MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6225|Schofield Barracks
So JROTC has been pretty amazing. Ive flown in a C130 and im going to get to fly in a CH-47 very soon. The LET 2s wernt so good so im a Staff Sergeant now and im a SL. Im on the raider team and its pretty kick ass. i wear ACUs to school every Tuesday. Ive been to places while in my dress greens and a lot of people ask me what JROTC is and a lot of people in the military have asked me if ill be joining and they tell me good luck and give me advice. One of the best things is having the whole Battalion in formation. Having about 100+ people yell hooah is coo, i don't know how to explain it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6502
indoKKKtriNation

Last edited by Uzique (2009-03-30 17:59:40)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5733|College Park, MD
I got into the Virgnia Tech Corps of Cadets.

I'm having second thoughts about attending VT now
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!
+9|6229|San Clemente(best city ever)

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

congrats bro.

I applied to USMA (West Point=Army Academy for those who dont know) and am expecting my rejection letter shortly...

Im hoping for my ROTC scholarship to come through though...
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6373|Atlanta, Georgia
Yea i dont know what im gonna do yet either. I can go to Ga Tech and get into the ROTC program there and become an officer or just go into active duty.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

spasticus5 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

congrats bro.

I applied to USMA (West Point=Army Academy for those who dont know) and am expecting my rejection letter shortly...

Im hoping for my ROTC scholarship to come through though...
I hope you got in man. Yeah, thing is I'm doubting whether I'll be able to handle the much more rigid and intense life in the VTCC as compared to the general population. On one hand I've wanted to join the military for a while, and the Corps of Cadets seems like a good way to wet my feet. On the other hand, I also want to have a normal college experience... e.g. staying up late, chilling with friends etc. Which seems a bit more restricted in the Corps of Cadets.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6696|NT, like Mick Dundee

Sounds cool.

As Uzi said indoctrination. That's all part of the armed forces experience though.

Hurri, I have a mate who has spent some time in the Australian Army and is now at university in Australia, from his stories I'd say both are worth while experiences to have.

I think if you made him pick though he'd take the Army lifestyle over Uni.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-03-30 18:30:46)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!
@ Hurri- Ive heard that ROTC is generally much more relaxed than USMA. But to be honest I dont know how it is in a school like VT. Id have to imagine its somewhere in between full on military school and ROTC.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
@Flecco true. I could always just have a normal uni experience and then just join the military and do OCS.

@Spasticus yeah ROTC is much more relaxed from what I've heard, but Senior Military Colleges like VT and Texas A&M and The Citadel can be pretty damn demanding. Not quite at the level of the academies, but they're the next best thing.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6569|Long Island, New York
i'll be doing AFROTC at whichever university I go to (looking like Pace in NYC or American University in DC)

so

yeah

ok
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6696|NT, like Mick Dundee

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

@Flecco true. I could always just have a normal uni experience and then just join the military and do OCS.
He did it the other way around but got offered a choice between the desks or leaving out-right due to a shoulder injury. He was in the process of trying to enter the infantry or cavalry.

He's currently doing his first year at uni and has gone from a keen uni bludger to seriously considering joining the reserves.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Poseidon wrote:

i'll be doing AFROTC at whichever university I go to (looking like Pace in NYC or American University in DC)

so

yeah

ok
come to the chocolate city
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6569|Long Island, New York

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

so

yeah

ok
come to the chocolate city
i'm good actually
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5606|The Wild West
I was in jrotc
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|6009|Blue Mountain State

Man With No Name wrote:

I was in jrotc
lies and slander
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5606|The Wild West
before I joined the army
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|6009|Blue Mountain State

Man With No Name wrote:

before I joined the army
at least you weren't a fag ass jarhead
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

@Spasticus yeah ROTC is much more relaxed from what I've heard, but Senior Military Colleges like VT and Texas A&M and The Citadel can be pretty damn demanding. Not quite at the level of the academies, but they're the next best thing.
ya i didnt apply to any of the senior military colleges. I guess in my mind it was either the academy or normal college with ROTC haha
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6793

never understood rotc
rdx-fx
+955|6623
Dumbest thing I've ever done was turning down a full-ride scholarship to USMA West Point.

Never ever ever ever let a female figure into your life-planning, unless said female is your daughter.
EVER.
spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!

rdx-fx wrote:

Dumbest thing I've ever done was turning down a full-ride scholarship to USMA West Point.

Never ever ever ever let a female figure into your life-planning, unless said female is your daughter.
EVER.
i take it you mean you had a gf who convinced you otherwise?
rdx-fx
+955|6623

spasticus5 wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

EVER.
Not quite.
Months of separation were in the plans.  Four years was not.
18 years old, and I thought i had the best girl in the world waiting for me.
(LMAO.  Hadn't heard of Jody yet...)

Also, they asked at a bad time and a lousy way.
When you've been in a basic training environment for 10 weeks already (4 waiting for it to start, 6 weeks into actual basic) - asking someone if they want to do 208 more weeks in such an environment while simultaneously doing a full-load four-year college degree, and lose your GI Bill, and give up your MI MOS field..  suddenly it doesn't sound nearly so cool.

They made it sound like "208 weeks of basic training, and we assign you as a Lieutenant wherever we want to, according to the needs of the Army.  Cooks, Infantry, In-flight missile mechanic.. wherever."
spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!

rdx-fx wrote:

spasticus5 wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

EVER.
Not quite.
Months of separation were in the plans.  Four years was not.
18 years old, and I thought i had the best girl in the world waiting for me.
(LMAO.  Hadn't heard of Jody yet...)

Also, they asked at a bad time and a lousy way.
When you've been in a basic training environment for 10 weeks already (4 waiting for it to start, 6 weeks into actual basic) - asking someone if they want to do 208 more weeks in such an environment while simultaneously doing a full-load four-year college degree, and lose your GI Bill, and give up your MI MOS field..  suddenly it doesn't sound nearly so cool.

They made it sound like "208 weeks of basic training, and we assign you as a Lieutenant wherever we want to, according to the needs of the Army.  Cooks, Infantry, In-flight missile mechanic.. wherever."
well it doesnt sound like you have it too bad now but ya I can see your point.

As for me right now, senior in high school and still waiting for West Point to say something, if they accept me I drop everything and say yes but I will probably get a letter beginning something along the lines of "Thank you very much for applying blah, blah, blah and we are sorry we cannot accept you"

Last edited by spasticus5 (2009-03-30 23:27:11)

rdx-fx
+955|6623

spasticus5 wrote:

well it doesnt sound like you have it too bad now but ya I can see your point.

As for me right now, senior in high school and still waiting for West Point to say something, if they accept me I drop everything and say yes but I will probably get a letter beginning something along the lines of "Thank you very much for applying blah, blah, blah and we are sorry we cannot accept you"
I'm happy with where I ended up.

West Point is an excellent education, judging by some of the people I've known who've gone through there.

There's also the option of getting a conventional 4-year degree from a regular college, then going to OCS (Officer Candidate School).
Both end up with you as a Lieutenant in the military.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard