.)

What people don't seem to realize is that when a church or mosque or whatever is built near their homes, it generally increases the property value. Yet they whine about it. I don't understand that.

I myself am mormon. I honestly couldn't care less if they built it close to me. Doesn't mean I'm gonna convert to islam or anything.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

Turquoise wrote:

I wouldn't care...  as long as fanatical Islam wasn't being preached there.  If fanaticism was involved, then I'd be concerned.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
Thought we already did this?

There is a mosque less than a mile from my house, don't care other than you have to remember the traffic is intense at their times of worship, better to go another way. Just like remembering the bigass Christian church down the road is better to avoid on Sundays and Wednesdays.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6827|Kubra, Damn it!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

There is a mosque less than a mile from my house, don't care other than you have to remember the traffic is intense at their times of worship, better to go another way. Just like remembering the bigass Christian church down the road is better to avoid on Sundays and Wednesdays.
I have the same situation. There's one about a mile from my house, so I just stay away Friday nights when it's packed. Actually, the three churches on my block create 10x the traffic problem that the mosque does.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460
My care cup would be empty.

\_/
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina
The only thing I don't like about this Mosque is it belongs to Saudi Arabia.  Go try to put a Church there.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
as long as the loud speaker aint that loud, I wouldnt give a shit.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-03-20 13:06:49)

geNius
..!.,
+144|6434|SoCal
I'd talk to the negihbors about it.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Raga86
+6|6478
Wouldn't care tbh. If they built a minaret and decided to shout for prayer 5 in the morning I wouldn't be happy about it though. If they kept to themselves like the Christian do here, save the bells in the clock tower that ring sometimes, I wouldn't mind at all.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6122|North Tonawanda, NY
There already is one near my apartment.  It's less than a mile away, and somehow, I am completely unaffected.  Imagine that.

Edit:  There are 5 in the Rochester area.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-03-20 13:13:53)

David.P
Banned
+649|6266
Burn it.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6743|the middle of nowhere

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

My care cup would be empty.

\_/
Amen
Turquoise
O Canada

sergeriver wrote:

The only thing I don't like about this Mosque is it belongs to Saudi Arabia.  Go try to put a Church there.
Exactly. And if it's from Saudi Arabia, it might be Wahhabi.  Those are the Muslims you gotta keep an eye on.  Most Muslims are normal people, but Wahhabi doctrine encourages a militant superiority complex among its members.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Why Wednesdays?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636

Turquoise wrote:

Most Muslims are normal people, but Wahhabi......
so we count out the shiites that shot at me?  the iranian quds.  the insurgents in the philipines.  the chechens.

not wahhabis and their numbers put together outnumber wahabis.

wahabis are a small, barely significant, slice of the pie.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6827|Kubra, Damn it!

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Why Wednesdays?
It's really common in the US (at least in the south) for people to go to a Wednesday night church service. These are usually the hardcode bible-bangers though. Normal folks just go Sundays, if they go at all.
Turquoise
O Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

so we count out the shiites that shot at me?  the iranian quds.  the insurgents in the philipines.  the chechens.

The reason why I mention Wahhabis is because they are more easily defined as the enemy.  Their doctrine is the most hateful of all Islam.

Just because I focus so much on Wahhabis doesn't mean I think that other groups aren't at play here, but you love to imply that everytime I bring up Wahhabis.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

I wouldn't give a fuck. Christians, Muslims.....................they are all nutters in my book.
As long as they don't interfere with my life or come knocking on my door trying to convert me. If they do, just like when the Jehovah's called, I'll be naked when I answer the door..
LT.Victim
+1,175|6555|British Columbia, Canada
I wouldn't care..

Theres no Mosque around my house, just two churches..

Like anyone else said, the only down side to it is the roads get chocked up on sundays and stuff.. I remember one Sunday this winter there was like 4 foot of snow on the ground, and everyone still went to church. It ended up with a bunch of them sliding into eachother and some not even making it out of the parking lot.. The whole road was blocked because of them, no one could get out or in.. I laughed...
Hazril
+5|5990
I have been wanting for a mosque to be built in my estate for the past 5 years and finally we gonna get one in 2009. Alhamdulillah.

Bulldogz is right. A place of worship (irregardless of religion as long as legal) increases the property value slightly.

And all mosques here plays the prayer calls internally.

But I can imagine the traffic on Friday noon next year. I hope I get parking space.

But be careful if its Wahhabi. Though they may or not be fundamentalist or terror-aligned, even the rest of us Muslims reject (me abhor) their spiritual superiority complex, even amongst ourselves.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

GS, the lefties here have already proven that it wasn't Iranian Qods Force who shot at you.

You are clearly mistaken.

Even though you were there.

And they weren't.

Couldn't resist...serious response on its way.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard