Poll

Would the world be better off without religion.

yes50%50% - 40
no32%32% - 26
I don't know16%16% - 13
Total: 79
bonedoc69
+36|6449|Eugene, Oregon U.S.A.
What do you think, I saw this poll on another website and was wondering what you all thought. Please give a reason for the response you give.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6432|The Gem Saloon
yep.

more friendly.......
or maybe not....might be a lack of a moral compass for the sheep.....
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6374|Oregon
No it would not.
Although I myself am atheist, I believe religion does more good than bad. And if there weren't religious wars, there would be wars for other reasons.

edit: And long time no see! You're the only other Eugene member I know of!

Last edited by djphetal (2008-03-03 22:15:27)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6693

No; religion brings a lot of people together and it's a good idea... and I'm agnostic. And besides, if we weren't fighting over religion, we'd something else petty to fight over.
Home
Section.80
+447|6886|Seattle, Washington, USA

I'm not sure. I think it is debatable. I think if religion just suddenly dropped off the face of the Earth right now then we would not be better off. But I think if we had gone through history without religion ever existing we probably would.

It's a tough question because it has to be considered that for some people, religion is their only moral guide. On the other hand, religion has caused quite a bit of violence, conflict, and bigotry, and it has and continues to hinder social and scientific development.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6804|Cambridge (UK)
I don't think a world without religion is possible, but I do think it would be a better world without it.
jason85
Banned
+58|6035|Mesa, AZ
Thats one of those yes and no questions. Most people who have religion in their lives and aren't hypocrites about it are peaceful and helpful. They are, for the most part, good people. Most people learn morals through religion, look at the 10 Commandments. If we didn't have religion there might be more chaos in the world, whether through actual willingness to be good or through fear of getting sent to hell. But then you look back at history and find that many wars have been fought over religion, and it is still a major thing that people fight about. If it hadn't been for religion we'd still have an extra 4000 or so men and women in the military, and however many Iraqis and Afghanis.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6744
How the hell are we supposed to know?  It would have completely changed the course of history.  Religion did set a down morals, but than it was used as justification for some very immoral activities.  Neither I nor anybody else could accurately predict the course of history if religion had not come into existence.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6744
Well if I had to guess, I woujld say no, the world would not be any better off without religion.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6516|Communist Republic of CA, USA
This thread reminds me of the Southpark 3 series run on a world run by atheists.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6563|South Florida
Nope.
The world would not be better off without religion.
Most people love having faith in a higher being, it helps cope.

However, its when people lose faith in themselves, that religion becomes the enemy.
15 more years! 15 more years!
bonedoc69
+36|6449|Eugene, Oregon U.S.A.

Mitch wrote:

However, its when people lose faith in themselves, that religion becomes the enemy.
Can you please explain this statement further? I don't understand how you came to this opinion.

Last edited by bonedoc69 (2008-03-04 00:24:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6810|PNW

bonedoc69 wrote:

yes
no
I don't know
Yes: As we don't have a world without religion handy to compare with ours, this option is invalid.
No: See yes.
I don't know: Best. answer. Ever.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6267|NSW, Australia

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

This thread reminds me of the Southpark 3 series run on a world run by atheists.
is that the one in the future when there are 3 groups of atheists and they fight over what they should be called, and cartman is like theyre leader or something

and he calls himself in the past because he doesnt want to freeze himself because he wanted to play xbox 360 or something
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6685
Maybe. Nobody can predict what would have happened in the past or in the future.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6267|NSW, Australia

baby jesus can
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6848|Nårvei

This isn't about if there is a God or not but how religion is practiced and how it function.

The major religions we have in the world today is imho the biggest marketing stunt ever pulled and the intention was to calm the masses, before Christianity and Islam there where all these pagan cultures believing in whatever was close them like threes, rocks, water or visible item such as the sun - then as now those believes caused conflicts, smaller conflicts but more often ...

To sum it up: When looking at the wars and conflicts the last 2K years i don't think the project was a total sucess
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6781|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
i've voted "no" because it is the Divine that raises us above  animals. However, I firmly believe that history teaches that Church and State must be separated. Government must be a secular affair and people must have the free choice to believe whatever they want to believe without fear of reprisal or persecution.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6796|Argentina
No.  You are free to join or not any Religion.  The question is Would the world better off without extremism?  And if anyone here thinks Religion is the cause of the conflicts today well you are very wrong.  It's all about borders, land and resources.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-03-04 02:30:57)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6800

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6796|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

You post while having sex?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6659|London, England

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine wrote:

STALLOWN3D!!!"!£!"£

----------------------------------------------------

But it would be better without religion, who is a better person. Someone who does something good, even though they beleive there is nothing in the afterlife. Or someone who is doing good just because they don't want to go to hell or they want to get their 72 virgins or they don't want to be re-incarnated as an ant.
Varegg
+2,206|6848|Nårvei

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Predictable tbh
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6800

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Well since you are married I understand your lack of sex.  Technology has come a long way.
Varegg
+2,206|6848|Nårvei

sergeriver wrote:

No.  You are free to join or not any Religion.  The question is Would the world better off without extremism?  And if anyone here thinks Religion is the cause of the conflicts today well you are very wrong.  It's all about borders, land and resources.
Some religions are not at all tolerant about not believing Serge, you know that ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard