FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

I think that was the A-12 or some other stealth strike aircraft that never even made it off the drawing board before it was cancelled in the 90's. The SH is really a stopgap for the USN as well until the F-35 comes on line. Had to get something to replace the F-14 and older F-18 models.

Being a USAF guy, I agree there are better alternatives...I already named the best one: F-15E.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

FEOS wrote:

I think that was the A-12 or some other stealth strike aircraft that never even made it off the drawing board before it was cancelled in the 90's. The SH is really a stopgap for the USN as well until the F-35 comes on line. Had to get something to replace the F-14 and older F-18 models.

Being a USAF guy, I agree there are better alternatives...I already named the best one: F-15E.
Oh ok cool. u still serve in USAF?
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6224|Brisneyland

FEOS wrote:

It wasn't a knock on your AF or on the jet itself...it's a matter of how old the aircraft is. As they get older, the maintenance time, resources, and cost get exponentially greater. Many times that is masked by the fine troops busting their asses on the flight line and in depot keeping the birds airworthy.

I suppose it helps that you guys have a massive pile of spare parts for your F-111s sitting in the Arizona desert.
what you are saying is true. I did a quick search on F111 ad found some maintenance issues , however they seemed to be pretty well under control. You are right in saying that it may get worse as they get older. I do think they are awesome machines though. They defintely have a lot of life left in them yet. It would be so hard to find a plane with the same range as the F111, it really is huge. I do realise that it has very little air to air capability though, but I guess thats not the point.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It wasn't a knock on your AF or on the jet itself...it's a matter of how old the aircraft is. As they get older, the maintenance time, resources, and cost get exponentially greater. Many times that is masked by the fine troops busting their asses on the flight line and in depot keeping the birds airworthy.

I suppose it helps that you guys have a massive pile of spare parts for your F-111s sitting in the Arizona desert.
what you are saying is true. I did a quick search on F111 ad found some maintenance issues , however they seemed to be pretty well under control. You are right in saying that it may get worse as they get older. I do think they are awesome machines though. They defintely have a lot of life left in them yet. It would be so hard to find a plane with the same range as the F111, it really is huge. I do realise that it has very little air to air capability though, but I guess thats not the point.
better to have a plane that does one job really well than a plane that does several jobs badly? lol
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Only none of the alternatives discussed do any of their jobs "badly".
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

FEOS wrote:

Only none of the alternatives discussed do any of their jobs "badly".
Yer really i wasnt talking about this specific case, just in general...
geNius
..!.,
+144|6443|SoCal
Either way, you still won't have the F-22.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
The Eurofighter or the Rafal are Australia's best bet for air superiority at the moment.  They can both best the modern Sukhois (in simulation).

For strike fighters, the F-15E and SU-32 are probably the best out there.
GR34
+215|6546|ALBERTA> CANADA
Yes that plane sucks we should all buy F-35 II**Cough** Canada **Cough** and be done with it.

Or buy Some F-302's and a BC-304 Ship

Last edited by GR34 (2008-02-21 10:51:11)

cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6291|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

GR34 wrote:

Yes that plane sucks we should all buy F-35 II**Cough** Canada **Cough** and be done with it.

Well, your government already has orders for the F-35. However, since the F-35 hasn't entered full production yet, you'll just have to live with the CF-18.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

To be honest, 24 isn't really that many, and even if the plane is slightly less maneuverable than Chinese fighters, it is better stealthed and has better weaponry.
Its stealth capabilities are very limited... really it just looks good on paper to say its stealthy...
You obviously don't want to believe this plane is much better than you think it is.

And the F-18E/Fs are really either the F-20s or F-24 (I can't remember which). They were called F-18s to convince members of Congress that they were financing an upgrade program, not a new plane as the F-18E/F basically is.
GR34
+215|6546|ALBERTA> CANADA

cowami wrote:

GR34 wrote:

Well, your government already has orders for the F-35. However, since the F-35 hasn't entered full production yet, you'll just have to live with the CF-18.
We did? Really??? YAYA . Is it going to Replace the CF-18 or are we going to have 2 fighters? I think I might have to join the air force now!
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6291|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

GR34 wrote:

cowami wrote:

GR34 wrote:

We did? Really??? YAYA . Is it going to Replace the CF-18 or are we going to have 2 fighters? I think I might have to join the air force now!
It'll replace the CF-18 (though for a short time, of course, you'll have both in your inventory).
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin

Nappy wrote:

who cares if the us doesnt like what planes we buy?

i thikn they drive crappy cars, but thats their choice to make ( when i say crappy i mean, i dont like them, if i had the choice between an american car and a jap car, id probly go jap car)

tbh i dont know anything about real life fighters and stuff

i just know how to fly cessnas and other small aircraft like piper etc etc
and have a small knowledge on flying jetliners and stuff
I'd rather you don't buy our airplanes except for our old stuff, and by the way our cars would be better if our politicians would quit making restrictions.

Last edited by War Man (2008-02-21 22:33:15)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

To be honest, 24 isn't really that many, and even if the plane is slightly less maneuverable than Chinese fighters, it is better stealthed and has better weaponry.
Its stealth capabilities are very limited... really it just looks good on paper to say its stealthy...
You obviously don't want to believe this plane is much better than you think it is.

And the F-18E/Fs are really either the F-20s or F-24 (I can't remember which). They were called F-18s to convince members of Congress that they were financing an upgrade program, not a new plane as the F-18E/F basically is.
Well im just basing me opinion about their stealth capabilities on documentaries...

but i mean... it still has external weapons and fuel tanks?? so i can never be as stealthy as F-35, B-2,F-111
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Well im just basing me opinion about their stealth capabilities on documentaries...

but i mean... it still has external weapons and fuel tanks?? so i can never be as stealthy as F-35, B-2,F-111
It can't. But compared to an Su-30 or Su-33, it is good. That is really all that matters.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

It can't. But compared to an Su-30 or Su-33, it is good. That is really all that matters.
True... but Australia has always felt secure because we have always been far superior in our Air Force than anyone else in our reigon... really we need to be 3 cuts above the rest... not 1.

With a country with 10x our population just to our north, that isnt vert happy with us and is an islamic country (im not trying to be racist or say that indonesia are gonna invade us tomorrow.)

but we really need a very good air force (in comparison.. ours will never measure up to americas)

anyways....
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

True... but Australia has always felt secure because we have always been far superior in our Air Force than anyone else in our reigon... really we need to be 3 cuts above the rest... not 1.

With a country with 10x our population just to our north, that isnt vert happy with us and is an islamic country (im not trying to be racist or say that indonesia are gonna invade us tomorrow.)

but we really need a very good air force (in comparison.. ours will never measure up to americas)

anyways....
Why would anyone invade Australia anyways?

Yes, you do. but you also have to remember that any attack on Australia would be answered by Britain and the U.S. It isn't like your air force would be alone in repelling the Chinese, Indians, or Indonesians.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

anyways....

Yes, you do. but you also have to remember that any attack on Australia would be answered by Britain and the U.S. It isn't like your air force would be alone in repelling the Chinese, Indians, or Indonesians.
Yer completely hypothetical situation... yer but we would rather they didnt invade in the first place lol
and its also good for us to have a first strike capability.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

anyways....

Yer completely hypothetical situation... yer but we would rather they didnt invade in the first place lol
The F-18E/F has this capability.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

But there are alot of planes that do it better.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Such as?

Not the F-35, though, since we know that won't be here until 2020.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-02-22 01:17:54)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Such as?

Well in first strike terms... id say the F-15, F-111, B-2, B-1 and possibly the Rafale F3 all perform better. but i cant be bothered looking for facts lol.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

There is absolutely nothing stealthy about the F-111. It was developed long before stealth technology was invented.

BTW, the F-22 can carry external weapons and tanks, as well. No the SH doesn't have an internal bay, but even with the pylons loaded, it's still more stealthy than the older F-18s.
― Albert Einstein

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Such as?

Well in first strike terms... id say the F-15, F-111, B-2, B-1 and possibly the Rafale F3 all perform better. but i cant be bothered looking for facts lol.
F-15E's are no better than the F-18E/F and cannot be used on a carrier. The F-111 can't defend itself. The B-2 and B-1 are not really strike aircraft. I'm not sure about the Rafale F3.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard