ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
1) Do you believe:

A)
We are running out of gas, oil supplies are vanishing.

Or
B)
We really have no idea about the extend, or nature of oil deposits or even how exactly they are formed.

And do you feel that in a time of war that we should have to put up with this shit.

Let's wonder if these men were on the edge of a energy breakthrough;

http://www.apfn.org/APFN/scientists.htm
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6706
-I agree with B
-Oil companies shouldn't be allowed this monopoly
-I don't believek that all of those scientists were involved in the energy industry
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6760|San Antonio, Texas
A) But not at the rate people are saying.

And no I think it's bullshit that oil companies are seeing all-time profits while they are saying oil is tight and at a time when we are at war.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
We are nowhere near the end of oil.

But we are getting to the stage where finding oil will get a lot tougher. That's what is meant by 'peak'.

We have SOME idea of how they're formed... but we don't know the exact conditions which cause it to form oil, as opposed to gas or something else.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6706

Spark wrote:

We have SOME idea of how they're formed... but we don't know the exact conditions which cause it to form oil, as opposed to gas or something else.
Do you mean natural gas or gasoline?

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2008-02-10 21:20:59)

ATG
Banned

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

-I agree with B
-Oil companies shouldn't be allowed this monopoly
-I don't believek that all of those scientists were involved in the energy industry
This is a better example.
RECONDO67
+60|6636|miami FL
I agree that nothing last for ever and eventually we will run out and go back to steam
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida

ATG wrote:

1) Do you believe:

A)

Or
B)
We really have no idea about the extend, or nature of oil deposits or even how exactly they are formed.

And do you feel that in a time of war that we should have to put up with this shit.

Its funny how people bitch about Oil company profits.
You dont bitch about Niagara-Mohawk electricity profits do you?
Exxon is a company that distributes a product. If you don't like it then dont buy there oil.
Problem is you need there product. But you also need food but a lot less people complain about General Mills profit.

Oh and i think we are running out of oil eventually, but i also think that no ones gunna do anything about it, and if they do, they'll probly take advantage of it to RAPE us of our money.

"Yeah here's this ultra clean, never ending fuel source, but its 100k per car and theres only a refuel station every 100 miles"

Last edited by Mitch (2008-02-10 21:25:25)

15 more years! 15 more years!
ATG
Banned

Mitch wrote:

ATG wrote:

1) Do you believe:

A)

Or
B)

Exxon is a company that distributes a product. If you don't like it then dont buy there oil.
Problem is you need there product. But you also need food but a lot less people complain about General Mills profit.
A fair profit is fine. Record profits during time of war, imo is treason, or at least shameless fuckedheaditry.

Or put another way; capitalism run wild.

FUCK the oil companies. They make a good case for having things sate run because they are screwing us. Unfortunately, the State is the best refuge for criminals and so we are trapped between a capitalist and a bandit.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5961|Washington DC
I agree with B, but I think we need to get some new alternative resources ASAP. Nuclear energy please, and some solar and hydroelectric for good measure. How about some hydrogen cars? Let's not forget GOOD energy efficient lightbulbs (AKA LEDs).

Big Oil needn't worry... they can just become Big Uranium, or Big Hydrogen, or Big Photovoltaic Panel
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6130|North Tonawanda, NY

Mitch wrote:

Oh and i think we are running out of oil eventually, but i also think that no ones gunna do anything about it, and if they do, they'll probly take advantage of it to RAPE us of our money.

"Yeah here's this ultra clean, never ending fuel source, but its 100k per car and theres only a refuel station every 100 miles"
My electricity does not cost anywhere near as much as my gasoline.  There are many other food companies that I can choose to buy from, so they can't control the market like oil companies can.  The cost to enter the oil market is so high that it will basically never happen, so the existing ones can control the prices.  I can't just decide to buy the generic gas, like I can with cereal.
ATG
Banned

SenorToenails wrote:

Mitch wrote:

My electricity does not cost anywhere near as much as my gasoline.  There are many other food companies that I can choose to buy from, so they can't control the market like oil companies can.  The cost to enter the oil market is so high that it will basically never happen, so the existing ones can control the prices.  I can't just decide to buy the generic gas, like I can with cereal.
Well...yes you can
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

ATG wrote:

Well...yes you can
Where?  The cheapest gas I can find in Rochester, NY is $3.14/gallon at Sam's Club (as of saturday).

Edit:  Oh, I see.  The difference between Getty and Mobil.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-02-10 21:35:33)

Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon

HurricaИe wrote:

How about some hydrogen cars?
As long as the energy used to manufacture the hydrogen is clean and efficient.  Otherwise, it's a waste of time and money.
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6706
I don't mind generic gas, but Shell gas sucks.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida

SenorToenails wrote:

Mitch wrote:

This is true, but in all fairness you have to give props to Exxon and others for fucking owning the market.
Yeah it sucks.
But you and everyone else in the world is at their mercy. And your only complaining because your not making the money.
jason85
Banned
+58|5997|Mesa, AZ
I don't think we are anywhere close to running out of oil. I watched something about it on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel. Dude said that the oil that is easiest and cheapest to get will last maybe another 50 years, but oil that is harder and more expensive to get will easily last us over 100 years.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Mitch wrote:

This is true, but in all fairness you have to give props to Exxon and others for fucking owning the market.
Yeah it sucks.
But you and everyone else in the world is at their mercy. And your only complaining because your not making the money.
Hey, I never said I was bitching.  I just get pissed when these companies make all their profits, and then don't use them to upgrade/maintain the infrastructure.  Look at the telecoms and the sub par broadband in America.  Look at the oil companies and their aging refineries.  Corporations are so concerned with the next-quarter profit that it seems that nothing is spent to benefit the consumers.  I think there is an element of morality that ought to exist in corporate America.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida

SenorToenails wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Yeah it sucks.
Hey, I never said I was bitching.  I just get pissed when these companies make all their profits, and then don't use them to upgrade/maintain the infrastructure.  Look at the telecoms and the sub par broadband in America.  Look at the oil companies and their aging refineries.  Corporations are so concerned with the next-quarter profit that it seems that nothing is spent to benefit the consumers.  I think there is an element of morality that ought to exist in corporate America.
Haha i dont mean to make enemies with you, just a friendly debate =]

But oil companies are just using up there last years to make as much profit as possible. I don't blame them, Mr. Mobil's family is probly fed for the next 4000 years.

ill discuss more in the morning

Last edited by Mitch (2008-02-10 22:14:00)

elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6338|EsSeX
well with the growth rates that China and India are having we will be suffering ever increasing Oil costs

even if production stays the same every year from now on the prices still increase

Are Humans Smarter Than Yeast? explains growth rates

A Crude Awakening
[google]http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-703701197044020456[/google]

Edit: forgot to say

A) We are running out of gas, oil supplies are vanishing. people need to wake up oils not just about everyones cars

Last edited by elstonieo (2008-02-10 22:18:01)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6571|USA
well, seeing as neither is mutually exclusive, i'd like to take this opportunity to say both.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6511|Gold Coast

Mitch wrote:

But oil companies are just using up there last years to make as much profit as possible. I don't blame them, Mr. Mobil's family is probly fed for the next 4000 years.
You forgot yearly inflation

Back on topic, I think that there are heaps of competitors out in the fuel market. In Aus, we have the supermarket chains, the independent chains, Mobil, Shell, BP etc, there are heaps. But the price is shit for the quality, which is also usually fuckin rediculous. But Im not exactly going to start looking for oil myself and create my own oil business, so I wont complain when I get a car :\
Alternatively, you could give up those SUVs and get a smart car, or a Toyota Prius

With oil supplies, yes we will run out, but I think there will be heaps of oil fields still unheard of in 20 years time. Who knows? We might still be looking for that massive oil field the size of a state? Id say we'd be on the verge of running out in 2075 perhaps. And by then, Im sure we'd already have hydrogen fueled cars and all sorts of crazy shit as an alternative to oil.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
A
I reckon we have about 50 years, given the expansion in China and India.
Bear in mind during the last 25 years of the 50  the price will rise exponentially.

I believe the big finds have all been made, the geology of the whole planet is pretty well mapped, we know how its formed.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

I'll go with B.

And remember, the profits oil companies are seeing, when put forward as profit per dollar of revenue, are not inconsistent with other industries and actually are lower than several. It's just that the high risk of drilling and refining has limited the industry to a handful of companies (the cost of entering the market is simply too high). With the increased demand worldwide, their economy of scale is huge, which in turn results in huge profits overall with fairly normal profit per dollar of revenue.

Also, nearly 3/4 of most oil companies' profits go right back into exploration and alternate energy development...both very high risk operations.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Also, nearly 3/4 of most oil companies' profits go right back into exploration and alternate energy development...both very high risk operations.
You're right about alternate energy being high risk. You get whacked (you can interpret whacked either literally or metaphorically and it'll still make sense) by the same bastards if you try to show anything new

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-02-11 03:05:06)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard