Dersmikner
+147|6496|Texas
It's absolutely impossible for an educated reader to take seriously any post that is rife with grammatical errors. A little rudimentary help follows:

============================

Your and You're:

"Your" - Possessive. EX: "May I have some of your french fries?"

"You're" - Contraction of "you are". EX: "You're an idiot."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit typing "your wrong."   The proper statement is "YOU'RE wrong."

==============

There, their, and they're

"There" - Usually a noun, pronoun, adverb or (most often) a preposition. EXs: "While I'm there I'm going to have an ice cream." "There is no hope." "What is over there on the couch?"

"Their" - Possessive of they. EX: "What is their problem?"

"They're" - Contraction of "they are". EX: "They're a bunch of lunatics."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "Their stupid," or "there a bunch of pussies" or "they're ideas are crazy." you people are driving me nuts with this shit.

===============

are and our   (this one shocks me)

"our" - possessive. EX: "Why do you care about our politics?"

"are" - a 'state of being' verb. EX: "You are an idiot if you substitute the word 'are' for the word 'our'."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying things like "are country is the best!"

===============

wear, where, and were

"wear" - generally a verb as in "I'm going to wear that sweet french cuff shirt tonight." Occasionally a noun as in "There is some wear on the edges of your tire."

"where" - Preposition. EX: "Where the hell is Osama bin Laden?"

"were" - verb, past tense of 'are'. This word isn't even pronounced the same way the other two are. EX: "Were you taught anything in high school?"

PLEASE stop saying things like "wear do you live," or "were do you snipe on Karkand," or "what are you going to where tonight".

=================

The general use of the apostrophe:

PLURALS do not require apostrophes unless they are ALSO possessive. If you are discussing a gun, say the M95, and you want it to be plural, you DO NOT use an apostrophe.

Correct:    "I would like to see a group of guys with M95s."
Incorrect:  "I would like to see a group of guys with M95's."

Another example:

Correct:     "Those guys are jerkoffs."
Incorrect:   "Those guy's are jerkoffs."

Single possessives require an apostrophe BEFORE the "s".

Correct:      "That guy's jacket is cool."
Incorrect:    "That guys jacket is cool."
Incorrect:    "That guys' jacket is cool."

Plural possessives require an apostrophe AFTER the "s".

Correct:      "Those guys' jackets are cool."
Incorrect:    "Those guy's jackets are cool."
Incorrect:    "Those guys jackets are cool."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "those guys are dickhead's."

==================

it, it's, and its

"it": almost always a pronoun. EX: "It is clear that there is a problem with your grammar."

"it's": contraction of IT IS. EX: It's fucking embarrassing that our educational system has failed so miserably at teaching children grammar and spelling."

edit for clarification on "its" versus " its' "

" its' ", or " its " Possessive of "it".  EXs: "That is its bumper." "Because I had a wreck and had to replace it, that is its' second bumper."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying "Its getting crazy in here," or "The United States thinks it's shit doesn't stink."

===================

here and hear

"here" - again, generally a pronoun. EX: "If you are posting here, please take care to do it in an educated fashion."

"hear" - a verb. EX: "I hear that you are moving to Florida."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE quit saying things like "If I here you crying again I'm going to shit," and "I hope you're hear later."

===================

to, two, and too

"to": preposition - EXs: "Where is the remote control to this TV?" "We are going to the store."

"too": meaning "in addition to", "an excessive amount", or "extremely" -  EX: "Too many people in this forum don't use proper grammar."

"two": a number - EX: "Two people next door to me are arguing."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop saying things like "To many people like two go too Karkand servers."

===================

Ahhhhh... I feel better. Feel free to add your own.

Ders

Last edited by Dersmikner (2008-02-14 07:01:58)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6569|USA
i fucking love you.
Klinka-Klinko
NIKE Swoosh
+101|6218|cs_connecticut‬‭
Erm, thanks Ders..
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6671|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
There you goes I'm glad uv cleared dat up, innit.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6739|OctoLand
Be honest, how long did you spend re-reading that post to make sure you didn't make any errors yourself?
I know fucking karate
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6523|South Florida
I knew most of this i just don't care.
And most of the time i write well unless im in a hurry.
15 more years! 15 more years!
UK|Hooligan
Seriously, fuck off.
+103|6686|"The Empire"
This means nothing when your typing pissed.
AWSMFOX
Banned
+405|6461|A W S M F O X
so liek whn i post i cin do thees grammr cheetz an be liek 'loooooool!' an the othr man he bee lika da 'lol?'

awsm
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6748
one thing to add here:

Many of the members of this forum do not speak English as their native tongue, so may get words like are, and our mixed up.

But yeah, TOTALLY agree with you here.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6195|Winland

theDude5B wrote:

one thing to add here:

Many of the members of this forum do not speak English as their native tongue, so may get words like are, and our mixed up.

But yeah, TOTALLY agree with you here.
I don't speak english natively, but I don't do those errors in the op very often. In fact, I do, as the op, hate those errors. I don't see how people can't learn that. I'm 15, and I speak better english than the averege non-english 30-year-old. The thing I mix up the most is replacing e with a in some words, like differa(e)nce. I at least try to type as good as I can. unlik mny ppl wo typ liek dis.

+1 on the way to op.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6410|Belgium
You forgot "propably" Freezer, it's something you often type.

Edit: Freezer, irony's a bitch.

freezer wrote:

averege

Last edited by FlemishHCmaniac (2008-02-13 07:54:34)

LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6707|Charlie One Alpha

Mitch wrote:

I knew most of this i just don't care.
And most of the time i write well unless im in a hurry.
Fucking capitalize your I's.

I also hate it when lazy people just leave out the apostrophe in don't.

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2008-02-13 07:56:54)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
1. Been posted before.
2. High Horse, step off it.
3. Not everyone is English/American.
4. splinternets, not englash classe
5. You don't have to use perfect grammar to come across as a credible or even intelligent poster. I think some people here are clever that don't excel at grammer. Doesn't make them retards...
6. If people don't use correct grammar constantly it's because they don't want to. This won't change a thing. If they cared enough they'd read an expert guide to the English language.
7. lols poo in my shoe i like its feel&?

Last edited by jord (2008-02-13 07:58:20)

jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

I'm usually tpying with one hand in a hurry while doing something else.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-02-13 07:58:38)

Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5995
Old.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6563|Area 51
Does it really matter if a person uses absolutely perfect English grammar? I mean just as Jord mentioned not everyone is English/American/Aussie and its not an English class. Even though, for the ones for insist on making an intellectual appareance it would be a great list of reminders.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6651

jord wrote:

The typical BS arguments, eh? Being able to use your/you're and their/there/they're properly without having to think about it is not an expert skill. Any person who has English as their first language, or has been taught it properly, should be able to do this. If you do not, then you have never simply never gotten into the habit. it only takes a tiny bit of effort to get it right.

Here's a better picture for future reference:

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7854/1197821114458em6.gif
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord

RDMC wrote:

Does it really matter if a person uses absolutely perfect English grammar? I mean just as Jord mentioned not everyone is English/American/Aussie and its not an English class. Even though, for the ones for insist on making an intellectual appareance it would be a great list of reminders.
I think grammar experts have an OCD problem. If they read something that isn't entirely expert they don't know what the fuck to do.

Obsessive compulsive disorder, it's a bad problem.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6651

jord wrote:

RDMC wrote:

I think grammar experts have an OCD problem. If they read something that isn't entirely expert they don't know what the fuck to do.

Obsessive compulsive disorder, it's a bad problem.
Read my previous post. See the error of your ways.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord

Lucien wrote:

jord wrote:

The typical BS arguments, eh? Being able to use your/you're and their/there/they're properly without having to think about it is not an expert skill. Any person who has English as their first language, or has been taught it properly, should be able to do this. If you do not, then you have never simply never gotten into the habit. it only takes a tiny bit of effort to get it right.

Here's a better picture for future reference:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7854 … 458em6.gif
I don't care much for holier than thou grammar Nazi's. You want to write perfectly? Fine, infact good. Others have various reasons to not, so give it a rest.

If I did care, I'd quote every American when they posted "center" or "Aluminum". Then maybe I;d make a thread about it to debate it. Then maybe I'd pretend I'm better and smarter than them. But I don't, so phew.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6707|Charlie One Alpha
I just can't take someone seriously if they don't take the time and effort to properly type out their argument.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
jord

jord wrote:

1. Been posted before.
2. High Horse, step off it.
3. Not everyone is English/American.
4. splinternets, not englash classe
5. You don't have to use perfect grammar to come across as a credible or even intelligent poster. I think some people here are clever that don't excel at grammer. Doesn't make them retards...
6. If people don't use correct grammar constantly it's because they don't want to. This won't change a thing. If they cared enough they'd read an expert guide to the English language.
7. lols poo in my shoe i like its feel&?
Does anyone find this insulting? Apperantly this is insulting, so please tell me...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
Thanks for the lesson. I almost forgot all of those fundamental building blocks of English that I was taught aged 11, and henceforth used every day since.

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dersmikner
+147|6496|Texas
Hey, good for you for using them, but you would be surprised at the number of people here who don't.
syndicat111
+39|6676|UK

prototype wrote:

people that sit at their computers and post in a gaming tech forum trying to teach grammar and spelling to others are very very sad people in real life.
lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard