HudsonFalcon
+20|5929|New York
It seems that Putin is not only making good on his promise to challenge the military might of NATO and the United States near his border but is also expanding his promise to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330362,00.html
MECtallica
+73|6502|jalalabad
Oh yay.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
...and he wishes to claim the northpole.

...and he does flight training dangerously close to european countries that border the sea.

.....and he even passed one jet over scotland.

annoying old KGB spies shouldn't become president and stick with their cold war being in the past.
inane little opines
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
If they do it, then others should do it to them. See how they like it.
Mr Caek
You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
+12|5997|Lincoln, UK
Nukes.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6638|Your moms bedroom
this is like straight out of a Tom Clancy novel with all the shit thats going on around Alaska
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6477|Sheffield-England
Something is going to kick off soon, The US military will probably fire on a Russian Bomber, Putin will wage War, We all die
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

I don't know how those planes can fly around with the sky falling like it is.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6524|Milkystania, yurop
The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because the reports on the flights were classified as secret is that not treason or something?
Moo? Si!
Tall, Dark, Antlered
+39|6126|817---->907

Locoloki wrote:

this is like straight out of a Tom Clancy novel with all the shit thats going on around Alaska
Alaska is not worried
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6621|EU

stkhoplite wrote:

Something is going to kick off soon, The US military will probably fire on a Russian Bomber, Putin will wage War, me will die
fixed

edit: lol, saw that this is DST...

well, imo this is just an elephant made from a fly, nothing more.

Last edited by legionair (2008-02-12 08:04:49)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England

Magpie wrote:

The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because the reports on the flights were classified as secret is that not treason or something?
Well not really. I think the Public have a right to know about what happens between armed forces around the world. I don't see why it should stay within the Military.

Besides, it's the only sort of news that keeps things interesting. It's either shit like that, or talking about Amy Winehouse
Commie Killer
+192|6385

Magpie wrote:

Welcome to the world of politics. Anyways, half the shit labeled secret isnt really that secret.

Also, stop talking about the sky falling, its a big dick waving contest, thats all. Interesting none the less though.
B-Scimitar
Defeating your warriors.
+116|6407|Espoo, Finland

dayarath wrote:

...and he does flight training dangerously close to european countries that border the sea.
What do you mean by 'close'? They're always in our airspace.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6221|Escea

They come over to England for tea and scones as well, well try to before a pair of Eurofighters come up and change their mind.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6343|Twyford, UK
This is Putin throwing his weight around.
To use a metaphor, Russia used to be the big guy in the back of the bar surrounded by a pack of cronies. Now most of said cronies have gone, they're still throwing their weight around, spilling people's drinks, making lewd comments and filthy jokes, and generally being an ass.

America's just as bad, frankly, only with a huge beer belly, cleaner jokes, and an annoying wife who smacks people with a handbag for doing anything remotely non-PC but daren't go near the big funny-smelling guy in the corner.
IRONCHEF
+385|6489|Northern California
I don't see what the big deal is.  We do not own the sky.  THe same could be said that our carriers went underneath their bombers.  Who says who can and can't fly bombers in their nations interest?  Putin has EVERY reason to be suspicious of us and our obvious aggression and empirical behavior.  We're the ones not trying to cool things down...lame duck Condi is out shoe shopping instead of trying to assure Russia that our proposed missile defense systems in eastern Europe actually aren't meant to start another cold war..oh wait, we are trying to start one...

Russia FTW.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

...in the back of the bar surrounded by a pack of cronies. Now most of said cronies have gone, they're still throwing their weight around, spilling people's drinks, making lewd comments and filthy jokes, and generally being an ass.
Sounds like you're describing our emperor Bush!

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2008-02-12 09:34:38)

Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6506|Bournemouth, South England

M.O.A.B wrote:

They come over to England for tea and scones as well, well try to before a pair of Eurofighters come up and change their mind.
Very true.  Has been happening for some 30 years, then slowed off for a bit.  About a year ago, they come around the UK coastline every week or so for a bit of armed tension, and possibly chess.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6827|Grapevine, TX
Ruskies are gertting more and more bold... very concerning.

wikipedia wrote:

Post-2000 confrontations

* 29 January 2004 — a Tu-95 flew over the USS Kitty Hawk in the Sea of Japan.

* 29 September 2006 — NORAD scrambled Canadian CF-18s from CFB Cold Lake in Central Alberta and American F-15s out of an airbase in Alaska to intercept "a number of the Russian Tu-95 Bear heavy bombers participating in an annual Russian air force exercise near the coast of Alaska and Canada." This launch was a result of the bombers penetrating the North American Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ).[4]

* May 2007 — the Royal Air Force scrambled two Tornado fighters from RAF Leuchars in Scotland to intercept a Tu-95 observing the Royal Navy exercise Neptune Warrior.[5]

* 17 July 2007 — two Royal Norwegian Air Force F-16s (from Bodø, Norway) and subsequently two RAF Tornados (from RAF Leeming, England) intercepted two Tu-95s as they allegedly made their way down the Norwegian coast towards Scotland.[6][7]

* August 2007 — two Tu-95s flew towards the U.S. base on Guam, where they were intercepted by U.S. fighter planes. Maj Gen Pavel Androsov of the Russian Air Force told a news conference, "We renewed the tradition when our young pilots flew by Guam in two planes. We exchanged smiles with our counterparts who flew up from a U.S. carrier and returned home."[8][9] However, the Pentagon denied that any aircraft were sent up, saying that the proximity of the bombers was not close enough to prompt a response from the carriers.[10]

* 17 August 2007 — two RAF Typhoons were launched to intercept and shadow a Tu-95 that had veered towards British airspace over the North Sea. The Tu-95 later turned away from UK airspace.[11]

* 6 September 2007 — Two Norwegian F-16s tracked eight Tu-95s over the Barents Sea[12] as they neared Norwegian airspace. The bombers flew past Norway and continued towards British airspace where four RAF Tornados were scrambled from RAF Leeming (in two waves of two), before the Russian planes turned away.[13] It was the same day that Canadian Forces' CF-18s and Russian Tu-95s met outside Canadian airspace near Inuvik, Northwest Territories. The CF-18s were scrambled when Tu-95s were seen flying outside Canadian airspace.[14]

* 22 November 2007 — F-22A Raptors of the 90th fighter squadron performed their first intercept of two Russian Tu-95MS 'Bear-H' bombers in Alaska. This was the first time that F-22s had been called to support a NORAD mission.[15][16]

* 9 February 2008 — 24 aircraft including F-15 Eagles and an E-767 AWAC from the Japanese air force scrambled and gave "a notice, then a warning and another a notice and a warning," as a Russian Tu-95MS 'Bear-H' violated the country's airspace during a three-minute flyover of Sofugan in the Izu Islands. Japan formally issued a strong protest, demanded prevention of future incidents and presented a protest note to the Russian Embassy in Tokyo. Russian officials conversely stated that four Tupolev Tu-95 bombers completed a 10-hour mission over the Pacific on Saturday, but "our strategic aviation planes did not violate Japanese airspace." [17][18][19]

* 9 February 2008 —Four American FA-18 fighters from the USS Nimitz were scrambled and tracked the bombers after two TU-95 Bear bombers flew over a US aircraft carrier in the Western Pacific.[20]
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

IRONCHEF wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is.  We do not own the sky.  THe same could be said that our carriers went underneath their bombers.  Who says who can and can't fly bombers in their nations interest?  Putin has EVERY reason to be suspicious of us and our obvious aggression and empirical behavior.  We're the ones not trying to cool things down...lame duck Condi is out shoe shopping instead of trying to assure Russia that our proposed missile defense systems in eastern Europe actually aren't meant to start another cold war..oh wait, we are trying to start one...

Russia FTW.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

...in the back of the bar surrounded by a pack of cronies. Now most of said cronies have gone, they're still throwing their weight around, spilling people's drinks, making lewd comments and filthy jokes, and generally being an ass.
Other than the hyperbolic rhetoric, I agree...it's no big deal.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6406|Somersetshire
someone's gotta say it
In Soviet Russia blah blah blah.....

anyway, this has pretty much been the most interesting topic in the news lately

Wonder who will back down first?
looks like both sides want see how far they can go
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

IRONCHEF wrote:

Russia FTW.

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Just apart from this, you think russia has every right to try and fly over european countries ? (I know finland has the most trouble with them, but it's generally new since the cold war for western european countries to have troubles with them) They are flying over british and german soil. They shouldn't because these countries "own" the airspace above it. Russians are not permitted into our airspace when it isn't discussed beforehand, and certainly not with military equipment. Not even in territorial waters belonging to us.

We're not trying to start one, the russians have been throwing their weight around, also 'reminding' us that if we do anything they won't like they will not hesitate to use nuclear arms as retaliation. As said by one of their generals. More idiotic statements have come forth from the kremlin and russia's military and I don't like it one bit.

Fuck Russia.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-02-12 10:15:34)

inane little opines
IRONCHEF
+385|6489|Northern California
Oh, it's ALL Russia's fault.  They're not responding to our provocations?  Which president has blown off alot of the good work and treaties between the US and Russia?  Which country has announced new missile "defense" bases along Russia's borders? 

last I checked, Russia wasn't planting missile bases in Cuba, Venezuela or Mexico.

And again, we do NOT own the sky.  I never condoned flying over other countries, like they did over Japan, who "lodged a complaint" against Russia.  And for what it's worth, I'm guessing we've got eyes on Russia as much as they've got theirs on us.  And no, I don't buy the idea that we're just innocently going about our business and not provoking other countries.  How do you explain the intensity with which N Korea has put together their nukes, or with the escalated espionage China has been doing.  Look at Chavez in Venezuela.  Are they all secretly ganging up on the US, or are they responding to increased and blatant provocation by our Cowboy in Chief?

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2008-02-12 10:48:25)

SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6105|Birmingham, UK

Mek-Izzle wrote:

If they do it, then others should do it to them. See how they like it.
Thats how war is started, the Russians would look for the tiniest excuse to let off a few rounds...

No offence to Russians.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

IRONCHEF wrote:

Oh, it's ALL Russia's fault.
Yes it is.

IRONCHEF wrote:

They're not responding to our provocations?  Which president has blown off alot of the good work and treaties between the US and Russia?  Which country has announced new missile "defense" bases along Russia's borders? 

last I checked, Russia wasn't planting missile bases in Cuba, Venezuela or Mexico.

And again, we do NOT own the sky.  I never condoned flying over other countries, like they did over Japan, who "lodged a complaint" against Russia.  And for what it's worth, I'm guessing we've got eyes on Russia as much as they've got theirs on us.  And no, I don't buy the idea that we're just innocently going about our business and not provoking other countries.  How do you explain the intensity with which N Korea has put together their nukes, or with the escalated espionage China has been doing.  Look at Chavez in Venezuela.  Are they all secretly ganging up on the US, or are they responding to increased and blatant provocation by our Cowboy in Chief?
So that Russia has been bullying Finland, annoying sweden and norway, and now scrambling jets over our countries is all our own fault? Yes Putin did a good job at first as president, but it seems like he loved his old USSR experiences so much that it's getting boring now and he wishes to get back to bussiness. They are provocating way more than we are. POLAND wishes to have the anti missile defenses in their country installed by the US. You go ahead and blame the US, but it's Poland which feels it needs these installations.

And they sent a Tu over Japan because they lodged a complaint. This is really serious bussiness it's like "You don't like us? Here let's make you scared with a couple of our big bombers". Inbetween the end of the cold war and just about 2003 the russian military has been keeping quiet. And now all of a sudden they're acting like the big boys again bullying everyone around them. We're the one responding to them being very annoying. Not the other way around.

Also, Poland has EVERY right to build a missile defense system on it's own soil if it wishes to have one. the US is simply the one installing it, what the fuck does Russia have to say about what poland may have and what not? Since when did they gain control over Poland? After all, it's a defensive system aswell. NOT offensive.
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard