Poll

Will/should Bush/Cheney be impeached if US goes to war with Iran?

Yes, they will, and yes, they should20%20% - 9
Yes, they will, and no, they shouldn't0%0% - 0
No, they won't, but yes, they should48%48% - 22
No, they won't, and no, they shouldn't31%31% - 14
Total: 45
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
Will they and should they?  Is the idea of going to war with Iran a good one?  I also refer you to Kmarions thread here --

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=86089

Has Bush's past incompetence or record damaged our ability to go after real threats?  Why or why not?  (We can all agree Bush is incompetent though... right?)
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6660|USA
55% of the public believe they should be impeached right now.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6443|The Land of Scott Walker
If Bush is incompetent so is Congress ...

55% of who, New York Democrats?

Last edited by Stingray24 (2007-12-10 12:06:04)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642
what kind of competence are we showing as an American society when we remove our leadership at the start of a really major war?  We also have a congress that will do everything in their (immense) power to stop conflict.  This isnt a dictatorship where the whim of one or two men decide the fate of an entire nation.  The President doesnt have any authority to declare war.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-12-10 12:08:56)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

Well, regardless of the fact that most politicians in general aren't very competent, I think Bush has set a new record.  Congress may have approved the funding, but its still Bush calling the shots at the end of the day. (in reference to Iraq war, I mean)

Last edited by Spearhead (2007-12-10 12:08:48)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

55% of the public believe they should be impeached right now.
public opinion is one of the most unstable things in politics.   he could get 90% approval ratings next month if Iran nuked a neighbor or two.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-12-10 12:09:15)

Stingray24
Congress is just as much to blame as Bush.  Without approved funding, nothing happens.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
I voted 1 but I wanted to vote 3

Anyway, no they wont / yes they should.
inane little opines
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6647|Washington DC

Spearhead wrote:

Will they and should they?  Is the idea of going to war with Iran a good one?
Ummm ... unless the US Constitution has changed in the last 24-hours, Congress declares war.  Not the President or Vice President.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

This isnt a dictatorship where the whim of one or two men decide the fate of an entire nation.  The President doesnt not have any authority to declare war.
...it isn't yet!

Just kidding. Gunslinger is right, the governmental mechanisms that exist currently wouldn't allow such a thing and in any case I'd be amazed if they could actually manage to 'sell' another war to the American people while they're still busy making a dog's mess out of the one they're already in.
IRONCHEF
+385|6489|Northern California
What I don't get is WHY impeachment is considered something bad!  I voted that they should be impeached but it doesn't mean jack.  They should be  tried for crimes against humanity among other things.

OrangeHound wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Ummm ... unless the US Constitution has changed in the last 24-hours, Congress declares war.  Not the President or Vice President.
You are right.  ONLY congress can declare war.  However, when congress yields this power in the form of a "war powers act" that Bush used to destroy the world, they not only violate the constitution, they give a mentally retarded psycho free reign with our boys and girls in uniform. 

The war powers act that BUSH sought before starting his wars were supposed to limited excursions with goals set and defined.  He even abused this as did the republican congress who did nothing about it.  Likewise, the current congress is not acting on that war powers act by not curtailing Bush's war which they have every right to do, and should do.  This is why they are at such a low approval rating.  Coward sons of bitches.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

OrangeHound wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Sending false info to the Congress in order to have their approval to start a war is the same than declaring the war yourself.
Phrozenbot
+632|6613|do not disturb

As much as the commander guy wants to go to war with Iran I don't think it will happen. I can foresee our next president ushering in it for him though.

And if it does happen, if bush and the chenguin don't get off easy, neither should congress.
Stingray24
Wait a sec.  All the members of Congress were “fooled” by Bush, including the “smartest woman in the US”, Hillary Clinton.  Buahahahaahhaha!   Sorry, couldn’t keep my composure after saying that.  Continuing on, since all of them were fooled, doesn’t make them less intelligent than Bush?  Perhaps one of our fellow BF2sers should run for office, after all you guys obviously have a better handle on the Iraq situation even without the aid of any intelligence reports.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
i vote me for pres 08
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6756|Brixham, UK
Frankly I think everyone should be more worried about Israel blowing Iran off the face of the earth.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

Stingray24 wrote:

Wait a sec.  All the members of Congress were “fooled” by Bush, including the “smartest woman in the US”, Hillary Clinton.  Buahahahaahhaha!   Sorry, couldn’t keep my composure after saying that.  Continuing on, since all of them were fooled, doesn’t make them less intelligent than Bush?  Perhaps one of our fellow BF2sers should run for office, after all you guys obviously have a better handle on the Iraq situation even without the aid of any intelligence reports.
Weren't they fooled?  He lied to them about the WMD's.  He fooled them.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6647|Washington DC

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Sending false info to the Congress in order to have their approval to start a war is the same than declaring the war yourself.
Perhaps you don't understand Washington.  Let me enlighten you.

Congress (actually committees within Congress) has access to the same intelligence information that Bush had ... the issue here is one of interpretation.  At the time, a significant majority in Washington was hungry for blood and the intelligence information was just interpreted toward that agenda by the President, by Congress, and by most analysts.

Even Hillary has admitted that the Clinton White House's assessment of Iraq was the same as the Bush White House's assessment.

You can blame Bush, sure, but the blame is equally on Congress - both Dems and Pubs.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Bush didn't send false info to Congress. This has been covered in detail in other posts, so I won't rehash it here. I can't believe you're still beating this drum, Serge.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466
To bad the US won't be at war with Iran in the near future.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

One or both of them would have to commit a crime first, which the Bush Administration (probably more than any other) has been extremely good at manipulating for their own interests.  Alberto, Ashcroft and Viet Dinh (author of the PATRIOT Act) were very effective in manipulating and interpreting laws in the early years of the Administration.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

OrangeHound wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Congress hasn't declared war since WWII.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CommieChipmunk
+488|6568|Portland, OR, USA

Kmarion wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Congress hasn't declared war since WWII.
Yup.

Nothing would happen though.

We've evolved into a truly apathetic society.

It's sad really.  Unfortunately cursing at the television from the couch doesn't seem to do much.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Unfortunately cursing at the television from the couch doesn't seem to do much.
as you complain about apathy...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

Stingray24 wrote:

Hell yes.  Impeach them and the democrat congress.  I agree.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard