HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5952|Washington DC
Great idea. But it sucks if you live in a house like mine. Two floors, dense walls (which probably have lead and asbestos in them). My PC is only 30ish feet away from the router, if that. But because it's so conveniently located behind two walls, my signal is bad.

Don't get me started on my poor PS3. The TV is on the 1st floor, the router is on the 2nd floor. The signal has to travel through a wall, through a floor, and through some stairs probably... just to reach my PS3. I'm lucky if I get a 20% signal.

It's also unreliable. I'll be sitting on my PC when suddenly I just get disconnected. I actually think the culprit is my WiFi card (it's old as hell) but I still hate wireless.

I'd use powerline networking except the electrical wiring in this house is probably older than electricity itself, so I'd have shitty latency anyways. And please don't tell me to set up my own ethernet wiring. I do not want cables lying all over the house, I don't want to attempt to wire it myself (my house will look like a warzone), and contractors are freaking expensive.

They can communicate with robots on Mars. Robots. ON MARS. So why can't they make a damn wifi router that doesn't suck?!

On an unrelated note, Verizon sucks balls for forcing me to have a second router in my house because they're too fucking dense to send Video On Demand and TV Guide info through their TV signals. I think that also messes with my wireless signals. If I had known they woulda done this, I would've stuck with Comcast for TV.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-02-17 15:29:45)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
Interference. That's why.

WiFi for me and my wireless router in the other room is fine. Getting a 70% signal from a wireless-n router.
Ryan
+1,230|6834|Alberta, Canada

You need a router with better range.
My router is right on top of my computer, and I have no issues. I have no issues with my iPod either. I can be downstairs and get a great signal.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6698|67.222.138.85
$$$

Spend the billions it takes to put a robot on Mars on your home wireless system, and it wouldn't be a problem.
mikkel
+383|6592
Residential WiFi is cheap and unreliable. Seriously, wired ethernet. If you can't pull the cables through the walls, just tack them up against the wall. It's really not very messy if you do it right.

HurricaИe wrote:

On an unrelated note, Verizon sucks balls for forcing me to have a second router in my house because they're too fucking dense to send Video On Demand and TV Guide info through their TV signals. I think that also messes with my wireless signals. If I had known they woulda done this, I would've stuck with Comcast for TV.
How would you expect them to do interactive services over a frequency division multiplexed simplex link? It's broadcast technology. Statically mapped signals, multiplexed onto single carrier. The equipment at the other end of the line is always dumb on the client side.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5952|Washington DC

mikkel wrote:

Residential WiFi is cheap and unreliable. Seriously, wired ethernet. If you can't pull the cables through the walls, just tack them up against the wall. It's really not very messy if you do it right.

HurricaИe wrote:

How would you expect them to do interactive services over a frequency division multiplexed simplex link? It's broadcast technology. Statically mapped signals, multiplexed onto single carrier. The equipment at the other end of the line is always dumb on the client side.
When I had Comcast, they did all that shit over coax.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5965|England

Mine works fine
mikkel
+383|6592

HurricaИe wrote:

mikkel wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Did you by any chance get a nice little box to go with your TV?
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5952|Washington DC

mikkel wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Did you by any chance get a nice little box to go with your TV?
I have an STB yes (with DVR). For some reason, Verizon decided that their media guide and VOD should be done over wireless -_-
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6340|Belfast
i surf the internets on my iPod from my room on the 2nd floor and i get a good 70%

then again
i am right above the router
02fxnmaurer
+75|6473|Birmingham UK
get pre-n ...no problems there
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6776|Anaheim, CA

Time for 802.11N
avman633
+116|6355
My wireless internet works great, but it only goes through 2 walls.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6188|Winland

Maybe your card only supports 802.11b?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
InnerMonkey
+62|6710
My signal downstairs was only 40%, so I ran a wired line straight down, and put in a 2nd AP for downstairs.  It works great, plus I have wired ports on hand for my old xbox (xbmc) or anything else that comes along.

If you do your research, you can get 2 wireless routers that jive together.  Otherwise, you'd have to configure a different ssid for each.  That will still work (be sure to set to different channels), but it's not as clean feeling.
bennisboy
+829|6637|Poundland
I have a "next-gen" wireless reciever in my laptop, I belive it helps. Usually signal in my room at home is pretty poor (has to go through 2 or 3 walls and a ceiling) but with this its always a very strong signal
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
Mines works like a charm. Mainly cos Most of my house is an extension from the old bit, so the walls are like made out of some modern crap that's thin as fuck. You can tell by banging the wall. The solid one makes no noise but the modern ones are like drums.

What you should do is get one of those wireless routers that have ethernet + wireless. That way you have a solid wired connection for your comp and wireless for everything else.
Defiance
+438|6662

Wired is the only way to go unless you like laptops and hammocks, in which case stick the router by an open window and enjoy.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6582|Reisterstown, MD

If you are using 802.11/b..of course your range will suck.  Get a g or n and you will see a dramatic difference.  I got a wireless router from Verizon and my wife's laptop and the Wii is upstairs and we get 100% signal. 

Last edited by killer21 (2008-02-18 13:07:13)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5952|Washington DC
I've got a G router.

I'll check out some N routers, or one of those routers where you can adjust the radio transmit power
jaymz9350
+54|6568
another thing to help with range is to get a better anntena for the router and or wireless card (unless it's a laptop) this can help get a stronger signal.  I personally wouldn't use wireless for anything other than websurfing because of the problems it can cause even with a good signal.
ReDevilJR
+106|6342

HurricaИe wrote:

They can communicate with robots on Mars. Robots. ON MARS. So why can't they make a damn wifi router that doesn't suck?!
There's no walls on Mars.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6675|West Yorkshire, U.K

SamTheMan:D wrote:

Mine works fine
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6582|Reisterstown, MD

HurricaИe wrote:

I've got a G router.

I'll check out some N routers, or one of those routers where you can adjust the radio transmit power
Also, if you have a cordless phone that has a 2.4GHz, it will interfere with your wireless router since they are on the same frequency.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6707
I have heard good things about the wall plugin adapters... run the cat5 to the wall plugin in the router room
and then plug in a module in the room you are using your computer
http://www.thenerds.net/NETGEAR.NETGEAR … %5ENETGEAR
Love is the answer

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard