TGMaverick
+16|6219

Buckles wrote:

One thing I'll say about new members (and it's not a dig) is that, before joining and posing on a forum, I always read the rules, and in the case of BF2s here, i was a browser for a good few months before i made an account. Now, i maybe made some dumb posts at first, but it was a while before i started my first topic anyways.

But from a vet member's point of view, it's kinda annoying when a forum newbie creates a topic asking a question that has been discussed to death.

Maybe it might be a good idea to make it necessary to view the rules page during the account creation process?
As a "new member" I tend to search for topics before I post them as well.  But from a new member's point of view, it's just as annoying for us when vets post some of the most ridiculous and pointless threads ever, only to have new members chastised for doing the same thing.
jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.
What does PSA mean?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6721|St. Andrews / Oslo

TGMaverick wrote:

Buckles wrote:

One thing I'll say about new members (and it's not a dig) is that, before joining and posing on a forum, I always read the rules, and in the case of BF2s here, i was a browser for a good few months before i made an account. Now, i maybe made some dumb posts at first, but it was a while before i started my first topic anyways.

But from a vet member's point of view, it's kinda annoying when a forum newbie creates a topic asking a question that has been discussed to death.

Maybe it might be a good idea to make it necessary to view the rules page during the account creation process?
As a "new member" I tend to search for topics before I post them as well.  But from a new member's point of view, it's just as annoying for us when vets post some of the most ridiculous and pointless threads ever, only to have new members chastised for doing the same thing.
I see your point.

I think your the first new member posting what irritates you.

Good job, and keep it coming
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

TGMaverick wrote:

from a new member's point of view, it's just as annoying for us when vets post some of the most ridiculous and pointless threads ever, only to have new members chastised for doing the same thing.
Examples?

And FYI, seemingly ridiculous and pointless threads are usually ok, so long as they haven't been posted before.
But i want to see your examples too

EDIT:

jord wrote:

What does PSA mean?
Public Service Announcement

Last edited by Buckles (2007-08-10 05:44:55)

DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6621|Finland

jord wrote:

What does PSA mean?
Prostate Specific Antigen
Protein Sequence Analysis
Pressure Swing Adsorption
Professional Sports Authenticator
Parts and Service Agreement

..or in this case:

Edit: Damn Buckles, you're too fast!
I need around tree fiddy.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

DonFck wrote:

jord wrote:

What does PSA mean?

..or in this case:

^Please Shoot Above^
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6377|New York
/me agrees
/me gives DonFck a reacharound in agreement
/me also gives DonFck a bouquet of flowers (roses of course, I'm not being cheap for Donnie) as thanks for making this thread, as well as allowing Heggs to complete said reacharound
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

heggs wrote:

/me agrees
/me also gives DonFck a bouquet of flowers (roses of course, I'm not being cheap for Donnie) as thanks for making this thread, as well as allowing Heggs to complete said reacharound
*unzips, slowly...*
*hopeful grin*
jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.

DonFck wrote:

jord wrote:

What does PSA mean?

..or in this case:

Edit: Damn Buckles, you're too fast!
He's not fast, he just didn't right 6 different examples
TGMaverick
+16|6219

Buckles wrote:

TGMaverick wrote:

from a new member's point of view, it's just as annoying for us when vets post some of the most ridiculous and pointless threads ever, only to have new members chastised for doing the same thing.
Examples?
My post wasn't directed at you Buckles.  If I wasn't at work right now, I'd search and provide some examples.  One example that I can think of right off the top of my head is all of the "gun law" threads of a few months ago.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6518|Global Command
How about one for the NOobs;

They must have 500 posts before threads can be created.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6452|cuntshitlake

ATG wrote:

Many new users come here to write a thread, and find an answer, should we deny it? In my opinion, no.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

DonFck wrote:

Damn Buckles, you're too fast!
My missus is always saying that

TGMaverick wrote:

Buckles wrote:

TGMaverick wrote:

Examples?
My post wasn't directed at you Buckles.  If I wasn't at work right now, I'd search and provide some examples.  One example that I can think of right off the top of my head is all of the "gun law" threads of a few months ago.
I know you weren't deirecting it at me, but i still want examples. Though if you're at work, i sympathise

EDIT:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

ATG wrote:

Many new users come here to write a thread, and find an answer, should we deny it? In my opinion, no.
I agree, but a lot of those new users create threads of which the topic has already been discussed to death. That's the main problem...

Last edited by Buckles (2007-08-10 06:17:21)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland
You really are in the threadz, moderatin' the posts.
@ Buckles - you know.. that can be a bad thing sometimes

To solve this problem, there could simply be a dedicated help board - and every thread you create, before you start writing the thread, can have a message coming up that says something like this:

Stop. Search!

This thread might have been created before! Please use the SEARCH feature before creating your thread. If there are no threads matching your problem, or if they have not been answered, you can continue to post.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6452|cuntshitlake

leetkyle wrote:

To solve this problem, there could simply be a dedicated help board - and every thread you create, before you start writing the thread, can have a message coming up that says something like this:

Stop. Search!

This thread might have been created before! Please use the SEARCH feature before creating your thread. If there are no threads matching your problem, or if they have not been answered, you can continue to post.
I like that.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

DeathUnlimited wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Stop. Search!

I like that.
QFT
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6545|Kent, UK

DeathUnlimited wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Stop. Search!

I like that.
QFT

EDIT:

leetkyle wrote:

I assume you're talking about this:

Buckles wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Damn Buckles, you're too fast!
My missus is always saying that
and I'll have you know, my performance between the sheets is exemplary, I come every time
TGMaverick
+16|6219

leetkyle wrote:

Stop. Search!

I am assuming that you're talking about this board popping up when the "new topic" link is clicked?  One downside to this is people will eventually get used to this screen and just click through it, without reading it or doing a search.

You just can't stop people from creating duplicate threads (without restricting the functionality of the boards), you can only hope to keep the hostility down.  I've been on boards where a person must be registered for 6 months before they can even post in the forums - sort of a "read-only" setting.  It sucked.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6730|OctoLand
Nice post.
I know fucking karate
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6225|Uk
/fail.....

....good post, i completely agree

P.S. you don't fail, pls dont ban me
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6443|USA
Hah, I know this thread is directed at me.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6613|Birmingham, UK

Buckles wrote:

heggs wrote:

/me agrees
*unzips, slowly...*
*hopeful grin*
This is exactly the kind of behaviour that part of DonFck's originating post was highlighting as poor manners. See:-

DonFck wrote:

If you're a long term member, you have lots of karma and people admire you, that doesn't give you any more special rights to be a complete prick. Yes, it helps, I'll grant you that, but prolonged idiocy will get you permanently removed.
Not only is this blatant thread 'derailment', but it's setting a bad example for new users who may happen to read the comments in this thread from experienced users to take a further understanding on the repercussions of DonFck's statements and affects if they'll heed his warnings or not. Immature behaviour such as this will only serve to further lead BF2S into a downward spiral in terms of etiquette on the forum.
Do at least try to set a exemplary example sometimes, Buckles - I've seen the standard of quality of your posts degrade rapidly in the past few weeks. It would truly be a shame to lose such a sparkling wit to immaturity and insolence - all through ignorance.

And everyone should remember at all times that...

DonFck wrote:

...disregarding multiple encouragements to clean up your act will get some of your special rights removed, and maybe even your account removed.

Last edited by TheDarkRaven (2007-08-10 13:23:00)

DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6621|Finland

You are correct, DarkRaven.

However, I'd rather like to put that under:

OP wrote:

Remember to have fun, joke around, mess about.
I wrote the text primarily for flamers That's just their weird (yet slightly arousing) way of saying thanks for posting that.

By "being complete pricks" I was rather referring to cases such as "spawnofthemist" and alike. Also the link I posted in the OP is a prime example on what is considered "wrong".
I need around tree fiddy.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6279|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Does my title count?

Please say no
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6186|Winland

By some reason, This sounded like that classic US school video voice from the 50's. (You know, "This is Billy. Billy here has just learned that meat comes from cows. Do you want to take a look on how the cows become meat? *Billy nods*")
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard