killinzero1
+14|6404
ok right no im getting a high pitch noise. i cannot tell if its my CPU or 1 of my Hard Drives please help thank you

here are my specs

XBlade Case
Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2 With Zalman CNP9500
2GB of Off-Brand Ram
1X 200GB Maxtor * not Plug in at the moment*
2X 250GB SamSung SP2514N
BFG Geforce 7800GS OC *AGP*
X-Fi ExtermeMusic
Vista Ultimate

Last edited by killinzero1 (2007-12-15 13:35:59)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6636|Mhz

If the squealing is permenant you could just pull parts out and turn the system on and see if it stops, if not, it's unlikly to be the HDDs or CPU, sound card or PSU are most likely IMO, maybe graphics or mobo.
']['error
Banned
+630|6660|The Netherlands

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

If the squealing is permenant you could just pull parts out and turn the system on and see if it stops, if not, it's unlikly to be the HDDs or CPU, sound card or PSU are most likely IMO, maybe graphics or mobo.
jep, that would be the only way to find out....
killinzero1
+14|6404
it like comes and goes its not continues
aimless
+166|6141|Texas
HDD? That's the only thing I could think of that would operate in bursts.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6755|Toronto | Canada

I had the same thing before, it ended up being that my graphics card wasn't properly plugged in
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6214|Winland

If it's cheap/old/DDR/cheap old DDR RAM, it could be it. RAM sometimes tends to make some noises due to the huge ammount of electrical changes it goes through. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. If it annoys you, try with other/one stick of RAM. Als, do check that none of the capacitors around the CPU is leaking.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Microwave
_
+515|6671|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Could any small animal have crawled into your case?
Microwave
_
+515|6671|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I think this could be a sensible visualisation of what has happened....

https://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2696/lolmousezw5.jpg
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6407

james@alienware wrote:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2696/lolmousezw5.jpg
Ouch.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6377|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
Maybe your powersupply?
cian1500ww
+8|6015|Ireland
Maybe a capacitor is about to blow ?
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6205|Canada

its a bomb.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6612|Michigan, USA
Chances are its a hardrive.  My main drives squeals at me sometimes, and im well aware its haivng issues, just waiting for mine to fail at the moment.  An easy way to check is to disconnect the hardrive and boot up, itll go to the "select boot device" screen or whatever its called, see if the squealing continues.

If it is indeed your hardrive, Id suggest running the manufactuers disc utility to check to see how bad it is.  However, this doesn't mean death right away, my 5 year old harddrive on my older HP has been squealing for the past few years, without failing on me.

Another possibility are fans.  On my old, old geforce 3, the fan squealed like crazy due to the face it was clogged with dirt, and it only ran when I physically kickstarted it with my fingers.  However, it doesn't sound like a fan issue to me.
D6717C
Anger is a gift
+174|6649|Sin City

james@alienware wrote:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2696/lolmousezw5.jpg
Just stop feeding it. The noise will go away in about a week when it dies. Then you just have to deal with the smell.
killinzero1
+14|6404
thats what im doing that *waiting till it dies*
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

You don't happen to have a CRT running at quite a high refresh rate?

If not - look around capacitors. Could be caused by an RC filtering type effect.
killinzero1
+14|6404
no i use a 19in Sceptre LCD
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6431|Finland

My faulty asus motherboard's PWM squaled a lot. some gfx cards make high noise from their PWM area but it is normally very silent.
do you get it while gaming or windows use?
gfx cards squeal just little bit while under load. (very silently tho. most ppl never hear it) But if it is really annoyingly high it is definately not normal.
my list is
1) Motherboard PWM
2) GFX card PWM

note that faulty motherboard PWM makes the PSU squeal too! I tried
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
$niperkiller
+4|6449|NH
ya sometimes my psu makes funny noises when im running a graphic intensive program such as 3Dmark but not for all becasue it doesn't during crysis.

BFG 800watt.

Should i be worried?
killinzero1
+14|6404

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

My faulty asus motherboard's PWM squaled a lot. some gfx cards make high noise from their PWM area but it is normally very silent.
do you get it while gaming or windows use?
gfx cards squeal just little bit while under load. (very silently tho. most ppl never hear it) But if it is really annoyingly high it is definately not normal.
my list is
1) Motherboard PWM
2) GFX card PWM

note that faulty motherboard PWM makes the PSU squeal too! I tried
i want to say more on windows then games it really werid bc when it does makes the high pitch noise its sounds like water is in there
robcr9
+111|5997
i had this prob once, if you have a fan, hit it real hard! it worked for me. it that doesnt work try a sledge hammer *rolls eyes, looks back and thinks haha*. srsly 1st one worked

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard