Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England

Uzique wrote:

both my grandparents fought in ww2. one of my grandparents served in ww1 as well as ww2. my only cousin is in the royal marines, and he's 1 1/2 years younger than me. we both grew up together and played a lot together but neither of us were army geeks when we played as kids, so i don't buy that. furthermore my school is probably one of the most famous in england for its military tradition[/color], where a pretty sizeable chunk of the students are from very old officer-class military families and go on to sandhurst to continue the family game ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheltenham_College#Victoria_Crosses_won_by_Old_Cheltonians]14 victoria crosses have been awarded to old cheltenonians, and we are one of the only schools in england to have our own military colours). so what the fuck are you talking about i've had "no exposure to the military"? how can you say that, when you evidently don't know anything about my background? lol what a load of bollocks.

all i'm questioning is the romanticizing and hollywood-ification of the military that shifty showcases. it's clear that his ideal-dream vision of the military does not coincide in any way with the actual reality of military life-- let alone war and the battlefield. he's all about wikipedia-stats of vehicles and how damn good a well-pressed camo uniform looks like. a total walter mitty. except where that stereotype was once populated by sad 45-year old greying has-beens, now (as seen on bf2s) it's a new bunch of 14 year old kids that get off on fantasizing over this shit. i'm confused as to why. i played call of duty and fps games religiously through my teen years but i loved them because they were games, and provided a platform to kick other people's asses at a game. at no point did i think it would be cool to be involved in the siege of stalingrad because i sunk 150 hours into the map in a multiplayer game. does. not. compute.
Maybe his dad is a war re-enactor
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX
Yeah Sh1fty, you should go to university and study literature.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
rdx-fx
+955|6610

Uzique wrote:

i just wanna know on the individual/familial/societal level what it is nowadays that inculcates young children with such a veneration and glorification of the military.
If your family isn't independently wealthy, the military is a good way to get a college education paid for.

For many, it's a good way to spend ages 18-22. 
See the world, learn some discipline, get in decent shape, play with cool toys, blow stuff up, and generally make the transition from adolescent to adult.

After four years of that, you've (hopefully);
got your partying out of your system (so you don't drink/fuck/party your way to a 1.0 GPA in college),
know what you want to do for a lifelong career (so you don't spend 3 years switching majors),
and have the college funds to finance it (so you're debt free when you start your "real" life after the military and college).

Military attracts the adolescents with the lure of blowing stuff up, playing with tanks and helicopters, and shooting up the countryside.
It retains the young adult officers and NCOs in other ways (which I'll skip over, as it'd be a waste of time to explain here).
rdx-fx
+955|6610

eleven bravo wrote:

my father fought dirty commie sandinistas and lost
Wasn't your grandfather a General of some sorts?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
captain in somozas national guard
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Somozas are indian snacks bro.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489
where am i saying the military life is not a worthy one? where am i mentioning literature anywhere? you're really trying so hard to construe this as an ad hominem, uzique-knows-best thing, when it really really isn't. my posts do not communicate that point at all. all i'm asking is what sells the military idea to a kid at such a young age that he absolutely obsesses over it and makes it his sole raison d'etre. i'm very honestly curious about what inculcates that in a person's mind at such a young age.

you're also just being a boring, trollsome contrarian dilbert. you're one of the most anti-military, anti-america, anti-everything people on this forum: you denounce the military and any american military action ad nauseum. but then as soon as i start questioning why people are being sold on the 'glamorous' side of the military at age 14... oh it must just be me asserting that literature is the finest path to take, the road to true self-fulfillment! lol what a fucking joke. such a puerile, immature, kneejerk way of being for a man of your age, dilbert.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're not being boring and trollsome telling Sh1fty he shouldn't join the military unless he has a thought out reason backed up by deep self-analysis?

Sometimes you have to let natural selection take its course.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-01-02 13:43:19)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
he still shouldnt join
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why not?
America isn't due for a ground war for ten years, he can sit in the barracks and play Xbox.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
because he will be eaten alive by his fellow servicemembers.
Tu Stultus Es
rdx-fx
+955|6610

eleven bravo wrote:

he still shouldnt join
Send him to college first.
He'd be fine as a 2LT.

rdx-fx
+955|6610

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why not?
America isn't due for a ground war for ten years, he can sit in the barracks and play Xbox.
We've moved up the timetable.

Clock starts at the beginning of each war, not the end of the last war.

So, ten years was up oh.. about a month or two ago.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think this is a special case though, the traditional once a decade war is going to be skipped since two major wars started at the beginning of the last decade.

But for Iraq you'd be looking for another about now ie Iran.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

eleven bravo wrote:

He's white I think he'll be OK.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6489

Dilbert_X wrote:

You're not being boring and trollsome telling Sh1fty he shouldn't join the military unless he has a thought out reason backed up by deep self-analysis?

Sometimes you have to let natural selection take its course.
a) where am i telling him he shouldn't join (i am interested in what sells the military career, not decreeing nobody should have one)
b) what does natural selection or any attitude relating to that have to do with literature degrees?

looks like you were just being a silly old fart, doesn't it? quelle surprise!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
rdx-fx
+955|6610

eleven bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Skinny white suburban kids are a distinct minority in the enlisted ranks.
If you're lower enlisted and white, you're probably a redneck.
Only place you'll find a majority of white lower enlisted is in military intelligence, or engineers.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-01-02 14:10:17)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England

rdx-fx wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Skinny white suburban kids are a distinct minority in the enlisted ranks.
If you're lower enlisted and white, you're probably a redneck.
Only place you'll find a majority of white lower enlisted is in military intelligence, or engineers.
Depends on the GT score requirements. My MOS was mostly white and male but our 'sister MOS' had lower standards and was a lot more mixed.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6610

Dilbert_X wrote:

I think this is a special case though, the traditional once a decade war is going to be skipped since two major wars started at the beginning of the last decade.

Timetable moved up, on the basis of "We can kick the living shit out of any middle eastern army in 2 months flat.  As long as we don't hang around to clean up afterwards"

More wars is more gooder for shareholders, dontchaknow!
Gotta recession goin' on, gotta get our war-on, keep the economy moving, keep the plebes distracted, dontchaknow!
rdx-fx
+955|6610

Jay wrote:

Depends on the GT score requirements. My MOS was mostly white and male but our 'sister MOS' had lower standards and was a lot more mixed.
My engineer MOS got recombined with two other MOS while I was in.
One high-GT MOS, one medium-high MOS, one must-have-pulse MOS.

Naturally, our section got the NCOs from our 'drunken in-bred distant cousin' MOS.
Two alcoholic gonna-retire-at-E5 section leaders, one exceptionally annoying E6, and a pair of E7's on the RIS program
(RIS = Retired In Service = don't do anything but sit at battalion, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and drive around avoiding officers that hand out work)
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6556|Long Island, New York
I think the main reason I think Shifty will never make it is because it's all he talks about. Most people here that were either in it or plan to join the service (like myself) don't talk about it in every other post or obsess about it in every aspect of their life.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5806|Catherine Black
I'm joining the Royal Navy this year, I have my final interview on the 13th of this month and will be at HMS Raleigh about April/May time for basic training. You don't see my gabbing on about it constantly.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
rdx-fx
+955|6610

Poseidon wrote:

I think the main reason I think Shifty will never make it is because it's all he talks about. Most people here that were either in it or plan to join the service (like myself) don't talk about it in every other post or obsess about it in every aspect of their life.
Still, if he makes an attempt at it, he's got more balls than your average Airsoft wannabe mall-cop TSA drone.
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5996|Blue Mountain State
Sometimes the military is pretty awesome. Lots of days off and you get to shoot people. But most of the time it's pretty stupid, especially when you work under dumb fucking people. People who shouldn't have a position of power.

Just because your rank increases doesn't mean your intelligence does too.

Last edited by 1stSFOD-Delta (2012-01-02 14:39:03)

https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

rdx-fx wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Timetable moved up, on the basis of "We can kick the living shit out of any middle eastern army in 2 months flat.  As long as we don't hang around to clean up afterwards"

More wars is more gooder for shareholders, dontchaknow!
Gotta recession goin' on, gotta get our war-on, keep the economy moving, keep the plebes distracted, dontchaknow!
I'm not sure, Obama isn't stupid - he's fucked up the economy so that Gingrich will have a hard time starting a war.
Attack Iran and the oil price will be $200/bbl, so the oil majors would make a ton of money.
I just proved myself wrong - Sh1fty start learning farsi.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard