s4vior6
Save's UR @$$
+1|6745|Somewhere in NYC
Hi,

If I get a soundcard instead of using the onboard audio, would it improve performance on my a7n8x?

Thanks
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6819
probably.
BetterShootingPhotos
+0|6709
I upgraded from an Audigy LS to an X-Fi.  What an upgrade!  It is a different game now.  The sounds and their positioning are much improved.  I'd highly recommend the X-Fi.  I think the base model is around $115 at New Egg.

Last edited by BetterShootingPhotos (2005-12-23 11:12:39)

idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6726|Debris From Space
I use SENNHEISER headphones and can hear stuff behind, next or in front of me..
Aardcore
+60|6712|USA, Arizona
I wish I knew what it was like to have a sound card advantage. I live in an apartment where my girlfriend and neighbors get pissed just because the treble (not bass) of my speakers bug them. Once in a while when I know my neighbors and woman are out, I get to turn up the volume and play the game just as I want it with my surround sound definitely helping me out (sporting oldskool Creative Live! via 1999-2000) but I made a mistake once where my left and right speakers were in reverse... so anytime I thought something was under attack from the left, it was really to the right, and vice versa, and I played like that for like... 4 weeks.
Xponential
+0|6763

s4vior6 wrote:

Hi,

If I get a soundcard instead of using the onboard audio, would it improve performance on my a7n8x?

Thanks
Yes, b/c you're keeping the CPU from having to do all the work and the load will be shifted over to the sound card.

idiotofwar wrote:

People just don't realize what a big advantage it is using headphones instead of speakers when you play.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

Sound card will give you better quality audio, and it will take some (a good deal, really) load off your processor. It's a good investment -- even that 115$ xfi (I got the plantinum version cause I wanted optical ports )
Far
+22|6729|USA

Xponential wrote:

idiotofwar wrote:

People just don't realize what a big advantage it is using headphones instead of speakers when you play.
I'll take my 5.1's over headphones anyday.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

Xponential wrote:

idiotofwar wrote:

I think my speakers would disagree with you.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6819
i also prefer speakers to headphones. speakers usually have a richer, more natural sound and fuller bass.

not to mention it annoys my neighbors to hear gunfire blasting at 3 am.
Sud
+0|6746
Of course, don't go out expecting BF2 to actually be compatible with anything you buy to use with it.

I can't even use sound hardware mode on my Audigy 2 NX because of a "voice chopping" issue where all the voices are horribly choppy and annoying (none of the other sounds are this way, just the voices).

Hooray for quality assurance departments
Far
+22|6729|USA

Sud wrote:

Of course, don't go out expecting BF2 to actually be compatible with anything you buy to use with it.

I can't even use sound hardware mode on my Audigy 2 NX because of a "voice chopping" issue where all the voices are horribly choppy and annoying (none of the other sounds are this way, just the voices).

Hooray for quality assurance departments
Yea the readme says your card doesn't support the Hardware Audio Renderer option... sorry to hear that.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6819
i have the voice chopping problem too.

how about fixing that instead of worrying about bunny hopping, DICE?

s4vior6
Save's UR @$$
+1|6745|Somewhere in NYC
thanks for the feedback guys!

I just bought the x-fi music and a Logitech 5300e. I would have to set my audio to Hardware?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard