Yes, I take it without thinking twice!33%33% - 13
Sure, it might help me not get the flu17%17% - 7
Don't know enough about it7%7% - 3
No, I don't think I'll need it25%25% - 10
No, it is a joke15%15% - 6
Total: 39
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
I just got the email in my firm email account saying the flu shot lady will be here October 25th for our annual flu shots.  And like I do every year, I got bugged by it and start reading up on it again.  And every year I learn more new information.  I know that the CDC highly endorses it saying in bold letters that The single best way to protect against the flu is to get vaccinated each year..  Now, I read that and immediately my critical mind begins asking "but there is NO proof whatsoever that flu shots prevent flu" or "being a government agency like the FDA, FCC, or DHS, they are as easily influenced as are the politicians who run things.  And since fear mongering works (1974 when there wasn't fear mongering going on, we turned down such vaccination hype) these days, people are taking shots like mad, like they'll die if they don't!

For me and my obviously pre-shaped opinion, I don't believe the WHO's recipe for this years flu shot will prevent me from getting whatever strains of the virus appear this fall/winter.  They literally pick and chose which strains they "think" will appear and put together a cocktail of toxins, grow it in a chicken egg, and stick it in your arm and make buckoo bucks off of you, while you walk out of that clinic feeling invincible!  Therefore, my family and I have not taken flu shots EVER and will likely never take them.  Of course we also wash our hands, we don't lick door knobs or stand in front of people who sneeze.  And, I have psoriasis so i have a hyperactive immune system and i almost never get sick (1997 was last time I got a viral sickness).

Your thoughts?  Testimonials?  Do you find you get sicker when you take the vaccine?  Do you think you didn't get the flu because you took the shot?

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2007-08-03 09:40:56)

Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6298|Bloomington Indiana
i usually get sick once a year no matter what i do.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6664|USA
Its a joke.
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6717|USA
They are actually injecting you with the Herpes Virus! Be careful.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

I've never had flu, nor have I ever been vaccinated against it. The only people who should be getting the flu vaccine are the elderly.

Flu is pretty rare, despite all the claims by people with colds that they have 'flu'.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

Bertster7 wrote:

I've never had flu, nor have I ever been vaccinated against it. The only people who should be getting the flu vaccine are the elderly.

Flu is pretty rare, despite all the claims by people with colds that they have 'flu'.
Exact same situation with me here.
IRONCHEF

Bertster7 wrote:

Well you know it's said that 36,000 people die a year in the US from flu complications (pneumonia especially).  But then, that's a CDC stat so it could or could not be true.  And yes, it is said the higher risk people in "need" of it are infant/toddlers and elderly because of the pneumonia risks.  Because you know, people who are having flu symptoms (and parents of children with it) usually don't do anything about it but let it fester and kill them, apparently.   I know I'd let my children suffer endlessly if they had the flu symptoms...  /sarcasm
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

IRONCHEF wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Well you know it's said that 36,000 people die a year in the US from flu complications (pneumonia especially).  But then, that's a CDC stat so it could or could not be true.  And yes, it is said the higher risk people in "need" of it are infant/toddlers and elderly because of the pneumonia risks.  Because you know, people who are having flu symptoms (and parents of children with it) usually don't do anything about it but let it fester and kill them, apparently.   I know I'd let my children suffer endlessly if they had the flu symptoms...  /sarcasm
Do you know what flu symtoms are?

A lot of people seem not to. I've seen people claim that having a runny nose is a symtom of flu - which is totally untrue and is in fact a good way of differentiating between cold and flu symtoms.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

IRONCHEF wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Elderly and the young are at risk because of an undeveloped / weakened immune system.  I would advise against getting a flu shot, but think about it for your kid.

Tell me you've taken the MMR vaccine?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-08-03 10:08:59)

IRONCHEF

Bertster7 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Do you know what flu symtoms are?

A lot of people seem not to. I've seen people claim that having a runny nose is a symtom of flu - which is totally untrue and is in fact a good way of differentiating between cold and flu symtoms.
Yep, just read them over the last couple hours.  The differences between flu and cold symptoms are the aching body & head, high fever, and soreness/stiffness, exhaustion, etc.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2007-08-03 10:13:18)

Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6721|Scotland
wow, the USA...

wth, people can get over flus fine. Just wth...
IRONCHEF

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Elderly and the young are at risk because of an undeveloped / weakened immune system.  I would advise against getting a flu shot, but think about it for your kid.

I've read it a little differently.  The ones at risk with weakened immune systems are HIV victims or other's taking medications that suppress the immune system.  Children 4 and up have fine immune systems as do elderly.  The risk, as I read them, are based on how they'll handle pneumonia and other complications from Influenza.  The influenze infection itself is nothing..it's the complications.  Having kids who don't know how to spit up infectious moucus or communicate what exactly is wrong or who won't take medicine (or don't have adequate medicine because of their age) is what can prolong symptoms and complications...I think that'd apply to elderly as well but in a slightly different way.

Oh, not sure what the MMR vaccine is.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2007-08-03 10:18:36)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

IRONCHEF wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I've read it a little differently.  The ones at risk with weakened immune systems are HIV victims or other's taking medications that suppress the immune system.  Children 4 and up have fine immune systems as do elderly.  The risk, as I read them, are based on how they'll handle pneumonia and other complications from Influenza.  The influenze infection itself is nothing..it's the complications.  Having kids who don't know how to spit up infectious moucus or communicate what exactly is wrong or who won't take medicine (or don't have adequate medicine because of their age) is what can prolong symptoms and complications...I think that'd apply to elderly as well but in a slightly different way.

MMR = Mumps, Measles and Rubella.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
only if you have an adverse reaction
IRONCHEF

Bertster7 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

MMR = Mumps, Measles and Rubella.
A yes, of course.  most of those are taken throughout our younger years usually.  I also had to take a slough of vaccinations before moving to brasil including some hep shots. mallaria, and others.  Num nums!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

When I lived in Western Samoa for 8 months, I got every shot you could think of before entering - and then again when I returned.

But to answer your question, no, its not necessary at this time or in this place.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France
Well personally I had a flu shot every year until I went to high school (Reagan was president).  I would get the flu about every other year, but occasionally I'd have it twice in the same year.  Then about six years ago I started getting shots again...haven't had the flu since.

I'm not worried about getting killed, but I hate being sick.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

Airwolf wrote:

wow, the USA...

wth, people can get over flus fine. Just wth...
They get over the flu here too.  Flu shots are meant for small children and elderly folk.
dc_involved
+13|6532
Don't know the situation over there, but in britain people who go for a flu shot when not in the at risk groups are called the "worried well".

Thanks to those fucks a couple of years ago supplies ran low and people who actually needed it couldn't get it. My boss was one of them, selfish prick.

I can't see it working out that way in the US though. Private health and good stocks etc.

My opinion, fight everything you can naturally. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, quite literally in the immune system.
d.cripz
+29|6411
whats the problem if young adults get flu shots anyways?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Its a joke.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6476|Foothills of S. Carolina

I will sum up my knowledge of the flu shot. I, personally, have never had one, however my wife used to get one every year when she worked in an office. And every year after the shot she would be down with the flu like symptoms for 2 to 3 days. Since she has been staying at home with our kids, she has not had the flu once, and that has been 5 years.

As far as the MMR shot goes, we have yet to get the shot for our son, and probably wont till he is much older.... he is 4 now.
Shaguart
Titties
+56|6370|Calgary, Canada
get the flu shot, i get one every year and i have never had the flu, plus my mom is a nurse and tells me all about it. its very good
Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6742|Vermont
Don't they usually say that only the elderly and people who are around it a lot (nurses, doctors, other hospital workers) should really get it?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard