Poll

Do You Need Skill To Be A Flyer (attack Chopper)

NO- its who ever sees who 1st20%20% - 27
YES- it aint just aim and fire79%79% - 106
other specify0%0% - 1
Total: 134
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6657|UK
Ive been playing since dot, and some how noticed that i had notched up enough time to go for te the silver award for attack chooper, so i decided to give it ago, and withing a few rounds i had actually managed it..i found this very easy to do as the missiles locked on to there target air to air, as long as i saw them 1st i would normally win, and vice verser if i didnt. The tanks seemed to exploded if you came up from behind them, had a few probs with walkers and that was about it. now bear in mind i am only talking about attacking from seat 1 flying, must admit did enjoy it tho.

did a search and this was all i found http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=45500
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6644|can
Attack choppers in 2142 are a joke.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6237|United Kingdom
hell yeah - find me in a server trash and i'll rag ur ass
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

TrashBlinD wrote:

Yep, they really are. You can do a perfect hover, and also when you go sideways, it auto-lines you back up?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
No. Even me and kylie, a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, could pwn in a jetty-helo. And we suck
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Rogue_granny
+22|6568
Yeah you have to be a good pilot as there are so many easy ways to die, flying with a gunner is a different story as if you rely on him to do his job you usually end up toast, i have to admit i enjoy flying the gunship solo myself and got my expert badge 2 days ago, 40 kill in the round gunship ftw. Really enjoy getting a lone enemy infantry man and killing him with rockets but the best is on Shuhia Taiba when the enemy try and camp silo 1 from the roof of the large round building, they are always perched on the edge firing rockets, throwing motion mines sniping and all the rest, you just come in in your gunship switch the shields on and run them all over, great way of getting tons of easy kills lol
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6536|Valhalla
I always found flying in 2142 easy possibly because I have a fair few hours flying in BF2. Its not so much skill its how you can handle the gunship thats the main thing along with practice .

Rogue_granny wrote:

best is on Shuhia Taiba when the enemy try and camp silo 1 from the roof of the large round building, they are always perched on the edge firing rockets, throwing motion mines sniping and all the rest, you just come in in your gunship switch the shields on and run them all over, great way of getting tons of easy kills lol
I call that love tapping

Last edited by loonitic (2007-07-19 10:25:05)

l41e
+677|6650

I can kill things with the BF2142 attack...things. Have I said enough yet?
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
When I played it was pretty east to just dominate everyone. It was at the top of the food chain.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6491|Gogledd Cymru

jord wrote:

When I played it was pretty east to just dominate everyone. It was at the top of the food chain.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

fatherted13 wrote:

No. Even me and kylie, a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, could pwn in a jetty-helo. And we suck
haha yep.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6291|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Mr.Surgeons wrote:

jord wrote:

Erm, sorry to invade the 2142 forum, but

OMG SURGEONS IS (temporarily, it'd seem) BACK!
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6598|Michigan, USA
I disagree, it does take some skill if your up against an experienced pilot, you cant just fire and expect a kill(not on me atleast).  The missles to home in, but if your clever, a simple loop or something along those lines can easily throw your missles off, and then you just whip around and waste your chaser.  Then again, doesnt matter to 2142 haters, becasue its not BF2 therefore its worse.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6237|United Kingdom
you lot about no skill - try flying against me and we'll see
ZCaliber
+12|6513|Between Canada and Iowa
Boy howdy... let me tell you there is a big difference between a skilled pilot and a complete neophyte.

There have been numerous times where me and my Gunner have literally been the defining factor in winning a round. You know when more engineers are taking SAAWs instead of Plums (Yes, Plums... Not Pilum, PLUMS!) or the AV rockets that you're really owning it up. A good Pilot/Gunner combo can literally shut down all vehicular activity, they can even do asset denial better than any Recon could.

Now, a gunship in the hands of a neophyte? Sure, he might be able to shoot down transports, maybe an errat gunship or two. Possibly kill a tank or APC that's pre-damaged enough to have wasted its shields. Include a neophyte gunner and you can chalk up a few infantry kills based on a certain timeframe. But you can bet that this gunship is gonna explode at the drop of a hat by a Rorsch or even a Sudnik, and will absolutely cry for mother should a Walker spot it.

Now, let us look at the middle grounds.

An experienced pilot, with a neophyte gunner. Assuming the gunner even attempts to use the RGMs, it's not a bad combo. More often than not, i'll take a bad gunner than no gunner at all. (I seem to go up against a LOT of infantry when I fly...) Granted it isn't too hard to solo RGM if you have gunner experience or the right technique (Or if your name happens to be FAST... -_- ) but it can stil be risky if you get overconfident.

The inverse... Neophyte pilot, experienced gunner. Because most neophyte pilots lack the 'gunner sense' of any experienced pilot would, all the gunner can really do is take pot shots at anything lighting up in the RGM view and mow down any targets of oppourtunity with the guns. Still, better than the Neophyte/Neophyte.

I've already mentioned the dual experienced combo above.

Now the roles. The Pilot, by far, has the hardest job. He has to worry about... *Deep breath*

The other gunship(s)
'Hunter' (Aerial) Transports
Ramming spite transports
Ramming transports in general
Walkers
Tank MGs
Tank shells
Plums
Mitchells
Sudniks
SAAWs
Titan AA
Titan ground cannons
Lightpoles (Best Gunship AA in the game)
Rorsches
Terrain hazards
Elevation changes
Pods (Both Titan and APCs)
APC EMPs
APC mortars (They can snipe you out if you're not careful.)
Hachimotos
Locating and lining up RGM targets
Maneuvering so as not to get shot down when hunting infantry
Shield managing
Accidental TKs (Both giving and recieving)
Motion mines (Both on the Titan shield (If applicable) and when flying low.)
AND Death locking.

If any one of those things above that doesn't involve offense isn't handles correctly? Boom, game over, please wait 2 minutes to get your gunship back.

/Rant?

Last edited by ZCaliber (2007-07-21 02:05:29)

Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6510|Bournemouth, South England
Even a girl could fly them.
JimmyBotswana
+82|6587|Montreal
HELLYES!!!! And if you don't agree come fly against me someday
maniacmattie
Karma Whore.. LOL
+27|6303

TrashBlinD wrote:

I agree. Absolutely nothing on the attack choppers in BF2.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6237|United Kingdom
which is why the game is more balanced - no vehicles dominate the whole game like in BF2 (jets, choppers)
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6598|Michigan, USA

mitch212k_2 wrote:

which is why the game is more balanced - no vehicles dominate the whole game like in BF2 (jets, choppers)
Isnt that the truth?  Played Ghost Town the other day for the first time in years, once my teamates got to the Apache/Hind(or whatever it is) the round was won, they lost all flags, heli teams ended up with score 50+  rest of us mabye 20+ if we were lucky to find something to kill.  Never seen a round go like that in 2142(well the occasional Gib round) because though you can be great in a vehicle, it doesnt make you invincible.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6272
I voted no.

Obviously, an experienced Pilot vs a complete noob who's never flown before is always going to be a one sided battle.

However the poll is 'do they require skill to fly', and the answer is no.

Hold a button to go fowards, hold a button to do a perfect hover, cant roll over, missles that lock onto other aircraft even if you completely miss them.

Easiest aircraft i've ever seen in a BF game. Obviously there's a lot of dangers, but the flying itself is easy as pie.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6754|Toronto, ON
I don't need skill because I AM skill.
Alpha as fuck.
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6657|UK

Nyte wrote:

I don't need skill because I AM skill.
ok post your leeeeetness link for all to see
ZCaliber
+12|6513|Between Canada and Iowa

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I voted no.

Obviously, an experienced Pilot vs a complete noob who's never flown before is always going to be a one sided battle.

However the poll is 'do they require skill to fly', and the answer is no.

Hold a button to go fowards, hold a button to do a perfect hover, cant roll over, missles that lock onto other aircraft even if you completely miss them.

Easiest aircraft i've ever seen in a BF game. Obviously there's a lot of dangers, but the flying itself is easy as pie.
You can deathlock. Take a turn the wrong way and suddenly the sky looks a lot more like the ground. *Pacman death sound*

As for the missiles, they need to be close enough for the lock to work. So you at the very least need to accomplish that.

As for basic flight, yeah, it's not too hard. Anyone can fly around for days without doing anything that'll get him a score (Besides errant Gunships/transports whose pilots don't know what shields are.), killing things is the real challenge in a gunship. For the pilot, you're only allowed to miss one or two rockets from a salvo for a full kill. A gunner needs to get a feel for the RGM to get anything above a FAV only down to flaming (Well... Any aerial vehicle goes down in 1 as well.) if it hits.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6272

ZCaliber wrote:

You can deathlock. Take a turn the wrong way and suddenly the sky looks a lot more like the ground. *Pacman death sound*
Oh man i know, you can't eaaily roll them over, but heaven forbid if you do. Once they're upside down you will die. Unless you were very very high at the time.

And as for the missles locking on, i was messing about in singleplayer Suez Canal, and the missles really dont have to be very close to other aircraft for them to lock on. I fired mine about an inch away from the enemy gunship on the screen, and the missles still got him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard