kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6836|Bryan/College Station, TX
Ok, so by now everyone should know that typing renderer.drawfps 1 in the console (~ key) will display frames per second while playing.

Now here is my question. A long long time ago (almost two years ago, yes it's been that long) on THIS very forum, someone actually posted the way to make this renderer command always be up by default. So when you loaded into a game it was already showing. My home computer, which has had BF2 installed for a very long time now, has this command set some place and it always shows my FPS. I never have to type in renderer when I start up the game.

I know from my scattered memory that it involves either typing renderer.drawfps into the console and typing a save command of some sort. Or it involves modifying a file in BF2 or in your personal profile settings to have it auto load, essentially typing it in for you at game start up without you having to do anything. Since I've reinstalled BF2 since inputing this modification I tend to believe its a mod with a file under my profile.

After an very extensive google and forums search (many including this one) through every single tweak guide on the bloody net I have found absolutely nothing to demonstrate this process. I know it exists as it obviously has been done to my install of BF2. Just so damn long ago I've forgotten how to do it.

Does anyone have a clue what the series of steps would be to recreate this wonder?

Perhaps the all powerful super owner Chuyskywalker will take pity on my ancient bones and dig up this tidbit of info.

Cheers.

P.S. Oh and greetings from the great beyond. If an ancient like myself can still be playing BF2 in some form (Currently BF2 Mod PR 0.7 which kicks much ass) then anyone can.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2008-03-04 08:22:52)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Fateless
+36|6234|Jennifer Connellys Pants
Have you tried putting the command at the end of the target line on the shortcut? Not sure if that would work, but worth a try.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX
Great question, hope you get the answer you are seeking.  I want it too!
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6514
i wish i knew too.

also, i would like to know how to keep game.lockfps 0 enabled at all times, but those two things probably go hand in hand.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6434|SoCal
Add it to C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings\Usersettings.con

Make Usersettings.con Read Only.

You have to do this for each mod directory (xpack1, and whatever mods you play)
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX
OK MR geNius... whats the code that I need to add to the user.com?  /sarcism

ig wrote:

also, i would like to know how to keep game.lockfps 0 enabled at all times, but those two things probably go hand in hand.
What does that do? Im a nub

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2008-03-04 12:20:13)

geNius
..!.,
+144|6434|SoCal

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

What does that do? Im a nub
It uncaps your frames per second, so your machine will go as high as it is capable.

At the bottom of Usersettings.con, add the lines:

game.lockps 0
renderer.drawfps 1

Save it, then right click it and go to Properties.

Check read-only, and hit OK.

Done.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX
Ah hah! thanks man +1
geNius
..!.,
+144|6434|SoCal
Don't forget to do this for each mod directory that you play with.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6514
damn thanks man
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6140|San Antonio, Texas
Wow, very nice!
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
Well I have been looking for the answer to this question for a long long time now. Thank you for answering it! +1

Someone might want to think about adding that to the tweak guide for future reference.

Edit Add:

Ok I found that this modification actually doesn't work but I have found out what DOES work and here it is (at least for the PR mod)

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\Name_of_mod_here

Name_of_mod_here can be any mod be it \bf2  or \pr  as is it in my case.

file: gamelogicint.con

Add at the end of the file:   renderer.drawfps 1

Save and then start up BF2.

I have tested with and without the usersettings.con modification and have found that it only works with the mod of the gamelogicint.con file.

So good try genius but it seems this is the way it works.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2008-03-04 23:28:07)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
geNius
..!.,
+144|6434|SoCal
I'm not sure what you're talking about.  It works.  I'm guessing you didn't make your files "read only".

Last edited by geNius (2008-03-05 10:49:52)

kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
No I did make the usersettings.con file Read Only and it didn't work for me. It wasn't until I added it to the gamelogicint.con file that it started working. I even removed the line from the usersettings.con file and it still works so obvious, at least for me, it didn't work. Not sure why but it works this way. So it's an alternative for others who don't work with the usersetttings.con file modification. There may be two ways to do it for all I know. *shrug*

Players, use whichever one works for you.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5987
How will I notice a difference? I drop down to 35 FPS when recording, would this allow me to get maybe, 40-50 FPS when recording?
Lurch_454
+5|6597
I'm guessing no on that, but it's worth a shot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard