unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Given the wide variety of differing opinions religions have, I am comfortable in adopting my my own religious view of the universe.

1. The probability of conditions in this part of the galaxy, in our solar system and on this planet existing to where Earth can support life are not improbable when given the scope of our universe, but is greatly increased by the possibility that someone or something did arrange things this way.

2. If the creator communicated with a select few of our species, it stands to reason that he did not tell them everything, which leaves much room for them and their successors to creatively interpret and bridge what little had been revealed to them. Many religious stories hold superstitious value because that is what they undoubtedly are.

3. Given 2, I feel free to accept scientific opinion on multiple topics, but it has not given me any substantial reason to absolutely reject 'God' (God, within the sense of the Christian template I have chosen). Science itself proves itself wrong, somewhat wrong or merely misinformed time and time again. A professor of psychology, for example, will probably advise his students to save their text...for within ten years the paper, once it has aged in dried, will make a great firestarter. What we know is subject to change, no matter how advanced we think we are.

4. As to the 'soul,' disregard superstition for a moment to consider the possibility that everything exists on multiple levels of reality. Have we discovered them all?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-07-20 12:38:25)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida

twiistaaa wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Therefore, we are faced with the following possibilities:

* You live as though God exists.
          o If God exists, you go to heaven: your gain is infinite.
          oIf God does not exist, you gain nothing & lose nothing.
no you do lose something, time spent living your life in church, prayer and concern. you lose your own moral compass and let a fictitious book give you the basis of right and wrong (even thought it technically doesn't lol). it corrupts the near one in infinitey opportunity you get at life.
To add on,
You also make VERY important choices in life. Especially if you are a person of faith and happen to be someone important, like the president.
The president letting world choices be influenced by a belief in god pisses me off. I dont care what party he is.

I think i would deffinitly feel better if we had an Atheist president.
15 more years! 15 more years!
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6650|Washington DC

Mitch wrote:

The president letting world choices be influenced by a belief in god pisses me off. I dont care what party he is.
Perhaps we do ... in an interview a couple of years ago, I specifically remember a reporter asking Bush how much influence his Christianity had on the decision to go to war with Iraq.  Bush said something like "it had absolutely no influence."  So, if the biggest decision of his Presidency was not influenced by God, then perhaps nothing else of his presidency is influenced by God ....
weasel_thingo
+74|6328

Ty wrote:

I'm sure everyone already knows this. It's a question of faith. Some people like myself don't have it and some people do. This argument will not sway people into believing one way or the other.
Chaos_nation
Anarchy in the UK
+6|6185|Wolverhampton
What pisses me off is the lack of respect shown to others who do not agree with your view. Just because you do not understand the principles behind a subject such as religion (You don't understand the holy trinity even which is one of the simplest of concepts  [from another thread]), it does not give you the right to disrespect the values that others hold dear in their lives by making the statements you have in this thread and by posing such unreasoned questions that show no thought or real argument. When I read the initial post, I saw one thing that was clear, you don't understand religion at all so you take the easy option of picking someone else's argument and then posting it here. This thread would be less disgusting if you had reasoned your arguments properly, but I doubt whether you have learned anything about reasoned arguments either....you sure know nothing at all about religion.

I will give you a very good example of how God exists. Millions of people around this tiny planet we live on believe in a God (whatever form they deem it to be), be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, whatever their faith is.  There is your proof. It is absolute... God exists for people who chose to follow God. No more proof is needed.

You cannot show me the science of gravity but since we can see its effects, we can happily believe in i. Why? because scientists have reasoned the theory and it is a concept we can believe.

We cannot prove the existence of God, but we can see the effects of believing in a God. And for millions of people who are far more informed than you are to argue the concept, that is enough for them.

Therefore....GOD EXISTS. Case closed.

Last edited by Chaos_nation (2007-07-20 13:19:42)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6702

OrangeHound wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Perhaps we do ... in an interview a couple of years ago, I specifically remember a reporter asking Bush how much influence his Christianity had on the decision to go to war with Iraq.  Bush said something like "it had absolutely no influence."  So, if the biggest decision of his Presidency was not influenced by God, then perhaps nothing else of his presidency is influenced by God ....
I seem to recall Bush saying on several occasions that major decisions were influenced by what he believed God wanted him to do. Here's one, though, of course, the quote the article is based on was not direct. Even if you discount these quotes, which, admittedly, are rather shaky, I seem to recall Bush saying publically on more than one occasion that he believes God wanted him to perform certain actions in his capacity as the leader of the country. Medical professionals have prescribed anti-psychotics for less.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1586978,00.html

and

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/internat … 50,00.html

Not to mention seemingly packing various parts of his administration with graduates of christian colleges. Colleges, I might add, that score among the worst in the country in terms of academics:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/hi … ol/?page=2

There are many other examples of politicians basing political decisions on personal religious convictions, specifically on the issues of homosexuality, abortion and lesser issues like the ten commandments in public spaces, and in almost all of these cases there was no objective basis for their positions. (Homosexuality is a non-issue as far as all the pertinent medical authorities are concerned, life, vis a vis 'being human', does not start at conception as far as science is concerned, and the lesser issues like prayer in school are, for the most part, lightning rod issues that merely ensure the support of various gullible groups of voters).

In short: I, too, would feel much better with an atheist president.

Chaos_nation wrote:

What pisses me off is the lack of respect shown to others who do not agree with your view. Just because you do not understand the principles behind a subject such as religion (You don't understand the holy trinity even which is one of the simplest of concepts  [from another thread]), it does not give you the right to disrespect the values that others hold dear in their lives by making the statements you have in this thread and by posing such unreasoned questions that show no thought or real argument. When I read the initial post, I saw one thing that was clear, you don't understand religion at all so you take the easy option of picking someone else's argument and then posting it here. This thread would be less disgusting if you had reasoned your arguments properly, but I doubt whether you have learned anything about reasoned arguments either....you sure know nothing at all about religion.

I will give you a very good example of how God exists. Millions of people around this tiny planet we live on believe in a God (whatever form they deem it to be), be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, whatever their faith is.  There is your proof. It is absolute... God exists for people who chose to follow God. No more proof is needed.

You cannot show me the science of gravity but since we can see its effects, we can happily believe in i. Why? because scientists have reasoned the theory and it is a concept we can believe.

We cannot prove the existence of God, but we can see the effects of believing in a God. And for millions of people who are far more informed than you are to argue the concept, that is enough for them.

For someone berating another for a lack of a properly reasoned arguement, this is one of the least convincing cases for the existence of God that I've heard in a while. In fact, the idea that every single culture on the planet has their own set of mythos and/or God(s) is pretty compelling evidence that there is no one God; if there was a single, all controlling God, it would be a relatively simple for Him/Her/It to ensure that every culture ascribed to (or was at least exposed to, so that they might have a chance to ascribe to) His/Her/Its particular set of beliefs, but that hasn't happened. Christianity, for example, arose in one geographical location and was carried from there in the typical fashion (word of mouth, missionaries, etc). Logically, If the Christian God did indeed love all of His creations and wished them all to have an equal chance of getting into the Kingdom of Heaven via faith in Him and whatnot, he would not have condemned people from every other geographical location on Earth for never having a chance to convert.

My point: If you ascribe to the Christian religious beliefs as laid out in the Bible, hundreds of millions of people have gone to hell for the simple reason that they were never exposed to christianity. It's hard to believe in Jesus Christ as your personal savior when Jesus Christ's believers never showed up on your small remote island and told you about him. Hence, it is highly unlikely that the Bible is literally factual in this regard, and far more likely that it was designed as a set of beliefs to better the culture(s) that were exposed to it. The same applies to pretty much every other religion, as they all generally set forth what are considered 'good ideas' from a logical standpoint (I.E: Don't kill people (killing people is bad for society) Don't have sex with anyone but your wife (society is more stable when everyone isn't sleeping around with everyone else, especially with concerns to raising children) and dont believe in anything but the religion that you already belong to (it's easier to coordinate the behaviors of large groups of people when they all share a common set of beliefs)). Thus, from an objective standpoint, it is far more likely that all of the varied religions arose as a means for their respective society's to operate more efficiently than it is that any one supernatural entity set them in motion.

Unless, of course, you were making the arguement that God exists as an idea and not as an actual entity, in which case you are entirely correct. There are billions of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Buddhists, etc, all with their own beliefs, and, to each of those individual groups, their particular God or belief system does exist, but not in a physical way.
CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine

Chaos_nation wrote:

There is no holy trinity. God is one. Jesus is God, God is Jesus. There is one throne in Heaven, not three.

There is no biblical reference or scripture on the holy trinity.

Jesus was God in the flesh...the human form of God. He was still God, just in a fully-human body. God is omnipresent, meaning He is everywhere all at once, every second.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

Chaos_nation wrote:

K.. so if millions of people believed in aliens they have to exist?

that makes sense..

Just because there are a lot of ignorant people out there doesn't prove the existence of a god tbh....
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
The fact that everyone hate you Mitch is proof some sort of god exists.
Orrish
+4|6127|Liverpool, Merseyside
Hmmm quite a debate we have on our hands here, my thought sometimes is directed at what happens after death. some people who have had near death experence's said they see a white light that they are traveling towards too, but then were to be sucked back into their body's so to speak.

i think there might be nothing after death....... just darkness .......... nothing else but your own thoughts inside a black void forever to stay there, never to be heard but yourself. i might aswell be sounding very creepy at this moment but i have a feeling that there is nothing there......just nothing.

back onto the god subject ............................... i have nothing to say.
phil-12-12
Banned
+21|6184|c-c-c-Canada
ok im not going to read your whole think about god not being true... i dont care if you do or not... but the reason i do is atleast god will like me if i did something bad in my life and when i die i have a better chance of going to sweet heaven then hell...
Chaos_nation
Anarchy in the UK
+6|6185|Wolverhampton
I dont see anywhere in my post that I state that there is only one God.

The fact that mankind has evolved believing in Gods is proof enough. For a God (any God that is, not just THE God of your own particular religion) to exist in the minds and hearts of people who follow religion is proof enough for those who follow the religion. Since there are so many religions around followed by millions of people, who are we to say that their God is fake? That just reeks of ignorance for others.

BTW, I do not follow any particular religion nor do I believe in an omnipotent being that protects and guides us but I would not have the audacity to suggest that someone who followed religion to shape their life is a fool for following a fake which is basically what this thread started out by saying.

Last edited by Chaos_nation (2007-07-20 16:42:02)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

I agree with you...

An almighty entity????

That created things that will possibly fail and go to hell????

Now thats just down right sadistic.... and mean.

And I dont want any part in it...

Im very happy without God and his silly rules....
QFFT.

Thats quote for fucking truth.

"God" apparently according to every single religion ive heard of, creates beings to test them. The cost of failing this test is eternal damnation. Wow, sounds like someone i wanna worship...

Thanks to religion claiming god is all knowing, they screwed themselves over. If god is all knowing he knows past present and future, thus he creates you KNOWING you future. Therefore he creates people he KNOWS will fail and go to hell, in essence, he sends people to hell because he likes to. Now sorry but FUCK THAT. I am not worshipping some evil ass being.
PureFodder
+225|6287

Chaos_nation wrote:

Technically whatever religion you believe in, there are far more people who think you're wrong, by that logic all religions are wrong.

Chaos_nation wrote:

I dont see anywhere in my post that I state that there is only one God.

The fact that mankind has evolved believing in Gods is proof enough. For a God (any God that is, not just THE God of your own particular religion) to exist in the minds and hearts of people who follow religion is proof enough for those who follow the religion. Since there are so many religions around followed by millions of people, who are we to say that their God is fake? That just reeks of ignorance for others.

BTW, I do not follow any particular religion nor do I believe in an omnipotent being that protects and guides us but I would not have the audacity to suggest that someone who followed religion to shape their life is a fool for following a fake which is basically what this thread started out by saying.
Read Breaking the spell by Daniel C. Dennet. The wide acceptance of religion and massive variations are more syptomatic of a natural phenomenon rather than a devine one (why would God tell everyone different things and encourage them all to hate and kill each other?). By the way, there are approximately 2-3 new religions started every day, the typical lifetime for a religion is a decade and there are estimated to have been many millions of religions in the history of mankind. Here's a few.

Last edited by PureFodder (2007-07-20 17:35:36)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America
If IRC doesn't solve this, I don't know what will:

[19:55] <DesertFox-> !8ball Is there a god?
[19:55] <ChanServ> DesertFox-: You never know.  Neither do I.

Well that settles that, doesn't it...
Fen321
+54|6499|Singularity

Orrish wrote:

Hmmm quite a debate we have on our hands here, my thought sometimes is directed at what happens after death. some people who have had near death experence's said they see a white light that they are traveling towards too, but then were to be sucked back into their body's so to speak.

i think there might be nothing after death....... just darkness .......... nothing else but your own thoughts inside a black void forever to stay there, never to be heard but yourself. i might aswell be sounding very creepy at this moment but i have a feeling that there is nothing there......just nothing.

back onto the god subject ............................... i have nothing to say.
How does one experience nothing -- does it not then become something once experienced?
agent146
+127|6388|Jesus Land aka Canada

lavadisk wrote:

meh. let them believe. It keeps the Christians nice and kind. and it keeps them from flipping out and killing other people/themselves.
seriously lavadisk is right. Its not does matter God = fake; it does not matter if you believe God or not; atleast you live good moral life (there is some grey area of course that people debate on what is right or wrong etc abortion)
but hey i used this pic before and i will use it again. Be happy that your facing against angry christians instead of..... https://themot.org/gallery/d/58497-1/Islamfuckyeah.jpg LOl it could be a whole lot worse

Last edited by agent146 (2007-07-20 18:27:55)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

CrazeD wrote:

The difference between Evolution and Creation is that Evolution takes most facts from what we see. What we feel. What we experience, and what we as humans ration as truth.
lmao, yeah I see monkeys morph into humans quite often myself.

You didn't disprove God at all. What you did prove, however, was how ignorant and arrogant you are.

Physical matter can not appear out of thin air and make a big ol' bang and put everything in orbital rotation so perfectly and precisely. Matter magically exploding in space would not create living organisms, that billions of years later magically morph into humans.

How can you believe something as absurd as that, but not believe in something that actually has truth to it? There are tons of things in the Bible that have come true or are coming true as we speak. The Bible was written 2000 years ago, yet things written in it are happening today. Lucky guess? I think not...

You should try Jesus...if you don't like Him, Satan will always take you back.
How can you believe in something as absurd as that?

You can't. No rational person would believed such a butchered and mutilated theory of the Big Bang.

Try getting your facts straight before you attack, yes?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Oh, clarification of my own beliefs: People can believe what they want.

But the moment their beliefs begin to harm human progress/knowledge, that is a serious problem that MUST be countered.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6548|the best galaxy
All You need to know about religion:
Zeitgeist part 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 9627863972
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6230|NSW, Australia

yay,
religion + religion = war
war = bad
religion = bad
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

Nappy wrote:

yay,
religion + religion = war
war = bad
religion = bad
Religion hasn't meant war since the 16th century. Sorry.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

agent146 wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

meh. let them believe. It keeps the Christians nice and kind. and it keeps them from flipping out and killing other people/themselves.
seriously lavadisk is right. Its not does matter God = fake; it does not matter if you believe God or not; atleast you live good moral life (there is some grey area of course that people debate on what is right or wrong etc abortion)
but hey i used this pic before and i will use it again. Be happy that your facing against angry christians instead of..... http://themot.org/gallery/d/58497-1/Islamfuckyeah.jpg LOl it could be a whole lot worse
Pretty much...  Just when you think fundamentalist Christians have fucked society, Islamists always manage to outperform in acts of sheer idiocy and hate.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6522|Istanbul-Turkey

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

lol you foolz going to hell. sad for ya.
Let me ask you this. Why do people with heavy religious beliefs are afraid of dying? Wouldn't they apparently go to an afterlife and live eternally with God? And what happened to (for Christians) Jesus dying for our sins?
sin of death is something in human nature and have nothing with religion. its unpreventable.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6230|NSW, Australia

what about ww2 and the whole hitler thing trying to make a "superior race" or whatever... thats like a religion? or something

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard