Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
I am thinking of purchasing a new video card and was wondering if anyone here has or know about the Geforce 7950 Card.
Before anyone tells me to not waste my money because its AGP, save your breath I just got this computer for $300 and with a new card i am hoping to play bf2 maxed out and crysis on medium at least i hope.

My system specs are:

1500 RAM corsair Ddr2 XMS (will probably purchase an addt'l 1500 for crysis)

160 gb hard drive Hitachi I believe

fatality sound card

lg 196W 19" widescreen monitor

AGP 8x mobo

Pentium 4 3.06 ghz processor

Here is a link for the card i want: http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/lis … Id=1006137

what do you guys think is this a good buy?

will it handle crysis on medium-high graphics?

I am new to computer tech stuff so will appreciate any input on this..
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6521
it might on very low. definitely not medium high
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6715
are you using Visturd or XP Pro?   I have a similar setup and i can play Crysis on low  30fps or medium 15-20fps...
but for BF2... you should be able to crank everything...
Love is the answer
Brasso
+1,549|6630

ig wrote:

it might on very low. definitely not medium high
No way.  Even though it's AGP, that card is still really powerful.  I would say you'll be able to play on Medium.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
im using XP pro....dang how come it can only do low for crysis? what sort of AGP card can i get that will do medium settings on crysis, or is there none?
ig
+1,199|6521

Evilhamburglar wrote:

im using XP pro....dang how come it can only do low for crysis? what sort of AGP card can i get that will do medium settings on crysis, or is there none?
none
i have an 8800gts 320 and i can barely run high
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
i dont know too much about video cards but it is DDR3 and 512MB..everything else seems fast.

cant believe it would be able to handle crysis on medium, can anyone explain the reason for this?
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5980|Toronto
I has that card, but PCI-E. With it, i run BF2 at max, Crysis on high, but again that's with it OC'd and with some tweaks i've done. But go for it, it's a beast of a card.
I like pie.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

TSI wrote:

I has that card, but PCI-E. With it, i run BF2 at max, Crysis on high, but again that's with it OC'd and with some tweaks i've done. But go for it, it's a beast of a card.
I agree, really.  ig, why do you think it's not going to run it on medium, if not high?  that's one hell of a card, even if it is AGP.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
thanx man, Im gona order it right now i just thought i would play it safe and get some good opinions. I dont see how the card wouldnt run crysis at least medium just since i have AGP.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

Evilhamburglar wrote:

thanx man, Im gona order it right now i just thought i would play it safe and get some good opinions. I dont see how the card wouldnt run crysis at least medium just since i have AGP.
tomshardware says it's stronger than a 7900GT, which is a pretty good card.  definitely medium if not high.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html
ReDevilJR
+106|6350
I run the game on medium Full AA etc.. @ 1680 x 1050. Any higher I get lag. This is a very HIGH demanding game.

Also: I run in DX10 mode, 64-bit if that makes any difference to you.

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2008-01-14 18:31:47)

Brasso
+1,549|6630

ReDevilJR wrote:

I run the game on medium Full AA etc.. @ 1680 x 1050. Any higher I get lag. This is a very HIGH demanding game.

Also: I run in DX10 mode, 64-bit if that makes any difference to you.
well the bolded are your problems...

I run it on Medium, 1280x1024, no AA.  I get anywhere from 25-45 FPS, and my rig specs are here: http://xfire.com/profile/haffeysucks/

(at the bottom)

I have a 8600GTS, which is definitely not as good as the card you're getting.
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
well i dont know what to think after reading these customer reviews..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814150223

kind of disheartening but one can hope they have resolved the fan issue

Edit: read a few more and my case has a shitload of fans just like reviewer 4 so i think ill be ok. really appreciate all your help guys..

Last edited by Evilhamburglar (2008-01-14 18:37:35)

Brasso
+1,549|6630

Evilhamburglar wrote:

well i dont know what to think after reading these customer reviews..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814150223

kind of disheartening but one can hope they have resolved the fan issue
I <3 XFX, but maybe the other vendors don't have that problem?

Also, you're probably going to end up wanting to overclock your card and replace the fan with a Zalman VF900 or something similar.
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
well like i said i am new to this, i didnt know other vendors made the same card. i guess ill do some searching!
Brasso
+1,549|6630

Evilhamburglar wrote:

well like i said i am new to this, i didnt know other vendors made the same card. i guess ill do some searching!
Yeah.  Some good vendors: XFX, eVGA, BFG.  Asus is pretty good.
Dragonclaw
+186|6304|Florida
If you really have the money to waste on an AGP graphics card which is fuck useless now then go for it. Save money for a new PC though, yours is shittier than mine, and thats saying alot.
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
i have the money to get a new pc but i just bought this setup for $300 and with this card it appears i can play bf2 on high and crysis on medium.

im reallly considering getting a new mobo after reading these reviews on heat issues with this card..

man thats gona be a pain in the ass.
PEENkiller
+2|6162|Cleveland, Ohio
I have an ATI x1850 pro 512 AGP and a P4 3.0 HT and ran the Crysis demo at Medium to High?
ig
+1,199|6521

haffeysucks wrote:

TSI wrote:

I agree, really.  ig, why do you think it's not going to run it on medium, if not high?  that's one hell of a card, even if it is AGP.
because crysis is horribly made, and my buddy gets 20 fps on very high with the 8800gts g92, and i get like 30 on high with an 8800gts 320mb

how could an agp 7 series perform just as well as a pcie 8 series?
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6138|New Jersey
I had that same exact card - BFG Nvidia 7950GT OC 512MB - but it was the PCI-E version.  It struggled on medium graphics at 1680 x 1050.  There's no way the AGP version would be able to run Crysis on medium settings at a high resolution.  Maybe at 1024 x 768 or something similar, but not 1680 x 1050.
Evilhamburglar
+4|5971
hmm well my monitor is 1440 x900 resolution, think it could handle medium at that res?
aimless
+166|6124|Texas

Evilhamburglar wrote:

hmm well my monitor is 1440 x900 resolution, think it could handle medium at that res?
No.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya
that card would run Crysis on Medium.

Im running a OC'd 1GB 8600 GT and it runs absolutely fine on High

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard