Brutal Patches27%27% - 56
Hackers17%17% - 36
Total: 202
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6489|meh-land

AnaalDuck wrote:

Infantry Only
in case you never noticed infantry only really caused a surge in the number of competative teams playing...

and many more people started playing

IO didn't kill it, it helped the game up and EA hoped they could cover up 1.3 with infantry only
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6668|can

Blehm98 wrote:

AnaalDuck wrote:

Infantry Only
in case you never noticed infantry only really caused a surge in the number of competative teams playing...

and many more people started playing

IO didn't kill it, it helped the game up and EA hoped they could cover up 1.3 with infantry only
But it killed 8v8. ;(
IrishWind
+4|6736
Patches.  Every patch needed a new patch to fix the problem the new patch caused.

I think the community is the bigger problems.  Servers now focus on a map or two, are IO, and/or have more stupid rules than you can shake a dead cat at.  Nothing says lame like getting kicked for placing a claymore in a alley between two flags, and getting the easy kill.  (after getting back in) Why did I get kicked?  "No clays in streets'  Why? "Clays are lame"  So are admins who can't handel being a loser. [KICK]

I would love to go back to patch 1.12, or try 1.21.  Be able to play for a few hours and not see the same two maps.  And play BF2 as EA/DICE intended it to be played.
0akleaves
+183|6639|Newcastle UK
its not dead
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|6000|England

Me
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6743|Riva, MD
I believe it is a combination of age and newer games; the infantry only option can get old after a while so I would attribute that to age; patches really shouldn't effect the life of BF2 that much, though on a sidenote I think it is ridiculous that they took out the ultra high quality mode instead of taking the time to fully implement it by simply giving names to the options and integrating them all the way into the game; lastly, there appears to be a very minimal amount of hackers in BF2, and if by hackers you mean people that tweak their config file settings, then that is perfectly legal and fine by me, that cannot really be considered a hack anyway.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6506|Somewhere else

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Nothing. I can still play it.
Pretty much.  The nerfing through patches was frustrating.  The occasional hackers are annoying,  Newer games offer alot of new concepts, and as time goes by EA/Gamespy/ etc. don't seem to care quite as much.

However, nothing KILLED BF2, Still a damn good game.
Kurse
The Black Wizards
+16|6759|California
It didn't receive the polishing it should have while it was in development. I wouldn't say it was killed, but that a combination of a horrible initial netcode combined with patches that made it even worse damaged the longevity the game should have had. BF2 is a great game, but it definitely could have been a lot better to begin with.
t0mhank5
+319|6738|Surge
I put the patches, but i dont consider it dead...
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6665|Montreal, Qc, Canada
No patch after 1.41
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6812|Bulgaria
BF2 is still among the most popular on-line games!! It is far from dead!!
*=]AD[=*Pro_NL
+77|6655|The Netherlands
all the bullcrap around the game, just play and have fun....
Jlspence
+4|6692
I looked at game-monitor.com the other day and the only game I saw with more players than BF2 (at 2.5 years old) was CoD4.  Everything else (TF2, Quake Wars, 2142, Crysis) was way behind BF2 in player count.  BF2 isn't dead by any means.
jord
+2,382|6704|The North, beyond the wall.
I did. With ma COD4 and CSS propaganda.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6174|San Antonio, Texas

jord wrote:

Morning Comrade Yuri. -o.o-
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6438|Belgium

jord wrote:

Oh my god, they killed Battlefield 2!
AchangelTyreal
360 owns my soul
+31|6535|Behind You
So long as there is a server for bf2, it is not dead.  People still play 1942 and BFV, bf2 isn't dead, it's not as popular as it once was, but it's a hell of a long way from dead.  If you guys would just stop with these bullshit BF2 (s) is DYING!!!!!!!!!!! threads, it would be appreciated.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6471|The Land of Scott Walker
Null.  It's still alive and kicking, plenty of servers out there, especially with SF included.
Chullster
I'm dead? I'm shit, I'm leaving.
+28|6451|My gaff
BF2 is still the best out there. Newer games look and/or sound better, but that's about it.

IO is good for people who like it, and when I feel the need to walk for a while.

Vehicles are great, lots of variety and small differences to learn about, they also have a learning curve which is nice.

Up to 64 players? not many other games running that right now, nice big maps in different terrains suiting different vehicles and tactics? Not seen too many competitors there either.

There's stuff available after a period of time played? it records all ranked games with lots of detailed stats? you can play back the rounds and make good/shit movies too?

Every game or piece of software has bugs, BF2 is no different.

Noobs? bring 'em on! who the hell is going to keep filling the servers or capping flags while I'm flying or driving my tank/AA? To make a meat grinder, you need meat, and I was a BF2 noob by definition when I first started, and I was that meat. Still am some times, and there's nothing as pleasing as getting a compliment from someone who you've just helped, so I like new and experienced players alike.

Nerfed Blackhawks? are you kidding? the BH are way overpowered compared to the other transport choppers, again the map and the situation: Songhua Stalemate, lots of APC's with multiple occupants, and a potential 4 mini-guns flying around to eat 'em up. The other two choppers can't  damage APC's or mobile AA, I even tried whoring for kills in a BH on Ghost Town and got a bagful.

Stats didn't kill it for me, they're probably the main reason to play for so long, just to give yourself something to do other than the same old thing each round, eg I'm trying to work on the frag rate of my worst handheld weapon; the shotgun. I suck at 0.49, or I did until I spent some time doing nothing but handing out the good news with a 12 gauge. Now it's 0.52 such a small, but big, achievement. For me anyway

BF2 is not dead until BF3 has it's first ranked server go on line.
dont_be_ss
+312|6620|selby, n. yorkshire, UK
1.3 patch with all the server crashes, it was a piss take.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6508|Birmingham UK
its still a great game

-=CB=-krazykarl
not always PWD, but usually.
+95|6562|Carlsbad, CA, USA

not dead.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6711|Espoo, Finland
Patches, definately.

Board footer