+111|6590

Mekstizzle wrote:

You guys are going to skewer me for this but I still lol'd:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-1027-nascar-safety/

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/to … _image.jpg

---

Oh and this bit is true for all motorsport not just nascar:

Adoption of Safety System wrote:

NASCAR adopts a "martyr" approach to safety: At least one famous person has to die to get each even the most elementary safety measure adopted.

Device: SAFER (Steel And Foam Energy Reduction) barrier walls.

Martyr: Dale Earnhardt

Death: Slammed into extremely un-SAFER walls.

Comment: First proposed by a NASCAR engineer 30 years before Earnhardt's death, indicating there may be some slight room for improvement in NASCAR's attitude toward safety.

Device: Fire retardant suits.
Martyr: Edward "Fireball" Roberts
Death: Burned to death.
Comment: Yes, he had that nickname before the accident. Yes, that does mean that God is both a bastard and watches NASCAR, so good luck with heaven, y'all!

Device: Engine-stopping kill switch
Martyr: Adam Petty
Death: Killed by engine not stopping
Comment: We really want to make the world's worst-tasting pun here, but it's more fun if you think of your own.

Device: HANS (Head And Neck Safety) Brace
Martyr: Tony Roper, Kenny Irwin, Neil Bonnett, John Nemechek, Blaise Alexander, J.D. McDuffie, Clifford Allison, contributed to Adam Petty, Dale Earnhardt
Death: Trauma to head and neck caused by slamming a goddamn car into a wall.
Comment: Finally adopted 20 years after its invention because of nine deaths. Six of them within two years. There are rogue bands of mercenary desperadoes with nothing to lose who have lower casualty rates.
Poor taste Mek...poor taste...
But I would expect tht from an uneducated Brit hehehe
:p
j/k mate
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5417
Now don't get angry at me, this is an honest question.

Why is Dale E. jr. so popular?  He stinks.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590

Red Forman wrote:

Its all in the name cat, no doubt of that.  Tbh, its sympathy, folks want him to do well because of the nature of his fathers death.  Little E has never, and never will be his daddy, or as good as many of the other drivers on the circuit.
Honestly, I support him because of the above reasons, not much more.  Though that support will swiftly come to an end if this crewchief change doesnt yield some significant results.
Recently, I've thrown my supoort behind the 48.  I've always beeen a big fan of Knaus, but up until the end of last year, seeing what Jimmy accomplished, I didnt like him all that much.  Drivers need to show me something if they want my fan-ness (is that even a word???)

Hope that answers your question, though, its just my opinion...20+ years worth of opinion, but an opinion none-the-less.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
Brickyard this weekend boys.  Lets hope Goodyear have thier collective shit togeather this time.  Practice begins today around 1400-ish.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker

Red Forman wrote:

Speaking only for myself ...

Dale Sr. was the driver I pulled for since I was a toddler sitting on the family couch with my Dad watching the races back in the early 80s.  When Dale Jr. came into the series, he inherited huge expectations as the son of one of the man who had so many wins and championships to his name.  Why do I like him?  His attitude.  Even though he's massively famous because of his name, he still acts like a regular guy, the kind I'd want to have a beer with.  As to his performance "stinking", some of that is on him, some on the crew chief, and some on being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

First, I don't think Dale Jr. has adjusted to the COT as quickly as other drivers.  Why?  Hard to say.  It's much different than the old Cup car and the nationwide car.  The pressure of the conflict in the Earnhardt organization during the previous several years dragged on Junior heavily.  Now that he's in a new organization that doesn't bear his name, there's bound to be some adjustment.  On the crew chief angle, if he can't adjust the car to changing conditions, it puts the driver at a disadvantage to the drivers whose crew chief did make the right call.  It was frustrating to watch a good car go away and time after time Tony Eury Jr. was seemingly at a loss regarding what to do.  Meanwhile Chad Knaus was working his magic to give Jimmie Johnson the wheels he needed to stay up front.  Dale's finishing results don't fairly reflects his driving skill imo ... though I'll obviously biased.  When he has a good car and isn't taken out in a wreck, he always finishes well.  Look at his career performance up against the other drivers in the series and I think his numbers still put him in the top half at the very least.  Is he his dad?  Not by a long shot, but I'm not asking him to be. 

In the end, I'll support any driver that has the ol bow tie on the hood and beats those dirty Fords and 'Yotas.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
Yeah, well said and all valid points.

Goodyear seem to have nailed the tire this time, damn good thing too.  We cant afford another show like last year
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
Wow...
great race...certainly far better than last years Brickyard.

Congratulationsto the 48 bunch, they were certainly championship caliber today.

oh, and the best part, kyle is out of the top 12 

ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5441|Athens, GA
why does tony always hit the wall in practice
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
I would say that he's trying to get all he can get...pushing the car to see what it has, and doesnt have.

sounds like a good reason to me hehe 
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5441|Athens, GA
true true. but its not going to do much good when youre usin a backup
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
yeah, but all these guys think they are the greatest out there (in there own minds, that is) and he probably figures he can save it...no matter what it does. 
I dont mean he's out there throwing it around and thinking he can catch it without braking or something.

On top of that, Tony was a little high in the turn...lots o dust and such up there, and NO grip at this point.  DOesnt take much to get offline and get in the dust.  Turn 3 here has always had teeth...it'll bite yo in the ass and hand you your balls before you can blink.
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5441|Athens, GA
ugh stupid rain
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5441|Athens, GA
aww poor kyle
Stingray24

ph1shman420 wrote:

ugh stupid rain
This

Now I can't see Pocono since they're racing tomorrow.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
Denny Hamlin...

damnit...

well, at least the 18 isnt back in the top 12 hehehe and in fact, unless my math is worse than I think it is (and thats Way too likely...) his margin to get back in the top 12 has even gotten larger...like, its 100-ish points now and was around 82 or 84.

suck exhaust Kyle, you little fuckstick.

Jimmie turned another could-a-been shit day into a decent finish, the 48 team are workin on #4 straight (Whoo hooo!!)
Long way to go, I know, but atm, it feels good

Little E's good run turned to shit in the end...again.  Wish they could find a way out of this funk they are in...

ah well, decent race anyway, lookin' forward to the Glen next week.
Stingray24
Marcos > Kyle in Nationwide
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5441|Athens, GA

ph1shman420 wrote:

ugh stupid rain
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6780|d

ph1shman420 wrote:

ph1shman420 wrote:

ugh stupid rain

ph1shman420 wrote:

wrong section
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5441|Athens, GA
iknorite
Stingray24
Gratz to Tony, man is he on a roll.  Glad to see Hornish and Jeff Gordon ok after their wicked wreck.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6590
Qualifying at Michigan even as we speak gents...

joy...joy...

another fuel mileage race (whoo bloody hoo)...
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5995|Blue Mountain State
lol kyle got pwned. what a fag
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Stingray24
Stupid rain ... I'm sick of this, we can't hardly run a full race without rain anymore.
Stingray24
Ew Vickers, oh well Gordon and Junior had a good showing in 2nd and 3rd.  More laps and Junior had that race won.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England
bring back rain tyres

I'm sure NASCAR wasn't always disrupted by rain, I bet it was a recent stupid safety addition

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard