Paedophilia - Condition or choice?

Mental Condition57%57% - 89
Choosen path37%37% - 57
Other5%5% - 8
Total: 154
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

So basically, it's a mental condition that causes them to make the choices they make???

Heh, everyone's a winnar in this poll!
Defiance
+438|6671

FEOS wrote:

It is surely a mental condition, but it is also a choice. They choose to act upon urges that clearly are wrong, by any definition and in any society. That is basically what separates us from animals...the ability to make choices against our base instincts. If their base instincts involve violating a child, then they should be able to choose not to act on those instincts. Other, normal, people make those kinds of choices everyday. We can't excuse a pedophile from doing the same.
No, the only "wrong" is governed by the legal system.

Is it wrong to, at the age of 30-40, have sex with a 16 year old girl? Most would say yes, that's what growing up in a typical human society leads us to believe. But really, what's so wrong? The only difference is numerical age, at that point both persons are sexually mature humans procreating to continue the species.

In wonderful old Rome, the age of marriage (read: sex) was 12, then the daughters were married off to older men. I'm certain that counts as a society, though it seems to contradict every society considering such an age difference "wrong."

I'm not advocating rape and child molestation, it's against the law. Doing so could, and probably would, put one behind bars. However, a 40 year old mans urge to screw a hot 17 year old isn't something they can help. It isn't something anyone can help.

The "wrong doing" comes when someone acts upon their thoughts. The thoughts are not wrong, they are one of the few instincts our race as and that is to make more of ourselves.

Have you ever wanted to kill someone? With such a violent urge happening so often, you'd think we'd be killing each other left and right (not exaggerating) but we don't because the normal person can differentiate between wanting to kill someone to outlet their anger and actually killing someone to end up on death row.

There is no choice in it, the only choice is in a healthy person's mind to accept the consequences of their actions. Naturally, people don't do that. The reason pedo's and murderers do what they do is because they are not healthy and it is purely a mental condition with no choice involved.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
There are enough people in the world that we need not allow room for baby rapers.

Put them down like rabid dogs.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Defiance wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It is surely a mental condition, but it is also a choice. They choose to act upon urges that clearly are wrong, by any definition and in any society. That is basically what separates us from animals...the ability to make choices against our base instincts. If their base instincts involve violating a child, then they should be able to choose not to act on those instincts. Other, normal, people make those kinds of choices everyday. We can't excuse a pedophile from doing the same.
No, the only "wrong" is governed by the legal system.

Is it wrong to, at the age of 30-40, have sex with a 16 year old girl? Most would say yes, that's what growing up in a typical human society leads us to believe. But really, what's so wrong? The only difference is numerical age, at that point both persons are sexually mature humans procreating to continue the species.

In wonderful old Rome, the age of marriage (read: sex) was 12, then the daughters were married off to older men. I'm certain that counts as a society, though it seems to contradict every society considering such an age difference "wrong."

I'm not advocating rape and child molestation, it's against the law. Doing so could, and probably would, put one behind bars. However, a 40 year old mans urge to screw a hot 17 year old isn't something they can help. It isn't something anyone can help.

The "wrong doing" comes when someone acts upon their thoughts. The thoughts are not wrong, they are one of the few instincts our race as and that is to make more of ourselves.

Have you ever wanted to kill someone? With such a violent urge happening so often, you'd think we'd be killing each other left and right (not exaggerating) but we don't because the normal person can differentiate between wanting to kill someone to outlet their anger and actually killing someone to end up on death row.

There is no choice in it, the only choice is in a healthy person's mind to accept the consequences of their actions. Naturally, people don't do that. The reason pedo's and murderers do what they do is because they are not healthy and it is purely a mental condition with no choice involved.
If a person it truly unable to control their urges, then they are criminally insane. Are you saying all pedos are criminally insane? The difference would be when the pedo acts on his/her urges, knowing full well that they are wrong. It's kind of like the old saying: crazy people don't wonder if they're crazy...sane people do. If they know what they are doing or want to do is wrong, and they do it anyway, then they are rational enough to accept the consequences. If they don't see anything wrong with what they've done, then they need to be locked up in a treatment facility because they are a nutjob.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Defiance
+438|6671

FEOS wrote:

If a person it truly unable to control their urges, then they are criminally insane. Are you saying all pedos are criminally insane? The difference would be when the pedo acts on his/her urges, knowing full well that they are wrong. It's kind of like the old saying: crazy people don't wonder if they're crazy...sane people do. If they know what they are doing or want to do is wrong, and they do it anyway, then they are rational enough to accept the consequences. If they don't see anything wrong with what they've done, then they need to be locked up in a treatment facility because they are a nutjob.
Yes, all pedos are criminally insane. No random act of violence is committed by a stable minded and consequence accepting person. There is some motive, they either want to masochistically cause harm to another human or want to cause harm to themselves. If that wasn't the motive, then it wasn't a very random act of violence. Either way, that person isn't very sane.

Thanks for bringing up that quote, I don't understand how you link it to this but I like it anyway. It's a nice reassurance that we don't have to worry if we're going crazy or not, we wouldn't know it either way.
mikkel
+383|6601
A persistent attraction. It just happens to be towards kids instead of adults. People obsess over adults and children alike, and people rape adults and children alike. It's just attraction and moral disposition.
Defiance
+438|6671

mikkel wrote:

A persistent attraction. It just happens to be towards kids instead of adults. People obsess over adults and children alike, and people rape adults and children alike. It's just attraction and moral disposition.
Those are just the feelings. Anyone can feel attracted towards anything, but there's something more that causes them to take it further and act on those feelings.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555
Nobody can seriously choose that sexual orientation. Why would one choose such a reviled and unlawful way of life? Mental condition.
mikkel
+383|6601

Defiance wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Those are just the feelings. Anyone can feel attracted towards anything, but there's something more that causes them to take it further and act on those feelings.
Rape isn't really "just the feelings". Rape, and the moral disposition, is that "something more" you're looking for.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6835|Kubra, Damn it!

ATG wrote:

There are enough people in the world that we need not allow room for baby rapers.

Put them down like rabid dogs.
QFE! Sweet and to the point.

Although this IS a mental disorder, I have no sympathy for these people. I have a good friend who's a psychologist. We've discussed a lot of conditions in the past since I'm pretty interested in psychology (it was my declared major the first year or two of shool). Pedophilia is a compulsion that they are not able to stop themselves from doing. I'll try to find statistics somewhere, but my friend told me that nearly all convicted pedos who are released from prison commit new crimes and are sent back to prison. There have even been cases of pedos that have been castrated (this usually deters sex offenders from re-offending) and still go out and molest kids. It's a compulsion they can't stop and there's only one way to stop it.
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
It's just a personal preference. Not all paedophiles are insane, they just like young, supple skin.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone

jord wrote:

It's just a personal preference. Not all paedophiles are insane, they just like young, supple skin.
Avman says hi!
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Restraint and treatment is a choice.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

But why waste tax money?

The one unalterable rule in life should be to protect the children.
The sex crimes against children seem to be the one crime you can't train somebody out of, therefor to those who commit them, they all must die.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

I was not suggesting using taxes. Recognizing your condition/urges before you break the law, getting help, and protecting the innocent is a personal responsibility. Treatment can be a broad solution. If I ever found myself in that position I'd swallow a bullet.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
zeidmaan
+234|6415|Vienna

I think its a mental condition that you are born with. And I agree that many of them just cant help them selves.
A big mistake is to just treat it is a choice and lock pedophiles away for x years. Societies need to accept it for what it is and actually try to solve the problem to protect the kids. No matter how many pedophilees you lock away, more of them will be born. And the ones you locked away will eventualy get out of prison and do it again. Its a problem that needs to be tackeled with brains not emotions. Our kids deserve it from us.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

zeidmaan wrote:

I think its a mental condition that you are born with. And I agree that many of them just cant help them selves.
A big mistake is to just treat it is a choice and lock pedophiles away for x years. Societies need to accept it for what it is and actually try to solve the problem to protect the kids. No matter how many pedophilees you lock away, more of them will be born. And the ones you locked away will eventualy get out of prison and do it again. Its a problem that needs to be tackeled with brains not emotions. Our kids deserve it from us.
Pedophilia is a sickness with no cure. It should be recognized it for what it is, then remove the bastards permanently from society as they are exposed.
mikkel
+383|6601

lowing wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

Pedophilia is a sickness with no cure. It should be recognized it for what it is, then remove the bastards permanently from society as they are exposed.
What, like HIV?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

But why waste tax money?

The one unalterable rule in life should be to protect the children.
The sex crimes against children seem to be the one crime you can't train somebody out of, therefor to those who commit them, they all must die.
Training people out of sex crimes against children is no different to training people out of any other sex crime. It's exactly the same affliction, except that for normal rape the victims are older. I'm sure there are many more people who would like to sexually abuse children, but don't because they have some degree of social responsibility. They might be messed up people, but the have the self control not to act on their sick impulses - it is self control these sick fucks must learn, which can work.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

What, like HIV?
Nope, last I checked, people with HIV were not removed from society, but hey, I have been gone awhile.
mikkel
+383|6601

lowing wrote:

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

What, like HIV?
Nope, last I checked, people with HIV were not removed from society, but hey, I have been gone awhile.
But isn't HIV a sickness with no cure and a potential to harm others, too? In fact, isn't it very likely that the number of people who die as a result of deliberate HIV infections is higher than the number of children who are sexually abused? Why shouldn't the same happen to HIV patients? It's exactly the same premise. HIV patients can either infect others or abstain for the rest of their lives. Paedophiles can either molest children or abstain from sex with minors.

Last edited by mikkel (2007-12-24 14:02:02)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

mikkel wrote:

isn't it very likely that the number of people who die from deliberate HIV infections is higher than the number of children who are sexually abused?
No. It isn't.
mikkel
+383|6601

Bertster7 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

isn't it very likely that the number of people who die from deliberate HIV infections is higher than the number of children who are sexually abused?
No. It isn't.
I'd say that it is, but since neither of us could produce any meaningful numbers, let's just get back to the point. Why one, but not the other?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

mikkel wrote:

What, like HIV?
But isn't HIV a sickness with no cure and a potential to harm others, too? In fact, isn't it very likely that the number of people who die as a result of deliberate HIV infections is higher than the number of children who are sexually abused? Why shouldn't the same happen to HIV patients? It's exactly the same premise. HIV patients can either infect others or abstain for the rest of their lives. Paedophiles can either molest children or abstain from sex with minors.
We don't know exactly how many kids are abused. Children are often embarrassed, scared, and threatened in order to keep them from reporting it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Defiance
+438|6671

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

mikkel wrote:

What, like HIV?
Child molesters by nature are a harm to others. They only are what they are because they've harmed others. An HIV patient is the opposite, more likely then not they are what they are because of an accident or someone hurting them (it's been a while since a deliberate HIV attack). If they get treatment, they can live and possibly (in one case) be pseudo cured. They can still have sex without doing harm, they just have to be very careful.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard