lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
As most of you know I am now in Iraq and I have a story to convey to you.

Last night while at work my friend and co-worker smashed his finger. Bad enough to warrant a trip to the medic station. He was taken by another friend and co-worker. They had been gone longer than we had expected and was starting to wonder. When they got back from being patched up. They told us they were late because they had some causalities that were on there way in from near by fighting, that of course took priority over them.

They heard the DUST-OFF land outside the station and were forced aside as a gurney was rushed past them with a man soaked in blood was put on the table and the medical staff swarmed around him. Doctors hastily barking orders and medics running around carrying those orders out. All for the intent of desperately trying to save this mans life. They left the station before knowing if all of those doctors and medics efforts were successful. So I can not tell you if the man lived or not.

The only reason I share this story with you is because the man on the table was an Iraqi insurgent recently wounded in a fire fight with an Apache. The soldiers in the field that found this insurgent called in the wounded, probably stabilized him as best they could until the helicopter arrived. The helicopter that picked him up and flew him to the medical station was a Blackhawk medivac chopper. You could have never known by the efforts put forth to save this mans life that he was the enemy. The only reason I tell you this story is because you would have never heard it otherwise. I have always been proud to American, but especially today.
namsdrawkcaB
Biggest n00blet around!
+35|6295
Wow.
Good on you guys in iraq.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6525|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
You shoot them then stitch them up, nice work.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS
Good to hear that people still retain their humanity over there.

But don't expect the media to hear it... ever. Though I think you already know that.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6696
thats why we're the good guys.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

TeamZephyr wrote:

You shoot them then stitch them up, nice work.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
nonexistentusmc
+26|6441|Queens, NYC
Well, in the larger scale, us helping him could end up him helping us. Maybe he can give us info or something? Who knows? Just because he is the enemy doesn't necessarily mean death for him right away. There are many different possible reasons as to why we decided to help him survive instead of letting him rot. And I'm pretty sure this has happened before, I just can't exactly point it out in my head right now.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6717|Sydney, Australia

nonexistentusmc wrote:

Well, in the larger scale, us helping him could end up him helping us. Maybe he can give us info or something? Who knows? Just because he is the enemy doesn't necessarily mean death for him right away. There are many different possible reasons as to why we decided to help him survive instead of letting him rot. And I'm pretty sure this has happened before, I just can't exactly point it out in my head right now.
Exactly - of course it has happened before.

What to you guys think they are going to do? Patch him up and let him go in some sort of catch-and-release system? Hell no! As an 'enemy combatant', there is the possibility that he can provide - willingly or unwillingly - intel to coalition forces.
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6390|Evilsville
So what?
This happens in lots of wars. WO1 and WO2 for instance.
It isn't that special..
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6369|Kyiv, Ukraine

mcminty wrote:

nonexistentusmc wrote:

What to you guys think they are going to do? Patch him up and let him go in some sort of catch-and-release system? Hell no! As an 'enemy combatant', there is the possibility that he can provide - willingly or unwillingly - intel to coalition forces.
Well, it is the Law of War, good on them for doing their jobs.  But having been a combat medic, signal interceptor/intel analyst, and cable dog at different points in my career, I'll tell you that you won't meet anyone more professional than the medical corps.  As lowing points out, hippocratic oaths are taken very seriously once anyone makes it to the table.

But, if I were to poke the story with a stick, two things stand out.  Chances are very good that they didn't know who the hell he was when they started patching him up depending on where and how they found him, and just sent him down the line.  Someone could also have been thinking "This guy might live long enough to give us some fresh intel, lets patch him up."  Or maybe they enacted a new ROE that includes being a bit nicer to the people shooting at you (really unlikely).

Altruism NEVER trumps military expediancy.

And in war zones, shit happens.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.  Nobody is arguing with that.  There is no black and white.

Trying to paint this as an example of the "good news from Iraq that is getting ignored" is just absurd on its head though.

Last edited by GorillaTicTacs (2007-08-08 05:44:48)

mcminty

lowing wrote:

That's news to me.

Also, you account only lists one IP - 209.8.247.68 - as being used. Using several IP Locating websites, it seems that you are infact located somewhere in central USA. The distance between the two areas is approx 7000 mi. How can you be posting from Iraq, while having a distinct american IP?

Which then leads me to the crux of the matter. If you are not in Iraq, then where did you find this message that you have re-posted; without acknowledgements?

"own't"?
san4
The Mas
+311|6684|NYC, a place to live

mcminty wrote:

lowing wrote:

That's news to me.

Also, you account only lists one IP - 209.8.247.68 - as being used. Using several IP Locating websites, it seems that you are infact located somewhere in central USA. The distance between the two areas is approx 7000 mi. How can you be posting from Iraq, while having a distinct american IP?

Which then leads me to the crux of the matter. If you are not in Iraq, then where did you find this message that you have re-posted; without acknowledgements?

"own't"?
You aren't serious, are you? Who could suspect our very own lowing?
mcminty
Meh, im bored. Looking for a more elegant way of discrediting him, i suppose...
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6369|Kyiv, Ukraine

mcminty wrote:

lowing wrote:

That's news to me.

"own't"?
The NIPR-net signal package could be routed by satellite anywhere on the planet, though normally it goes through Germany to the outside world.  The contractors using an MWR contract could also be using their own package and hook-up or route through anywhere.  The IP address doesn't prove or disprove anything.  If lowing wants, he can give me his AKO chat username on private mail and I'll talk to him directly.  My only buddy that was a 74B that was still in was killed in Afghanistan 3 months ago so can't check that way.  I've been out over 3 years now and have no idea how they did their networks after they started the occupation.

I am wondering though, both from this OP and Stryyker's flag salute story if there isn't some "Chicken Soup for the Military Soul" book somewhere that they're pulling these stories from.  Search engines aren't turning up any hits, but they don't nab most forum posts anyways.

Last edited by GorillaTicTacs (2007-08-08 06:10:25)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

mcminty wrote:

lowing wrote:

That's news to me.

Also, you account only lists one IP - 209.8.247.68 - as being used. Using several IP Locating websites, it seems that you are in fact located somewhere in central USA. The distance between the two areas is approx 7000 mi. How can you be posting from Iraq, while having a distinct American IP?

"own't"?
I do not know anything about internet or how it works or how shit is sent. I brought my laptop over here with me, finally got internet hooked up in my hooch after the first month of walking my ass to the MWR. All I can tell you about me being here is this. If I were going to lie about anything as far as me being here, you would find my stories embellished. I have never posted anything about my experiences here that makes me look experienced or glorified by being here. I have never claimed to see "action". In fact I have freely admitted that my experiences in Iraq have been limited because I never leave the base., and haven't had that much to say about it.

I can say this however, since I know I am in Iraq and on the internet, that you obviously are not as smart as you claim to be in your knowledge of the internet or you would know why I have whatever IP address I have, while in the Middle East.
David.P
Banned
+649|6269

Skruples wrote:

thats why we're the good guys.
Sadly they Media and Most College Students dont see it that way... Damn Hippies!
san4
The Mas
+311|6684|NYC, a place to live

mcminty wrote:

That's not the right approach. Try going for his soft underbelly.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6626|Washington, DC

san4 wrote:

mcminty wrote:

That's not the right approach. Try going for his soft underbelly.
I have a soft belly.
Commie Killer
+192|6383
I dont think lowing is lying at all, I mean wasn't it usmarine who was in the same base he is stationed now? Lowing didn't have any trouble describing it, and anyways, while I as well dont know a whole lot about communications, I would guess that if you dug deeper into that IP address that you found in the central is probably a military comm center.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6369|Kyiv, Ukraine

Commie Killer wrote:

I dont think lowing is lying at all, I mean wasn't it usmarine who was in the same base he is stationed now? Lowing didn't have any trouble describing it, and anyways, while I as well dont know a whole lot about communications, I would guess that if you dug deeper into that IP address that you found in the central is probably a military comm center.
As I was saying, IP address doesn't mean jack.  Generally NIPR (non-secure internet, as opposed to SIPR) is piped through a commo-package that includes satellite after being subnetted and then piped to the outside world.  Depends on who is handling the signal package, the receiver stations that I worked with were in Ramstein AFB and controlled from Heidelberg, Germany.  If the package supports a sigint unit from the US or Korea, their receiver stations could be completely different, likely Maryland (Meade) or Arizona (Huachuca).  Contractors can also be running their own commo-packages with soldier having access to further confuse the mess. 

Trying to recover my AKO right now, its been 3 years since I logged in.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6753|Argentina
The IP does not tell you a shit about where the person who is using the connection is, it just tells you where the connection is.  He might be as well connecting through satellite, and the IP would be US.  I think Lowing is in Iraq without doubt.  He is one crazy conservative, but he is not a liar, he just doesn't know he's in the wrong side.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6551
I think Gunslinger corroborating one or two of Lowings tales of where he is stationed, as well as the fact Lowing is online a lot earlier than he would be if he was in the US these days, prove Lowing is probably in Iraq.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-08-08 08:28:59)

Smithereener
+138|6311|California
Isn't that a law of war or something? To provide medical aid to the wounded regardless of side?

At any rate, it's this kind of stuff that I'd like to hear more of on the news. People being helpful towards one another, not idiots. The fact that the man was an enemy with a potential to hurt more of our soldiers didn't stop us from trying to save his life. I think that's news/praiseworthy but the media probably doesn't. "In other news today, Lindsey Lohan didn't stay at rehab. Again."
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6544|San Diego, CA, USA

mcminty wrote:

Reminds me of that episode in M.A.S.H. where they patched up a Charlie.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6544|San Diego, CA, USA

Smithereener wrote:

Isn't that a law of war or something? To provide medical aid to the wounded regardless of side?
Nope.  We do it because we value life, while they revel in death.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard