Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008 … hshell.oil

Shell set to stir petrol storm with record profits of £13.6bn

https://i26.tinypic.com/9apxso.jpg

Oil group to post highest earnings by a British firm RAC urges the chancellor to cancel rise in fuel duty.

Shell will be at the centre of a political storm this week when it posts profits of almost $27bn (£13.6bn), the highest earnings ever made by a British company.

The record-breaking profits, on the back of soaring oil prices, seem likely to stir fresh allegations of profiteering. The price of petrol has been increasing sharply, rising from 71p a litre five years ago to about 104p a litre today, according to the AA.

Texas-based Exxon Mobil, the world's largest privately-owned oil company, is expected to improve on its own previous record on Friday by reporting earnings of $39.6bn, the biggest annual profits that the US has ever seen.

Kate Gibbs at the Road Haulage Association described Shell's profits as "absolutely scandalous" but reserved her strongest criticism for the chancellor of the exchequer, Alistair Darling, who is planning to add another 2p a litre in fuel duty in April. More than 65% of the cost of unleaded petrol goes to the exchequer in fuel tax and VAT.

"If it is not Shell reporting record figures, it is BP," Gibbs said. "We don't like it but what's the point in criticising? But we have a chancellor who is hellbent on adding to the fuel duty and we are doing all we can to lobby parliament."

The RHA is meeting members of the transport policy committee in Westminster on Wednesday.

The RAC Foundation, a group that champions the interests of motorists, has begun conducting research about the impact of rising petrol prices on car owners and on business and hopes to persuade the chancellor to scrap the latest fuel duty increase.

"The price of petrol at the pump isn't very much to do with the profits of the oil companies - it is the chancellor who is responsible and he is the one person who can do something," said acting director Sheila Rainger.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6415|'Murka

They're evil. Take their money and give it to someone else.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

No wonder the UK went to Iraq.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command
Fuck them, right in the arse.

God, how some of my opinions have changed.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6764|San Antonio, Texas
Yeah gas prices right now = bullshit. I just payed $60 to fill my 20 gallon tank... ( £30.18 for 75.71 liters )
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6342|EsSeX

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Yeah gas prices right now = bullshit. I just payed $60 to fill my 20 gallon tank... ( £30.18 for 75.71 liters )
that made me laugh

its £1.10 ($2.2) a litre here
Hakei
Banned
+295|6000
https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CMnVwsrc-I7kFBDYBRhPMghkeq6UbHdqJA
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6764|San Antonio, Texas

elstonieo wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

that made me laugh

its £1.10 ($2.2) a litre here
Yeah, but I live in Texas, I could probably drill down on my property and find oil...
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6710
Shell fucking sucks.  I knew this girl who had an oldsmobile that would make a racket if you put shell gas in it.  I'm not kidding.  It was fine with any type of gas, but the second you put shell in it, the engine would start making weird noises.  Shell = bad quality gas.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6443|King Of The Islands

I wish our Shell had Optimax. It wouldn't have closed down and the region be monopolised by the one bastard and his shitty fuel.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6516|Gold Coast
Fkn get some other fuel suppliers fuel...forgotten what theyre called but their quality of fuel has better octane etc.
Mobil has pretty good shit.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
madmax
+12|6266|perth, w.a.
haha just filled my car up 55 liters at $1.28 {Au} a liter
JahManRed
wank
+646|6632|IRELAND

Irish cleaned & smuggled Diesel FTW!!! 55L=£20
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX
THIS is why Britain and the US are in Iraq.
So oil companies, Halliburton, Cheney etc can make money.
The cost of extraction is unchanged, the war pushes the sale price up - taxpayers fund the war, companies make the money - capitalism at its best.

Why do people here think Tony Blair just landed a $5m consultancy (ie do nothing) job? Coincidence?
How much do people here think Duhbya will be earning?

Do all the military types here enjoy fighting and dying for this?

It all stinks.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

The cost of extraction is unchanged, the war pushes the sale price up - taxpayers fund the war, companies make the money - capitalism at its best.

Why do people here think Tony Blair just landed a $5m consultancy (ie do nothing) job? Coincidence?

It all stinks.
The Iraq part is not entirely about oil, otherwise, we'd have more stock and it would likely cost less.

btw I thought Shell was Dutch.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6625|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Look, why are these guys making record breaking profits yet the fucking price of petrol is rising so damned high. These guys obviously have so much influence in the government that they get tremendous tax breaks, so the government has to get the money from somewhere. So they raise the price of petrol to ridiculous prices.

These fucking Oil corporations. I can't wait till they die. If someone is going to commit a terrorist attack or fly a A380 into a building. It should be the headquarters of these companies. Fucking bury them once and for all.

I hope they all die in a fire.

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-01-31 04:15:18)

PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6519|montreal, quebec

usmarine wrote:

so did USA. but if you askthem, they went there to take down Saddam Hussein or catch Bin Laden. Oil has no benefit for USA...
herrr_smity
+156|6632|space command ur anus

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

yeah that bullshit, i have to pay at least twice that
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

PvtStPoK wrote:

usmarine wrote:

so did USA. but if you askthem, they went there to take down Saddam Hussein or catch Bin Laden. Oil has no benefit for USA...
I see you missed the point...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560
I don't understand how their profits rose so much just because the price of the commodity rose - the cost of drilling, distilling and transporting didn't fucking change. All oil should be nationalised IMO, why a giganto-corporation should be able to demand such large shares of the actual oil revenue itself is beyond me, not to mention the fact that tightening demand leading to higher prices gives them little incentive to drill much.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-31 11:16:56)

Dersmikner
+147|6503|Texas
Cameron, while you may be right that oil should be nationalized, that's a different debate for a different time and an opinion I can understand even if I don't 100% agree with, when the price of the commodity used to generate fuel goes up the cost of drilling increases (nearly 100% of even semi-remote rigs are run off generators), and the price of transportation obviously goes up as the raw material which has seen a price increase is the very fuel used to transport the end product.

Also, tightening demand wouldn't lead to higher prices if the market were in equilibrium, it would lead to lower prices. Lower supply and lower demand should balance out. The problem is that even though demand shrinks (tightens) the oil companies have an oligopoly and raise or lower prices in unison to protect profits. There is no real competition among them. Were there true competition among the oil companies we'd see significantly lower gasoline prices.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6721

Dilbert_X wrote:

It all stinks.
If we are there for oil... why is oil more expensive now...?  I'm sure you have an amazing answer as usual...lol
Love is the answer
Meiktila
+3|6651|UK

M.O.A.B wrote:

btw I thought Shell was Dutch.
It's a joint UK-Dutch venture, hence the full name Royal Dutch Shell
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6415|'Murka

Mek-Izzle wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Look, why are these guys making record breaking profits yet the fucking price of petrol is rising so damned high. These guys obviously have so much influence in the government that they get tremendous tax breaks, so the government has to get the money from somewhere. So they raise the price of petrol to ridiculous prices.
Then get pissed at the government, not the company.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

These fucking Oil corporations. I can't wait till they die. If someone is going to commit a terrorist attack or fly a A380 into a building. It should be the headquarters of these companies. Fucking bury them once and for all.
You think fuel prices are high now...just wait for that to happen. You haven't seen high prices.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560

Dersmikner wrote:

Cameron, while you may be right that oil should be nationalized, that's a different debate for a different time and an opinion I can understand even if I don't 100% agree with, when the price of the commodity used to generate fuel goes up the cost of drilling increases (nearly 100% of even semi-remote rigs are run off generators), and the price of transportation obviously goes up as the raw material which has seen a price increase is the very fuel used to transport the end product.

Also, tightening demand wouldn't lead to higher prices if the market were in equilibrium, it would lead to lower prices. Lower supply and lower demand should balance out. The problem is that even though demand shrinks (tightens) the oil companies have an oligopoly and raise or lower prices in unison to protect profits. There is no real competition among them. Were there true competition among the oil companies we'd see significantly lower gasoline prices.
I actually meant increased demand. Faux pas on my part.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard