RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6498|Somewhere else

For those of you that haven't heard:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic … te/?page=1

I started to wonder, and imagine.  Conspiracy nuts, gather round!

I don't necissarily think what I'm about to post is what's going on, but I wonder.

I wonder, could this be a lie, and the U.S. instead conducted thier first trial run of destroying ENEMY spy satellites?  When China had begun researching the same Idea, it raised a few eyebrows.

Now, with the U.S. not in great standing militarily politically speaking, could this have been a quiet way of testing another war tactic, slightely under the radar?

NOTE:  I realize this isn't quite D&ST.  But I wanted it to be a valid point, and want the shenanigesn to be at a minimum.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-02-21 10:07:56)

LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6398|MN
I wouldn't call it under the radar.  Lots of people are talking about how it was probably just a good excuse to conduct a test.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Reciprocity
+721|6599|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I think we've had some capacity to shoot down satellites since the 80's.

but I wouldn't put it past our government to launch a "malfunctioning" satellite into orbit just to shoot it down.  especially after what the chinese did.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6342|New Haven, CT
Wasn't the satellite launched before the Chinese did their test?
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6398|MN
Yes it was.  I don't think that was a planned failure, but who knows for sure. 

I will bet they sure weren't going to miss the opportunity to keep up with the Chan's if given the chance.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6409

There was more anger when China did the same.  Then again, what can I expect?
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6398|MN
They said that they were testing the capability.  The US used better spin doctors.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6429|'Murka

RoosterCantrell wrote:

I wonder, could this be a lie, and the U.S. instead conducted thier first trial run of destroying ENEMY spy satellites?  When China had begun researching the same Idea, it raised a few eyebrows.
No. I would call it serendipity. It needed to be done (hydrazine is bad shit) and we got some decent data out of it.

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Now, with the U.S. not in great standing militarily speaking, could this have been a quiet way of testing another war tactic, slightely under the radar?
How is the US not in "great standing militarily speaking"? I think you mean politically speaking. Answer is still no. This can't be at all described as "under the radar". We announced we were going to do it far in advance...unlike the Chinese ASAT test.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6400|the land of bourbon
this wasn't even a test of an anti-sat weapon.  like the others said, we've had anti-sat missles since the 80's.  the missle used for this was primarily for anit-ballistic missles.  they modified it to hit the satellite for this particular mission.  if anything, it's more of a missle defense test than an anti-satellite test.

and fuck russia and china imo.  why are they so pissed?  because we just made their entire nulcear missle stockpile obsolete?  gg kthxbi.

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-02-21 07:13:49)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
steelie34
pub hero!
i'm still looking for a video of this.  so far all i've seen is a video of a video.  does anyone have the original file given out by the us mil?
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6848|Grapevine, TX

steelie34 wrote:

this wasn't even a test of an anti-sat weapon.  like the others said, we've had anti-sat missles since the 80's.  the missle used for this was primarily for anit-ballistic missles.  they modified it to hit the satellite for this particular mission.  if anything, it's more of a missle defense test than an anti-satellite test.

and fuck russia and china imo.  why are they so pissed?  because we just made their entire nuclear missile stockpile obsolete?  gg kthxbi.
Yeah but complaining about the (misrepresented) hypocrisy of the US is more fun
https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/rim-161a.jpg
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6149|North Tonawanda, NY
^^The Image (T)eflon(S)hadow wanted^^

https://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5238/rim161ahy7.jpg
theelviscerator
+19|6307
I just wonder why we don't admit it, its a good reason to test it..to see if we can....

and the answer is YES, China and Russia..

We can shoot down your junk..

So there..
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6018|...
It wasn't just test, I'm sure the US military was confident their anti sat missiles would work. The biggest concern would be if the whole thing landed inside a country who would like to get their hands on top notch american technology. (Russia and china actually stated they were interested in the sattelite.)
inane little opines
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

theelviscerator wrote:

I just wonder why we don't admit it, its a good reason to test it..to see if we can....

and the answer is YES, China and Russia..

We can shoot down your junk..

So there..
There was nothing to admit.  Anti-satellite weapons have existed for some time (as already pointed out).  China and Russia know the US can take out higher-orbit satellites.  The stated reason for destroying it is to eliminate the hydrazine on it, but it was more likely to keep the parts from falling onto the wrong hands.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6848|Grapevine, TX
steelie34
pub hero!

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

RAW Video: Pentagon Releases Video of Rocket Attack boom. GG Navy.
yes! finally... u da man!

look at this shit:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/ap_ … _satellite

they have the nerve to call us hypocrites after they just fucking test their own anti-sat weapon.

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-02-21 09:35:59)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Kmarion wrote:

A little better.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2 … hoot7a.cnn

Check out this high def photo of the launch.

They needed steady seas, had a time window of only a few seconds to shoot, and were aiming at something no bigger than a bus, and they still got it. Man, did they ever:
[Marine Gen. James Cartwright] estimated there was an 80-90 percent chance that the missile struck the most important target on the satellite — its fuel tank, containing 1,000 pounds of hydrazine, which Pentagon officials say could have posed a health hazard to humans if it had landed in a populated area…

The size of the debris is smaller than the Pentagon had forecast and most of the satellite’s intelligence value was likely destroyed, Cartwright said. Though the Pentagon has played down that aspect of the shootdown, analysts had said one of the reasons for the operation was that officials worried that without it, larger chunks of the satellite could fall and be recovered, opening the possibility of secret technology falling into the hands of the Chinese or others.

steelie34 wrote:

they have the nerve to call us hypocrites after they just fucking test their own anti-sat weapon.
Unlike Beijing, which gave no notice before using a missile to pulverize a disabled weather satellite in January 2007, Washington discussed its plans at length and insisted it was not a test.

Subsequent requests by U.S. officials for more information were ignored and none of Beijing's recent statements mentioned China's own satellite shootdown.

China's anti-satellite test was also criticized for being more dangerous. The targeted satellite was located about 500 miles above the earth and the resulting debris threatened communication satellites and other orbiting space vehicles. Foreign space experts and governments labeled China a space litterbug.

Still, the distinction between the two actions may be lost for many, said Denny Roy, an expert on the Chinese military at the East-West Center in Honolulu.

"What the Americans (have done) greatly undercuts the condemnation heaped on China last year," Roy said. While the circumstances are different, that is "a fine point that is easily overlooked," he said.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6733|US
Hydrazine and top secret technology are two good reasons to shoot it down.  The US can take out satellites with air launched missiles, if we want to.  That technology has been around since the 1980s.  The US got pissed at China because they left a bunch of debris in a low-earth orbit...which is where we like to fly spy satellites.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6848|Grapevine, TX
Not only is it amazing the accuracy of the missile, but the optics that captured the explosion  approximately 160 miles up. In the dark. Through the clouds
steelie34
pub hero!

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Not only is it amazing the accuracy of the missile, but the optics that captured the explosion  approximately 160 miles up. In the dark. Through the clouds
ture dat.  just imagine the other videos they have that we won't get to see....

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-02-21 10:05:50)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6498|Somewhere else

FEOS wrote:

I think you mean politically speaking.
Yes, bad choice of words I guess. I was kinda refferring to Bush wielding the military in a bullying way.

After reading these posts, I am getting MORE suspicious that it wasn't to protect against a hydrazine spill, but in fact a inetnitonal test run.
Christbane
+51|6253

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

that is the part that amazed me too.  I expected it to hit.   but how the hell do they get that footage
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

RoosterCantrell wrote:

After reading these posts, I am getting MORE suspicious that it wasn't to protect against a hydrazine spill, but in fact a inetnitonal test run.
Why?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Christbane wrote:

that is the part that amazed me too.  I expected it to hit.   but how the hell do they get that footage
They probably tracked it in the infrared spectrum.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard