Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6838|Espoo, Finland
Wow. Heard about this but didn't realize that they lost power and all electronics too!
That's pretty damn bad. Lucky for them that they were already so close on aproach. You can only imagine that kind of thing happening over a city, sea or mountains.

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Pilot deserves a fucking medal. Seriously.
It's what they are trained for and the main reason they sit in the cockpit.
Most of their training after they get their pilots licence and type licence is emergency situations.

Still, he did a great job, can't deny it.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6824|UK

justice wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Damn, that happened on an Airbus a while back.  I have to search, but do not think it ever happened on a trip 7.
Yeah first time on a trip, happened on an a330 air transat a few years back....the pilot glided it over half the atlantic and landed it, amazingly (though the fuel loss was his fault in the first place) .
You can't really glide a jet, can you? I was under the impression from my limited knowledge of aerospace/physics jiggery pokery that you need thrust to keep it in the air and moving forward.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6838|Espoo, Finland

justice wrote:

I think the aircraft almost definately ran out of fuel, resulting in a power loss in the final seconds before touch down. I say this because the majority of the undercrriage was ripped off and the aircraft dragged along the ground, yet no fire or even a sign of fuel leaking.

How it lost the fuel remains to be seen (if indeed it did run out).

Well done to the pilot, the failiure occured on final approach and how he reacted quick enough to

a) Raise the aircrafts nose and get it over the A30 and then

b) get it down safely, is outstanding.

If he hadn't this could have been fatal.

Glad no one was hurt.
It's a possibility. I know there have been 'close calls' with fuel calculations (Done by pilots while they plan the route. They are very much qualified for it though). I still highly doubt it, they always take enough fuel for multiple go arounds and possible other delays. And they would have told the air traffic control if they were running low.

There are tanks in other parts of the plane as well besides the hull. The wings carry a major amount of it too. And the plane landed on relatively soft soil compared to the runway for example so it could prevent fires. Only in the movies there is always an explosion

Edit: Disgussed it a bit with my dad and this really seems REALLY weird. They had a 8-10h flight behind them and in the last minute they lost both engines. Now, the likelyhood of both engines failing at the same time is so small* that the reason has to be somewhere else. Possibly faulty fuel gauges or something. The pilots would not have taken off with too little fuel and they would definately had done something if they noticed they were running out, they would have landed in Amsterdam or another airport in their route.

*The plane is considered safe because of the minimal change of both engines failing. The plane can fly just fine with one engine, twin engine passenger jets actually have twice the power they would need for this reason.

Last edited by Gawwad (2008-01-17 13:44:12)

justice
OctoPoster
+978|6894|OctoLand

m3thod wrote:

justice wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Damn, that happened on an Airbus a while back.  I have to search, but do not think it ever happened on a trip 7.
Yeah first time on a trip, happened on an a330 air transat a few years back....the pilot glided it over half the atlantic and landed it, amazingly (though the fuel loss was his fault in the first place) .
You can't really glide a jet, can you? I was under the impression from my limited knowledge of aerospace/physics jiggery pokery that you need thrust to keep it in the air and moving forward.
Well, I don't know the exact science....but when your 38,000 ft in the air at such speed, you can stay up for quite a while, with the assistance of this instrument that deploys underneath the aircraft which spins and generates some energy (like a windmill)...he only just managed to reach a small bunch a islands and land.
I know fucking karate
mikkel
+383|6754

justice wrote:

m3thod wrote:

justice wrote:

Well, I don't know the exact science....but when your 38,000 ft in the air at such speed, you can stay up for quite a while, with the assistance of this instrument that deploys underneath the aircraft which spins and generates some energy (like a windmill)...he only just managed to reach a small bunch a islands and land.
Yeah, you obviously can't sustain flight, but you can optimise your headings and attitude to get surprisingly far. The plane landed on the Azores, and it ran out of fuel due to a unit conversion mistake, if I remember correctly.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6838|Espoo, Finland

justice wrote:

m3thod wrote:

justice wrote:

That instrument generates emergency power for the hydraulics.
Without them, you can't do anything on a plane of that size.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6896|Reality

mikkel wrote:

justice wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Yeah, you obviously can't sustain flight, but you can optimise your headings and attitude to get surprisingly far. The plane landed on the Azores, and it ran out of fuel due to a unit conversion mistake, if I remember correctly.
You remember wrong.

The fuel conversion problem was an Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel and had to land on an old airforce runway turned into a Go-Kart track. The 767 was the first aircraft type for the company to use metric kilograms instead of imperial gallons. Oops.
The pilot, also happened to be a glider pilot, managed to sideslip the aircraft and land. Without the sideslip maneuver it is likely the plane would have crashed. For those to that do not know what that is: it is a way to rapidly lose altitude without increasing your speed. You bank the wings in one direction but turn the rudder in the other direction. You end up flying sideways.

The Azores flight was initially a mechanical malfunction of the fuel lines. Some dufus installed the wrong part and it vibrated against something and ruptured. The pilot's mistake was not noticing this and transferring fuel from the unaffected tank thus emptying all his tanks and he also had to glide. Another Canadian pilot btw.

Today's passenger jets have vastly improved glide ratios compared to 747 and older aircraft. Which explains their better fuel economy.

The windmill thing is called a ram air turbine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine

Last edited by Stubbee (2008-01-17 15:39:30)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Skorpy-chan
+127|6498|Twyford, UK

m3thod wrote:

justice wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

You do. However, in an aircraft, you can exchange altitude for forward airspeed. At general cruise altitudes with a nice stable reasonably low-drag airliner, you can glide for a shockingly long time. And thanks to WW2, there are airports everywhere, so one's generally not far off for an emergency touchdown.

There's a multitude of stories about that, including the 747 that lost power going through the plume of a volcano and restarted the engines a while later once the gunk had come out the intakes.
Dersmikner
+147|6651|Texas
Until you've been in a Russian made YAK-42 Air Cubana on your way from Cuba to Mexico and had the cabin fill up with smoke, you don't know what a shitty aircraft is. I'd fly in a fucking hot air balloon before I'd get in another one of those things.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

CameronPoe wrote:

Didn't take long for this to turn into Europe v America...
Ok, as usual.  However, I have some insight.  After working with Airbus aircraft for over 2 years now, I want Boeing.  The aircraft are way to sensitive and have the stupidest problems that cause delays.  The total support package (TSP) is the worst I have ever seen.  Boeing blows them out of the water in that respect.  The Airbus total support package is a disgrace.  The only reason we purchased Airbuses is because they are hurting so bad right now, we got them at bargain basement prices.

So as you see, I am not comparing crashes and what not.  Simply comparing the business side of both.  And when you do that, you will see Boeing is better.

Although, an Airbus is more fun to fly.
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6483|teh alien spaceshit

Stubbee wrote:

mikkel wrote:

justice wrote:

You remember wrong.

The fuel conversion problem was an Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel and had to land on an old airforce runway turned into a Go-Kart track. The 767 was the first aircraft type for the company to use metric kilograms instead of imperial gallons. Oops.
The pilot, also happened to be a glider pilot, managed to sideslip the aircraft and land. Without the sideslip maneuver it is likely the plane would have crashed. For those to that do not know what that is: it is a way to rapidly lose altitude without increasing your speed. You bank the wings in one direction but turn the rudder in the other direction. You end up flying sideways.

The Azores flight was initially a mechanical malfunction of the fuel lines. Some dufus installed the wrong part and it vibrated against something and ruptured. The pilot's mistake was not noticing this and transferring fuel from the unaffected tank thus emptying all his tanks and he also had to glide. Another Canadian pilot btw.

Today's passenger jets have vastly improved glide ratios compared to 747 and older aircraft. Which explains their better fuel economy.

The windmill thing is called a ram air turbine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine
Yeah.. gliding a fighter is quite easy.. but a civi plane? Damn!!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

Well if anybody has FlightSim X, or knows somebody who has it.  There is a mission in there where you lose your engines and have to choose between two airports, then try to glide it in.
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6661|Bournemouth, South England
Flying is still safer than crossing a road.  I fly UK domestic 8-12 times a month, at various airports.  Worst I've had is loss of cabin pressure (Twice) which was dealt with by the pilots descending below cloud level and slowing down.  Got to destination safely both times.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6838|Espoo, Finland

Penetrator wrote:

Flying is still safer than crossing a road.  I fly UK domestic 8-12 times a month, at various airports.  Worst I've had is loss of cabin pressure (Twice) which was dealt with by the pilots descending below cloud level and slowing down.  Got to destination safely both times.
Twice? Man, that's unlucky!
Dersmikner
+147|6651|Texas
I've run off the runway before after landing. That sucked ass. They made us sit in that damned plane for two hours while some jacked up tow truck that looked like an enormous square lumbered over to us, hooked up to the plane (that took a fucking hour itself) and pushed us onto the runway, then unhooked, hooked back up, and pulled us to the gate. That was the suck.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6894|OctoLand
So more info is starting to come out of this now. everything went smoothly until 2 miles from touchdown at 600 feet. The engines failed to respond to thrust demands 2 miles out (even when the pilots manually used thrust levers), the pilots can not remember if all power was lost because they were so concentrated on landing the thing.

It was in fact the co-pilot who responded fastest, took the controls and got the aircraft down. It's not yet clear if the flight data recorder lost power or recorded all info of the last few miles. Could still have been anything, fuel loss, any number of system failiures...and some people are even suggesting that a mobile phone signal from inside the plane could have interfered with one of the aircrafts systems, stopping the engines responding (though that seems speculative).

Last edited by justice (2008-01-18 10:57:19)

I know fucking karate
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

Did they drop the rat?  Didn't the still have the APU?  Back up batteries?

Also.....There is no way the data recorder could lose power, they have batteries.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2008-01-18 21:37:39)

Skorpy-chan
+127|6498|Twyford, UK

thtthht wrote:

Yeah.. gliding a fighter is quite easy.. but a civil plane? Damn!!
Modern fighters are actually terrible for gliding. The thrust and the computers are the only thing keeping them airborne most of the time. The F-16 can be compared to an old Corvette, which was reputed to be so unstable you could outside a store and it'd be facing the other way when you came back.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6477|New Haven, CT
I was on a plane supposedly target by a bomb, so they had to evacuate us. We got to stand on the tarmac at LAX for four hours

It sucked, although sliding down the slides was fun.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-01-18 23:21:51)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6827|Canberra, AUS

m3thod wrote:

justice wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

No, you can glide a jet a long, long way. I have one incident in mind but I can't name it (memory failure)

Airbuses are fine IMO.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

Spark wrote:

Airbuses are fine IMO
Oh the airplanes are fine, but the company fails.   They do not deliver as promised.  Both in performance and support.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2008-01-19 08:19:57)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6376|Escea

usmarine2005 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Airbuses are fine IMO.[/b]
Oh the airplanes are fine, but the company fails.   They do not deliver as promised.  Both in performance and support.
Are they still having the probs with the A380 deliveries?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

M.O.A.B wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Airbuses are fine IMO
Are they still having the probs with the A380 deliveries?
I don't know.  I cannot keep track of all their problems with that.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6891|The Hague, Netherlands

but remember how Boeing took a huge gamble when introducing the 747... almost went down under back then also if I remember correctly,

not feeling that A380 myself, well maybe if I would fly to New Zealand (if it can go there non stop I don't know)...

anyway, a A380 with 400 seats that would be good, but knowing some airlines they will put you in a sardine can anyway.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

but remember how Boeing took a huge gamble when introducing the 747... almost went down under back then also if I remember correctly,

not feeling that A380 myself, well maybe if I would fly to New Zealand (if it can go there non stop I don't know)...

anyway, a A380 with 400 seats that would be good, but knowing some airlines they will put you in a sardine can anyway.
Yes but Boeing did not have to sell the rest of their aircraft at very very low prices in order to survive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard