fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6498|Menlo Park, CA

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Any similarities?....
NO!

There are no similarities whatsoever. . . .

My dad fought in Vietnam, and my friends fought in OPIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom).

BOTH have talked amongst themselves and have said that neither war resembles comparable "war senarios" in detail . . . .

Different time, different place, . . . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-07-29 05:14:15)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Any similarities?....
Political similarities? Absolutely.

Similarities in the theatre? Probably - fighting an insurgency using guerilla tactics supported by a hostile neighbouring regime, though in a completely different environment.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command

rub wrote:

yeah, America gets its ass kicked in a war, they never should have started. cause there were no reasons! I feel sry 4 ur soldiers, stupid politicians make them die 4 nothing...........
Idiot.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK

rub wrote:

yeah, America gets its ass kicked in a war, they never should have started. cause there were no reasons! I feel sry 4 ur soldiers, stupid politicians make them die 4 nothing...........
+1
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

m3thod wrote:

rub wrote:

+1
Iraqi Army surrendered 4 years ago smart one. An occupation is not exactly a war.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

rub wrote:

+1
Iraqi Army surrendered 4 years ago smart one. An occupation is not exactly a war.
Tell that to the AQ boyz oh, and /care
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
The_Mac
+96|6233
This is funny for me, because I like to study military history, which tends to have a very good political insight to people's ability to wage wars, and how politics very much revolve around the military.

At any rate, Vietnam was a failure because first off, LBJ was a dope. He literally sat in his office and ordered off bomb targets to the best of his own ability--he'd never even been a general. So first off, he wasn't letting one of the primary air assault branches do their job properly--the Air Force.
Then, he restrained the Army, requiring that the Army would have to kill X amount of people to get Y amount of supplies--this brilliant idea/philosophy was advocated by the genius known as Macnamara and the "whiz Kids".
LBJ was trying to micromanage the war--he wasn't a general, yet he thought he knew better than professionals who knew their job.
"Restraining your generals in war is like tying up the Hound of Han and commanding him to catch elusive hares."
-Sun Tzu

LBJ also required that if any attack on a fire/airbase ocurred, he'd have to be radioed, thousands of miles anyway, before the Americans could respond.
The result of this was that the VC would zero in an Airbase with mortars, and then vanish before the American troops could get clearance to search and destroy the mortar teams. This frustrating political reality--that troops were not allowed to do their jobs before getting clearance from  a politician who was botching the job helped to aggravate the problem.

Because the generals were thus restrained, LBJ devised a strategy on the go--this meant that helicopters would play a crucial war, commanders all agreed, but LBJ didn't fully exploit these advantages, believing that his carefully chosen bomb targets would win the war. There was no central strategy, it was just "Make it up as you go!"
It didn't help that LBJ issued a draft either, which really put the kabosh on the war effort. Most accounts agreed that had the draft not existed (and other things), the Vietnam war would have been far more winnable.

In 1968, when the NVA unleashed a massive TET offensive, LBJ shit his pants pretty much, he hadn't expected the enemy to be so powerful and have the audacity to challenge his troops head on.  The TET offensive was a massive failure for the NVA and VC, from which they never fully recovered, but it was enough that all the wimpy politicians in the white house started whining and were surprised their war 'strategy' wasn't doing the trick.

When Nixon was elected, Vietnam was such a mess, it'd be pretty difficult to win. He opted to let the generals try and do their job, the Air Force began a huge bombing campaign, the Marines introduced the Cobra gunship, and M16s had full chrome plating introduced--McNamara and his whiz kids believed that the M16 was perfect, blithely stuck their heads in the sand, and let the M16s in 'Nam jam. A secret upgrade in the factory had to be incorporated, because these brilliants would not authorize a real upgrade. Ingenious.

Now on the flipside, the British were fighting a similar, guerrilla war, only they didn't issue a draft, they had a strategy--they started isolating guerrilla work stations, bit by bit, it took them 20 years or so, but the British were successful against the Malaysian communist guerrillas because they utilized a carefully thought out strategy, didn't initiate a draft--hell they didn't even call it a war, they called it an emergency, it was still a war, but they didn't pump in thousands of troops instead of trying to contain it by sending more operatives and eliminating the VC opposition, like what Eisenhower planned to do, in Vietnam--unfortunately his terms were up. 

So now, Iraq, another guerilla/insurgent conflict where technologically superior civilization is fighting an inferior group of peoples, desperate, and motivated by one of the most powerful motivators in history--religion.
I'll say right now, the war is going, well, we have suffered minimal casualties compared to Vietnam in this stage, the populace is with us, and the Insurgents are slowly getting shut down. It is because we have a strategy, our president knows he is only a politician (not much of one anyway) and that the generals should do the job--they've actually had schooling.  To label Iraq as the Vietnam of the 21st century is a statement of folly, and only enemies of the United States, and ignorants on the subject, would try to pass that off.

Last edited by The_Mac (2007-07-29 08:17:01)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

rub wrote:

+1
So then the American War of Independence was what, a bar brawl that got way out of hand?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569

fadedsteve wrote:

Different time, different place, . . . .
Which is, of course, the entirety of a conflict's characteristics.  The only difference between the World Wars, for example, was that they were a couple of decades apart.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina
I would agree that this war is going better than the Vietnam War, but that's not exactly high standards to be using for comparison.

The thing that concerns me most about this war is the cost.  Yes, casualties are relatively low, and yes, some progress has been made.  However, this is one of the most expensive wars we've ever fought.  It's amazing to think of this, but this war has cost us about $450 billion and will hit the total of $550 billion at the beginning of October.  By contrast, the Vietnam War cost $584 billion (if you adjust for inflation), but this was from 1959 to 1975.  If we want to be conservative and include only the years when the war was full-scale, then this still is from 1965 to 1975.

So, in summary, we're currently looking at a war that has lasted for about 4 years that has cost us almost the same as a war that lasted 10 years and in a much larger country than Iraq.  In addition to this, I think it's safe to say that the Vietcong were a lot fiercer than these disparate insurgent groups.

If anything is to blame for the costs, it's privatization.  Because of the cost-plus arrangement we have with contractors, they charge the hell out of the government, and very little regulation is present.  So, it really takes an absurd amount of overcharging to occur before any legal action is taken -- hence the scandal involving Halliburton recently.

To make matters worse, contractors themselves are not held liable for their actions by any court system.  While the soldiers involved in Abu Ghraib were prosecuted, the contractors haven't seen a single punishment.  The most that has happened to contractors in terms of punishment is the firing of some personnel involved.  Of course, this does not prevent the same people from signing on to another contracting company for essentially the same job (since there are so many present in Iraq right now).  This has occurred because contractors cannot be tried for actions they do on Iraqi soil by the American court system, and they cannot be tried by the Iraqi court system due to legislation that essentially gives them diplomatic immunity.

War profiteering has made this one FUBAR of an operation, and that's not even including the effects of the insurgency itself.
Smitty5613
+46|6534|Middle of nowhere, California

Spark wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Smitty5613 wrote:

no because there are nowhere near as many casualties as in Vietnam and we are not fighting local guerrillas, they are foreign taliban.......
A huge portion of the forces in South Vietnam were actually North Vietnamese.
That's better.
the Vietcong were south vietnamese "freedom fighters".... they werent from the north...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire
Similarities in terms of the US intervening in the affairs of a nation that could not possibly pose a credible threat to the US itself.

Not many similarities in the geography or landscape of the conflict but similarities in terms of combatants hiding amongst the general population. Instead of a battling a political ideology the religious aspect of Islamism is a factor and as such the US probably find it harder to 'win hearts and minds' as their very presence is a symbol of the West.

Nowhere near as many US casualties this time around either.
The_Mac
+96|6233

Turquoise wrote:

I would agree that this war is going better than the Vietnam War, but that's not exactly high standards to be using for comparison.

The thing that concerns me most about this war is the cost.  Yes, casualties are relatively low, and yes, some progress has been made.
Yeah, because restoring power (electricity) to the whole of Baghdad (even when originally naught was to be found in some areas) in a week is only 'some' progress.

I think the war costs more because we actually have a management that doesn't believe in the retarded LBJ "Y kills for X supplies" which means more funds are being appropriated to get the job done. Which is a good thing.
Balok77
+28|6156
Its not the same as the war in Vietnam as there is no way they can ever win it. Never, the only way they could is by killing every single Sunni, Shiat and Kurd out there. Vietnam was a failure because the Americans where to cocky, Iraq is a failure as it is an impossible situation to resolve....America has got itself involved in a battle which has been going on for thousands of years literally, they would rather kill themselves than make peace

Iraq in a way is Vietnam except now we have opened up something completely else.....one reason why America lost in Vietnam was for the first time media censorship did not occur from the government and therefore people got to actually see what was happening. Its the same in Iraq, we have opened up Pandora's box and its not going to get closed because of a football match. The wars going on inside Iraq has only come to the light of the public because we got ourselves right in the middle of it....

Last edited by Balok77 (2007-07-29 17:03:03)

Turquoise
O Canada

The_Mac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The thing that concerns me most about this war is the cost.  Yes, casualties are relatively low, and yes, some progress has been made.
Yeah, because restoring power (electricity) to the whole of Baghdad (even when originally naught was to be found in some areas) in a week is only 'some' progress.

I think the war costs more because we actually have a management that doesn't believe in the retarded LBJ "Y kills for X supplies" which means more funds are being appropriated to get the job done. Which is a good thing.
Wow... I was never a fan of LBJ, but you put WAY more faith in "the management" than I do.

I would think the cost is mostly due to contractors overcharging us and how we have to rebuild things so much.  Look up the Halliburton overcharging scandal for just the tip of the iceberg.
The_Mac
+96|6233

Turquoise wrote:

I would think the cost is mostly due to contractors overcharging us and how we have to rebuild things so much.  Look up the Halliburton overcharging scandal for just the tip of the iceberg.
I have no faith in any government management. Which is why I criticize LBJ's inability to defend the country against Soviet imperialism.
I'm not a fan of anything government based--which is exactly why I am able to appreciate the military efficiencies of the war--trying to save money in wartime is retarded, and I appreciate that the way this war is handled is done so with as least government interference as possible.
Wars cost money. Freedom isn't free, in both manpower and money.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
Vietnam...
Iraq...

Similar?

Nah!
Turquoise
O Canada

The_Mac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I have no faith in any government management. Which is why I criticize LBJ's inability to defend the country against Soviet imperialism.
I'm not a fan of anything government based--which is exactly why I am able to appreciate the military efficiencies of the war--trying to save money in wartime is retarded, and I appreciate that the way this war is handled is done so with as least government interference as possible.
Wars cost money. Freedom isn't free, in both manpower and money.
Then, if you prefer to save money rather than waste it, you should be interested in knowing that contractors are performing many functions that the military itself used to do with far less money.

Essentially, contractors are charging us more for completing duties at a lower quality than the military once did.

Government involvement might be inefficient, but privatization is proving to be even less efficient.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6568

m3thod wrote:

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Any similarities?....
No invitations?
The French invited us to Vietnam.
Commie Killer
+192|6395

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Vietnam...
Iraq...

Similar?

Nah!
Do you want to contribute to the conversation or are you just going to be a tool?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America

Commie Killer wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Vietnam...
Iraq...

Similar?

Nah!
Do you want to contribute to the conversation or are you just going to be a tool?
Au contraire. Check it out...

Vietnam
Iraq

{dramatic music--- DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN}
Commie Killer
+192|6395

DesertFox- wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Vietnam...
Iraq...

Similar?

Nah!
Au contraire. Check it out...

Vietnam
Iraq

{dramatic music--- DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN}
Its a big conspiracy.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6851|Waikato, Aotearoa

Bubbalo wrote:

No, it doesn't.  The only thing close to resembling an ANZAC formation in Vietnam were the two NZ battalions who used ANZAC as a suffix.  But it wasn't an ANZAC formation: it was two NZ units working under the Australian command.  The Corps hasn't exist since WWII at the latest (and I'm not even sure about that).
*sigh*
ANZAC - Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. A term used to describe the combination of the Aussie Army and Kiwi Army Corps during wartime. Yes ANZACs DO exist today. If East Timor broke into fighting tomorrow and Aussie and Kiwi troops were sent as 1 force then they would be known as ANZACs.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

rawls2 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Any similarities?....
No invitations?
The French invited us to Vietnam.
The French shouldn't have been there in the first place...

Colonialism = major headache further down the track.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

usmarine2005 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Comrade Ogilvy wrote:

Any similarities?....
No invitations?
INC anyone?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard