blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6645
"Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice," wrote the poet Robert Frost. Astronomers, it turns out, are in the former camp.

A new calculation predicts that Earth will be swallowed up by the sun in 7.6 billion years, capping off a longstanding debate over whether the sun's gravitational pull will have weakened enough for Earth to escape final destruction or not.Other theorists have predicted that our planet will fry as the sun expands in its old age. But the time estimates have varied by a couple billion years.

"Although people have looked at these problems before, we would claim this is the best attempt that's been made to date, and probably the most reliable," said astronomer Robert Smith, emeritus reader at the U.K.'s University of Sussex, who made the new calculations with astronomer Klaus-Peter Schroeder of the University of Guanajuato in Mexico. "What we've done is to refine existing models and to put the best calculations we can at each point in the model."f 7.6 billion years doesn't sound like an urgent death sentence, don't relax yet. Regardless of whether Earth will ultimately be vaporized, as the sun heats up, our planet will become too hot to live on before then.

"After a billion years or so you've got an Earth with no atmosphere, no water and a surface temperature of hundreds of degrees, way above the boiling point of water," Smith told SPACE.com. "The Earth will become dry basically. It will become completely impossible for life of any kind to exist. It's a pretty gloomy forecast."Nonetheless, scientists are curious about the ultimate fate of our planet after we are gone (like all previous hominids and more than 99 percent of all species that have lived on Earth, humans will probably go extinct, and it will likely happen sooner than a billion years).But this scenario doesn't account for tidal forces, and the drag of the sun's outer layers. As the Earth orbits the sun, its smaller gravitational pull isn't completely negligible — it actually causes the side of the sun closest to our planet to hoard more mass and bulge out toward us.

"Just as the Earth is pulling on the sun's bulge, it's pulling on the Earth, and that causes the Earth to slow in its orbit," Smith said. "It will spiral back and finally end up inside the sun."

In addition, the gas that the sun expels will also drag Earth inward toward its demise.

Smith's previous calculations had ignored these effects.

"We didn't think it mattered, but it turns out it does," he said. "You might say our previous models had a gap."

There may even be hope for Earth. Some scientists have proposed a scheme for down the road to use the gravity of a passing asteroid to budge Earth out of the way of the sun toward cooler territory, assuming there is life around at the time that is intelligent enough to engineer this solution.

"It sounds like science fiction, but there's a group of people who have quite seriously suggested that it might be possible," Smith said. "If it's done right, that would just keep the Earth moving fast enough to keep it out of harm's way. Maybe life could go on for as much as 7 billion years."

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … .html?haha
David.P
Banned
+649|6274
Lurk Moar!
Mr Caek
You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
+12|5999|Lincoln, UK
Is it getting chilly around here?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6643
all good things must come to an end.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5932|CA
Everybody panic.
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6412|Belgium
I highly doubt this planet will still be inhabited by humans at that time.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6518|USA
i'm still going with the Mayan 2012 theory...
NantanCochise
+55|5978|Portugal/United States
Its getting real hot in here, oh look the ladies are taking off their clothes, .
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

The religious fruitcakes will have caused the demise of the human species long before anything like this has a chance to effect us.
Mr Caek
You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
+12|5999|Lincoln, UK

NantanCochise wrote:

Its getting real hot in here, oh look the ladies are taking off their clothes, .
Can I has pics?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

There was nothing special about the Mayans, they couldn't even hold off the Spaniards and keep their own culture. What language are Mayans speaking today, what religion are they

Exactly
kptk92
u
+972|6408|tc_london
lol cant wait
PureFodder
+225|6285
Don't worry if the sun expands and swallows the Earth, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Duck and Cover!

Last edited by PureFodder (2008-02-27 12:15:23)

CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6518|USA

Mek-Izzle wrote:

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

There was nothing special about the Mayans, they couldn't even hold off the Spaniards and keep their own culture. What language are Mayans speaking today, what religion are they

Exactly
lol
i only go with that ^ theory because it's the only one within my lifetime.  something inside of me wants to live during end times.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6355|England - Kent
Skin Cream?
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6296|Bloomington Indiana
woohoo...wait

damn...id like the 2012 thing too...then i could cash in my life savings and throw a massive "party to end all parties" and technically be telling the truth
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

The article fails to take into consideration that humans or their descendants and many other species (provided some other disaster doesn't consume the planet before then) will probably have moved on to different systems long before then. So saving Earth with asteroid nudges or some sort of booster will more likely have become a matter for archaeocurators to worry about.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-02-27 14:47:54)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

Exactly
lol
i only go with that ^ theory because it's the only one within my lifetime.  something inside of me wants to live during end times.
lol, same here

As Homer Simpson said

"Well World, I always thought I was gonna see the end of you"

or something like that.  Before he attempts to commit suicide off the tall building
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Everything has to come to an end some time. I'm just glad I won't live to be a billion
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Also, our galaxy is overdue for a few supernovas. On average the Milky Way gets them about twice every century. We haven't seen one in over four hundred years (in our galaxy).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
dimascurtu
+5|5912
7.6 billion you mean..
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

Yup.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Art Bell would be proud.^^ I'm still waiting for y2k to kick in.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FallenMorgan
+53|5914|Glendale, CA
Humans won't exist 7 billion years from now.  This is because we can assume that we'd evolve, despite the lack of natural selection.  Certain things will atrophy, such as bodily hair, humans may evolve four fingers, because the little finger largely has little use.  We might evolve also if we assume that by the year 7,000,000,000 CE we'd have a terraformed Mars and everything, and maybe other things.  I dunno, but it's unlikely that as the animal world evolves, we'd remain the same old way we are, despite the thing I mentioned about natural selection.
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6258|B.C. Canada
The way they describe earth when/if the sun gets bigger sounds alot like the way mars is now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard