Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
Here's one environmental topic that is almost never discussed (due, obviously, to the GW debate )

Genetically engineered/modified food.

I'm posting this now because one Australian state (Victoria) has just legalized the growing of genetically engineered food, much to the chagrin of various environmental groups. (I probably have the details wrong on this, btw. If a Victorian could point it out...)

So.

What is GM food?

Genetically modified food - crops, basically. Pretty self-explanatory IMO. Basically, you artificially alter the genes of the crop to give said crops new 'traits' or phenotypes. (There are other methods but this is the most common). First appeared around 1994-1996, now is taking off, especially in the US.

What's it for?

The idea is to give said crops superior traits, like far bigger yield, resistance to disease, can grow in more places. That kind of thing that would greatly increase the quantity/quality of food by a staggering amount. If done properly, you could solve major food shortages overnight and also prevent possible famines in future. ('Cos let's face it, the current system of NGO/bilateral aid isn't working nearly as well as it should be). Best summed up by this pro-GM manifesto:[/b]

The ABIC 2004 Manifesto,http://www.agrometeorology.org/index.php?id=386 wrote:

On our planet, 18% of the land mass is used for agricultural production. This fraction cannot be increased substantially.It is absolutely essential that the yield per unit of land increases beyond current levels given that:The human population is still growing, and will reach about nine billion by 2040;7 Mio hectare of agricultural land (equivalent to 60% of the German agricultural area) are lost annually to growth of cities and other non-agricultural uses;Consumer diets in developing countries are increasingly changing from plant-based proteins to animal protein, a trend that requires a greater amount of crop-based feed...

Sound, modern science, especially in plant biotechnology, will help to solve current and future problems in feeding a growing pop ulation; in particular, plant science will provide solutions to problems at the interface between agriculture and the environment... Genetically modified plants will help to ensure a secure and sustainable future for agriculture.
What are the problems of GM food?

Lots have been named, many of which are debated and few of which are proven (well, it is kinda new)

• Accidental introduction of diseases and ailments. Fuck around with nature (which is what you're doing, pure and simple) and you run the serious risk of creating crops which are hypertoxic to humans simply because they're unknown. There's a funny thing with the world and humans: our tolerance level to a substance is pretty much proportional to the exposure we get naturally. So a brand new substance = zero tolerance = bad. There already has been instances of The main thing is, though, no-one knows what effects it could have - especially long-term ones (the ones that appear from accumalation over a period of yearsr), and is it really a good idea to gamble with the healthcare of the whole world? No-one really knows.
  • Contamination. This, currently, is a big one, but if GM foods become more accepted this will gradually disappear. Not everyone wants to eat/grow GM food. So they grow the natural crops. The problem is crops pollinate, obviously, so that means the pollen is meant to get blown around here there and everywhere by wind. So the genes will spread, and some farmer who doesn't want to grow GM crops (and relies on not growing GM crops for his income) suddenly finds that his crops are all of the GM variety being grown by the guy 20km down the road. It's basically unintended sabotage, and the only thing to blame is the wind. Obviously this begs the question: How far away do you have to grow GM so it's safe? (This is referred to as 'segregation') Truth is, no-one's sure - either of how far it should go or whether segregation will actually do the job. So for now, this is a big one.
  • Screwing with evolution. Similar to the last, but, referring more to the environment. Do you really want to go kicking evolution in the balls? Cos that's what you risk doing if you're not careful. Make an organism too powerful and it will run rampant. Equally, introduce an organism into an ecosystem that has never had the like could be equally bad (Cane toad, anyone?). So throwing a couple of new genes designed purely to give an organism an advantage... no-one really knows.However, we have been toying with evolution for a long, long, time without too much harm. After all, that's what crossbreeding is.
  • Corporate concerns. Yeah, I know, but I had to put this in here. Some people think that GM food could place too much power in the hands of biotech companies in control of GM and thus of the world's food supply. A vital concern, but one not really relevant to this paticular debate IMO.
  • Intellectual property. Don't know much about this one, but could be a serious issue. I suppose it's kind of hard to patent a plant...

[b]Where is it grown?

Mostly in North America - US makes up about 2/3 of the world's GM production. Other main producers are Argentina (about 20%), Canada, Brazil and China (around 5% each). In the US, GM food make up a (to me, anyway) staggerin proportion of the crops: almost all soybean, about 2/3rds of maize are GM, and three quarters of ALL processed food has a GM element to it.

Notes

A lot of weird stuff has circulated around this topic. At least twice there has been big scares over supposed health risks over experimental GM food, one surrounding GM potatoes, one GM corn, one Brazil nut. In none of these episodes was there any conclusive evidence of said health risks, and two had poor research/statistical methods which resulted in the conclusion. In my mind, this reinforces the phrase that best describes the GM food debate: 'No one really knows.'

On public opinion: Not many people know a lot about GM food. I only looked at this after a fair bit of research, and I still don't know very much (notice the general nature of the possible improvements that I listed). Those that do know, however, are almost all antagonistic (not against though) to GM food. I think people aren't quite sure yet: it's a new, and as of yet unproven technology. We'll just have to wait and see is the general view.

---

So what are your thoughts? Personally, I have reservations but I don't see too many other choices in getting more food with less land (which is what we have to do).

At the very least this'll remind everyone that there are more environmental debates other than pollution (GW falls in this category) and whaling.

N.B. I found a lot of other, secondary uses for GM food (vaccines caught my attention). Don't know how feasible they are, though.

Last edited by Spark (2012-09-19 18:22:17)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
messfeeder
+31|6527|Gotham
All I know is that bananas may become extinct because of GM tactics. We already eat a different species of banana today than we did a few years back because those species have died off due to lowered disease resistance. It's the same reason why marrying your cousin is illegal. You and your cousin might both be smoking hot and very intelligent, but your babies could come out as fugly retards.

As far as my views on this subject, I try to eat organically grown food whenever I can, especially if it is locally grown. I grew up with a peach tree in my backyard and I always thought that there is no store-bought peach that could match a peach that comes right off the tree in the backyard. If everyone were a little more self-sustaining, then this wouldn't be so big of an issue. When America was first settled, nearly every person here was a farmer. I heard a statistic to the effect that the percentage of the population that is farmers has shrunk from something like 70% to 2%. Not exact figures and I don't have a ref, but I can look it up if you like. Besides being organic and not GM, growing food in your own yard has many benefits.

Last edited by messfeeder (2008-02-01 23:48:56)

LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6379|MN
I work for a large food manufacturer.  You would be surprised how many foods you allready eat that have GMO ingredients.  They are very commonplace and as a matter of fact it more odd to see non-gmo ingredients come through our doors.

To me, as long as we have been producing crops, we have been modifying plants.  They have been cross polinating corn and other crops from the very beginning.  I know not the same as genetically modifying, but very similar and they have the same result.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

LividBovine wrote:

I work for a large food manufacturer.  You would be surprised how many foods you allready eat that have GMO ingredients.  They are very commonplace and as a matter of fact it more odd to see non-gmo ingredients come through our doors.

To me, as long as we have been producing crops, we have been modifying plants.  They have been cross polinating corn and other crops from the very beginning.  I know not the same as genetically modifying, but very similar and they have the same result.
I was very suprised indeed, reread the post - especially the new section about where it is grown. Really surprising figures, those.

I did mention cross-pollination, but that's more like pushing evolution in a certain direction. GM is more like chopping up evolution and taking the bits you like. I see what you mean though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
I prefer to eat organic food. Organic meat, organic fruit, organic vegetables...etc.

Not that I'm opposed to GM food, it's just the way I prefer. Tastes better, too.
<SharpShot>
chronic gamer
+17|6319|Canadia
anyone heard of Norman Bourlag? if not in not suprised, but he has been a leader in gm crops and when awarded a nobel prize way back in the 70s they said that his efforts had saved a billion lives (he gave gm crops to china and india) (look him up)
<SharpShot>
chronic gamer
+17|6319|Canadia

Poseidon wrote:

Tastes better, too.
currently 90% of wheat in north america has been altered in some way (genetic engineering or selective breeding),  eat any bread or pasta? can u tell the difference?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York

<SharpShot> wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Tastes better, too.
currently 90% of wheat in north america has been altered in some way (genetic engineering or selective breeding),  eat any bread or pasta? can u tell the difference?
From organic food to regular? Yeah. Like, when I'm at a restauraunt, I can tell the difference between foods I eat at my house.

Like I said - organic tastes better.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Poseidon wrote:

<SharpShot> wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Tastes better, too.
From organic food to regular? Yeah. Like, when I'm at a restauraunt, I can tell the difference between foods I eat at my house.

I think that's more due to the general difference between the shit you eat at home (which is almost all processed) and what they prepare at restaurants. I don't think that has much to do with GM food, more to do with better preparation and cooking.
~ Richard Feynman
messfeeder
+31|6527|Gotham

Poseidon wrote:

<SharpShot> wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Tastes better, too.

I totally agree. When my mom started buying organic milk I didn't like it at first because it was so different. Now I can't go back to that other stuff. Plus, I have never been lactose intolerant, but now non-organic milk gives me bad gas. Organic foods tend to have more complex flavor to them IMO.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6510|Gold Coast
Mmm....
Personally I really dont give a rats ass if the change and difference in taste is that much different.

But, like Sharpshots post, it can come to the climate for growing crops. Some guy at Army Cadets was a bio dude studying crops and that, and he's been researching new ways to make crops more adaptable to different climates. E.G, for Australia crops that use less water blah blah blah.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Hawk390
+27|6643|Melbourne, Australia
I dont see any problem with GM crops. It helps developing countries feed rapidly expanding populations at reduced cost and higher yields on the same plots of land. In Australia i dont see why theres a resistance to the introduction. On one hand people are complaining of farmers being ruined by drought and cheap imports, lack of subsidies, fire, etc etc. Then when a viable alternative which can create drought resistant crops with heigher yields, enabling them to compete again comes along, people get all huffy and say they shouldnt be allowed.

As long as its controlled and kept safe, there shouldnt be a problem with GM crops.
PureFodder
+225|6284
If you're anti-GM and pro-organic then you run into an obvious problem of how do you feed the world? GM often produce more food per unit are than regular crops and organic crops produce way less, so as the populace rises you either need more farmable land (cutting down rainforests etc.) more output pre are of land (get rid of organic and replace with GM crops) or a mass move to vegitarianism (meat production produces far less food per unit are than fruit/veg/cereals etc.)
messfeeder
+31|6527|Gotham

PureFodder wrote:

If you're anti-GM and pro-organic then you run into an obvious problem of how do you feed the world? GM often produce more food per unit are than regular crops and organic crops produce way less, so as the populace rises you either need more farmable land (cutting down rainforests etc.) more output pre are of land (get rid of organic and replace with GM crops) or a mass move to vegitarianism (meat production produces far less food per unit are than fruit/veg/cereals etc.)
Or there is another solution, which I mentioned above. Less farms, more gardens. One plant can grow enough food to provide for an entire neighborhood if you're lucky. There was one year we didn't prune our peach tree and we counted several hundred peaches on just one branch! Every year we give away lots of peaches to our neighbors. I love it when neighbors bring over produce from their gardens. It taste so much better than from the store. Picked fresh with little distance traveled.
Spark
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

messfeeder wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Or there is another solution, which I mentioned above. Less farms, more gardens. One plant can grow enough food to provide for an entire neighborhood if you're lucky. There was one year we didn't prune our peach tree and we counted several hundred peaches on just one branch! Every year we give away lots of peaches to our neighbors. I love it when neighbors bring over produce from their gardens. It taste so much better than from the store. Picked fresh with little distance traveled.
Not many people have nearly enough time, money or will to do that.
~ Richard Feynman
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6379|MN
Here is my solution.  Eat what you want.  If you like organic, eat organic.  If you are starving, you eat anything.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6228|NSW, Australia

if they can make it fool-proof, no problems, then i dont have a problem with it, but if theres a chance i could get some hypertoxic disease then im staying away
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
GMO food is the only foreseeable solution to world hunger. While organic food is nicer I'll agree, the world's population is just to big to feed everyone without modifying the crops.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina
I support GM crops.  What I don't support is the use of bovine growth hormones in cows for milk and beef.  Bovine growth hormone has been proven to accelerate the development of children (especially girls) when cows affected by this hormone are eaten or their milk is drunk, which can create many health concerns.

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-02-03 08:56:14)

Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6684|Espoo, Finland
More food -> more people -> more hunger
Turquoise
O Canada
More food -> more people -> more hunger -> -/
/\                                                                 /
l <-soilent green<-------------------------------/
messfeeder
+31|6527|Gotham

Turquoise wrote:

l <-cannibalism<---------------------------------/
fixed.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6569|Portland, OR, USA

Poseidon wrote:

<SharpShot> wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Tastes better, too.

You do realize that meat can qualify as organic simply because they came from an "organic" breeding facility, meaning that they got their vaccinations/medicine at a facility a mile down the road where they were born/went when they were sick.  Organic is a huge face in most cases, the only way you can truly eat "organic" food is if you grow it yourself.  It's funny how the mind can tell you want you want to believe as well, a self-fulfilling prophecy, in most cases I can hardly tell the difference between organic and non-organic foods.

And Genetic Engineering is not strictly found in crops only.  Most of your fast food comes from genetically modified animals who have been modified to grow more meat. (bigger chicken breasts, cows produce more milk -- some of these things do have side effects).

Time will tell, genetically modifying is dangerous in many respects, I can't say it's good to mess around with nature but we've left ourselves with little choice.  There was even a case where a small farmer was sued because a huge company was growing their crops next to his farm and the crops got cross-pollinated.  Because he "stole" their protected GM foods, he had to destroy his crops.... But with the growing population, everyone has to eat, I still say we should start limiting our population before it gets really nasty -- but of course that'd be infringing on your personal rights, you can't have five kids each and expect to eat high quality food...
Turquoise
O Canada

messfeeder wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

l <-cannibalism<---------------------------------/
fixed.
That's what the soilent green reference was for...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

The argument shouldn't (IMO) be about whether or not it is wrong to "mess with mother nature".  Livestock and foodstuffs have been modified since the advent of agriculture - there is overwhelming historical precedent.  As for the supposed "problems" in the OP -

Disease - Almost non-factor.  Diseases already inherent in nature (and evolving much more efficiently than science could contend with) are much more worrisome than a possible introduction through scientifically enhanced crops.  The worst that could possibly happen is a virus becoming more resistant to attempts at quashing it - but is something that the medical/scientific community is already having to deal with (not a new problem).
Contamination - From strictly a biological diversity aspect, I think this is largely unfounded hysteria.  There are countless seed banks developed (and developing) as a way to combat already increasing biodiversity issues already inherent to mass agribusiness - it is another inherent situation within agricultural communities.  This can especially be observed in regions where there are large isolated agricultural communities- the elimination of "substandard" foodstuff to the ecologically (and perhaps nutritionally) superior crops, at a possible loss to other natural characteristics.
Screwing With Evolution - Again, largely already inherent in virtually all agriculture cultivation and production.  Yes, factors of environment already create incredibly efficient foodstuffs, and have been for years.  At the same time, scientific progress allows for a possibility of artificial assistance to evolution.

The above three arguments are based upon the idea that artificial tampering with natural elements could cause irreparable harm to foodstuffs the human population need to survive.  To me, largely unsubstantiated and simply an emotional argument that we should "leave nature alone".

The last two "problems" in the OP are what the debate about GM food should be about (IMO).  Corporate responsibility in regards to GM foods.  Corporations are leading the push for GM food - it is not humanitarian efforts to produce more food for the explosive human population - it is the incentive of profit that leads most of the progress.  Some of the first corporate-backed GM food product was corn and other crops that had increased resistance to herbicides and pesticides - allowing Monsanto to increase revenue off their Roundup pesticide by pairing it with crops that were Roundup-resistant.  Now, this (creating 'designer' crops) is certainly not inherently destructive.  But this is where the idea of contamination, intellectual property, and competition come to butt heads with the push for profit and corporate responsibility. 

An introduction of GM food into areas where there are organic or non-modified crops growing is a concern, but not necessarily from a biodiversity perspective.  There would be obvious concerns over cross-pollination from GM crops to non-modified crops.  This is largely speculative, but a very real concern: if a company or person owned a specific type of GM crop and this crop became invasive and eventually became integrated into non-GM crops, what is stopping the owner of the intellectual rights of the GM crop from suing the person who now grows the GM crops through no fault of his own - punishment simply for growing crops next to GM food, while at the same time possibly allowing the owner of the GM food to profit from a natural occurrence (cross-pollination)?  Should an entity be allowed to hold a patent on a specific type of engineered food or livestock product?  What happens if the only seeds available to commercial farmers are GM seeds for crops that cannot reproduce?  Soon the average farmer becomes reliant on the supplier of the seeds for a living, and small farms become a thing of the past, losing to large agribusiness production.  This is not a stretch of imagination by any means - it is already the direction that livestock and agriculture is heading in America, much like Wal-Mart and other super chains have impacted the independent grocery and sundry business.  Surely this is an emotional argument in the most general form, but it has undertones of a detachment-digression from a production society to a consumer society.

Looking at agribusiness in general, there could be amazing positive impacts from GM food, and there could be incredible negative consequences from GM business.  To me, the idea of GM food is not the great solution for Malthusian theory.  The introduction of advanced farming and cultivation methods to regions that largely subsistence farm is one solution.  GM food for regions that cannot otherwise produce enough could alleviate some concerns, surely.  However, the main combatant to Malthusian theory lies in the global distribution of foodstuffs and the incredible wasteful use of foodstuffs that could be more efficiently allocated.

Whether or not GM food should be eaten from a moral perspective is an entirely personal choice and should not be a discussion within this topic - it is a dietary choice that you can either choose to follow or not.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-02-04 03:49:18)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard