Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6607|Greenwood, IN
To be honest they won't cause of the technology involved.  Russians have always build simple and reliable...  and example of why Russian does this is this past summer a couple of F22s be flown over to Japan get the date line and their computers crashed.  While they were able to fly still but targeting and navigation got all fucked up.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

Brizzzer wrote:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Ruskies are gertting more and more bold... very concerning.

wikipedia wrote:

Post-2000 confrontations

* 29 January 2004 — a Tu-95 flew over the USS Kitty Hawk in the Sea of Japan.

* 29 September 2006 — NORAD scrambled Canadian CF-18s from CFB Cold Lake in Central Alberta and American F-15s out of an airbase in Alaska to intercept "a number of the Russian Tu-95 Bear heavy bombers participating in an annual Russian air force exercise near the coast of Alaska and Canada." This launch was a result of the bombers penetrating the North American Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ).[4]

* May 2007 — the Royal Air Force scrambled two Tornado fighters from RAF Leuchars in Scotland to intercept a Tu-95 observing the Royal Navy exercise Neptune Warrior.[5]

* 17 July 2007 — two Royal Norwegian Air Force F-16s (from Bodø, Norway) and subsequently two RAF Tornados (from RAF Leeming, England) intercepted two Tu-95s as they allegedly made their way down the Norwegian coast towards Scotland.[6][7]

* August 2007 — two Tu-95s flew towards the U.S. base on Guam, where they were intercepted by U.S. fighter planes. Maj Gen Pavel Androsov of the Russian Air Force told a news conference, "We renewed the tradition when our young pilots flew by Guam in two planes. We exchanged smiles with our counterparts who flew up from a U.S. carrier and returned home."[8][9] However, the Pentagon denied that any aircraft were sent up, saying that the proximity of the bombers was not close enough to prompt a response from the carriers.[10]

* 17 August 2007 — two RAF Typhoons were launched to intercept and shadow a Tu-95 that had veered towards British airspace over the North Sea. The Tu-95 later turned away from UK airspace.[11]

* 6 September 2007 — Two Norwegian F-16s tracked eight Tu-95s over the Barents Sea[12] as they neared Norwegian airspace. The bombers flew past Norway and continued towards British airspace where four RAF Tornados were scrambled from RAF Leeming (in two waves of two), before the Russian planes turned away.[13] It was the same day that Canadian Forces' CF-18s and Russian Tu-95s met outside Canadian airspace near Inuvik, Northwest Territories. The CF-18s were scrambled when Tu-95s were seen flying outside Canadian airspace.[14]

* 22 November 2007 — F-22A Raptors of the 90th fighter squadron performed their first intercept of two Russian Tu-95MS 'Bear-H' bombers in Alaska. This was the first time that F-22s had been called to support a NORAD mission.[15][16]

* 9 February 2008 — 24 aircraft including F-15 Eagles and an E-767 AWAC from the Japanese air force scrambled and gave "a notice, then a warning and another a notice and a warning," as a Russian Tu-95MS 'Bear-H' violated the country's airspace during a three-minute flyover of Sofugan in the Izu Islands. Japan formally issued a strong protest, demanded prevention of future incidents and presented a protest note to the Russian Embassy in Tokyo. Russian officials conversely stated that four Tupolev Tu-95 bombers completed a 10-hour mission over the Pacific on Saturday, but "our strategic aviation planes did not violate Japanese airspace." [17][18][19]

* 9 February 2008 —Four American FA-18 fighters from the USS Nimitz were scrambled and tracked the bombers after two TU-95 Bear bombers flew over a US aircraft carrier in the Western Pacific.[20]
I usually don't quote stuff this big. I thought it was interesting to see all of the incendents were with Tu-95's.  I mean is Russia testing are defensives for a possible future war with American if it were to happen?
seems to me that having more missile defense systems is the smart things to do.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6597|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Ruskies are gertting more and more bold... very concerning.

I usually don't quote stuff this big. I thought it was interesting to see all of the incendents were with Tu-95's.  I mean is Russia testing are defensives for a possible future war with American if it were to happen?
seems to me that having more missile defense systems is the smart things to do.
Against a Tu-95? no, too easy to intercept with todays radar, and too slow. i wouldn't waste any missile defense against a bear, its the supersonic Tu-160 you need to worry about. plsu, with the raptors finally being deployed and the range of our radar stations, they couldn't shit without us knowing it.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6001|The Mitten

cowami wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

I love the Russians way of thinking for making weapons.  Make this simple and reliable.  If you notice all their planes have on major thing in common.  Their landing gear was designed to be use on dirt fields and such so they can land any where if needed.  But how ever a lot of their weapons were stolen form American designs.(Sidewinder missile as an example.)
Like they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Luckily, they don't have anything to match the F-22 (yet).
don't worry...
In Soviet Russia, F-22 cloaks you!

Anyway, yea, it seems like Russia is just flexing some muscle.... why, I have no idea. But yea, unfortunatly, it really seems that playing along is probably the best bet, unless there is solid evidence......
EE (hats
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

It hasn't been just Bears, but since that's the majority of their long-range aviation inventory, Bears have been the vast majority of their "visits".
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Wonder if they've been sending in any old Backfires.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Not enough range. Just Blackjacks and Bears.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

FEOS wrote:

Not enough range. Just Blackjacks and Bears.
Ah, Blackjack's the blantant rip-off the B-1 lol.
Bit like the Buran and the Space Shuttle.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Stop using gay NATO names for Russian shit, I swear the people that come up with these names are morons.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Stop using gay NATO names for Russian shit, I swear the people that come up with these names are morons.
Pfft, personal favorite, MiG-15 Fagot.

As far as I'm aware, the names correspond with the type of aircraft i.e all bombers NATO names begin with B, all fighters begin with F e.g Fulcrum. All helicopters begin with H, Hind, Havoc, Hip.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2008-02-13 08:15:13)

jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Stoopid is or stoopid does.

Jenny?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6567|Area 51

Penetrator wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

if you look at the US official response, it was more of a "meh".
LuLz!

Sgt: Sir, The Russians are approaching!
Colonel: Do they look pissed at us?
Sgt: Not overly.
Colonel: Roger that, go to DEFCON "Meh"
Sgt: HUA.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LOL! Defcon Meh
HudsonFalcon
+20|5933|New York
It is basically "meh" at this point with meaningless muscle flexing by both sides but high tensions can breed accidents and incidents.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6711|Charlie One Alpha

HudsonFalcon wrote:

It is basically "meh" at this point with meaningless muscle flexing by both sides but high tensions can breed accidents and incidents.
Exactly. All this is pointless and stupid. I say we just ignore the Russians and when they realize nobody gives a shit they'll stop. Or maybe not, but who cares? It's not like they're actually going to do anything. Let them fly and waste fuel.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Sorry...I thought you Brits preferred using the nicknames vice the nomenclature.

Tu-95 = Bear
Tu-160 = Blackjack
― Albert Einstein

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

dayarath wrote:

Iran manufactors weapons for the insurgents (Iranian weapons kill our soldiers.) Iran has many complaints about everyone, and threatens alot of people. They kidnapped british marines and navy personell in the same area where the speedboat incident took place. Those ships aren't just there for Iran, they're there for close support to troops on the mainland and probably for gaurding oil shipment.

The ships in that gulf have a very important purpose. And Iran isn't exactly innocent. The russians are in the wrong, So is Iran if you want them in the conversation aswell. What they're doing is unacceptable at the least.
Iran has a legitimate reason to be involved in the development of Iraq - national and regional security/economic issues.  That does not excuse the political gamesmanship on both sides, but this relationship (between Iran/allies and US/allies) is much deeper than a lot of people realize.

The US goal in regards to Iran is more of a containment ideal than an actual physical war with Iran.  We want to limit Iranian influence in the region - because we (US) see that the balance of power shifted a little in Iran's favor after we invaded Iraq.  Iraq was the one big Armed Forces in the region that could hold off Iranian agression, and dismantling those forces was a mistake (in hindsight).  Now we (US) must look to shore up military support in the region (effectively build up the defense capabilities of Arab States).  That is why we (Congress) just approved tens of billions of dollars in military aid to the region, and a big reason Bush was recently there.  That is why the U.S. is pushing for formal and informal economic sanctions of Iran - to squeeze their economy to limit excessive support for various regional factions.  That is why the U.S. (through diplomacy) attempts to break up Iran-Syria relations, and Iranian factional support in Palestine and Lebanon.  That is why the US Government recently designated the Al-Quds force of the IRG as "supporters of terrorism" - to attack their financial assets and give reason to apprehend their operatives in Iraq.  That is why we fund a $75 million "democracy" program against the Ahmadinejad Administration.

The Bush Administration is trying to play Sunni Arab states against Shia Iran - effectively fomenting more factional fighting.  Limiting Iranian influence in the region through this plan would hypothetically  force Israel and Arab states work together to reduce the influence of Iran - and perhaps that might carry over into bi-partisan cooperation on the Palestine issue.  It is a complex reasoning, and actually not a good idea, but I will save that for another post.
Wait wait wait, as far as I know the regional power shift from Iran wasn't that great, and wasn't the primary concern. What I see as the primary concern is Iran trying to obtain the knowledge to produce nuclear arms. That's what we're hammering on them for, not just the power shift. And it isn't just the US AT ALL that's hammering on them, it's France, Germany and the UK aswell (in this known as the EU-3) France and Germany don't agree with the US on many fronts and oppose alot, so you can't come out of this one calling it a friendly ball game inbetween the two.

The US gave Iran it's nuclear power generators for a friendly program back in the 1960's when it was still a Kingdom. The revolution came in 1971 (I think, not sure, didn't check) And this made tensions arise inbetween the US and Iran, it became an Islamic ruled state with leaders which didn't really like the US, and neither did the US like them. This wasn't the only problem, because in the 80's-90's the USSR (and Russia is still backing them) sent nuclear physicists to help Iran with it's nuclear development. It seemed Iran has been trying to obtain nuclear arms untill not too long ago, and still they hardly allow the IAEA in their bussiness. This stresses alot of countries to put sanctions down on Iran, this is NOT just the US, but France, Germany and the UK aswell. And they might possibly be hammering on the situation even more than the US is.

Now the Bush administration is indeed trying to form a bond with the Sunni Arabs to get them on his side in case there will be trouble with Iran, or beforehand - to make them weaken the bonds with eachother. Out of what I typed above, it's pretty logical. Iran has had many trouble with allowing the IAEA in their bussiness, and this is very, VERY serious. Iran must not, and is not allowed to trade with nuclear power, and do shady things with their nuclear knowledge behind our backs. Ahmadinejad is acting hostile towards the EU and the US, makes blatant remarks towards Israel, and their nuclear program was designed for peacefull use only, NOT for import of wares and knowledge used to make this nuclear power available for the military. They did imports from China behind our backs already, of wares which are not allowed in the agreements made back in the 1960's and most importantly, behind the back of the IAEA.

Iran has no legitimit reason to strengthen the Taliban and opposition of the US and the EU. They are providing them with the material to kill our men. This is an act of hostility on it's own already and certainly, certainly not legitimit.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-02-13 11:02:19)

inane little opines
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6647

MECtallica wrote:

Oh yay.
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6787|Anaheim, CA

They're damn lucky we didn't blow their stupid asses out of the sky. You can BET if we did the same to them they'd shoot us down.

Case in point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air … Flight_007
PluggedValve
+17|6342

dayarath wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

dayarath wrote:

It is, but it's annoying at the same time, you don't just go over with heavy bombers on the people you're picking on on accident, it's done on purpose and it's these little annoyance acts that make it worse. They are provocative and they love it. Japan got the real deal, and all the more so shows Russia is being a total ass.
Don't you think having carrier groups stationed off the coast of Iran is "annoying" to Iranians and their allies?  It is what it is - the news media felt the need to comment on this particular instance as if we should be worried of a Soviet attack.  It won't happen.
Iran manufactors weapons for the insurgents (Iranian weapons kill our soldiers.) Iran has many complaints about everyone, and threatens alot of people. They kidnapped british marines and navy personell in the same area where the speedboat incident took place. Those ships aren't just there for Iran, they're there for close support to troops on the mainland and probably for gaurding oil shipment.

The ships in that gulf have a very important purpose. And Iran isn't exactly innocent. The russians are in the wrong, So is Iran if you want them in the conversation aswell. What they're doing is unacceptable at the least.
Hmmm.  Dont US made weopons kill also??  Why is it okay for the US to make and sell weopons and not okay for Iran??  The US looks more like an aggressor than Iran, what with all the iranian Military being stationed in Iran, and more  than half the US Military stationed next door to Iran but over 5000 miles from home.  Yah yah, they are there for Iraq, riiiiiigghhhtt....  I thought they captured Iraq in like a month or so, meh, whatever they say must be correct....
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...

PluggedValve wrote:

dayarath wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Don't you think having carrier groups stationed off the coast of Iran is "annoying" to Iranians and their allies?  It is what it is - the news media felt the need to comment on this particular instance as if we should be worried of a Soviet attack.  It won't happen.

Hmmm.  Dont US made weopons kill also??  Why is it okay for the US to make and sell weopons and not okay for Iran??  The US looks more like an aggressor than Iran, what with all the iranian Military being stationed in Iran, and more  than half the US Military stationed next door to Iran but over 5000 miles from home.  Yah yah, they are there for Iraq, riiiiiigghhhtt....  I thought they captured Iraq in like a month or so, meh, whatever they say must be correct....
The most delivered weapons by US has been to allies and back in the cold war to oppose the soviets. The taliban are awefully in the wrong and do not deserve the support of anyone. They're the real babykillers. As far as I know, in alot of cases the US has handled accordingly and good. In the most recent ones, I do not agree one bit. But Iran has certainly not ANY justification for delivering these weapons to the insurgents and taliban, just pure hate and hostility.

Read my post above this one aswell and be explained more about Iran's idiotic situation.
inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

dayarath wrote:

Wait wait wait, as far as I know the regional power shift from Iran wasn't that great, and wasn't the primary concern. What I see as the primary concern is Iran trying to obtain the knowledge to produce nuclear arms. That's what we're hammering on them for, not just the power shift. And it isn't just the US AT ALL that's hammering on them, it's France, Germany and the UK aswell (in this known as the EU-3) France and Germany don't agree with the US on many fronts and oppose alot, so you can't come out of this one calling it a friendly ball game inbetween the two.
Take a look at a quote from Condoleeza Rice - "Iran constitutes the single most important single-country strategic challenge to the United States and to the kind of Middle East that we want to see."

The power shift is there - we (Coalition of the willing) eliminated the one Armed Forces group that could protect the area from Iran's Armed Forces.  As far as the degree of the shift, it really doesn't matter.  The fact is that there is no one local Armed Forces in the region that could contend with Iran.  No one, not even Israel.  Any Military engagement would need the support of an outside force (probably the US, but perhaps EU assistance as well).  Nuclear capabilities are almost always pursued for perceived power on the world stage, especially for a State that isn't considered one, e.g. Pakistan, North Korea or Iran.  If the primary concern were simply that Iran is trying to obtain nuclear armament capability, there would be no need for the rallying of Sunni Arab states, there would be no need for billion dollar arms sales to the autocratic regimes in the area.  The fact that they (Iran) express a willingness to pursue nuclear weapons is icing on the cake.  The U.S. is concerned with Iranian regional influence, and using an idea of pursuit of nuclear weapons to promote their (US/ally) agenda.  The EU nations are concerned with the nuclear capabilities - and that's about it.  EU really doesn't care about the balance of power in the region - why would they?  It isn't their (EU) playground, it's ours.

dayarath wrote:

The US gave Iran it's nuclear power generators for a friendly program back in the 1960's when it was still a Kingdom. The revolution came in 1971 (I think, not sure, didn't check) And this made tensions arise inbetween the US and Iran, it became an Islamic ruled state with leaders which didn't really like the US, and neither did the US like them. This wasn't the only problem, because in the 80's-90's the USSR (and Russia is still backing them) sent nuclear physicists to help Iran with it's nuclear development. It seemed Iran has been trying to obtain nuclear arms untill not too long ago, and still they hardly allow the IAEA in their bussiness. This stresses alot of countries to put sanctions down on Iran, this is NOT just the US, but France, Germany and the UK aswell. And they might possibly be hammering on the situation even more than the US is.
There is some truth to the above paragraph, and a lot of simplifying.  Read up on the history of Iran for the last 50 years, and the actions the U.S. has historically taken in promoting pro-U.S. agenda leaders in regions all over the world to better understand the relationship between the U.S. and Iran in regards to the Middle East region.

dayarath wrote:

Now the Bush administration is indeed trying to form a bond with the Sunni Arabs to get them on his side in case there will be trouble with Iran, or beforehand - to make them weaken the bonds with eachother. Out of what I typed above, it's pretty logical. Iran has had many trouble with allowing the IAEA in their bussiness, and this is very, VERY serious. Iran must not, and is not allowed to trade with nuclear power, and do shady things with their nuclear knowledge behind our backs. Ahmadinejad is acting hostile towards the EU and the US, makes blatant remarks towards Israel, and their nuclear program was designed for peacefull use only, NOT for import of wares and knowledge used to make this nuclear power available for the military. They did imports from China behind our backs already, of wares which are not allowed in the agreements made back in the 1960's and most importantly, behind the back of the IAEA.
The allocation of billions of dollars in military aid to Sunni Arab States isn't only meant to weaken the bonds between them (those states) and Iran, or for that matter, Russia.  It is specifically meant for defense - to bulk up the Military defense of those countries to better defend against any type of Iranian aggression.  I guess there really can be a Cold War analogy made, because the threat is hypothetical but real at the same time.  It is to balance the perceived (and real) power of Iran has in the region.  There is also the idea that Sunni Arab States and Israel will form a common bond (weaken Iran) and that will lead to regional cooperation for a two-state solution, as I said before.

Ahmadinejad is full of it (rhetoric); so is Bush.  So are numerous leaders.  In the world of real foreign policy, rhetoric is worthless.  Stated intentions and actual intentions are not always the same.  We must look at actual implementations and dialogue between the factions to understand the reasoning behind the relationships.  As far as nuclear weapons, the IAEA, UN, US and EU are pursuing diplomatic resolutions, with Iran agreeing to a timetable for inspection.  The rhetoric from Bush and Co. may be in regards to nuclear production, but the actions are to affect the balance of power in the region.

dayarath wrote:

Iran has no legitimit reason to strengthen the Taliban and opposition of the US and the EU. They are providing them with the material to kill our men. This is an act of hostility on it's own already and certainly, certainly not legitimit.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England

GuliblGuy wrote:

They're damn lucky we didn't blow their stupid asses out of the sky. You can BET if we did the same to them they'd shoot us down.

That was during the Cold War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Point I'm making is that you're both the same. I think you should resume (or start) B-52 flights (for lulz) over Russian carriers/airspace etc.. I mean if they do it...
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Mek-Izzle wrote:

GuliblGuy wrote:

Point I'm making is that you're both the same. I think you should resume (or start) B-52 flights (for lulz) over Russian carriers/airspace etc.. I mean if they do it...
Bring back teh Vulcan, Victor and Valiant for the RAF!, Just upgrade em with new digital avionics packages and weapons. Britain needs a bomber force tbh.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6347|Twyford, UK

Mek-Izzle wrote:

It's far easier to recognise by name rather than number.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

Mek-Izzle wrote:

GuliblGuy wrote:

persians dont count.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard