geNius
..!.,
+144|6463|SoCal

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

Automatic transmissions shit faster than any human.  The fastest cars in the world are not manual, and manual is completely unnecessary for trucks and any form of offroading.  Manual may be more fun to drive, but it's generally the underpowered who consider the extra weight, from an automatic transmission, to be an issue.
please tell me why the fuck all race cars are manuals? do you even know wtf you're talking about? the fastes cars in the world aren't manual. pass whatever you're smoking over here dude
NHRA = automatic.
SCORE = automatic.

Those paddle shifters you see tapping away in F1 and at Indy?  Clutchless.  Not manual.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6307|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

ig wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

geNius wrote:

Automatic transmissions shit faster than any human.  The fastest cars in the world are not manual, and manual is completely unnecessary for trucks and any form of offroading.  Manual may be more fun to drive, but it's generally the underpowered who consider the extra weight, from an automatic transmission, to be an issue.
Bye bye credability

Shift faster than any human you say?? riiiight...

Fastest cars in the world are not manual ? please explain sir ?
and don't give me the bugatti veyron/Mac-Merc excuse because those cars are made for comfort just as much as for performance....

extra weight in manual you say? (or did i understand that wrong?) ...... an automatic is the same as a manual except for the extra weight of the electrical engine doing the shifting in the auto....

Shifting can be done WAY faster manually, that is why you have manual shifting in racing cars such as WRC cars....

The F1 transmission is not automatic, it is paddle shift where the driver decides when the shifting takes place...

and one more thing: you try engine breaking with an auto gearbox... oh wait... you cant
/thread
/off-topic *

Sry ig but the thread is about engines

Last edited by FloppY_ (2007-12-25 13:59:46)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6543

geNius wrote:

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

please tell me why the fuck all race cars are manuals? do you even know wtf you're talking about? the fastes cars in the world aren't manual. pass whatever you're smoking over here dude
NHRA = automatic.
SCORE = automatic.

Those paddle shifters you see tapping away in F1 and at Indy?  Clutchless.  Not manual.
zomg drag racing... i dont know what score is, nor do i care. face it, what you said was wrong. just admit it. come on, do it. it's ok. do it. doit
https://www.spideysenses.com/wp-content/Picture%2013.png

FloppY_ wrote:

/off-topic *

Sry ig but the thread is about engines
lol wut

Last edited by ig (2007-12-25 14:03:40)

FloppY_
­

geNius wrote:

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

NHRA = automatic.
SCORE = automatic.

The automatic gearboxes in Drag-racing is more likely there for the sake of the drivers,, they have enough to do with keeping the car on the track...

SCORE racing i believe is for the same reason...

but tbh F1 paddles are not auto either...

Tbh americans fail at making and racing cars
All you do is go in a straight line pffft....
aimless
+166|6146|Texas
You try launching a car off the starting line with an automatic transmission. They are too slow and shift too early to get any performance out of them.
FloppY_
­

aimless wrote:

You try launching a car off the starting line with an automatic transmission. They are too slow and shift too early to get any performance out of them.
QFT + end of discussion
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6543

aimless wrote:

butt hiz naem iz geNiuz
FloppY_
­

ig wrote:

aimless wrote:

butt hiz naem iz geNiuz
https://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/128340438109062500whyihaztohol.jpg
BlackKoala
+215|6346

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, they are manual due to the insane wear that is thrown onto the clutch plates at those torque numbers.  Every time a shift is thrown, the clutch packs launch ..(out?) and engage, and repeat that as necessary as you accelerate/decelerate.  Manual boxes give you more control of the shift points, and allow for more overall control of the top end of the car, but by no means can one slam the clutch and shift a gear faster than it takes a clutch pack to fully engage.  (No expert, but I can't be too far off)

aimless wrote:

o hai mr transbrake
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6358

BlackKoala wrote:

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, they are manual due to the insane wear that is thrown onto the clutch plates at those torque numbers.  Every time a shift is thrown, the clutch packs launch ..(out?) and engage, and repeat that as necessary as you accelerate/decelerate.  Manual boxes give you more control of the shift points, and allow for more overall control of the top end of the car, but by no means can one slam the clutch and shift a gear faster than it takes a clutch pack to fully engage.  (No expert, but I can't be too far off)

aimless wrote:

o hai mr transbrake
transbrake's are flipping awesome.

auto tranny is a lot easier to tune these days on GM cars and trucks. hp tuners lets you chose how to shift and when. can even put in a corvette servo so when it shifts from first to second the tires will spin if your giving it enough gas and you have enough power.

like i said manual cars are better, not manual trucks.

Acrnstlkr wrote:

ya better get another gas tank too! i have a 6.0 in my truck and i get about 9-13 mpg. costs me about 65 dollars to fill er up.
i guess if ya are late to work ya dont worry about power. and the heater is awsome compaired to the v-6 too! if ya live were its cold.
i should be getting about 17-19 mpg. a friend did the same swap but his truck was running about 11 sec in the 1/4 mile so he had around 600+ hp an got 20mpg

i live in round rock but drive into down town for work an school i 35 traffic ftl
aimless
+166|6146|Texas

BlackKoala wrote:

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

aimless wrote:

o hai mr transbrake
I've never heard of that before, but how many production vehicles come with them?
BlackKoala
+215|6346

aimless wrote:

I've never heard of that before, but how many production vehicles come with them?
None that I'm aware of, but it's only a $100 part, which isn't bad.

If you wanna see what they do, here.
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6358
they dont come stock on trannys. you do have to install them your self. and don't do it to a weak tranny or it will bust the gears
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6521|so randum
Isn't this a bit like the "Launch Control" system some top end BMW's have?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6358
transbrake basically works like this.

you press the button and it activates the solenoid so it locks up your drive and revers gears. you give it gas wait for the light to turn green let off the button punch it and it slams it into gear with out you having to shift or use the brakes.

i never have seen the bmw launch control how does that work
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6757|Salt Lake City

You guys that think a manual can be shifted faster than an auto trans are complete retards and know about jack shit when it comes to cars.  Luxury cars have softer shifting for comfort.  However, you can tune a transmission to shift differently.  A simple shift kit can make the shifting faster than the factory settings.  An automatic transmission that is fitted and tuned for performance can shift in a few milliseconds.  No human can do that with a manual transmission.

As for control over when the shift happens, you can do that with autos as well.  They make racing shifters that actually lock for each shift.  You start out in low and when you are ready to shift you can just punch the shifter and it only goes up one gear.  When you want to shift again you just punch the shifter and up one more gear it goes.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6757|Salt Lake City

Oh, and Jet, it's a good thing you guys don't get snow in Austin.  A two wheel drive truck with that much power would only be good for doing doughnuts around my neck of the woods. 
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6410
Agent Dung Bomb, agreed.

The shifters you speak of are commonly called ratchet shifters.

As far as speed goes, its all about how the transmission is built and setup. Factory automatic transmission are set for a smooth shift, shift kits and other modifications make a huge difference is automatic transmission performance. A properly setup automatic transmission can shift faster than a manual transmission and a lot harder too.

I prefer manual transmissions because they usually last longer and have less issues. Also they are usually cheaper to rebuild or replace.

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2007-12-26 12:16:06)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6358
even right now my truck doesn't get any traction on a wet surface so i can't wait to have 2x the power with no traction in the rain
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6850|Grapevine, TX

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

Ill take what ever you're smoking too... puff puff give     Ill answer all of this below, this is going to be fun...

FloppY_ wrote:

geNius wrote:

Bye bye credability

and don't give me the bugatti veyron/Mac-Merc excuse because those cars are made for comfort just as much as for performance....

extra weight in manual you say? (or did i understand that wrong?) ...... an automatic is the same as a manual except for the extra weight of the electrical engine doing the shifting in the auto....

Shifting can be done WAY faster manually, that is why you have manual shifting in racing cars such as WRC cars....

The F1 transmission is not automatic, it is paddle shift where the driver decides when the shifting takes place...

and one more thing: you try engine breaking with an auto gearbox... oh wait... you cant
Floppy,geNius, & ig:
d00dz. You (floppy)preemptively lost all credibility after you started posting here about your  automotive transmission knowledge.
WRC, F1, Bugatti, Ferrari, Audi, MB, etc all have whats commonly called "semi-automatic transmissions. They are computer controlled, either by "paddle" or (WRC style) stick input. The computer retards the throttle, engages the clutch, switched to the appropriate gear, disengages the clutch and finally goes back to the manual input from the throttle position. So both of you are wrong This all happens between .02 and .80 of a second, depending on the application and the manufacturer.

Automatic transmission always weigh more than a "standard" tranny.

One more thing if you cant break in an engine with an auto-tranny, how in the hell does it? You Drive it!. The transmission has nothing to do with the engine break-in process, other than the fact that it transmits the engine torque to the drive wheels... FFS...

OK, that being said, Im going to go get some popcorn, have a smoke, and refill my drink. This should get interesting
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6358

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

ig wrote:

geNius wrote:

Ill take what ever you're smoking too... puff puff give     Ill answer all of this below, this is going to be fun...

FloppY_ wrote:

geNius wrote:

Bye bye credability

Floppy,geNius, & ig:
d00dz. You (floppy)preemptively lost all credibility after you started posting here about your  automotive transmission knowledge.
WRC, F1, Bugatti, Ferrari, Audi, MB, etc all have whats commonly called "semi-automatic transmissions. They are computer controlled, either by "paddle" or (WRC style) stick input. The computer retards the throttle, engages the clutch, switched to the appropriate gear, disengages the clutch and finally goes back to the manual input from the throttle position. So both of you are wrong This all happens between .02 and .80 of a second, depending on the application and the manufacturer.

Automatic transmission always weigh more than a "standard" tranny.

One more thing if you cant break in an engine with an auto-tranny, how in the hell does it? You Drive it!. The transmission has nothing to do with the engine break-in process, other than the fact that it transmits the engine torque to the drive wheels... FFS...

OK, that being said, Im going to go get some popcorn, have a smoke, and refill my drink. This should get interesting
lol breathe

nicely said
The#1Spot
+105|6561|byah

FatherTed wrote:

Isn't this a bit like the "Launch Control" system some top end BMW's have?
A few exotic cars have them and some luxury sedans. Yea you could say its a cheaper/simpler option to an actual launch control system.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard