Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
Who will make a new console? How many franchises will live on from now until 2018? What types of new groundbreaking games will we have (as Portal did)? How far will multiplayer games advance? I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts on the future of the gaming industry.

Personally, I see EA coming out with a console. They're already fucktons rich, they might as well. I also expect the Half-Life series, GTA series and Call of Duty series to continue to be the most successful.

How do you see the future shaping out?

inb4sam"omgps45and6willownalllooooooooool"
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5957|Places 'n such
Battlefield 3 followed by a crappy sequel type thing to 2142?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Stimey
­
+786|6116|Ontario | Canada
Apple definitely will have a console.
­
­
­
­
­
­
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

I will quit gaming, if EA makes a console. I think apple should do one, but obviously not overpriced as their other products.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

I think games will develop in the direction Nintendo went, with interactive controllers... hopefully with better motion control, possibly voice commands (ones that actually work), eventually virtual reality (that would be )
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6564|Mountains of NC

games that look better then RL
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6641|Camoran's Paradise
I see it very similar to how it is now. 

Consoles:
There will still be the big 3: Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.  However, I can see the possibility of Apple stepping onto the stage.

PC:
I don't think PC games will ever die out.  I do think that a there is a general shift away from PC to console though.

Games:
Half-life 3 Episode 5 will probably be coming out along with GTA VII: London

Last edited by Ganko_06 (2008-03-19 14:55:45)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
Physics chips and physics processors in-built to graphics units (Nvidia own PhysX... I think this is happening already in early stages)
Full use of quad-core/8-core/12-core etc. processors with individual game threads being used by separate cores in an effective and efficient manner.
The doorway of DDR3 memory opening to a rich new world of textures ahoy!

Conceptually, asides from technically...

Possibly some form of 'virtual reality' gaming? Something that expands beyond the normal sensual frontiers of sight and sound. Stuff that actually makes you feel as though you're in a 3D environment (see very early examples of this in the Quake Cube etc.)
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6377|Bromley, London

I presume in 10 years time there will be an OS which is 128bit.

What will this offer?

What does 64 bit off over 32 bit?
kptk92
u
+972|6404|tc_london
BF2s/Trackr will cease to exist...

Because chuy would of found a tropical island for all of us to live on!!
Docjones
+7|5981|Connecticut
trainwreck tbh.. doesn't matter to me anyways cause ill have RL shit to do then
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6641|Ohio
I cant really see just graphics improving that much, probably better physics and AI, more realism, higher definition, better online play. As for consoles, I'm sure Sony and Nintendo will make another console, but I don't really see Microsoft making a next gen console, they lost too much money on the 360, but who knows.
trippy982
+34|6394
virtual reality > reality
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464

Stimey wrote:

Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6539|My head

presidentsheep wrote:

Battlefield 3 followed by a crappy sequel type thing to 2142?
the next one will be played with sticks and stones.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6435|Brisbane, Australia

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Stimey wrote:

lol.

Looks about right.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
eaglecorps
shotguns
+23|6240|TEXAS

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

I cant really see just graphics improving that much, probably better physics and AI, more realism,
Yeah, agree I really want to see AI improve on all games.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6762|Cambridge (UK)
OK, well processing power doubles every 18months, so in 9yrs it will increase by 6-fold - and that applies to both GPUs and CPUs - there's also a similar increase in available RAM, except that's a little slower.

So, games will be 64x as big, 64x as fancy, 64x as good.

If you want details, as others have said, AI and physics are where most of that extra horsepower will get spent.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-20 00:06:12)

dill13
+67|6190

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

OK, well processing power doubles every 18months, so in 9yrs it will increase by 6-fold - and that applies to both GPUs and CPUs - there's also a similar increase in available RAM, except that's a little slower.

So, games will be 6x as big, 6x as fancy, 6x as good.

If you want details, as others have said, AI and physics are where most of that extra horsepower will get spent.
That remains to be seen, look at Crysis, its not exactly what people wanted and its the most advanced game to date.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Wouldn't that be 26, or 64?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641

nukchebi0 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

and according to the developers of Crysis, Crysis 2 is going to blow out Crysis one graphics.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6762|Cambridge (UK)

dill13 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

That remains to be seen, look at Crysis, its not exactly what people wanted and its the most advanced game to date.
Well I expect the average 'goodness' to increase by 64 fold.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-19 22:17:17)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6762|Cambridge (UK)

nukchebi0 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

D'uh! Yeah...

Quickly goes back and edits post.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
6 fold=64.

I was only talking about the latter half of the post.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6362|California
Nintendo will rise to be the best k lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard