Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

I would buy that argument if it were children's clothes, meat, fruits and vegetables that they were stealing, instead of cars, plasma tv's, and stereos for drug money or to pay off a booky.
Absolutely.  You can often determine quite clearly what is motivating a theft by what is stolen.  Materialistic and drug-related thieves get very little sympathy from me, but if the case actually does involve selling something for the money to provide for a family, then the act is certainly more understandable.  I'm not saying that it should be legal or permitted in any way, but it at least provides a context by which the actions can be understood.
I am sorry turquoise, i do not mean to be a pain in the ass with you tonite but I still gotta disagree.

If you have children and you still can't seem to find any motivation to do something with your life but choose to steal from someone else's children instead, you are still just as big a piece of shit not worth the cell you should inhabit.
There's nothing to be sorry about...  lol

But yeah...  I see what you're saying.  I just look at it differently.  I judge people by 2 things: actions and intentions.  Sometimes, an action can seem utterly repulsive without knowing what the motivation was.

If I can relate to what causes someone to act in a certain way, then I'm more likely to "go easy" on him/her.  I'm not saying the law should necessarily be this way, but I personally operate like this.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Absolutely.  You can often determine quite clearly what is motivating a theft by what is stolen.  Materialistic and drug-related thieves get very little sympathy from me, but if the case actually does involve selling something for the money to provide for a family, then the act is certainly more understandable.  I'm not saying that it should be legal or permitted in any way, but it at least provides a context by which the actions can be understood.
I am sorry turquoise, i do not mean to be a pain in the ass with you tonite but I still gotta disagree.

If you have children and you still can't seem to find any motivation to do something with your life but choose to steal from someone else's children instead, you are still just as big a piece of shit not worth the cell you should inhabit.
There's nothing to be sorry about...  lol

But yeah...  I see what you're saying.  I just look at it differently.  I judge people by 2 things: actions and intentions.  Sometimes, an action can seem utterly repulsive without knowing what the motivation was.

If I can relate to what causes someone to act in a certain way, then I'm more likely to "go easy" on him/her.  I'm not saying the law should necessarily be this way, but I personally operate like this.
I judge people based on how they influence those around them. I could not care less what they decide to do to themselves..
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Masques wrote:

Even going beyond that (and I'm wearing my Social Scientist hat here) all you can say is that more individuals of a particular group are actually convicted of a crime. For it to be true that members of said group are more criminal you would have to believe that every person convicted of a crime in our criminal justice system is in fact guilty.
Touche...  another often overlooked principle.
nope, the ratio is the same unless you are saying there are NO other groups falsely imprisioned other than the one in question.
I was making a general statement about generalizations (heh) based on crime statistics. Or to be more precise, convictions.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Masques wrote:

lowing wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Touche...  another often overlooked principle.
nope, the ratio is the same unless you are saying there are NO other groups falsely imprisioned other than the one in question.
I was making a general statement about generalizations (heh) based on crime statistics. Or to be more precise, convictions.
me to
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6760|San Antonio, Texas

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

my thing is this: what does it have to do with a discussion on barack obama. he brought it up on his own accord. why even bring up this statistic.
I brought it up in response to this article that Kmarion posted, paragraph 12:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

couple this with the fact that he seems to be vehemently against barack obama for because of the racial views of those in his inner circle, but he has no problem supporting ron paul and and white supremacist baggage that brings along.  its not that hard to figure out the reasons why he doesnt like Obama.
Again, Ron Paul is not a member of a white supremacist group. Omaba is a member of that chuch, and not a new member, a long time member.

If this was any other candidate attending a church like this they would be crucified.

And again, this is just icing on the cake, I did not support Obama from the beginning because of his policies. Same reason I do not support Hillary.
san4
The Mas
+311|6689|NYC, a place to live

Superslim wrote:

i hate to say this, but, there is a grain of Truth to what the pastor says.
Obama thinks so too.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
Obama is also an Imam from indonesia
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

san4 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

You are right, what else would he say. You would be happier if he didn't speak out against his remarks? This type of attack is weak. When you can't finf anything real to smear a candidate, smear the people around him. Everyone is susceptible this type of asymmetrical attack.
This type of attack is very strong because Obama attended this crackpot's church for 20 years. That is a long time, and such a long association says something about Obama. The fact that Obama denounced everything his pastor said does not explain why he spent 20 years following a radical pastor.

No one else is susceptible to this type of attack because no one else running for President has such a long and close relationship with someone who has such radical views.
The statements in the OP were made recently.

It is weak because you are using the words of another person to make ambiguous conclusions about Obama's character. This is despite his open denouncement of the Pastor's statements. You are suggesting (by using another persons remarks) that Obama is racist.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
His Mom is White
If your line of logic wasn't so tragic it would be funny. The rest of your argument is based on presumptions. If you think that this is a "strong attack" then this discussion is a lost cause.
Obama expanded his lead this weekend
I am really surprised at how easily people are manipulated during election season. Is it really that difficult to use common sense and to think for yourself? Ask yourself why these statements only surface when Barack is nearing the finish line... you know since a United States Senator has been listening to racist remarks for 20 years .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
he's a raging muslim too, dont forget.  And his cousin is the guy we just overthrew.
Turquoise
O Canada
The only thing I would suggest Obama do at this point is to further distance himself from this pastor.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

The only thing I would suggest Obama do at this point is to further distance himself from this pastor.
Turquoise will be playing the role of Captain Obvious today..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
The only reason I mention it is because it doesn't seem like Obama is doing that.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

The only reason I mention it is because it doesn't seem like Obama is doing that.
er.. he isn't distancing himself?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
I know he denounced what the pastor said, but he still goes to that church, right?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

I know he denounced what the pastor said, but he still goes to that church, right?
Well, he is continuing to grow his lead.. it appears he is trying to get people to focus on his own words. He is voicing his own opinion and warning about being divisive (in any context). I suggest he continues to do what he is doing
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6000|...
Sniper, wow the stuff you brought up about black communities etc shouldn't have anything to do with the elections (at all.), also why are you holding your ground against gay people, if I may ask. As far as I know it's often the cause of a biological disorder, nothing to do with religion.
inane little opines
san4
The Mas

Kmarion wrote:

san4 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

You are right, what else would he say. You would be happier if he didn't speak out against his remarks? This type of attack is weak. When you can't finf anything real to smear a candidate, smear the people around him. Everyone is susceptible this type of asymmetrical attack.
This type of attack is very strong because Obama attended this crackpot's church for 20 years. That is a long time, and such a long association says something about Obama. The fact that Obama denounced everything his pastor said does not explain why he spent 20 years following a radical pastor.

No one else is susceptible to this type of attack because no one else running for President has such a long and close relationship with someone who has such radical views.

It is weak because you are using the words of another person to make ambiguous conclusions about Obama's character. This is despite his open denouncement of the Pastor's statements. You are suggesting (by using another persons remarks) that Obama is racist.
His Mom is White
If your line of logic wasn't so tragic it would be funny. The rest of your argument is based on presumptions. If you think that this is a "strong attack" then this discussion is a lost cause.
I am really surprised at how easily people are manipulated during election season. Is it really that difficult to use common sense and to think for yourself? Ask yourself why these statements only surface when Barack is nearing the finish line... you know since a United States Senator has been listening to racist remarks for 20 years .
I have suggested that Obama has radical views. The statements in the OP were made recently but they did not come out of nowhere. Obama's pastor didn't say "God Bless America" for 19 years and then all of a sudden say "God damn America" one day. Those comments came from his underlying radical and anti-American views, and I don't think he only developed those views in the last five years of his 40 year career.

This says something about Obama because he has been appreciating his pastor's radical views for 20 years. Why did he decide this church was the right one for him? The answer has to include the fact that he was comfortable with the pastor's radical and anti-American views. There were lots of other churches he could have identified with.

Obama can denounce his pastor's statements now, but that doesn't change the fact that he spent 20 years appreciating a pastor with radical views. Twenty years of commitment says more about Obama than his recent efforts to denounce the dozen or so "appalling" statements that we know about.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

san4 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

san4 wrote:

His Mom is White
I have suggested that Obama has radical views. The statements in the OP were made recently but they did not come out of nowhere. Obama's pastor didn't say "God Bless America" for 19 years and then all of a sudden say "God damn America" one day. Those comments came from his underlying radical and anti-American views, and I don't think he only developed those views in the last five years of his 40 year career.

This says something about Obama because he has been appreciating his pastor's radical views for 20 years. Why did he decide this church was the right one for him? The answer has to include the fact that he was comfortable with the pastor's radical and anti-American views. There were lots of other churches he could have identified with.

Obama can denounce his pastor's statements now, but that doesn't change the fact that he spent 20 years appreciating a pastor with radical views. Twenty years of commitment says more about Obama than his recent efforts to denounce the dozen or so "appalling" statements that we know about.
"Obama's pastor didn't say "God Bless America" for 19 years and then all of a sudden say "God damn America" one day.
Prove they were continuously made in Obama's presence.

You still haven't addressed the timing of this. You are adamantly standing by the idea that this has been happening for a long time, yet it goes completely unnoticed until now. Senators are very powerful people and they are constantly susceptible to political attacks. Give the voters of Illinois a little more credit.

..."but that doesn't change the fact that he spent 20 years appreciating a pastor with radical views.", you make jumps and conclusions without a single glance at Obama's own personal character. If this debate were in a court of law it would be tossed out in an instant due to lack of corroborating evidence. If you are going to suggest that a Senator is a "radical" and liar then you should really build your argument around a stronger foundation. Assumptions and hearsay are not enough to destroy a man character. Everyone deserves a chance to say how they personally feel on the issues.

The very idea that (any) elected United States Senator is Anti-American is a joke. Why would you serve a nation that you hate? Just pause for a minute and think about it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
san4
The Mas

Kmarion wrote:

san4 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

His Mom is White

"Obama's pastor didn't say "God Bless America" for 19 years and then all of a sudden say "God damn America" one day.
Prove they were continuously made in Obama's presence.

You still haven't addressed the timing of this. You are adamantly standing by the idea that this has been happening for a long time, yet it goes completely unnoticed until now. Senators are very powerful people and they are constantly susceptible to political attacks. Give the voters of Illinois a little more credit.

..."but that doesn't change the fact that he spent 20 years appreciating a pastor with radical views.", you make jumps and conclusions without a single glance at Obama's own personal character. If this debate were in a court of law it would be tossed out in an instant due to lack of corroborating evidence. If you are going to suggest that a Senator is a "radical" and liar then you should really build your argument around a stronger foundation. Assumptions and hearsay are not enough to destroy a man character. Everyone deserves a chance to say how they personally feel on the issues.

The very idea that (any) elected United States Senator is Anti-American is a joke. Why would you serve a nation that you hate? Just pause for a minute and think about it.
I agree, the statement made by Obama's long-time pastor are not conclusive evidence of what Obama believes. I'd like to hear more about what Obama's pastor has been saying for the last two decades. Assumptions and hearsay--and a 20 year pattern of behavior--are enough to warrant further investigation by the press. I think Obama has been saying and doing politically sensible things, but I think he has radical views that he has been careful to keep quiet. As President he would not have to be as careful about hiding his views.

I would love to be President of Iran right now.
Turquoise
O Canada
The president of Iran comment is especially interesting here.  I'm sure the Ayatollah was very pleased that Saddam was removed from power, but Bush did that, not Obama.

Nevertheless, san4, you fail to see how flawed your logic is on Obama's character.  Now, if you want to suggest that Obama has radical stances on certain things, maybe so.  I haven't seen any evidence of that, but hasn't he already shown his willingness to compromise with Republicans?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard