jsnipy
+3,276|6541|...

i smell limes and no guardian

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-01-02 16:45:25)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6556|Long Island, New York

PspRpg-7 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Don't respond to it. If you don't admit you did it, there's nothing they can do.

I got a similar letter for downloading MS Office. And I DIDN'T EVEN DOWNLOAD IT! I downloaded the installer but figured I wouldn't go through with it and I'd just get it legally just in case (this was before I knew about/got Open Office). We got a letter and I'm like "hax". Turns out, if you don't reply to them, there's absolutely nothing they can do.
Haha. So it's like stopping for a mall security guard.
One big, fatassed mall security guard, yes.
Mugen
+19|6018
Rapidshare>Torrent.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

My ISP sent me an email after I downloaded Age of Empires III.  Something along the lines of, "Microsoft knows about this, and it's up to them to press charges."  Luckily they didn't, cause that game blew.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Volatile
+252|6723|Sextupling in Empire

haffeysucks wrote:

My ISP sent me an email after I downloaded Age of Empires III.  Something along the lines of, "Microsoft knows about this, and it's up to them to press charges."  Luckily they didn't, cause that game blew.
ROFL

At least you got to play the game. My brother panicked and deleted everything before I could throw it onto a disc. Now I get stress with nothing to show for it.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6757|Toronto | Canada

FFLink13 wrote:

So Rapidshare's safe...

What about stuff like Frostwire?

It's... For a friend...
Is rapidshare completely safe?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6556|Long Island, New York

haffeysucks wrote:

Do you use optimum online? If so, you got the same letter as me.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6474|The edge of sanity
No letters for me. I mostly get underground stuff that has no offilation with the RIAA. Also they cant really track direct downloads as well so I use some of those sources.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6735
In Taiwan, torrents are legal.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6342|New Haven, CT
Asia doesn't count.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6735

nukchebi0 wrote:

Asia doesn't count.
Oh right, since everything is pretty much illegal here lulz.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6342|New Haven, CT
Seriously, yes.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6149|North Tonawanda, NY
When you download via bittorrent, most clients make you upload as well, and I believe that is what gets you into trouble. 

I received two such notices from my university a few years back.  One was a legitimate notice for getting an episode of Sex and the City for my girlfriend, and the other was a bullshit notice from the RIAA for sharing music (which I was very careful to not do).  Luckily, no legal action was taken by either Paramount or the RIAA.  I don't really do that anymore, and I buy things on DVD.  The only things I BitTorrent are TV shows I missed (I don't have DVR).
golgoj4
+51|6793|North Hollywood
uh, learn about new tech before you jump in? a little google goes a long way...
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+686|6309|Washington St.

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I don't get it. Is stealing from your local shop legal there too, because that's what it is essentially.
<SharpShot>
chronic gamer
+17|6338|Canadia
this is why i like in canada
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6848|Denver colorado
I only dl mixes and fan subs.

those are A-Ok.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6735

pirana6 wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

I don't get it. Is stealing from your local shop legal there too, because that's what it is essentially.
It's an Asian thing. Downloading shit is fine, just don't steal the physical stuff.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6301|Pennsyltucky

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Last week I PURCHASED the first season of Stargate Atlantis. I watched it, thought it was worth my time to watch the rest of what was available. I then went on ebay and purchased the 2nd and 3rd season(basically all that is out right now for purchase). I figured, "Fuck, I might as well get fully caught up to speed and get the episodes that were recently aired - SINCE I JUST PAID FOR ALL THIS OTHER SHIT!!!!!".

So I head over to my brothers house and download the stuff that has recently aired.

10 hours later my brother gets an email from his ISP saying that they've been contacted by MGM about possible illegal downloads, and that he has to delete all files and send them an email back stating what he has done to remedy the situation, or they're shutting down his fucking internet!! The email also eludes to the possibility that MGM may take court action against this offense.

So I'm assuming that MGM is setting up PCs with torrent programs/files to attain IP addresses, after which they contact the ISP and threaten a lawsuit.

Anyone else run into this shit yet?

Oh, and those that want to flame me for using torrents, I bought whatever was physically available, so STFU.
You knowingly committed a crime, then get upset because your brother might be charged as an accessory ?

Lulz, just lulz.

I'm going to go down to the Pontiac dealer and steal a new GTO - After all I bought a Bonneville, a Grand Am and a Grand Prix ALREADY !

Last edited by T.Pike (2008-01-03 01:01:00)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6175|Vancouver | Canada

T.Pike wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Last week I PURCHASED the first season of Stargate Atlantis. I watched it, thought it was worth my time to watch the rest of what was available. I then went on ebay and purchased the 2nd and 3rd season(basically all that is out right now for purchase). I figured, "Fuck, I might as well get fully caught up to speed and get the episodes that were recently aired - SINCE I JUST PAID FOR ALL THIS OTHER SHIT!!!!!".

So I head over to my brothers house and download the stuff that has recently aired.

10 hours later my brother gets an email from his ISP saying that they've been contacted by MGM about possible illegal downloads, and that he has to delete all files and send them an email back stating what he has done to remedy the situation, or they're shutting down his fucking internet!! The email also eludes to the possibility that MGM may take court action against this offense.

So I'm assuming that MGM is setting up PCs with torrent programs/files to attain IP addresses, after which they contact the ISP and threaten a lawsuit.

Anyone else run into this shit yet?

Oh, and those that want to flame me for using torrents, I bought whatever was physically available, so STFU.
You knowingly committed a crime, then get upset because your brother might be charged as an accessory ?

Lulz, just lulz.

I'm going to go down to the Pontiac dealer and steal a new GTO - After all I bought a Bonneville, a Grand Am and a Grand Prix ALREADY !
You big picture people are annoying.

I'd download a bunch of shit just to spite you guys.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2008-01-03 01:25:30)

wensleydale8
+81|6788|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
ive never heard anything from my ISP depite DLing over 15GB of films and TV
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6586|NYC / Hamburg

FFLink13 wrote:

So Rapidshare's safe...

It's... For a friend...
Rapidshare is pretty safe, frostwire is like putting a huge red ballon over your house with "I download CP and music" written all over it

wensleydale8 wrote:

only? I have close to 2.5TB of downloaded stuff back at my place
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6505|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Mugen wrote:

Rapidshare>Torrent.
I have 2 RS accounts and there constantly at there limits. Never had 1 email/letter from my ISP yet.
Megalomaniac
Formerly known as Missionless
+92|6346|105 RVK
I've filled my hard disk with TV episodes; dexter, heroes, family guy, american dad and loads of movies, songs and games and no emails for me

But I don't use BitTorrent.

Last edited by Missionless (2008-01-03 04:29:44)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6709|Devon, England

max wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

So Rapidshare's safe...

It's... For a friend...
Rapidshare is pretty safe, frostwire is like putting a huge red ballon over your house with "I download CP and music" written all over it

wensleydale8 wrote:

only? I have close to 2.5TB of downloaded stuff back at my place
Ok, cheers

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard