Brasso
+1,549|6640

So....for Christmas I got a Zalman cooler and $1000 to invest in stocks (I get to keep the profits).

What I'm asking you bf2s-ers is:
-What am I looking for in a stock?
-What's a good website for doing research about a stock (I have been using finance.yahoo.com up until now)
-What are some good stocks to invest in currently (I have a load of tech stocks, but I need to diversify; I don't really know any stocks from another category)

These are the stocks I'm going to invest in as of right now:
AAPL
TEX
NVDA
INTC

Pretty short list, I know, so lend me a hand here! 

Edit: Oh, and for you Euros, this is Dow Jones and NASDAQ, sorry!   Although I really would rather be investing in Euros anyway, considering the dollar now...

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-01-14 06:48:23)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6820|Nårvei

If you lack knowledge about the stockmarket dont buy single stocks, go for a fund or similar trhat spreads the risk on several stocks ... imho you should put them in a savingsaccount and await the stockmarket for awhile seing as the market is in a negative trend atm ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Brasso
+1,549|6640

Varegg wrote:

If you lack knowledge about the stockmarket dont buy single stocks, go for a fund or similar trhat spreads the risk on several stocks ... imho you should put them in a savingsaccount and await the stockmarket for awhile seing as the market is in a negative trend atm ...
That's what some people were suggesting to me, but what's the risk there?   Life's too short to not take risks eh?

But yeah I might just put it in a savings account fro the time being.  Although the profit comes painfully slow...
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6532
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.
Buy $1000 worth of oil and keep it for 5 years.

Aye.....
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6760
I would wait untill there is a special offer at Taco Bell, 100 Tacos for $100, then go nuts / Simpsons reference
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6585|London
If you're just starting out I would go for simple (or ordinary) shares

You can't really go too far wrong with shares on a good index as the overall trend is increasing faster than inflation so just spread them out to reduce risk and you're good to go

Last edited by Aries_37 (2008-01-14 07:55:48)

Brasso
+1,549|6640

ig wrote:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/chappelles-show-wu-tang-financial/1203303284

Love all those song references.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6009|...
whatever you do do not put your money in funds that do it all for you imo, all the people I know who did that only lost more money than they actually gained, my mom lost so much money back 20 years she doesn't even want to talk about it.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-01-14 11:16:18)

inane little opines
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6473|Tyne & Wear, England
You should buy stocks in Northern Rock.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6245|United Kingdom

KILLSWITCH wrote:

You should buy stocks in Northern Rock.
That'll rid you of your $1000 in no time
Flex
Flex Appeal
+18|6480|NY
Mutual Fund FTW, I started when I was a young'n and now have 10X the money in my portfolio.... just sucks the market keep going down arggg
Master*
Banned
+416|6504|United States
Save and collect interest if you arent sure about the stock market. You should consult with an accountant or something for help if you arent sure.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6726|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
In all honesty, I'd avoid the stock market right now.  It's just too volatile, especially if you don't have any experience in it.  However, if you're really going to go into it, go with a mutual fund or a utility stock (as in the utilities that you get in your house) since there is a pretty constant demand.

Otherwise, do your research, and be prepared to accept that you might lose some money.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6820|Nårvei

dayarath wrote:

whatever you do do not put your money in funds that do it all for you imo, all the people I know who did that only lost more money than they actually gained, my mom lost so much money back 20 years she doesn't even want to talk about it.
And all the people i know and have read about concludes the opposite

But of course one doesn't just go for any fund, use some time to check the history of the fund to determine how likely it is that your money will multiply.

Best way to save in funds is to save a little each month, this way you get the benefit from both ups and downs in the market ...

No matter what you decide Haffey you have to think of this as a long term investment not expecting a huge profit the first years
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6244|Texas
i recommend first putting you money in a CD with the highest possible interest. You shouldn't fool around with your money with stocks (plus $1000 is useless if you're trying to make any significant money). While your CD is in the bank I suggest playing this: http://www.wallstreetsurvivor.com. It's a fantasy stock market game. You can learn some stuff without risking your money. fool.com is what i use for research.

I've lost $710 on NVDA. AAPL is too expensive. INTC is like NVDA. TEX is fine right now, but i predict a drop.
Dersmikner
+147|6508|Texas
If you're dead set on stocks:

1. Does the company either (a) do something that nobody else does, or (b) do it so much better than everyone else that they're the clear leader? So you're talking technology that is proprietary (iPod for Apple, or Google, or some shit like that), or category killer (WalMart, Coke, Pepsi, Home Depot, et al)

2. Are they priced fairly? In the long run it's all about capital appreciation, through equity or dividends, so your question is "if I get a dividend what will my total take be, principal and interest, after X years, and if I buy a stock that pays no dividend and they reinvest their profits what will the total value of my principal be by then?"  (edit for spelling because I wasn't paying attention)

Better explanation of that deal:

You buy OldCo at 100/share and they pay a $5 a year dividend. At the end of the year you have $100 in stock and $5 in cash. That's $105 total. Google is paying no dividend so you're banking that they reinvest whatever profits they get and when it's all said and done the shares (which you bought at 100 for the sake of comparison) are worth the initial investment plus the increased value because they've plowed their earnings back into the company, and/or increased revenue or whatever. Hopefully more than $105 a share.

That's where we get to something called a P/E ratio. Price to Earnings ratio. If it's very high, that means that the stock is "expensive" and you're going to have to get one hell of an increase in revenue to earn back the premium you're paying.

3. Is there a reasonable expectation that new businesses won't adversely affect your company? If you own a drug company stock that makes a cure for the symptoms of some disease, and there are 10 companies that have a drug at FDA approval level for a cure, stay away. Do you want to buy a company that relies on one thing, say some microchip expansion, when it's possible that in the next 2 years the whole thing may go in the shitter because the new chips don't need the expansion?

4. Is there room to grow? If you buy WalMart today, how much can WalMart grow? A lot? Maybe, depends on whether or not you think there will be WalMarts all over Europe and Asia one day. You DON'T want to buy a company that has hit the end of its growth.

5. Make sure it's an industry and a company YOU KNOW. Say you play online games all the f-ing time, and that's what you know. If you see a company that has a cool game coming out, and you know that they are rumored to have 10 more cool ones coming, that's something you know. After vetting companies based on what you know, then go to the financials, then look at the P/E, etc., and narrow from there. Maybe you're a skateboarder and you know that Skatemagic has the hottest new trucks and a new way to make boards. Start there, do your homework on the money side of things and the price, and see what comes of it. Don't just pick a stock based on wow factor or anything else if you don't know the industry cold and the company and who runs it.

The truth is there are a million things to consider and a million wrong answers. I was a stockbroker for 8 years and you learn new shit every day, even after that long. The only way to go is to buy a company you believe in, in an industry you believe in, at what is a reasonable price, and pay attention to changes in the company and the industry.

Remember, stocks are just paper representations of the company. If it's a good company, doing good things and earning a good profit in a stable industry, then the stock will eventually be a winner.

Last edited by Dersmikner (2008-01-14 14:26:30)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Take your money out of T-bills and put it into---*thwack*--- WAFFLES, TASTY WAFFLES WITH LOTS OF SYRUP! WAFFLES! BUY WAFFLES!
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6730|California

Asian markets are the way to go, tbh. I bought 100 shares of a Chinese investment company some years ago, and the price as grown exponentially so far. I have nearly $8500 off just those 100 shares.
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

sometimes, its all about the calls and puts

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard