usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

I like sports where people do the majority of the work, not an engine or transmission.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

confused wrote:

An F1 driver would be more likely to win in Nascar than a Nascar driver would in F1.
Bit like Montoya. Who's doing fairly well in NASCAR these days isn't he?
Tranix
+0|6666|GA
Any racing that takes place from a seated position INSIDE a vehicle pales in comparison to the only true form of racing....Motocross!! and that freestyle crap doesn't count you overly tattooed freaks
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6678|UK

Bertster7 wrote:

confused wrote:

An F1 driver would be more likely to win in Nascar than a Nascar driver would in F1.
Bit like Montoya. Who's doing fairly well in NASCAR these days isn't he?
Didn't our Nige win something like nascar at his first attempt?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6368|Vancouver

usmarine2005 wrote:

I like sports where people do the majority of the work, not an engine or transmission.
Word.

Of course, we can't deny that driving a car takes skill. It's just that the highway next to my house is just as exciting, if not more.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6388|the land of bourbon
that was a good video... most racing is nowhere near that intense
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
_raab
+28|6240|Western Aust.
Personally, I'd prefer a 4 year old commentating. "Yay, the black cars winning, the black cars winning. Yay, the yewwoy cars winning, its winning. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."
PureFodder
+225|6292
There's something about WRC that just puts it above all the rest. Probably that they're driving around completely blind jumps/corners
On A Welsh back road
That is approximately twice the width of the car
On a gravel surface.
No tyre walls if you go off, just trees, walls, fields, and sheet cliff faces
In the rain
At night
Having seen the track approximately once

That takes some skill.
Megalomaniac
Formerly known as Missionless
+92|6334|105 RVK

rawls2 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Of course NASCAR takes skill, it's just less skill than F1 which in turn requires less skill than WRC - how those rally drivers drive like that and stay alive baffles me. Rallying's insane - but interesting to watch. the only downside is they don't race head to head.
How many passes do you see in a F1 race. Very little if any. Nascar takes more "driving in traffic" skills.
so all Manhattan can be in NASCAR?
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6591|England
NASCAR takes a huge amount of skill, as do all forms of racing that involve speeds of 200 mph+.  If it didn't then any old prick would be able to strap himself into the drivers seat and win a NASCAR race right?  I have massive respect for all racing drivers - not only for their skills at driving their vehicles but for the fact that they are dicing with death at every corner (even though the safety measures in motorsport these days are excellent).  But I stick with two wheels and get my racing fix watching Moto GP.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

boogity boogity boogity
jonsimon
+224|6502
All racing takes tremendous skill. But NASCAR is for pussies. Open wheels are where it's at. When you can bump an opponent safely, you're driving in a sissy's race.
jonsimon
+224|6502

rawls2 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Of course NASCAR takes skill, it's just less skill than F1 which in turn requires less skill than WRC - how those rally drivers drive like that and stay alive baffles me. Rallying's insane - but interesting to watch. the only downside is they don't race head to head.
How many passes do you see in a F1 race. Very little if any. Nascar takes more "driving in traffic" skills.
HAH! You can hit another car in NASCAR and be okay. Indy and F1 are the races that take real balls. F1 has fewer passes because it isn't an oval. Passes are more difficult and more dangerous. Indy is similar, the slightest tap and you're out of the race, not so in NASCAR.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6660
After watching WRC and Formula 1 on Speed Channel for a year I can't watch anything BUT the last few laps of a NASCAR race and keep much of an interest in it.  It certainly takes skill, but the oval track layout kills it for me...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
taxi2you
+22|6650|Missouri
I was similar in thinking with the sceptics until I talked to Kenny Scrhader a few years ago.  His summory was try doing 50lbs curls for 3 hours in a firesuit in 140F temps with out fresh air.  Take in mind they are doing 130-200mph with 43 others doing the same thing.

Last edited by taxi2you (2007-07-26 09:43:40)

-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6660

taxi2you wrote:

I was similar in thinking with the sceptics unitl I talked to Kenny Scrhader a few years ago.  His summory was try doing 50lbs curls for 3 hours in a firesuit in 140F temps with out fresh air.  Take in mind they are doing 130-200mph with 43 others doing the same thing.
No offense to Kenny Schrader, but if NASCAR was THAT physically taxing all of the drivers would look like Conan the Carbarian.

It's tough, no doubt, but c'mon...I can't even imagine the mental AND physical rigors of a long rally...I would think NASCAR kind of pales in comparison.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6576|United States
I would vote Rally as the most overall skills needed. Each racing category takes a certain level of skill, but each one also takes different kinds of skills.

Nascar: Very same tracks every year, very predictable, car regulations, rain delays, full service pit, medical services, etc.

F1: Same thing as Nascar minus the hefty regulations on cars.

Rally: You might race some of the same stretches more than once, but they're never the same. Weather delays? lol. No pit crew, and you'll be waiting on a helicopter if you run into any kind of emergency and/or wreck. There isn't that much car vs. car racing but your outcome is solely dependent on the skills of your navigator and the skills of your driver.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6229|Escea

jonsimon wrote:

All racing takes tremendous skill. But NASCAR is for pussies. Open wheels are where it's at. When you can bump an opponent safely, you're driving in a sissy's race.
Here's a few of those safe bumps,

Behold the NASCAR crashes,

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2007-07-26 10:08:48)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6669|USA
I could race a nascar in my sleep.

Ask this question, if Nascar wasn't conceived, what would those 30+ drivers be doing for work? My guess is construction.
jonsimon
+224|6502

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Ask this question, if Nascar wasn't conceived, what would those 30+ drivers be doing for work? My guess is construction.
Indy?
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6669|USA

jonsimon wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Indy?
No way. There are right turns in Indy racing. Nascar drivers would drop into a comatose state if a right turn ever came up in front of them.

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-07-26 10:22:01)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6575|Mountains of NC

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Indy?
No way. There are right turns in Indy racing. Nascar drivers would drop into a comatose state if a right turn ever came up in front of them.
ohhhhhh but wait their is a NASCAR course that isn't oval

Sonoma Course - Gordon won it last year

https://www.tickco.com/images/tracks/infineon.gif
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6691|United States of America
Don't forget Watkins Glen
https://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/gr/watkins.gif

Last edited by DesertFox- (2007-07-26 10:35:44)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6637|Washington, DC

I think kyle's the only european who watches NASCAR.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6575|Mountains of NC

Hurricane wrote:

I think kyle's the only european who watches NASCAR.
well it shows theirs hope for the boys across the pond
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard