Benzin
+576|6000
So my girlfriend and a friend of mine here are both into Harry Potter. Not like crazy or anything, but just both big fans of the books. My girlfriend just finished the 7th book and convinced me a week and a half ago to go and pick up the 1st book. I had always kind of had an interest in it, but never a motivation. But turns out the libraries here rent books out in English and I had just finished one of my other books before picking this one up ...

Well in a week and a half, I've finished the first two and I am a little over a quarter of the way done with the 3rd. I have to say: I am impressed. Truly impressed. The books are quite good and hard to put down. I've seen all 5 movies before even touching the first book and I will agree: the books are MUCH better and far more entertaining (as is typically the case). Not really childish, either. Okay, the first one is a bit more, but then, that's to be expected. It's about an 11 year old kid.

Anyone else read them?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

read them, <3 them. Although the cultural value of them is disputable, they are pretty entertaining
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

theres not a flame suit on earth that will protect you from this one

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/HarleyQuinneWY6/gif%20stuff/nasty/flame_suit.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
well, they're entertaining, but not 48 hours in line worthy
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland
Read them and love them. Way better than the films.

When your done read "The Northern Lights by Phillup Pullman"

You will thank me when your done lol.
Benzin
+576|6000

max wrote:

read them, <3 them. Although the cultural value of them is disputable, they are pretty entertaining
True. But you're forgetting: this is the 21st century. Since when was a book supposed to have cultural value? I'd be happy if my kid was reading the fucking "Anarchist's Cookbook" or "The Communist Manifesto". At least they're reading.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK
*Gets his copy of the the original Harry Potter book (not even a first edition) which he corrected at speed when he was 11 when he didn't actually even know what proof-reading was*
Oh, yes - so that was why it's terrible! She can't write English that has any value and her publishers can't be bothered to hire any kind of decent proof-reader or copy-editor because people will lap it up for the simple reason that it's "popular"...
I loathe Harry Potter for the degrading of the English language that it represents.

EDIT: But, to her credit, she can present a fair and rather engaging plot. I'd much prefer to be reading the Bartimaeus or Inkheart trilogies, though - please, if you appreciate books, especially fantasy, then go and read these and you will realise how atrocious Harry Potter is.

Last edited by TheDarkRaven (2008-01-29 13:47:04)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
I'm not into that Elf shit
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland

Mek-Izzle wrote:

You mean you don't have the patience to read?
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|5986|Halifax, West Yorkshire
gud books would read again
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6623|Gold coast, Aus.

Mek-Izzle wrote:

However there is certain Elf shit that you are into?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6569|NYC / Hamburg

CapnNismo wrote:

max wrote:

True. But you're forgetting: this is the 21st century. Since when was a book supposed to have cultural value? I'd be happy if my kid was reading the fucking "Anarchist's Cookbook" or "The Communist Manifesto". At least they're reading.
fair enough. I suppose it does serve it's value very well. Kids read something, it's entertaining. Rowling never intended this to be a substitution for Shakespeare.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6491|Gogledd Cymru

Great books tbqfh, The Bourne series of books are better than the films aswell.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

gene_pool wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

No none of that Wizard/Elf shit appeals to me.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6491|Gogledd Cymru

Mek-Izzle wrote:

gene_pool wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Liar!
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland

Mek-Izzle wrote:

gene_pool wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

That's like saying I'm not into that killing people BF2 game because I don't like killing.

The prospect of wizards and elfs are very stupid yeah. But the books are actually epic.

There's a reason they are one of the most famous sets of books ever made.

If you do read books then give them a shot? even if you think Wizards and stuff are gay... like we all did before we read them.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|5986|Halifax, West Yorkshire

Mek-Izzle wrote:

gene_pool wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

https://mooreslore.corante.com/archives/images/Gandalf-thumb.jpg

Last edited by Ollie (2008-01-29 13:48:52)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

I'm not really into the fantasy/sci-fi genre, so I could never really get into the books.  I did read The Hobbit and LOTR when I was much younger, and enjoyed them I guess.  I saw the first Harry Potter movie when it was released over here, and was not a fan.  I guess certain allegorical and/or symbolic instances could prove thought-provoking, but I just can't get into them.
Benzin
+576|6000

The Sheriff wrote:

Great books tbqfh, The Bourne series of books are better than the films aswell.
To be honest, I may have to disagree with you. But only on the contention point that the books and the films are so different you cannot really compare the two. The only thing the two share are the character names and the general premise that in the first installment, Bourne works for the CIA and loses his memory. From there on, they go an entirely different path in character background and development. Not just Bourne, but all the characters. I still have to read the last book. It's on my shelf ... but I got distracted because of a new Legacy of the Force book among others.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

The Sheriff wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

gene_pool wrote:

Liar!
I've always thought Lord of the Rings was stupid. Don't get me started on World of Wankers and Guild Wars and games like Diablo (you know stereotypical games that give games and people who play them a bad image)

"I'm a Level 45 Orc"

wtf m8
avman633
+116|6366
They were good. Didn't read the 7th one though.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Mek-Izzle wrote:

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6553|Scotland

avman633 wrote:

Wut!

How can you do that.

I can't stop reading a crap book either. NEED to find out the ending or it bugs me.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

The ones I read were alright, but they lacked guns and explosions
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

White-Fusion wrote:

avman633 wrote:

Wut!

How can you do that.

I can't stop reading a crap book either. NEED to find out the ending or it bugs me.
You mean you can't guess them? Such books follow a fairly linear and easy to figure out plot - by about half-way a very good approximation of such literature can usually be surmised (and just flick through to the end if it really annoys you).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard