Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6743|London

I am currently with Sky broadband, who were absolutely terrible at first (Constant packet loss, always loosing connection and their support team were about as useful as asking some bum on the street what to do). I wanted to change ISP as soon as possible, but I was still within the 12 month minimum contract. But after a few months those problems went away (apart from the useless support team), so I decided to stay with them. But now it seems they have decided to reduce my speed from 1.5MBps to 800KBps.

Edit: I've since found out that the speed was apparently lowered to 800 because the earthquake hit them pretty bad. But I still want to change to another provider

I am on the 16Mb package and I download at 1.5MBps (from newsgroups), so the new ISP must be at least that speed or higher.

Which ISP do you guys recommend?

Last edited by Dauntless (2008-03-03 09:56:16)

https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Did that just happen these last 2 days?
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6382|Bromley, London

I had Virgin Cable.... they where good a reliable but expensive, however there tech support costs you a lot of money, you need to phone a 0906 number to talk to them. They said I should get 4Mbs, I got 3.99 something over wireless so that was pretty win.

Now I am with talk talk..free but well I just get over 1Mbs now.
HaawwK
+31|5986|Bolton
iv no idea whats the best, (maybe BeThere) but whatever you do DONT get virgin media...
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6382|Bromley, London

HaawwK wrote:

iv no idea whats the best, (maybe BeThere) but whatever you do DONT get virgin media...
hmm I think there main problems are with ADSL internet.

Their internet that comes via cable isn't that bad.

BT?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland
Rule out BT Telecommunications too. Nothing but trouble - especially on the subject of newsgroups / rapidshare / similar.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6743|London

Zimmer wrote:

Did that just happen these last 2 days?
Yeah, did you get the same thing? It happend either yesterday or today.

Last edited by Dauntless (2008-02-28 12:40:19)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Hmmm, I'm looking into this too for next year. Virgin seem to have some good deals, but I shouldn't get them?
0akleaves
+183|6615|Newcastle UK

HaawwK wrote:

hope so im in the middle of a switch over 2 them.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
B1GBUD
+17|6597|Under an Artillery Shell
I have 20Mb Virgin Cable into a Draytek 2910. VPN and Remote Desktop via dyndns has never failed me.

Highly recommended
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6585|England
Any Entanet reseller or BE if you can get it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

I'm with Be. They're very good.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6743|London

Bertster7 wrote:

What package do you have and what's your max download speed?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Dauntless wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

What package do you have and what's your max download speed?
Can't remember what the package is called, it's 24Mb unlimited and I pay £24/month.

Max download speed? What do you mean? What sort of download? Highest total bandwidth throughput I've noticed has been about 15Mb/s.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6448|Boulder, CO
I'm with virgin and since last july i've had incredibly crappy ping (400+ permanently) and for several months i had truly aweful download speed which is still pretty bad, after a 4 hour session of repeated discussions with them online where their agents repeatedly just ignored me half way through a conversation and never talked to me again they told me that it did not count as faulty and effectivly told me to sod off.

I plan to go to be as soon as I can persuade the parents to swap it as they just cba.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6690|London, UK
anyone know if orange 8meg is good I am thinking of changing from my AOL 2meg cause I think my modem isnt working properly lol and their charging to much.....
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6765|mansfield
Im with Virgin, we pay 20 quid a month for unlimited  10 meg Broadband. Ive never had any  problems
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6562|Southampton, UK

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

Im with Virgin, we pay 20 quid a month for unlimited  10 meg Broadband. Ive never had any  problems
4Meg and they seem pretty good.
AnaalDuck
Lfc Are Crap
+14|6479|Liverpool, England
www.plus.net

Superb Connection,UK support.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
BT

Never had a problem with them that wasn't sorted out very quickly (and then it was only the one time just after we got upgraded to 8mb).
sinnik
+16|5999|@defamations pad taking notes.
I'd recommend finding out how close you are to your exchange - If it's close by then any ISP would be o.k (I live less than 10 mins walk away and get about 6Mbits on average) If the exchange is quite far away then go for someone like Be or virgin as I'm pretty sure they both use cable so you get a lot less degradation and faster speeds.
To give you an idea me and two friends use the cheap Orange service that comes with our mobile contracts. One mate lives about 10 mins further from the exchange and he gets about 0.5-1 Mbit less than me and the other friend live quite far away from his exchange and only gets about 2Mbits so the distance does make a huge difference.

@ Bullit - we are all on that 8Meg package with orange - They're OK but be prepared to spend quite a bit of time on phone to REALLY sucky foreign support team to get the best from them. I had to complain about 6 times about low speed (1.5 - 4 Mbit) before they got their finger out and got things sorted..
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

sinnik wrote:

I'd recommend finding out how close you are to your exchange - If it's close by then any ISP would be o.k (I live less than 10 mins walk away and get about 6Mbits on average) If the exchange is quite far away then go for someone like Be or virgin as I'm pretty sure they both use cable so you get a lot less degradation and faster speeds.
To give you an idea me and two friends use the cheap Orange service that comes with our mobile contracts. One mate lives about 10 mins further from the exchange and he gets about 0.5-1 Mbit less than me and the other friend live quite far away from his exchange and only gets about 2Mbits so the distance does make a huge difference.

@ Bullit - we are all on that 8Meg package with orange - They're OK but be prepared to spend quite a bit of time on phone to REALLY sucky foreign support team to get the best from them. I had to complain about 6 times about low speed (1.5 - 4 Mbit) before they got their finger out and got things sorted..
Mostly untrue.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6693|England
I have 2meg with virgin and my pings with british servers can be as low as 10, so i'm pretty happy with them. download speeds are about 200 on average. why would you say not to go with them?

Bertster7 wrote:

sinnik wrote:

Mostlytrue.
fixed4u

Last edited by Shadow893 (2008-03-02 10:32:15)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6453|Cambridge, UK

naightknifar wrote:

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

4Meg and they seem pretty good.
Same and free upgrade from 4 to 10 coming soon to all - and cuz its not ADSL that will be 10 rather than 'up to 10' = 1 ish 

(but note: Virgin Cable is good, Virgin ADSL is uber crap)
robcr9
+111|5982
for BE , is there a way to check what speed you would actually get?

i would like to know, cos im planning to migrate to BE in june

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard