pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
I have been using my MX518 and keyboard for flying and helicopter piloting since I've been playing this game and almost everyone says that to be anything close to a good flyer, you MUST have a joystick. Are they right?
I've been debating giving in and buying a joystick because they are a little expensive (granted, most are nothing compared to a good logitech mouse) but if they make that much of a difference, then...
I've been thinking that they make a difference but not a whole lot. If you want to go from great to REALLY great then you should get a joystick, but it's not that important to weekend flyer like me.
I would appreciate feedback from those who fly joy or those who fly mouse/key, but I would LOVE feedback from those who have made the switch from one to the other!
TravisC555
+118|6211|Cox Convention Center, OK
I can do more things with the joystick than with the mouse, such as more advanced manuveurs, that for me, would be really hard to do with K/B & Mouse. I don't know, I guess I'm just used to using a joystick, I can't really fly well with mouse and k/b.

Last edited by TravisC555 (2007-07-22 05:07:57)

Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6486|Sydney, Australia
I fly keyboard only.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51
Joystick has more control, I can make tons of crazy manouvres due to high DPI mouse settings + high ingame mouse settings, but the side affect is, that my control totally goes off. About control thingy, I mean in a plane.

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2007-07-22 05:16:00)

Djbrown
+129|6488|Adelaide, Aussieland
If you only fly bf2 jets occasionally and dont intent on spending 50+ hours in jets, its probably not worth it. but if you really wanna get good at the jets, and bring in the constant gold medals etc joystick ftw. just be prepared for hours of practice
nonexistentusmc
+26|6437|Queens, NYC
It all depends on the pilot... I'm sure you don't need to joystick if you can manipulate the keyboard. I have a joystick, and sometimes I think I turn better using the keyboard because my joy isn't breaking that turn radius as hard. So it all depends.
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6712|Scotland
I personally use a joystick and find it soo much more advantageous over keyboard/mouse.

Here's why.

Better than mouse, because say I want to do a tight loop. All I do on the joystick is pull back and wait. On the mouse I would have to keep pushing up and up and repositioning my mouse on the pad. Fail.

Better than keyboard because the fire buttons are to far away from the arrows/WASD You also don't have 3D movement on the keyboard for yaw/roll.

So, joystick isn't that important unless you want to be a >average pilot.
sniperintheopen23
+6|6181
if you want to think it is then it is but i use my mouse
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6467|Foothills of S. Carolina

I use a joystick, but I still pretty much suck at flying. Tried flying with my mouse, and it turns out I am even worse. If you are good at flying with the KB/mouse Id say go with what you are comfortable with.
SteikeTa
+153|6740|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
I use a mouse and keyboard
Aapje
Internet Superhero
+221|6388
You won't get better by just using a joystick. If you suck terribly with mouse then you won't be that much better with a joystick. I had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and the thing broke a time ago. But you can make maneuvers better with it. If you really want to get it go for it! I'm probably going to buy one soon.. It's not that much anyway.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6618|Sea to globally-cooled sea
impossible to hover with a keyboard
Raphi
Banned
+354|6250|Basel, Switzerland

Vub wrote:

I fly keyboard only.
Have to try this. Never seen a flyin keyboard tough. Which airlines?
Unreal_Gunner
Banned
+11|6123

Vub wrote:

I fly keyboard only.
ftw.. and i usually beat everyone.. single seating or just flying that use joystick...
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6189|Winland

Choppers are better flown with kb/mouse, especially whiles flying solo. Planes are to be flown with Joystick or KB only I think, because in planes, the mousepad is allways too small. You need endless motion space for the mouse in planes.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6134
I'd say a good joystick will improve you if you're willing to put the time in, but you don't need one.  Some of the best pilots I've seen (50+ kills a round even on low scoring maps) use mouse & kb.  I personally could never get the hang of flying with mouse & kb so I bought a joystick, but you can easily get by without one.
Samtheman53.000001
Banned
+30|6121|My mummys tummy

G3|Genius wrote:

impossible to hover with a keyboard
lmao
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6346|West NY
I thought you can't use any controllers with bf2...
I_WISH_I_WAS_HENRY
+6|6117|Pennsylvania, USA
I personally use a joystick, but i think k/b & mouse or keyboard only works as long as you can feel comfortable playing with them.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6446|USA
mouse and keyboard for choppers, joystick for jets
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6523
Ive flown my chopper with mouse and keyboard and I dont think anyone has ever told me that I suck at flying. For planes I use mouse and keyboard as well since I dont have a joystick and while I fare well enough I see room for improovement when doing sustained turns which the joystick would assist in. That is for planes only however.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6558|England

I have always used m+k for helis and jets. I did buy a joystick at one point but just could not get used to it. Two hours on an empty local server and I still couldnt even get the jist of lining up an empty target for a bombing run, let alone with guns (twas the Essex guns on DV).
The only chopper I have serious problems with is (for consistent circling, not flying) is the EC635 - AF MEC scout heli. But Im sure thats not just me

I can fly fine with M+K, the only thing I lack is advanced maneauvers in dogfighting, i.e. evading/losing enemy jets, stunts, sometimes evading missiles or whatever else. Im far from being a good dogfighter anyway, and unless you are going up against very good to elite pilots, you can usually evade and lose enemy jets with the M+K: with practise.
But Ive still had a good few compliments for my flying, both in jets and helis over time. The Bombers on Daqing used to be a speciality of mine but it's since dropped off.
As far as Im concerned, unless you want to compete in dogfighting tourneys or are really serious about aeriel combat (not just Wake J10 whoring, but Kubra and OCS) - I wouldnt worry too much.

Last edited by Snake (2007-07-22 10:12:04)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
joystick for jets, and tbh i use a joystick for helos. But i suck, so my opinion doesn't count
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
TravisC555
+118|6211|Cox Convention Center, OK

Noobpatty wrote:

I thought you can't use any controllers with bf2...
I've heard game pads don't work well with BF2, but joysticks work fine.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6282|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

I use mouse and keyboard.

Of course, I'm not one to talk. Of course, I did evade a J-10 in my F-18 for a good 10 minutes using the mouse and keyboard (that means you, Canin).
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard