prototype
+52|6313
Ok, I got my new system, my new monitor I am all set for some serious BF2.

All I need to know is what OS to buy.

Do I need a 64 bit OS?

Will the 64 bit OS make my games run smoother/faster/better?

Any advice will be appreciated.
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6717|USA
Avoid Vista!!!!!!!!
FoReVeRTS!
+0|6125|Paris,FRA/Ottawa,CAN
Aye, avoid vista.
I'm running WinXP Home Edition SP2, not a memory hog, easy to run, no frills and deadly effective. Plus, it has more resources available if it ever crashes (not happened yet). So go buy XP SP2 for half of Vista, and save some memory load while ur at it.

Furthermore, as long as you get a good grafx card and enough RAM, your OS won't change anything. For example, i've got 2GB ram and a Nvidia geforce 7950 gt 512mb, and I have NO lag at FULL settings on EVERYTHING.

Last edited by FoReVeRTS! (2007-08-09 07:14:34)

AndrewKF
+3|6369
You don't need 64 Bit system at the moment to play BF2 and it wont give any boost to it.
But it can be good for the near future.
Can't say to much about it but I would wait until 64 bit O/S will get rid of the young age problems.
You are talking about Vista I assume
But for now my recommendation would be something cheaper XP / or Vista Basic. It still extra cash but at least i have no problems with BF2 on both systems.
There is no point buying Vista Premium or higher if you planing to change it later to 64 Bit one, Cheers.
But as above posts XP would be best choice for now.

Last edited by AndrewKF (2007-08-09 07:24:13)

XBurnerX
+5|6606|MS - US
XP is still Ole' reliable.  Vista is fine too; it just takes some getting used to. 

As far as 64 vs 32?  You wont notice a difference regarding BF2.  The only issue with 64 is that some devices/software are not compatible.  There is a lot of info out there to tell you what will work and what wont.  The 64 problem is becoming less and less of an issue; its almost not an issue even now.  64 will be the only way in the future; so I say get 64 if you plan on having this system for a long time.  Dont get 64 if you'll be upgrading soon, as you really won't see a difference in your day to day computing right now.

I personally have XP x64 and its nothing special.  I had an old webcam that wouldnt work with it, and a few REALLY old programs that would not run at all (16bit software wont work).  Other than that, its just like 32.

Side note: vista is kinda cool.  I guess its just cause the interface is so pretty.  (OSx ripoff?)
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

FoReVeRTS! wrote:

Aye, avoid vista.
No, don't avoid it! Vista is the next generation of Operating Systems and is brilliant 99% of those who look down on have either:

a) never tried it;
b) used it in its beta only;
c) are too scared too upgrade;
d) all o the above.

FoReVeRTS! wrote:

if it ever crashes (not happened yet)
I really doubt that, unless you just bought your system or something. Or use a DELL.

FoReVeRTS! wrote:

Furthermore, as long as you get a good grafx card and enough RAM, your OS won't change anything. For example, i've got 2GB ram and a Nvidia geforce 7950 gt 512mb, and I have NO lag at FULL settings on EVERYTHING.
That would be the same on Vista!

Vista is great, I really do recommend you try it There are less drivers available for 64-bit at the minute but in the long run it is better, and also you have the addition of being able to have more than 2GB of RAM! 32-Bit is fine though, also.
prototype
+52|6313
thank you, I am gonna go with windows XP home sp2 FTW
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

I would not say avoid it either (especially if you have full driver support), but I would not call it "brilliant" lol.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-08-09 07:26:54)

prototype
+52|6313
ok I got a question:

I own windows 98 SE, would it make any difference if I installed that and then bought the windows xp upgrade instead of the full version so I could save a $100 ?

Or is it better or more stable to go ahead and buy the full version?

thank you
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

prototype wrote:

ok I got a question:

I own windows 98 SE, would it make any difference if I installed that and then bought the windows xp upgrade instead of the full version so I could save a $100 ?

thank you
I'd just get the full version. it will save you some headaches.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-08-09 09:54:18)

majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6664|under there hayousaidunderwear
I would go for vista tbh
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

List your specs.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Volatile
+252|6706|Sextupling in Empire

Go for the vista, but make sure you get at least the home premium. You can pick up an oem for $120.
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6487|UK

jsnipy wrote:

prototype wrote:

ok I got a question:

thank you
I'd just get the full version. it will save you some headaches.
thats BS

Buy the upgrade - the only difference is you have to show it the old windows CD during the installation
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6254|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Aren't Microsoft eventually going to stop supporting XP in the near future though? That's what I heard, sorry no link I am sure it was on the news when Vista came out. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by daddyofdeath (2007-08-09 12:48:23)

prototype
+52|6313
My system specs are :

500 Watt -- NZXT PF-500 Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6550 (2x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB
Asus P5N-E SLI nForceĀ® 650i SLI Chipset
3GB DDR2-800 PC6400
NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB
320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache

I found an ebay store that sells the full version for 90 bucks, what do you guys think? 

legit?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646

daddyofdeath wrote:

Aren't Microsoft eventually going to stop supporting XP in the near future though? That's what I heard, sorry no link I am sure it was on the news when Vista came out. Correct me if I am wrong.
maybe in near future but currently XP is the most secure Windows system if you type systeminfo in command prompt you'll see that XP has around 200 patches so thats why its very secure.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
Do you have a 64bit system?
- If yes, then get a 64bit OS.
- If no, then get a 32bit OS.

Is there good Vista driver support for your hardware (particularly mobo, video, sound, network drivers)?
- If yes, then definitely get Vista.

Have you got all new hardware (particularly mobo, video, sound, network cards)?
- If yes, then definitely get Vista.

Have you got a lot of old hardware (not including HDDs, CD/DVDs)?
- If yes, get XP.

If you're still not sure, post why you're still not sure...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-08-09 16:43:09)

Madhadda1
+270|6546|Cedar Rapids, Iowa

leetkyle wrote:

FoReVeRTS! wrote:

Aye, avoid vista.
No, don't avoid it! Vista is the next generation of Operating Systems and is brilliant 99% of those who look down on have either:

a) never tried it;
b) used it in its beta only;
c) are too scared too upgrade;
d) all o the above.

FoReVeRTS! wrote:

if it ever crashes (not happened yet)
I really doubt that, unless you just bought your system or something. Or use a DELL.

FoReVeRTS! wrote:

That would be the same on Vista!

Vista is great, I really do recommend you try it There are less drivers available for 64-bit at the minute but in the long run it is better, and also you have the addition of being able to have more than 2GB of RAM! 32-Bit is fine though, also.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard