ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6639
So... I've been working out a little bit lately (Without weights because I can't afford them) and I do like push-ups in reps of 35-40. What other things would help build muscles? I haven't really done any sit-ups or anything.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

What ever happened to the exercise guides we were promised?
geNius
..!.,
+144|6441|SoCal
Pullups.  Dips.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6644|Camoran's Paradise
Use 30lb + dumbbells and replicate some of the exercises machines in the gym do.

Chest press
Military press
Curl

Google it if you need pictures and other exercises.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6639

Ganko_06 wrote:

Use 30lb + dumbbells and replicate some of the exercises machines in the gym do.

Chest press
Military press
Curl

Google it if you need pictures and other exercises.
I think I might go buy some dumbbells. Got a link to any good ones? That aren't too expensive.
Reciprocity
+721|6580|the dank(super) side of Oregon
pull-ups.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6639

Reciprocity wrote:

pull-ups.
I don't really have anywhere to do pull-ups, unfortunately.
jason85
Banned
+58|5996|Mesa, AZ
calve raises. i love doing those.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6639

jason85 wrote:

calve raises. i love doing those.
How to do you them? Stand on your feet then go up on your tip toes, then back down?
soldevilla13
SuperFly
+21|6720|oregon
aye, something like that, but do them on the stairs holding something heavy above you...

crunches, pushups, full sit ups, leg lifts(back on the ground, keep feet 6 inches off the ground for about a minute a rep), squats with heavy item (remember to keep the back straight), Crunches with feet in the air and weights on the feet... theres a lot you can do, be imaginative, but if it starts to hurt too bad, you should probably back off a little cause you dont want this little fling to end up in $1k in phys therapy bills...
ReTox
+100|6498|State of RETOXification
Squats - Doing squats releases your own "steroids", perfectly safe and a great way to get pumped about working out.  For weight just grab some heavy books (encyclopedias) and hold them against your chest.

Forearm rolls - Take a heavy wrench or something and tie it to a 2' rope.  Tie the other end to a sawed off broom handle or hockey stick.  Hold the hockey stick bit in both hands (either hands under or over) and roll the rope onto the stick.  Don't move your forearms with your elbows, only use your wrists.  Do 100s of these.

Pull-ups - Without a place to do them there is an easy trick.  Find a table that is solid (like a heavy desk) and lay underneath it.  Reach up and use the edge as the bar.  Very slowly pull your torso up to the underside of the desk and then very slowly let it down again.  Only use your arms to do this, no stomach muscles and try to keep your body as rigid and straight as possible.

V Sits - Had to do these for hours in the military.  Sit on the floor, legs straight out in front of you.  Raise your legs up to about 1' off the ground keeping them straight.  Lean back and balance that sitting position.  Hold it for as long as you can then relax.  Do it again and again and again.  They work the lower abs very well.  Hold your arms out straight in front of you for balance.

Crunches - Yes they suck but there is a reason why they work.  Also, you can do your abs everyday, other muscles groups it is best to alternate and never do the same group twice in a row.

Run Stairs - Oddly, this is a great way to get some cardio in, just run up and down stairs as fast as you can (don't skip any).

Jogging - Boring as hell unless you live someplace with a decent outside... city running is brutal to me, better cross country in the fields of rural areas.

Yoga - I'm not shitting you, yoga is fantastic for mobility and flexibility.  Do it for a month and you'll thank me.

I'd recommend looking at at least getting a couple of dumbbells though.  Even 20 pounders would help out hugely.  And don't think you need to start dead lifting 250 lbs, you'll get hurt and any experienced weight lifter will tell you it is more about form than how much you can do.  Having the correct form is absolutely key to good work outs.

Last edited by ReTox (2008-01-04 23:59:53)

Brasso
+1,549|6629

Reps of 35-40?  Damn, that's a lot.  How fast do you pump em out?  If you can't go longer (well, you can always go longer but it's more convenient to...), go faster.  It depends on what you want.  Explosive power or endurance/a toned look?  Triceps, pectoralis, and abs; I would say go for explosive power.   But sit ups will be great for endurance/a toned look.

Generally, I would say you NEED to have:
- pushups (pectoralis, abs, triceps, and some anterior deltoid work)
- situps (abs)
- squats (basically every damn muscle in your body the deadlift doesn't work)
- deadlifts (basically every damn muscle in your body the squat doesn't work)

As you can see, squats and deadlifts are amazing exercises IF you have the proper equipment.  However, like me, you may not.  I usually do pushups, situps, and lunges to work the quads every day.

Edit: How could I forget pull ups?!  (Maybe cause I don't do em..)  Pull ups are great, and I'm pretty sure you have a tree around.  Use that.  They work your latissimus dorsi, biceps, and forearms.  Possibly some deltoid work in there too, I'm not sure.

Ah yes, and squats and deadlifts work your forearms as well.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-01-05 00:35:35)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6525|Milkystania, yurop
Jogging went up 10 kg in muscles

Just go out 2-3 times a week even when it rains
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6549|CH/BR - in UK

I might actually start excercising now

-konfusion
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Burpees. Don't usually need to bother in the on season.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6639

haffeysucks wrote:

Reps of 35-40?  Damn, that's a lot.  How fast do you pump em out?  If you can't go longer (well, you can always go longer but it's more convenient to...), go faster.  It depends on what you want.  Explosive power or endurance/a toned look?  Triceps, pectoralis, and abs; I would say go for explosive power.   But sit ups will be great for endurance/a toned look.

Generally, I would say you NEED to have:
- pushups (pectoralis, abs, triceps, and some anterior deltoid work)
- situps (abs)
- squats (basically every damn muscle in your body the deadlift doesn't work)
- deadlifts (basically every damn muscle in your body the squat doesn't work)

As you can see, squats and deadlifts are amazing exercises IF you have the proper equipment.  However, like me, you may not.  I usually do pushups, situps, and lunges to work the quads every day.

Edit: How could I forget pull ups?!  (Maybe cause I don't do em..)  Pull ups are great, and I'm pretty sure you have a tree around.  Use that.  They work your latissimus dorsi, biceps, and forearms.  Possibly some deltoid work in there too, I'm not sure.

Ah yes, and squats and deadlifts work your forearms as well.
I do my push-ups really slow. I think I'm gonna start doing sit-ups. I'll do those in reps of 30 probably. Yea, I don't have a bar to do squats or deadlift. I wish I did, but I don't =\
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6492|Connecticut
Try to work your tri-ceps. When you work your tri's your chest gets a work out too, but not necessarily the other way around. Pull ups are good, however, it is an isolation excersize. palms facing the bar and you work your back, palms facing you and you work your biceps. If you do not have access to a gym or have a lot of money to spend on equipment, your best way to bulk your chest, tri's, and bi's is to curl. Once again, palms up is biceps and palms down is triceps/ chest. Alternate it. One day do high weight low rep palms down motion. In the same day do high rep low weight palms up. Switch the next work out. It is so CRUCIAL to allow your muscles to rest. Each muscle group should have a 2 day minimum of rest. That is how you build muscle and get bulked up. You tear the muscle by working it and then the rest repairs it and makes it bigger.
Malloy must go
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6164
I do pull-ups every single day
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida

ThaReaper wrote:

So... I've been working out a little bit lately (Without weights because I can't afford them) and I do like push-ups in reps of 35-40. What other things would help build muscles? I haven't really done any sit-ups or anything.
Crunches, Pushups, Pull ups, Squats, Step ups.

Heres a site with like 3000 different exersizes

http://www.shapefit.com/quadriceps-exer … p-ups.html
15 more years! 15 more years!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA
Don't do sit-ups, every time I do them I my abs hurt the next day, stay away from them.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

lowing wrote:

Don't do sit-ups, every time I do them I my abs hurt the next day, stay away from them.
I can do 500 a day and feel like a champ.  You're doing something wrong.

Before anyone asks the abs are not one muscle.  You should work the upper, middle and lower abs using a variety of crunching styles.

Also work your lats, obliques and lower back as they support the abs so you don't overtrain them and end up with a wrestlers beer gut (see Kurt Angle and Hulk Hogan)

Also work in some strengthening your core.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

Before anyone asks the abs are not one muscle.  You should work the upper, middle and lower abs using a variety of crunching styles.

Also work your lats, obliques and lower back as they support the abs so you don't overtrain them and end up with a wrestlers beer gut (see Kurt Angle and Hulk Hogan)

actually, I was just being a smart ass.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6560|Southampton, UK

Magpie wrote:

Jogging went up 10 kg in muscles

Just go out 2-3 times a week even when it rains
Lol.... meant to be impressed?

Ok guys who love fitness (apparently) listen:

Close arm pressups (does Deltoids.... Upper arms for you newfags)
Wide Arm pressups (does Pectorals - Chest)

Leg lifts i found best for abs - (lay down, hands by side, lift legs off straight from floo about 6" - Do as many as poss but dont pull muscle)
Crunches Are also good...

Running - Cardiovascular is brilliant. Just gets oerall fitness good instead of muscle mass.
10 Minute jogs. Not sprinting.

If you want to work on running fitness (after you've jogged for months) do Fartlek training:
Sprint 200m
Jog 1KM
Walk 150m (rest)
Spring 200m
Jog 1KM ... etc.

Change intensity for Overload on fitness. (correct term, not off my head )

Dumbels: Triceps and Biceps (arms). Different techniques for different parts.

Pullups: Probably one of my favourite exercises for muscle mass and fitness. DO THIS ON ANYTHING POSSIBLE.
Try different techinques:

- Pulling up knees to chest at same time arms contract.
- Small contractos - close to bar.
- BEST PULL UP TECHNIQUE: This one actually will kill you, but don't expect to be able to do too many. Full arms length so you are dangling from bar literally, then slowly pull up till your chin is above the bar (dont resit it on it numnuts) then slowly back down till you lose strength and are dangling again.
This is the one that over time will make the massive difference.

If you want to show off doing 1 handed pull ups, before you actually do 1 hand (much more difficult because of body balance):
Hold one hand on te bar and the other holding that hands wrist. Then begin.
Harder, but looks cooler and you can do as many as you want before you go on to solid 1 hand pull ups.

Pretty much that should do whoever doesn't want to pay for Gym.

Lol - only 16 and i know lots
Army College Applicant ftw!

Last edited by naightknifar (2008-01-06 01:37:59)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

...which is unlike you.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6560|Southampton, UK

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

...which is unlike you.
And the lower back's term is "Latissiums Dorsi"....

GCSE PE Pays off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard