Rizen_Ji
+41|6744|200m out and smiling at you.
Alright so this would be my first guide and probably if not the only guide I will ever make. Any input from you guys would be quite appreciated and any information discrepencies I would like corrected so instead of flaming you could politely tell me. Thank you in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part I. The Basics

+Getting to know your kit+

The Sniper kit consists of a sniper rifle, silenced pistol, knife, grenades, and claymore mines.

So let's take a look at the purpose of each weapon shall we?

Sniper Rifle - Obviously your primary weapon for your job of sniping simply put your a small artillery strike with deadlier precision instead of mindless destruction. There are three basic sniper rifles for the three armies. Note: For you new guys, you can hold down your fire button and you will still stay scoped in the bolt-action rifles, this allows you to see where your shot landed. It is also a nice way to judge bullet-drop for long distant targets.

READ ME PLEASE

PLA - Type 88
USMC - M24 SWS
MEC - SVD Dragunov

The sniper unlockable weapon is the Barrett M95.

Silenced Pistol - Your pistol is going to be your best friend in most encounters. For the most part this will be your close quarters (CQ) weapon. You can also use this to somewhat disguise yourself as not a sniper but more on that later.

Knife - Your knife is your other CQ weapon, best used for ambushes, stealth ninja like kills and overall owning. IMPO the knife will prove to be more useful than your pistol.

Grenades - They're grenades, what more do you want? Little eggs that go boom. Simple as that just toss them at enemies in hard to reach or when they go to cover. Guys please not that grenades do bounce, so think about it your in an alleyway and you know someones around that corner, throw the grenade at the wall and let it bounce INTO the alleyway dead solider.

Claymore mines - Probably one of the most effective weapons and at the same time one of the most controversial. These mines are not anti-material, they are STRICTLY ANTI-INFANTRY. Remember that please before you try to set up those road-side ambushes for that tank you see pulling around the corner. Too many times have I see new guys do this. Also note these are directional mines, the direction you are facing is the where these little guys are going to blow up. They have a decent blast cone, and do a lot of damage in that area. They self detonate when something moves in front of them so, if you want to go killing yourself by all means run in front of it. These mines will be mostly used to cover your flanks, booby trap ladders, vehicles and also save you from being chased by one of those big nasty assault rifles. More on claymore tactics later though.

Part II. Stealth and staying alive

+ Location +
Location is a key aspect of sniping, I would say it counts for at least a good 75% of the job. One thing new people do not understand is that, that rooftop and hill look nice or that crane is up high I can see everyone.

YOU'RE WRONG

BF2 SNIPER RULE #1 - NEVER GO ON ROOFTOPS, HILLS AND CRANES.

The problem with these places is that your in an obvious spot, think about it. You watch all those movies and stuff, where are the snipers? Huh? Where? Duh.... On the rooftops, in the buildings, on the hill, in the tree, etc. Somewhere where they can see everything. The trick is in BF2 people are going to be looking for you there too, because *gasp!* you're not the only one that watches movies! So what do you do? Go somewhere they're not going to look for you.

+How to Hide+
So you're looking for a nice hiding spot eh? Well... For all you whores (jk!) that only play city maps your kinda out of luck. Your going to have to use the terrain to your advantage.

One of the amazing things that the EA development team gave us snipers is *drum roll please!* ... Ok, you can stop now. Ahem. The ghile suit! You know that thing that looks like grass and stuff on you? Well, it is get used to it alright your a walking piece of turf? Whoopdedoo? Yes whoopdedoo. You have the advantage of being able to blend into the grass! Well since we can do that why don't we? In general you want to look for medium to tall height grasses and ones with darker colors.

Here's a story, I was playing on Mashtuur City and at the Power Plant CP, the USMC takes it and this one guy takes out the entire squad except for me, he takes the T-90 MBT I'm on the the side of the CP nearest the bridge and so I go up to the opening in the fence and look straight at the tank and I'm spotted. So what do I do? Run into the shadows and lie down prone in the grass. Needless to say he was quite frustrated since I had dissappeared. He takes a few shots with his 7.62mm cannon and doesn't hit me, and so he decides to pull away for a bit hoping that I'll move so he can get me, and I stay perfectly still while he fires aimlessly. Eventually he decides to pull in and by pure luck finds me and runs me over. But....

The moral of the story is he can't find you if he can't see you. Why couldn't he see me? Cause I'm a patch of Astro Turf with a big ass gun. Now when your looking for a hiding spot another thing you need to keep in mind is that you don't have to be able to see everything to do your job. Just be able to cover this one area and cover it like there's no tomorrow. Your job is an anti-infantry and to spot out enemy vehicles for others in your squad to deal with. So what do you look for in a hiding spot? When there is grass, height and color. The darker the color the better, the taller the better. Remember if you can't see him too well, he can't see you at all. You do sacrifice some vision but you do it to stay alive longer to do your job. In city maps like Karkand your going to have to deal with lack of beautiful grasses and bushes. So what do you use? Objects: barrels, sandbags, destroyed cars, other vehicles, those trees planted by the Karkand city hall to beautify the city. Just peaking your head out is generally not a good idea, since it makes you an easier target to kill for other snipers, remember you're not the only one and a headshot is a kill so peaking your head out just makes their jobs easier.

+Psychology of Hiding+
Well, hiding eh? You think you mastered hiding? Maybe, I think? I have no idea but here are some tips. Now one thing is you must think about how your enemies are thinking to find the perfect hiding spot. Do you think they're going to look for a sniper out in the open? Doubtfully we snipers tend to have a reputation for being the cowardly hiding type. So why not break barriers! Let's go out in the open and shoot them in their faces. Oh, they're kinda too busy looking for the people on the ground in front of them and there's that Tank and APC owning them... HEY! I can climb a roof for once and not be spotted! (Please note the rule is meant to be broken there are times when you can and should break the #1 rule.)

+Cover?+
Well cover is needed for every soldier in the battlefield and for you, well it's kind of a double edged sword. You have one side where you can't see anything and you're going to be ambushed. And there's the other side where you can save your butt. Guys, I'm going to assume you can use some common sense here...

+Not being a Sniper????+
Ya you heard me not being a sniper. One survival tip for you new guys is generally you don't want to look like a sniper. This can be achieved by running around with squads, or even when your moving have your pistol out. This way you're not as noticeable unless they happen to wonder what's the deal with that chia pet running around on my screen... Oh wait that's a sniper *bang* whoops?

+Sneaky weapons eh?+
So you've got some pretty sneaky weapons on your side. The silenced pistol, well that's rather intuitive it's silenced... I wonder why? Your knife the even more silent more deadly killer. What you need to do is learn how to use it to ambush and just keep yourself alive in CQC. Claymores are sneaky really really sneaky... But I'm gonna talk about them in their own little section.

+Being ever so Sneakier+
I would strongly suggest learning when to displace from your little hiding spot. Either because lack of movement through the area or it being compromised by you being spotted before you can spot them. One thing to know is that if you hit someone there's going to be one of three reactions. The "Oh god, there's a sniper! HIDE!!!", the "WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT BASTARD!?" and the "SHIT, HIDE. NOW WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT BASTARD!?". Now these reactions should tell you what to do. Obviously two of those three you need to move, since well they're out for blood now. And when you kill someone MOVE they've pretty much got an idea where you are now and will be back for some revenge so what do you do? Hmmmm? Anyone know?

DISPLACE

There are some that don't and some that do, the snipers that live, DISPLACE after killing because they know better. And those of us who are just stubborn and wanna bleed out as many kills out of a spot as possible.

Part III. Getting to know your Best and only Friend(s)

+The Semi-Auto pals+
There are only two semi-automatic sniper rifles in BF2 and they belong to the PLA and MEC. The Type 88 rifle and SVD Dragunov. As stated by the Wiki, these two are essentially the same weapon with different sight pictures.
Now the thing is preference, and for the most part I know people are too intent on playing city maps and such so they don't really get to know the Type 88, and I find more people have a preference towards the SVD. Well guys... Tough luck IMPO the Type 88 has a better sight picture and less confusing. It is actually more close to the M24 SWS's sights. But enough PLA supremist writings you guys wanna know how to use these guys right?

It takes three body shots to drop a man. One shot to the head will always do someone in. Now the beauty of the semi-auto rifles is that you can fire and you will still stay in sighted mode, you have a 10 round clip and 5 of them. So a good sniper will generally be able to get a good 5 to 7 kills with one clip before running out or having to reload. So you think you can beast on these guys with your semi-automatic pals eh? Well here's some tips before you do. With these rifles you are a short range to medium ranged sniper best suited for close support for squads. You will be on a more mobile role with these rifles as opposed to the bolt-actions. This meaning if one enemy takes up the entire sight when your scoped don't bother with a head shot and just click away and rip 3 shots into this guy's chest. Generally you want to aim for the head with these rifles and always, look for the easiest targets. Enemies going prone for you is pretty much a gift wrapped present under the tree for you on Christmahanakwanza. They're pretty much sticking their face in front of your rifle so why not oblige? Take out the prone targets and then the standing ones if they're still standing that is your squad mates should make quick work of these guys.

+Bolt-Action = PAIN, GREAT PAIN+
There are two bolt-action rifles the M24SWS and the Barrett M95. Both do the same amount of damage same number of rounds in a clip. In practice they're essentially the same rifle however, the numbers tell a different story. The M95 is technically less accurate and actually as accurate as the semi-auto rifles. However... These rifles are still more accurate than any other weapon zoomed so I don't think it really matters... The major major difference between the M24 and M95 other than the controversial accuracy issue is the fact that the M95 can shoot through bullet-proof glass. Another fundamentel difference is the sighting pictures, the M95 does seem to have thicker guiding bars so be warned before you decide to come back and gripe about how you can't hit the side of a tank.

Now it takes 2 shots to kill infantry. And so really after one shot the guy's hanging onto dear life and he's pretty spooked. So in this case IF you miss quickly pull out your pistol and finish the guy off. More often than not however, they will go for the nearest piece of cover they can find. So you can use your grenades if they're within range. Also note that barrels are explosive, and a single shot from the M95 will make these guys go boom, it takes 2 rounds from the M24 to shoot it down.

+ M95 notes, cause it's just that cool +
The M95 is originally designed as an anti-material rifle and that is why EA decided to give these bad boys the ability to shoot through bullet-proof glasses, meaning you can shoot drivers of those stupid HMMWV's, Vodnic's and NJ 2046's. Also you can shoot out jet pilots and helicopter pilots. However, cool this may sound though it does not happen quite often.

You can also do a small amount of damage to all vehicles when you fire your rifle at them. I don't know the exact number of shots it takes to shoot out a vehicle but I know it's not worth your time. But it is an interesting little side note to keep in mind.

+Claymores!+
So Claymore mines, they self-detonate, have a huge blast cone and are meant for infantry. You don't get too many of these little guys (2) so you want to use them sparingly.
One thing people tend to forget is that although it is meant to cover your flank, DON'T USE IT IN FRIENDLY TERRITORY.

BF2 SNIPER RULE #2 - USE CLAYMORES IN ENEMY TERRITORY ONLY

There are also a few other tricks you can use claymores for, and that is to booby trap things. You can booby trap vehicles by either placing them inside them (on the back facing the driver of the transports or around the obvious spots a person would enter the vehicle) You can also use these as a retreating weapon. Most of the time people when they see a sniper will chase and hunt them down because we all know as snipers we're the bane of all the other players in the game's existence. So what do you do? Run the corner and drop a claymore so when he goes to turn the corner to find you, he gets a face full of shrapnel instead. The most common usage for claymores I find is to booby trap ladders, since for the most part you will not be able to see it until it's too late.
READ ME, the guys at BF2 secrets do a good job on Claymore tactics

Part IV. So you think you're ready?

+Your role as a squad member+
Well, as I said depending on your rifle will depend on how far you are behind the group. Generally also you don't want to be with the group nessecarily, you would want to be far away from the action but close enough to make a difference. Your first and foremost job is to relay information to the squad either over VOIP or simply spotting threats before hand. Just know an alert squad is a living one.
+As a squad leader?+
Well, I've done quite a bit of squad leading and I can say my squad members are quite happy that they can spawn when they need to. Generally you're removed from the main conflict and hiding somewhere readily accessible to the main battle. So sniper squad leaders aren't too bad of a choice just stay aware that your spawning squad mates will compromise your position and you should displace afterwards.
+Lone Wolves+
Why the hell are you a lone wolf?! Get your ass in a squad or make one.

Part V. On the issue of Camping
The issue of camping is a problem and yet not. In the case of a sniper I'm referring to whether or not to stay in one place for an extended amount of time. My opinion is it's up to you, to each his own but I can tell you I got my Veteran Sniper by moving and not camping, I find personally that you tend to get a lot more kills on the move than when camping so you might want to keep that in mind.
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6784|Scotland!!!
sure iv seen a guide like that before, very like that
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6735|Debris From Space
"hey, thanks"
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

" You Got It"
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
"roger that"
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
"ten-four"

Last edited by idiotofwar (2006-01-01 07:14:53)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

"Sniper!'
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6784|Scotland!!!
"requesting a medic"
Knochenmann_AUT
+1|6734
@ Claymores: they are also effektiv against buggys ands smal jeeps. They dont damage the jeep, but kill al the passangers.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

SAS-Lynx wrote:

"requesting a medic"
"starlight to my location now!/starlight right here!"
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6728|California

"al helabed mousef"
Parambulator
+0|6730
''requesting artillery support over here sir!''
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
"Procede as ordered soldier."
Parambulator
+0|6730
''negative''
tard
I'm a Bitch
+6|6727
"enemy boat spotted"
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6845
I climb the Crane anyway!

Its a game. I want to see spot and shoot at as many guys as I can, I want people to shoot at me.
Especially if there not snipers. I have a better striking distance. Yes, I always check these obvious spots as do we all.
that's the Fun of it. "You know  where I am, come and get me." lol

For some reason it doesn't happen much in BF2 ( probably because the Head shot insta kill is gone )

But in BFV I would usually square off over the same piece of turf against the Same Couple guys

( Commando00000 was one ) It was always a blast.

Ps May I recommend..

When you know you had a Solid hit, The Cross hairs Bloom briefly. Switch to pistol for the finishing blow "Coup Da Grace "

Sorry he said this I just elaborated

Chances are he is so low on health you will do him in 1,2 or 3 shots, It works at Unrealistic distances, but works well and usually faster than the bolt action.
If you are a serious sniper this will save precious ammo Making a pot shot at a Chopper pilot a possibility.
( When you are low on ammo you won't try a Cap a Black hawk pilot will you? its always iffy at best )
also as a Serious Sniper, a trip to a Resupply crate can really blow your cover and be unhealthy in general

Claymores? Usually your own guys try and get up close to see what they smell like, why I have no idea,
Rarely do I use any sorta mine, its just asking  for trouble

A sniper alone should start a Squad.

If you get near an Important Flag ( TV Tower at Sharqi Peninsula ) You can type in team,  "spawn on me at TV Tower," they will

They can spawn on you while hidden, Approach a flag from a  vantage point of good observation.
You get the Resupply and Health when they do ( usually ).

If they blow your cover which some always do. (The RPK gunner who snuggles up to you and bangs away at full auto) Its time to displace anyway.
If you capped a few guys chances are the know where you are and someone is working on their knife badge.
Carefull Constant movement is needed because unless their Commander is some asshole Flying a Gunship or Jet he has probably spotted you for his teammates after a Scan.
Carefull Constant movement is tuff but it allows you to get kills on guys Scouring your old hide with their Knives out.
You also get the Bonus kill of the Hidden Nearby soldier who sneaks back to Recap the flag when the Squad moves on. He ussually is looking in the Direction that they left.

Close Combat as a sniper. Like fixing a Bayonett,  You have made some drastic error. So...
Use your knife and die like a man. Than you can ( while dead ) type in  something like " You puzzy!! Afraid to knife fight ? " and save face.
I prefer for (some reason ) to Right click on grenade and go prone for the Massada effect.
at least it confuses them.
I have accidently deployed clamores in close combat and had the pleasure of seeing kills pop up later.
I ussaully apologize for a " cheap ass kill "
4lter_3go
+1|6754|Leighton Barracks, Germany
"squad leader, UAV is available"
Dr.Red-Eye
fanneh
+64|6702|Ireland
LMFAO "enemy ground forces spotted"
Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6749|Vermont
ummmmmmm.......it's a decent guide I guess.  Looking at your stats though I'm wondering why you aren't better at sniping if you know all these secrets.  I have more kills than you in far less time, a better kpd, and better accuracy with the rifle.  Do you use another account as well?

As for the rule of not going on hills, rooftops, or cranes.......screw that.  I have had great success sniping from rooves, hills, and cranes.  It doesn't matter that people know where I am, that doesn't help them hit me.  If a guy sees me I'm gonna make it my business to shoot him before he can do anything about it.  One thing I do try and do when on a hill or roof is to have some cover to hide behind (i.e. a bush or one of those wierd solar panel type thingys).

Last edited by BiRdMaN829 (2006-01-01 10:45:57)

./KRUX
+1|6745|Austin Texas
Yea higher elevation positions always better, but yea they are obvious. I like the disscussion on the guilie suit. Id say to make a point about hiding thou. You have to remember you never going to be invisible to uav and scans by the commander. SO you must stay moving. Also  not everyone plays with the settings high enough to see all that rich terrian you like to hide in. Do what i did put your settings on low and see what the grass and bushs look like. If you never done this you going to be shocked. On low theres very little grass and shrubs to hide in.

Your concept is accuarate just keep moveing and you can stay alive. On cranes its all about angles. Dont hang off the crane. I see guys half off the roof or cranes all the time. Kinda funny. Good guide thou for your first.
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6786
go squad, go
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
"enemy AA vehicle spotted" <<<<(i dunno why, but the commander sounds awsome when he says that!)
smefeman
+0|6758
cranes have to be the worst spot, honestly as a sniper thats teh first place i check ALWAYS cranes, then rooftops, then hills, then i settle down in my spot.  on a crane a sniper looks like a big fat black blob, YOU STAND OUT DONT LIE TO YOURSELF.  In sharqi i've taken down multiple snipers in the crane with the stock MEC assault and medic guns.  seriously guys.... CRANES ARE BAD
Rizen_Ji
+41|6744|200m out and smiling at you.
i do have my settings on the lowest, and take a look at my spec-ops stats >.<

that would be the reason why most of my things are terrible. As for the deaths? I have to say just starting I thought it'd be cool to play sniper so that racked me up about.... 20 kills to 1 death in the beginning? So ya... I'm working on it, but I did get my vet sniper about 15 min after I met the time requirement. (btw I met the requirement the day before)

and for the most part you guys all have more play time and more exp than me so that's another reason why i suck major at this game.

Last edited by Rizen_Ji (2006-01-01 12:40:10)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6845
One more thing, Spot spot Spot

I meant 3 more things.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard