GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660
Along with the drain in my bathtube, my car crapped out on me today.  After I just spent 60 hard earned dollars buy new front brake pads and spent half my work after lunch installing them.

I know absoultely nothing about cars or engines or drive shafts or turbine seal throwers or whatever.

Its an automatic, the bastard doesnt want to get out of gear when I give it gas. 

But hey, I changed my front brakes and fixed a problem with the sensor on my thermostat today.   Where are my car experts?

I still havent forgotten about my plumbing problem, I just need to fix things in the order of priority.  Right now, ability to point b from a is more important than a flooded crawlspace.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-02-14 17:18:09)

Ryan
+1,230|6859|Alberta, Canada

So you put it in drive, step on the throttle, but it doesn't go?
Some more details would be nice.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5997|Toronto
um, i'd help if I had some more info. What exactly happens? does it rev up? does it click? does it creak? any noise at all, or just won't change gear, feels like you're revving pointlessly?
I like pie.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660
I find things get accomplished faster when someone asks specifics.

I give it gas, it goes to about 45 and it doesnt change gear unless I play with the accelerator a bit, and even after that Its not going much faster.  The problem is getting worse.  Its barely pass 80 now.  I was going uphill, flooring it, and it wasnt even going 45. Like it doesnt wanna change gears.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6584|Mountains of NC

post up, year make and model and I'll go through my manuels
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

TSI wrote:

um, i'd help if I had some more info. What exactly happens? does it rev up? does it click? does it creak? any noise at all, or just won't change gear, feels like you're revving pointlessly?
I hear a hissing sound when I rev it and its stops hissing when it finally decides to change gear.

fluid levels are up.  Thats all I know how to check really.
TSI
+247|5997|Toronto
ok, i read you. but does it rev, or not?

EDIT: just got your last post.
ok, so it revs. sounds like you've got a faulty sensor, or else the solenoid doesn't work properly. Has anything happened to your car recently?
How old is it? Has it ever had tranny problems?

Last edited by TSI (2008-02-14 17:24:03)

I like pie.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660
2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

wont get passed 4 on the shit that reads rpms (4000 rpms?)
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6494|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Does it change gears at all when you accelerate? (Without "Fiddling")

Last edited by Major.League.Infidel (2008-02-14 17:25:00)

TSI
+247|5997|Toronto

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

Okay. I had a problem like that on my van a while ago. Had to have the transmission replaced ($4000)

But, if it won't rev past 4000, then that means you've got a throttle problem. Try putting it in neutral and revving. tell me how high it goes.
I like pie.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

Does it change gears at all when you accelerate? (Without "Fiddling")
did before, not really much anymore.  seems like it got progressivelt worse throughout the day.  I put down 160 miles.  Dont usually drive that much.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

hmmmmm it might be a failure with the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid  and the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector

I;ve seen a few of those happen with the carlos
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

TSI wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

Okay. I had a problem like that on my van a while ago. Had to have the transmission replaced ($4000)

But, if it won't rev past 4000, then that means you've got a throttle problem. Try putting it in neutral and revving. tell me how high it goes.
dont say that.

let me finish my meal right quick and Ill go out and check it out.  Im pretty depressed because of this.  I wish it would fix itself overnight like that rash I had.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

SEREMAKER wrote:

hmmmmm it might be a failure with the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid  and the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector

the thermostat sensor has been screwed for the longest until today.  you think that might have anything to do with it.  I tightened that fat hose that attaches to the engine from the air intake?   and then I pulled the sensor and put it back in.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

the thermostat sensor has been screwed for the longest until today.  you think that might have anything to do with it.  I tightened that fat hose that attaches to the engine from the air intake?   and then I pulled the sensor and put it back in.
no not with what you're describing
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

does it sounds like a common enough problem?
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6494|Communist Republic of CA, USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

The Problem is you're driving a Chevy.
TSI
+247|5997|Toronto
ok. here's what you should look for, and answer these questions plz
1. does it rev to the redline?
1. a) if not, then how high does it go?

2. DOes it make any noise when revving?

3. Do you need to floor it to get revving?

4. When you start, do you hear noises?

5. When you put it in drive, any noises/feelings?

6. go for a short drive. Report any sounds/feelings.

7. Go in 1st gear. Then, accelerate with a steady pressure. Any noises? Feelings? DOes it shift at all?
7. a) if no shifty, then does it at least rev?

8. try starting with D3 or D2. Report.

That's all I can think of. With this info we can better help, as it can narrow the problem.

And, would you know if the car's been modified/damaged/tampered with/repaired, etc...

and lastly...any problems before?
I like pie.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

yeah with these newish carlos, these problems are popping up, IF thats the problem and I'm willing to bet it is ... then its not as finacly bad as you might think ........ its definitely alot less then dropping in a new tranny
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660
Im gonna take it in tomorrow, I just dont want to be bamboozled when I take it to otto the mechanic.  4 G's for a new tranny is honestly not worth it.  Im buying a new car next year.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6845|Grapevine, TX
honestly sounds like a problem with the torque converter
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

honestly sounds like a problem with the torque converter
torque converter?  I wanna know...

edit: it aint like one of those "check for soft spots on the armor" things?

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-02-14 17:47:04)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6461|The Land of Scott Walker
My front wheel drive car was doing that and I had to reset the throttle cable, then everything was fine.  I was afraid I'd need a new transmission, too.

How to reset?

Look up a Haynes book for your car and it will show the location of the cable on the engine.  On my car, there was a cover that had to be pulled back to access the reset.  This is a two person job btw.  With the engine OFF, push in the release button which allows you to move the position of the cable.  Then have the person in the car push the accelerator all the way to the floor ... we hard a couple clicks ... which is good.  Then move the position of the slider on the cable.  It's shown here:  http://tciauto.com/Products/Instruction … adjust.htm

Not sure if your throttle is designed like this, so like I said, look up a good manual or find a trusted mechanic to do it for you.  Good luck!

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-14 17:56:18)

TSI
+247|5997|Toronto
aye, get it checked. That's the best course of action.
I like pie.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

Stingray24 wrote:

My front wheel drive car was doing that and I had to reset the throttle cable, then everything was fine.  I was afraid I'd need a new transmission, too.
again I must say, posts like these are why I start a thread instead of google.  You are turning my frown just a little upside down.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard