Poll

On a scale of 1 to 10, how f*cked is the US education system?

10 - Completely FUBAR, a disgrace to the country22%22% - 23
9 - Almost F'ed up beyond repair, very, very bad4%4% - 5
8 - Extremely F'ed.8%8% - 9
7 - Greatly F'ed.. still, barely reparable13%13% - 14
6 - More than it should be, almost passable21%21% - 22
5 - It's flawed, but still manages to do its job7%7% - 8
4 - Some kinks here and there, nothing serious tho4%4% - 5
3 - It is serving its purpose, doing it generally well7%7% - 8
2 - It's doing a great job, almost no flaws2%2% - 3
1 - It's one of the best in the world, nearly perfect3%3% - 4
Total: 101
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6354|West NY
Pointless, much? What problems are you talking about? I must life somewhere that is an exception to 'US education' because my school's fucking great. Besides, the only thing I've experienced is school food (the only thing I don't like). Places like Spain get some good fresh healthy shit while we get microwaved crap.

Last edited by Noobpatty (2007-07-19 11:09:00)

jonsimon
+224|6495

Noobpatty wrote:

Pointless, much? What problems are you talking about? I must life somewhere that is an exception to 'US education' because my school's fucking great. Besides, the only thing I've experienced is school food (the only thing I don't like). Places like Spain get some good fresh healthy shit while we get microwaved crap.
Seriously, US cafeterias are terrible.
topal63
. . .
+533|6718
Considering we are the Economic Leader in the Modern Western World. I would say...

The American primary school system is an utter disgrace. It is designed to achieve - exactly what it does - opinionated subjective non-objective incapable-of-critical-thought dumb Americans.

Secondary education on the other hand - can be some of the world's best - and attracts some of the worlds' best (many of which, of course, are not Americans).

I give it a 3... because it is acheiving its goals.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-07-19 11:16:19)

jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

You cannot expect anything from government employees who have had no verifiable measures of success until recently. A government employee has no motivation other than job security and blaming other for thier faliures.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6671|UK
i gave a 10 just to skew the results.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

6/10. We still have a pretty good education system in comparison to some other nations, but it is messed up way more than it should be. I fault the people in charge for trying to make it into a political indoctrination program, while passing sheep through its halls with the minimal amount of hard education.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-07-19 12:43:05)

FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6412|Belgium
Anyone care to enlighten us non-Americans as to why the US education is fucked up right now, or why you think it is fucked up?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
it's not fucked up, people just like to bitch.

I'm getting a great education here in Oregon..
darad0
+40|6621|Centreville, VA
it is fucked up. kids in school just don't realize it. american children are being indoctrinated in laziness and lack of work ethic. thats why people who write at a 5th grade level are getting into college. if you want proof i'll post my roommate's essays.
CyrusTheVirus
E PLURIBUS UNUM
+36|6473|United States of America
It's the best in the world. Compare it to Pakistan where a day at school involves learning how to sow soccer balls.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6671|UK

CyrusTheVirus wrote:

It's the best in the world. Compare it to Pakistan where a day at school involves learning how to sow soccer balls.
must be some pig.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
DooM
+28|6307
Go to Africa to get an education or other poverty stricken countries. You will struggle to pass due to over 60 in a classroom ranging in all different ages. No one to come help you if your stuck. Oh yeah bump up on the corruption as well.
HSG
+23|6474|British Columbia, Canada
us is fu*ed in general.
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6338|EsSeX

CyrusTheVirus wrote:

lol at least they learn something
specops10-4
+108|6743|In the hills
Judging on my own school system that I go to, it would be a 1, but on the whole, I gave it a 3.

I go to the 10th best public high school in the country, so I really shouldn't be judging it based on my own school system.  However in "tha ghettos" the schools utterly suck, and need to get paid better, and be revamped.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
My high school has a 96 percentage rate of kids going to college. 0.5% fail rate.

And it's a public HS with the nickname "the pharmacy". Guess why.

It's the kids, not the teachers.
phil-12-12
Banned
+21|6183|c-c-c-Canada
i think that you guys need to learn more.. considering some of you guys still think we live in igloos here in Canada, and mayne people dont know what Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or all the other countries in the north are called.. its pathetic..
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Poseidon wrote:

They sell drugs?

The joke at my high school was that we can only produce doctors and lawyers.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York

DesertFox- wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

They sell drugs?

The joke at my high school was that we can only produce doctors and lawyers.
The kids do. Profusely. Yet 99% still manages to pass...
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6480|Somewhere else

I was dead last in my class, the only people below me did not graduate.  I consider myself fairly smart, and it pissed my teachers off when they called upon people in class and I was almost never wrong, but still barely passing.

The point is, is that Schools don't INSPIRE kids or Intrique them enough to want to learn. 

Basically, All we did in school was copy and paste.   Take Info,  Remember it for test.  Write it on test.  Past test. forget info.  Remember new info for test, take test.  REPEAT.

I was bored to tears in school.   We did nothing that was interesting. Nothing really hands on, and most importantly, nothing applicable to Life after school *besides your maths, and English basics in grade school.

Term papers or projects were always set out by guidelines guaranteeing that the project would not be interesting.  Books required to read always had to follow Moral Guidelines and not be lewd.. I.E. BORING.

I have read 1000 times more after high school.  I have learned 1000 times more than school taught me.   

A big problem was stereotyping, even by teachers, Because I wasn't an athlete, I wasnt in the in crowd the teachers pampered to.  I had older borthers that pissed upon any chance of a teacher trying to see me in a positive light.

Plus,  to put it plainly.  Alot of kids are imbeciles.  But the class is set at a pace of "no child left behind"  leaving the smarter ones sitting there twiddling thier thumbs bored as fuck.    Boredom+Youth+being stereotyped=unrelenting Mischief and teacher infuriating shenanigens.

The teachers try, they really do.  but they are also just people.  And some people are rude, judgemental, prejudiced, cold hearted, and apathetic. 

The whole approach needs to be revamped.   Staring into books trying to simply remember shit fort tests is useless.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2007-07-19 16:47:40)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA
How fucked up is the US education system???

Nowhere near as fucked up as the parents that raise kids today that use school as a babysitting service instead of an institution for learning.

Education does not only happen in a classroom, it is a process that subjet matter is taught in a classroom as well as at home and practiced at home with the parents and in the classroom with the teacher. When parents fail to hold up their end of the process and ignore their kids education. The first thing you want to do is blame the school for stupid kids. The blame is at home.

To learn you need 3 things

1 someone willing to teach.
2. someone willing to learn.
3. someone to re-enforce the learning.

Parents are MORE responsible for their kids education than the school is. THe school provides books a comfortable learning environment and teachers. If your kids are raised to be disrespectful, uncaring, and impolite. Guess what, the problem is YOU and your fucked up kid. NOT the govt.

A kindergarten teacher gets a misbehaved kid and the first thing the parents do is blame the teacher for being a shitty teacher. It isn't little Johnny's fault and it sure as hell isn't the parents fault for the way they raised this kid for 5 years. It is the teachers fault who has him in her class for a month out of his 5 years of life that made him a piece of shit. Ya right!!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida
Good points, lowing.  But on the whole I agree with rooster, if education inspired kids to learn in the first place kids who might not give a shit instead actually like learning.  The entire system is screwed, imho.  Maybe not in some parts of the country, but in too many, yes.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Spearhead wrote:

Good points, lowing.  But on the whole I agree with rooster, if education inspired kids to learn in the first place kids who might not give a shit instead actually like learning.  The entire system is screwed, imho.  Maybe not in some parts of the country, but in too many, yes.
How does it not? A comfortable class with heat and air, a desk, books, a teacher willing to teach? What more is needed except a READY MADE KID who comes to class with a positive attitude and values he/she should have been taught at home. School is not a place to teach behavior, that is the parents job. Like I said it is not a babysitting service. Social skills TAUGHT AT HOME should be practiced at school, not taught at school.

PS. Inspiration's first hero should be the parents, do not blame the school if it isn't

Last edited by lowing (2007-07-19 18:35:12)

kingofkolt
+17|6224|Boston, MA, USA

k30dxedle wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I'm not going to vote as I'm not American and don't know enough about your education system ...but I will say this - your geography lessons could do with a little improvement
"Where's Asia? Is that in New York City?"
I don't think that's what Braddock is referring to when he says our geography education needs improvement. I think he's referring to Bush in March 2003:
"Hello, Americurr. On September 11, 2001, we were attacked by turrurrist killurrs from Afghanistan. Today, we're going to invade their country of residence."

And off he goes to Iraq.

Kind of like the doctor that said, "Wait, WHICH leg are we amputating?!"

Last edited by kingofkolt (2007-07-19 18:41:23)

trackstarr
+18|6701|Swing and a miss
Our education system is way messed up
We have remedial schools for kids who just don't give a damn about education
Fuck even some of my friends had to go to those schools.

If we don't fix our education system what will our future look like.
I sure as hell don't want to watch this happen to our country

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard