comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL
*A quick note: I would appreciate any constructive criticism or creative counterpoints, but flamers, get a life and post elsewhere.

My personal medic guide

I should point out before you read this guide to “hopefully” being a better medic, is that I am not the best medic out there. I don’t have the most points playing as medic. I don’t have the most overall time as a medic. I like, and play, other kits very much. However, I’m not a bad medic, I play the kit fairly well in my opinion, and I am writing this in response to seeing how other people with the kit and the common mistakes (what I feel are mistakes) I see on the battlefield.

Mistake #1) Standing up, looking down, and trying to revive someone.

OK….. My personal response to this is that you are asking to die. First of all, in my experience, it is a lot harder to revive someone from that position compared to lying next to them and shocking them, you have to be standing directly above them in order to get it right, whereas with lying prone next to them, you can be several (2-3) feet away from them on any side and still get the revive.

Secondly, while you are standing above them, in case you didn’t know, just seconds earlier, where you are standing, that very guy you are trying to save took a bullet that put him down. Yes. Right there. Right where you are now standing. In facts, odds are, the guy that put him down isn’t far away. Hey, maybe if you ask nicely, he’ll show you how he did it, too. LAY DOWN!!!! I can’t stress that enough here. You are a giant target while you are standing there. And you also aren’t helping the guy you are trying to save either. Someone lying down next to a body is a lot less noticeable and will attract less attention than someone standing right above the body. If you do revive him from the standing position, you and the guy you just saved are in a ton of danger as people like to toss ‘nades or pull up their sights to get two kills for the price of one in a situation like that. If you are lying down, you will attract less attention and the revive might actually be worth something as you both have a better chance of getting away to safety.

Mistake #2) If you revive somebody, they still get a death score

I have run into this situation a number of times if a save a guy two or three times in a row during a heated firefight. He may complain and say something to the effect of: STOP REVIVING ME!!!! I KEEP GETTING KILLED!!!! ……. I always explain that if you get revived, it doesn’t count as a death. The guy that killed you gets a kill, and the two points, but you don’t have a death against you. The usual response is: Oh….   I’m surprised more people out there aren’t aware of this simple fact. Spread the word people. Even if you revive them and you get that nasty surprise ‘nade a second later taking you both out, it only counts as one death for the guy, so don’t feel bad, hey, at least you tried. And that’s your job as a medic, to risk your life to save other people’s lives. While you may not be always out there killing people and reducing their tickets, every time you revive somebody and he gets another chance to get out there and do some damage, you saved your team from losing a ticket. So don’t look at it like you aren’t having a HUGE impact on the outcome of the game, you are. I have seen numerous games come down to a difference of 10 tickets or less….. 10 revives in a round isn’t hard to do, and it could mean the difference between a win or a loss.

Mistake #3) Running around with the medpack out, not fighting

I tend to see this a lot: A medic running around almost the whole round with his medpack out. Ok, yes, I will agree, anybody within 5 feet of you is going to be slowly healed. However, if somebody within 5 feet of you is being hurt, odds are the guy hurting him can be seen by you, and vice-versa. A lot of people don’t realize that the medic can be a very effective killing machine. Even though I have unlocked the next medic weapon, I still like the basic medic assault rifle. In close combat situations the burst is very, very effective and accurate at 0-20 feet. Beyond that, I prefer to switch to single fire for further targets. I have found that on single fire, the weapon can be like a 30 clip, semi-auto sniper rifle. It is deadly accurate, and moderately powerful. Two the three shots can put a man down in the chest region, which isn’t that hard to hit in the prone position. Further, the pistol is my favorite of all the kits. It is incredibly powerful for its size and very accurate, even at long ranges, if you bring it up and look down the iron sight that is included on it. Also, you have several grenades. These are a very powerful tool if used correctly. You can clear out people on rooftops, clean out both friendly flags being taken over and enemy flags in preparation for an assault. Even tossed under a tank or APC you can deal about quarter damage to it with all your nades, enough to at least maybe scare it away from a friendly flag or position until help arrives. Heck, even one nicely placed ‘nade can take out a jeep or truck. Don’t forget your knife either.

My favorite weapon, however, on the medic is the defibrillator. This is a very powerful weapon if you know how to use it. It has a slow refresh time and can only be used at close range, but, if used correctly, can be terribly effective, just ask some of my friends I play with ….. Knowing when to use it is the most important thing. You only need to use it if you have them out already trying to revive somebody, and there is an enemy only feet away and you don’t have time to switch weapons. I have found that the most effective way to get them is to lay down just before you get to them, and while looking up at them, pull the trigger and shock them to death. Also, I will sometimes switch to the defibrillator if I am using my pistol in a heated, close combat situation, and I don’t have time to reload. An added bonus of using the shock paddles as a weapon, and an advantage over the knife, is that if you are in a close combat situation with your team around, you CANNOT TEAMKILL WITH THE SHOCK PADDLES!!!! Try, I dare you. It just cannot happen. So, this helps in a situation where a handful of guys on each side are in a close combat situation and instead of slashing your knife around and possibly taking down a teammate, you kill with the paddles, and the bonus is that any teammates taken down can be instantly revived by you and help you win that little firefight.

However, I appear to of gotten completely off topic. I really wanted to talk about the practice of throwing down medpacks. Most people I see tend to spawn at a point, then throw the bags down around the friendly flag, and run off into battle. This is a fine practice if you want to help your enemies, because most people spawn with full health, and the only people who should be sitting around your flag without full health are enemy troops that had to fight their way to the flag, and a medpack on the ground would be a welcome sight for them. Instead, if you are going to thrown medpacks down around a friendly flag, look around for the natural points at which your teammates will go to for defense of that flag. There are often times low walls, or corners, or mounted MG’s that friendly troops will naturally go to for defensive cover. These points are where you want to throw the medpacks because if the enemy is assaulting that flag, your guys are gonna need health, and not only will you help them live, and help your team, you may get a few points in the process too. Also, when on the offensive, throw down medpacks near points that your teammates would naturally congregate to when assaulting an enemy flag. These points are where your teammates will most likely take fire and need the health the most.

Anywho, I hope that this has helped at least a little, or will make you think in the future how to best utilize the tools available to the most versatile kit out there in Battlefield 2. Frag on!
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6733|d
nice mate,  i would call myself a good medic. the best tip to become a good medic is to balance all the things u said, if u can do and u can change between your gun,medic bag, and shock paddles, u will become a good medic.

featured post request.
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6724|Medicland, sthlm

mafia996630 wrote:

featured post request.
Seconding the motion.
Andrew
+2|6664|Birsbane, Australia
I read it all and it was really good
[DARE] ksack
+0|6665
i personally luv the medic kit (M16 and ak-101 pwn).  As an experienced medic, i must say this guide is very basic.  Glad ur out there to try to help those deperate ppl!
taddzilla
+23|6813|Pembroke Pines, FL.
Nicely written.  Good job...
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Running over to revive someone with the paddles out and then getting killed by the same guy that killed the person you were about to revive.  Try the G36E if you haven't already, it's really accurate, still has burst like the M16A2, and makes a cool sound.  I'm pretty sure it does more damage than any of the other medic weapons too.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-01-06 20:24:34)

comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL
thanks for the friendly comments so far. I really did try to make it a basic guide for beginners wanted to improve in their medic skills, which is in part why i left out commenting on the g36e, because most people dont have that many points yet, or chose to unlock two new medic weapons, but yes, i have that one unlocked and it does rock my world. the whole series of g36 rock in fact. and i think you're right, it does do more damage than any of the other medic weapons..... not 100% sure though, just from experience
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6728|Brixham, UK
"Mistake #2) If you revive somebody, they still get a death score

I have run into this situation a number of times if a save a guy two or three times in a row during a heated firefight. He may complain and say something to the effect of: STOP REVIVING ME!!!! I KEEP GETTING KILLED!!!! ……. I always explain that if you get revived, it doesn’t count as a death. The guy that killed you gets a kill, and the two points, but you don’t have a death against you. The usual response is: Oh….   I’m surprised more people out there aren’t aware of this simple fact. Spread the word people. Even if you revive them and you get that nasty surprise ‘nade a second later taking you both out, it only counts as one death for the guy, so don’t feel bad, hey, at least you tried. And that’s your job as a medic, to risk your life to save other people’s lives. While you may not be always out there killing people and reducing their tickets, every time you revive somebody and he gets another chance to get out there and do some damage, you saved your team from losing a ticket. So don’t look at it like you aren’t having a HUGE impact on the outcome of the game, you are. I have seen numerous games come down to a difference of 10 tickets or less….. 10 revives in a round isn’t hard to do, and it could mean the difference between a win or a loss."

Disagreed. If i'm just getting repeatedly killed, without the medic being bothered to try to find the person that killed me, it's furstrating. I got revived 6 times in a row in Karkand once, by the same medic, and killed by the same tank. If a guy dies, theres a reason he is dead. People don't like being revived then shot repeatedly - it's no fun. They want to get up and play, rather than be stuck not being able to do anything.
specops10-4
+108|6713|In the hills
Another thing most medics make the mistake of doing is running into a heated battlefield with 3 or more enemies, with a dead guy in the middle.  THey will run in and might be able to get the revive, but all too commonly they will die losing two tickets when your team should have lost one.
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6690|The Netherlands
Cool guide!

Btw i checked wiki for the damage of the medic guns cause i was wondering about it:
M16a2 has 30 damage
L85a1 and G36e both have 32 damage
Ak-47 has 38 damage
Ak-101 has 37 damage.

I guess its damage per shot.
comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL
Agreed, it can be annoying to be constantly revived and killed, i totally understand. However, it is all in good faith, he (she) is only trying to do their job, and you shouldn't get pissed at them for doing it. It can be frustrating, i have been there too. But i think that the medic's intention is to save your life, keep you from getting a death. Its a thankless job sometimes, and sometimes a hated one, but medics have the ability to reverse a death and enough of these saves can win the game. even if it is annoying......
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Nicely done -- would you allow this to be used (with edits) in the wiki?
Alert Medic
+0|6672
Good job!
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6683|Norway

DUFFKING wrote:

I have run into this situation a number of times if a save a guy two or three times in a row during a heated firefight. He may complain and say something to the effect of: STOP REVIVING ME!!!! I KEEP GETTING KILLED!!!! ……. I always explain that if you get revived, it doesn’t count as a death. The guy that killed you gets a kill, and the two points, but you don’t have a death against you. The usual response is: Oh….   I’m surprised more people out there aren’t aware of this simple fact. Spread the word people. Even if you revive them and you get that nasty surprise ‘nade a second later taking you both out, it only counts as one death for the guy, so don’t feel bad, hey, at least you tried. And that’s your job as a medic, to risk your life to save other people’s lives. While you may not be always out there killing people and reducing their tickets, every time you revive somebody and he gets another chance to get out there and do some damage, you saved your team from losing a ticket. So don’t look at it like you aren’t having a HUGE impact on the outcome of the game, you are. I have seen numerous games come down to a difference of 10 tickets or less….. 10 revives in a round isn’t hard to do, and it could mean the difference between a win or a loss."

Disagreed. If i'm just getting repeatedly killed, without the medic being bothered to try to find the person that killed me, it's furstrating. I got revived 6 times in a row in Karkand once, by the same medic, and killed by the same tank. If a guy dies, theres a reason he is dead. People don't like being revived then shot repeatedly - it's no fun. They want to get up and play, rather than be stuck not being able to do anything.
Sure it's a pain to be revived/killed, but hey - in your case, everu second that tank had its sights trained on you, was another second a friendly spec ops could C4 it.. So then I guess you and the medic reviving you really helped the entire team by taking out (or assisting in the removal of) a valuable asset like a tank...

Aha! so that's why the ticets arn't counted when you die, but when you respawn.. I have heard people talking about this. One of the reasons you have to wait such a long time (15secs) after killing the last guy with the last ticket before the game zero'es..

The only time I find it especially irritating to be revived is when I was planning to play a different kit in respons to something I saw/heard or was killed by but hey, I guess you can't win them all..

very nice guide..
bgthigfist
+0|6775

Friluftshund wrote:

The only time I find it especially irritating to be revived is when I was planning to play a different kit in respons to something I saw/heard or was killed by but hey, I guess you can't win them all..
very nice guide..
Ditto.  Get killed by a tank while a sniper and use my 15 respawning seconds to pick AT kit and new spawn, then, REVIVED back with my useless kit facing the same tank, usually to the same fate.  The other annoyance is when I'm revived with an empty clip (got killed while trying to reload or switch weapons), only to get killed again before I can reload or switch weapons.  SUCKS.  Double the respawn time, too.

Thanks for the guide.  I can't hit shit with the shock paddles as a weapon, but love the G36E unlock.  It owns on Warlord; 2 quick 3 round bursts will put down any enemy.  I can usually take out a couple of insurgents before they can do more than half damage to me, heal myself and reload, then do it again until I run out of ammo or run into a noob toober.  I have gone back to playing medic lately and look to get better at reviving.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6759|Singapore

You didn't mention gay bunnyhopping defib killing which I'm glad

Beatifully written.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6728|Brixham, UK

Friluftshund wrote:

DUFFKING wrote:

Sure it's a pain to be revived/killed, but hey - in your case, everu second that tank had its sights trained on you, was another second a friendly spec ops could C4 it.. So then I guess you and the medic reviving you really helped the entire team by taking out (or assisting in the removal of) a valuable asset like a tank...

Aha! so that's why the ticets arn't counted when you die, but when you respawn.. I have heard people talking about this. One of the reasons you have to wait such a long time (15secs) after killing the last guy with the last ticket before the game zero'es..

very nice guide..
Ya, but that tank was in the 'i've got my tank barrell trained on this alleyway and I am going to rack up billions of kills before someone C4s me' position.

When I play medic, I like to be sure that the person i'm reviving isn't going to die 3 seconds after I revive him.

Last edited by DUFFKING (2006-01-08 08:41:09)

Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

I like to stand and revive. id rather save sumone lifes than have my own taken away...in the game that is. 2 points for me, and u dont get negative points for a death. u can stand pretty far away, aim at their chest, and still revive them....sumhow....er.... i dont get how that works.
NZDeathBoy
+20|6670|Chch, New Zealand
Good guide mate, good read. One thing that i have found playing medic, is  a squad leader asulting a flag in any map is good as you are a spawn point for you squad, and you can revive and heal your squad. So you can sit on the side as a spawn point, and maybe even get revives points instead  of being under the flag. And with the good gun you can cover you squad too and not really die cause of the packs.

Also as a lone wolf you can do quite well as a medic as its a little harder to die as you have the med pack. So after you take out an ememy you can heal your slef and keep going, and just biff out med packs too sohopefully your team if following behind can pick them up. Though the ememy could take them....
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Not bad at all.
People have different opinions about repeatedly reviving someone. If I myself have revived someone who gets killed instanty, I wll leave him until the offender is killed - if the offender is killed at all, if he isn't I'll let the stricken re-spawn. It's just my way, I don't like giving enemies free kills, even if it results in me getting two points each time.

Your medic pack idea is a work of genius, the word needs to be spread, even though I am thankful to enemy med packs that heal me when I'm attacking a point.

One point you missed, which I feel is pretty crucial. Medics work best in a squad, in a working squad environment. A squad leader of course is a moving spawn point, so if he gets killed, reviving him is a great help to four other people on your team. Also if you're in a group you have more access to wounded players, so don't have to run everywhere to try to revive/heal people, just to have them dissapear on you as soon as you reach them.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
The_Lone_N00b
+2|6741
Pretty good, now I might seem negative here but oh well. Not so much of a guide as some tips, but it's all good. I've played 40 hours total, 4/5'ths of that I've been a medic. Now I'm not saying your wrong, and the guide you made is pretty good, but a few things I must say

If you are standing, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM, I've been 3m away from them standing and they got revived. But it is butter to go prone, I'm just mentioning

Also, you didn't mention not to point whore. I've seen many n00b medics in the middle of a firefight revive me rather then helpout, thus getting me and himself killed.

Lastly, one of my tips, since the enemy is usually not far from a downed friendly, I sometimes throw a grenade near or on otp of them to be sure.

I'm not the best medic either, your most likely 3 million times better, I might even suck in some peoples eyes. But I'm jsut trying to help, noty trying to be an asshole

Your guide overall was helpful though...
McPwned
Canadian Ops
+0|6813|Canada
The problem is with lying down and trying to revive someone is that it is slower.  If you want to quickly dash out there, revive the guy, and dash back (like I normally do), going prone takes time.  However, you have to have good accuracy with the paddles.
comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL

The_Lone_N00b wrote:

Pretty good, now I might seem negative here but oh well. Not so much of a guide as some tips, but it's all good. I've played 40 hours total, 4/5'ths of that I've been a medic. Now I'm not saying your wrong, and the guide you made is pretty good, but a few things I must say

If you are standing, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM, I've been 3m away from them standing and they got revived. But it is butter to go prone, I'm just mentioning

Also, you didn't mention not to point whore. I've seen many n00b medics in the middle of a firefight revive me rather then helpout, thus getting me and himself killed.

Lastly, one of my tips, since the enemy is usually not far from a downed friendly, I sometimes throw a grenade near or on otp of them to be sure.

I'm not the best medic either, your most likely 3 million times better, I might even suck in some peoples eyes. But I'm jsut trying to help, noty trying to be an asshole

Your guide overall was helpful though...
you are right, you dont have to be right on top of them, but in my own experience, i have found that you have to be closer to them than lying prone because you are naturally a meter father away from them standing off the ground, so i guess you get about a meter better range lying down. i see some people express concern about the amount of time it takes to lay down and shock them, get up and get away. i have found in my experience that most people expect you to stand up, so by running over to them, going prone, shocking, standing and running, you stand a better chance of living. It is all about the timing with it. I have gotten it down to an art really, timed it perfectly so im on the ground no longer than it takes to actually shock them (1/2 a second....?) then, because i have thrown people off by going prone, standing up and running, they tend to miss me, then track me, giving my mate some time to get up and get out of there. also, in regards to repeated killing of the guy you are trying to save, i will generally save him no more than twice before i go out and kill the guy doing the dirty deed, then trying to get back in time to save him for the third, and hopefully last time. i dont know if i am better, i have over a hundred hours as medic and every single medal you can get in both regular and SF for medic, but again, thats because i play it a lot. i just wrote it to help people out who wanted to be better medics. trying to get rid of noob medics one at a time.
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6655
Oh yeah, I should add that you should be careful when going to heal someone.  Whoever wounded them is within 15 seconds distance of them so they are pretty close by, so look around before you go straight to them.  Thats the number one mistake I made as a newbie - I would run mindlessly to the wounded guy without noticing that an enemy was standing right next to him.  So now the enemy gets 2 kills.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard