Poll

Should people recieving a welfare check have to pass a urine test?

Yes81%81% - 118
No18%18% - 26
Total: 144
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6448|Communist Republic of CA, USA
[Idea came to me from an email]
If I have to pass a piss test to get/keep a job, from which I pay taxes to help such establishments such as Welfare, shouldn't people recieving welfare checks have to pass a piss test to receive them?  Seems fair to me.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
Along the same lines, should drug users be allowed to starve to death?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

That sounds like a great idea now that I think of it.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

This is sarcasm right? In any case, I'd have to seriously say yes, they should. If people on welfare aren't doing drugs, good for them. But if they are spending their money on illegal substances, then obviously their welfare needs to be revoked. If they happen to die because of it... well it sucks to be them, maybe they should've made better decisions in their life.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

It's unfeasable. There's many people on welfare, due to disability and various other reasons. If you implement such a system, the costs of supporting these people will rise, and result in either higher taxes or worse support to these people.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6488|USA
sooo much money involved in the testing.  who is going to pay for it? definitely not the people getting the welfare...
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6448|Communist Republic of CA, USA
With less people collecting it, we can use their money to fund the tests.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

well, how much irresponsibility must we overlook?

I honestly have little sympathy for drug addicts, it is well known and documented that drugs will kill you, and people do them anyway.

Yes, I'm aware they can't just stop, but thats why most people don't start.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6488|USA

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

so then have we 'won'? and what comes to the people who fail the tests? do they move out to the streets and/or contribute less to society?

Last edited by CoronadoSEAL (2008-03-05 21:33:33)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

As for the whole drug testing scheme.

Have buses or something that goes around and travels to different parts of cities and towns and the people on welfare must show up to the drug test. A couple days later when the results are in, their check will go in the mail if they passed. But what about the few people on welfare who have jobs? Well they can schedule an alternate time to go into some center or something and get a drug test. But won't this process delay people from receiving their checks and will be unable to pay rent, etc.? Not really, just make them go in during the middle of the month and by the time the results are in and their checks are out, they'll get their check for the next month right on time.

So many people abuse welfare, and it's up to the middle and upper classes to pay the taxes to fund lazy people. Welfare needs reform, and this could be a step in the right direction.

And as for the drug users that stop receiving welfare, they get kicked out onto the street, eventually die off, and there's one less unimportant member of society gone. Time for them to face the harsh reality that drugs are bad and their life goes nowhere with them. Oh no but then our homeless population will increase! Well, this is why I support the execution of homeless people No, kidding. But the growth in homeless people will be a problem, so what to do about that?

Last edited by mtb0minime (2008-03-05 21:34:45)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

so then have we 'won'? and what comes to the people who fail the tests? do they move out to the streets and/or contribute less to society?
fuck them. that money is to help them out between jobs. not to get them high
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

While I agree the logistics would present a challenge, the concept is a good one.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

[Idea came to me from an email]
If I have to pass a piss test to get/keep a job, from which I pay taxes to help such establishments such as Welfare, shouldn't people recieving welfare checks have to pass a piss test to receive them?  Seems fair to me.
Sounds like a great idea, this could be the first stage of a, "weeding out the rif raf", process. I am alll for it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Hmmmmm, forcing them to choose to buy drugs or food....Hmmmmmmmmm, I will say yeah, if drug users CHOOSE to starve to death I can live with that as well. As long as the tax payers do not have to flip the bill for sticking their sorry asses into the ground.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

sooo much money involved in the testing.  who is going to pay for it? definitely not the people getting the welfare...
No doubt the money spent would be off set by the money saved by kicking ineligible receivers the fuck off of welfare
ReTox
+100|6469|State of RETOXification
I can't believe the ignorance here.  Some of these responses read like the babblings of a 12 year old with no concept of adult life.

Basically you want to have a policy that implies everyone on welfare is a drug addict.  Have you ever been on welfare?  Probably not so you have no fucking clue what you are on about.

Talk about insulting those who are down on their luck... like telling a rape victim they need to take a lie detector test to make sure they really need the support groups and medical help.  Yes there are people who abuse it and the regular meetings with their social working should help weed that out but the majority of those on welfare are there because they need it... not because they're tooling for a buzz.

I really hope you find out some day what hardship is... maybe you'll have a revelation and finally understand the meaning of "colossally stupid".
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
retox, i agree with some of the things you said.

however, there are many problems with welfare.
off the top of my head:
my mother was involved in the big brother/big sister program.
she got matched up with a girl who had like 6 siblings, and they constantly moved from place to place....none were ever consistently in school and there was rampant drug use happening in the house, not too mention her mothers boyfriend that sexually abused her.
what im getting at is this....there is a certain group of people in society that see children as nothing more than a meal ticket...giving birth again=more money. her sixteen year old sister had a baby cause her mother told her too......to get more money.
so maybe a license for having children should be up there with the urine testing thing.

as far as urine tests go, yes i do think they should take them.
i have personally sold dope to people that got money from the government....so, ya i have seen it happen with my own eyes.

they dont like it? well maybe it will be that much more motivation to have the government stop holding their hands.
anyway, my two cents.
ReTox
There is no doubt that abuse of the system happens but blaming everyone for the sins of a few is not the way to go.  Making someone take a drug test with the assumption they're a drug addict looking for their next fix is humiliating to those who truly need the help.  Imagine having to be searched every time you leave a store because someone shoplifted there at one time.  Dragnets for government policy are always a bad idea.  Too many innocents get hurt that way... just ask the US Japanese during WWII.

I do support social workers requesting a drug test if they have suspicions and some shred of proof to back it up but other than that I thought we lived in countries where you are innocent until proven guilty.

Then again, the west is changing... and not for the better.

Last edited by ReTox (2008-03-06 08:21:03)

G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6596|Sea to globally-cooled sea
Don't people have to pay income tax on welfare checks?  (lol!)

maybe they should have to pay a peepeetax too.  take it out of their checks.  Goodness knows, we honest hard-working folk get welfare taken out of our checks, and we're not collecting.

Last edited by G3|Genius (2008-03-06 08:22:05)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Pretty much everyone working for the government has to take random urine tests without any suspicion...why would those receiving welfare be held to a different standard?

It's not assuming that they are taking drugs just because they are on welfare, it's telling them that a condition for them to receive the welfare benefit is that they be drug-free.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Parker
isteal

ReTox wrote:

There is no doubt that abuse of the system happens but blaming everyone for the sins of a few is not the way to go.  Making someone take a drug test with the assumption they're a drug addict looking for their next fix is humiliating to those who truly need the help.  Imagine having to be searched every time you leave a store because someone shoplifted there at one time.  Dragnets for government policy are always a bad idea.  Too many innocents get hurt that way... just ask the US Japanese during WWII.

I do support social workers requesting a drug test if they have suspicions and some shred of proof to back it up but other than that I thought we lived in countries where you are innocent until proven guilty.

ya, but heres the thing....i dont look at it as forcing people to do it.
if i go and get a job, they will make me piss in a cup. if i want the job, i do it, or dont get money.

i think its the same theory.....were you offended when you had to pee in a cup for your job, or did you just know that was how it works?
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6497|Milkystania, yurop

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yes throw in the drugdealers rapists kiddyfiddler, murderers and fatties to
ReTox

Parker wrote:

ReTox wrote:

if i go and get a job, they will make me piss in a cup. if i want the job, i do it, or dont get money.

i think its the same theory.....were you offended when you had to pee in a cup for your job, or did you just know that was how it works?
I've never had to give a urine sample for anything except medical procedures.  I didn't even need to do it when I joined the military.  I was asked if I had taken drugs and said yes I smoked pot... "how long ago"... months I said.  Still wasn't asked to take a drug screening test.  In fact I was complimented on telling the truth.

I live in Canada though, I learned in school about national heroes who design universal health care and draft the UN charter of human rights for everyone.  Maybe I'm idealistic but discrimination based on a stereotype just isn't in my human nature or nurture and I do see this idea of welfare recipients as drug abusers as a stereotype.

I guess First Nations people should pass a breathalyzer before receiving their benefits as well?
Parker
isteal

ReTox wrote:

Parker wrote:

ReTox wrote:

I've never had to give a urine sample for anything except medical procedures.  I didn't even need to do it when I joined the military.  I was asked if I had taken drugs and said yes I smoked pot... "how long ago"... months I said.  Still wasn't asked to take a drug screening test.  In fact I was complimented on telling the truth.

I live in Canada though, I learned in school about national heroes who design universal health care and draft the UN charter of human rights for everyone.  Maybe I'm idealistic but discrimination based on a stereotype just isn't in my human nature or nurture and I do see this idea of welfare recipients as drug abusers as a stereotype.

I guess First Nations people should pass a breathalyzer before receiving their benefits as well?
well, i guess you are lucky that you havent been subjected to the same stereotypical discrimination that most of us have had to endure to find employment.
or is it different cause we are being paid by a company, and not the government?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
If I was in power in England that is the sort of thing people would be seeing, enough of these freeloading cunts. Cant prove your trying to get a job by not taking drugs etc? Then fuck off.
ReTox

Parker wrote:

well, i guess you are lucky that you havent been subjected to the same stereotypical discrimination that most of us have had to endure to find employment.
or is it different cause we are being paid by a company, and not the government?
Companies in Canada have provisions for drug screening the same as the US but it is my understanding that those screenings are usually limited to those positions that require high security, life and limb (doctors, EMTs), or top executive positions.  But that is speculation, I know no one who has actually had to take a drug test to gain employment.  In fact, everyone I know who has a government job has never been asked to provide for a drug test.  Including my parents who together have worked for the government for over 50 years.

I wonder, if it is quite common in the US to have drug tests, if it isn't just paranoia or a companies desire to hold power over it's employees.  Maybe there are government funds available to those business' who are fighting the "war on drugs"?  IDK.

Last edited by ReTox (2008-03-06 09:10:06)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard