ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command
You then find out within 24 hours of the accident that pictures of your daughter have been posted on sites like bangedup and ogrish. When I say pictures of your daughter I mean pictures of her insides, half of her face...etc.

Then you find out that it was a Highway Patrol officer that posted the pictures.

Apparently, if you or your loved ones are killed in a crash or murdered there are pretty good odds you or them will end up as a gag for freaks on the internet, courtesy of your government employees. Where do you figure those sites get most of their pictures?

The argument against the suit:

Reich and co-defendant Thomas O'Donnell, who reportedly still works as a CHP dispatcher, cite in court papers their First Amendment rights to free speech in being responsible for the worldwide distribution of the photos through cyberspace.

Nikki's right to privacy also ended with her death, said Schlueter, citing case law.

O'Donnell has admitted to e-mailing the photos to his home computer, but said in court papers that he had the right to do so within the scope of his employment.

The argument for the suit:

An attorney for the Catsouras family said CHP regulations were violated by the photo leak, and that the agency and dispatchers must be held accountable. Accident-scene photos are supposed to be used only for investigative purposes.

"To hide behind First Amendment rights is completely wrong,'' said Tyler Offenhauser, of Bremer Whyte Brown & O'Meara in Newport Beach. "There's no public interest in these photos.''

Personally, I think those two officers should be killed with a claw hammer.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =300948762
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02162007/en … llahan.htm
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6681|Espoo, Finland
What the fuck?
Who does something like that?

Seriously, those guys need to be sent to a mental hospital for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Gawwad (2008-02-17 08:39:22)

Smithereener
+138|6312|California
Honestly, that's just atrocious. Does the 1st Amendment cover what they did?

Regardless, that's something that shouldn't have been done whether or not one had the right to do so.
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Dark minds can hold virtually any job in society.
ATG
Banned
"  Nikki's right to privacy also ended with her death, said Schlueter  "

hey! she's dead. Let's exploit her..

Bastards.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464
If necrophilia is a crime this should be too.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL
Isn't it sad how people constantly abuse the rights that better men have fought to give them?

That said, put the fucker in jail.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6249|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
When I thought humankind couldn't get any lower, then this. Nothing ceases to amaze me anymore with these sick fucks in positions of trust.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6713|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
By far one of the most disgusting and distasteful things I have ever heard of.  Those fuckers should be locked up in a small hole for the rest of their lives.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
I'd hate it too, but that's the 21st century for you. Perhaps an example should be made out of these guys to show that's it's just wrong to do that. Respect the deceased man. Or at least ask for permission if you're gonna do it. I think that's the worst thing, they did it so soon and without permission.

Because we all know shit like this is used in Road Safety lectures etc..
ATG
Banned

Mek-Izzle wrote:

I'd hate it too, but that's the 21st century for you. Perhaps an example should be made out of these guys to show that's it's just wrong to do that. Respect the deceased man. Or at least ask for permission if you're gonna do it. I think that's the worst thing, they did it so soon and without permission.

Because we all know shit like this is used in Road Safety lectures etc..
Fuck that. There have been an average of 35000 deaths per year every year for 30 years.

They have all the pix they could ever need.

The ONLY thing that could be learned from her pictures is what happens when you hit concrete doing 90 mph.

It is evil. Evil needs to be destroyed.  We need a mob scene and a lynching should these guys be given a pass.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6698|Little Rock, Arkansas
1. You're legally obligated to take pictures of any fatality accident as part of the investigation.

2. Those pictures, once taken, are entered into the public record, and can be accessed by the public with a FOIA request, just like any other document.

3. Dead people have no right to privacy. As an 18 year old (legal adult), there are no controls or restrictions on posthumus pics taken of her. If you wanted to work at it a little bit, you could get her autopsy reports and pictures too.

You are condemning an officer for emailing the pictures out. You don't know what the original context was. You don't know what the original purpose was. All you DO know is that they got emailed around inside CHP, and then leaked out. The IO could have been emailing them to a SI for comment, to get assistance explaining why something happened, all kinds of things.

You all sure are awfully quick to judge based on a television report, myspace page, and an article from the freaking NY Post.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640
disgusting.  thats why I dont understand youtube.  They allow videos of insurgents killing Americans but they wont show nipples.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6634|Amsterdam, NY

blisteringsilence wrote:

1. You're legally obligated to take pictures of any fatality accident as part of the investigation.

2. Those pictures, once taken, are entered into the public record, and can be accessed by the public with a FOIA request, just like any other document.

3. Dead people have no right to privacy. As an 18 year old (legal adult), there are no controls or restrictions on posthumus pics taken of her. If you wanted to work at it a little bit, you could get her autopsy reports and pictures too.

You are condemning an officer for emailing the pictures out. You don't know what the original context was. You don't know what the original purpose was. All you DO know is that they got emailed around inside CHP, and then leaked out. The IO could have been emailing them to a SI for comment, to get assistance explaining why something happened, all kinds of things.

You all sure are awfully quick to judge based on a television report, myspace page, and an article from the freaking NY Post.
pls GTFO of my internets
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6712
that's fucking disgusting...  what a pathetic police officer...
Love is the answer
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

blisteringsilence wrote:

fuck that.  Go protest a funeral.

I know a police officer who loved to show everyone in the unit pictures off of his laptop from accidents he had to respond too.  I think thats an asshole, immoral thing to do.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-02-17 12:16:25)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5995|...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

disgusting.  thats why I dont understand youtube.  They allow videos of insurgents killing Americans but they wont show nipples.
Yeah I've watched alot of those vids but I wonder how on earth anyone could find this amusing / appropriate to upload. I mean these are fucking people getting shot to bits (on the heatseaking cam you oftenly see pieces of human flying around and still glowing after) with retarded 14 year olds commenting on them

It's outrageous tbh.
inane little opines
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6734|The Hague, Netherlands

if you wanna sleep tonight, better to not see the photos (specially for the younger ones between us)
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6640

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

if you wanna sleep tonight, better to not see the photos (specially for the younger ones between us)
I dont need to see shit like that. Period.  Havent even bothered to look.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85

jsnipy wrote:

Dark minds can hold virtually any job in society.
Dark minds do hold virtually any job in society.
ATG
Banned

blisteringsilence wrote:

you probably think we are under taxed as well.
twiistaaa
+87|6665|mexico

blisteringsilence wrote:

your awfully quick to defend it. twisted fuck much?
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6249|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Yeah blistering fuckface stfu. How can you defend that Police officer?
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6573|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

that's fucking disgusting...  what a pathetic police officer...
jamiecracker
+17|6744|Wollongong,Australia
that is seriously fucked up

i can understand the taking of photos for evidence and such but having them made public is a huge no-no

that would just destroy a family whilst  grieving

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard