I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6484|denmark
I just got BF2142 and NS through EA-link. I patched them to 1.25 and started playing. it worked fine for about two days. (you can See my stats - MadsTjele). but when I tried to launch the game today, I received a pop-up from EA-link saying: "the game can't start. ran out of system resources. reboot your machine and try again."

naturally I tried rebooting a couple of times. it didn't help. I even uninstalled BF2142 and NS including the profiles and screenshots, and reinstalled and patched them - twice! that didn't helped either.

when the game did work, I was using approx. 1600 MB of ram. (I've got 2 GB) and that was with a few things like MSN in the background.

any suggestions?
kachunkachunk
+8|6391|Ontario
Strange, what are your system specs? Namely I'm curious about what OS you're using, I suppose.
If you're using Vista, I suggest starting the game as administrator.

And when clearing game content, ensure you fully remove the configuration files in the relevant \documents and settings\profile\my documents\battlefield 2142\. Or really, the entire directory. You'll probably have to adapt the path as necessary. \users\ for Vista, as well.

The error message doesn't look like the usual EA Link message. If someone has a hex editor that wants to look at the executable, they can probably have a look for the error message to ensure it's even spawned from the application. Not that I'm doubting you, though.

I'd suggest removal of the config files and entire profile. No need to reinstall. Also ensure that you have a page file, and that it is large enough (eh, I go with a large 5GB pagefile, which is out of the norm--I do more than gaming. You can do with a gig or two).

If you're using Vista, there are other things to consider doing, administrator-related... I won't really get into it here, but there are more posts about it in the forums. I posted a large summary to overcome Vista issues, recently. You should not see the error you're seeing, however. I suppose maybe we should just take it at face value and close as many apps as you can while gaming. Something may indeed be taking up too much memory.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

I_invented_BF2 wrote:

I just got BF2142 and NS through EA-link. I patched them to 1.25 and started playing. it worked fine for about two days. (you can See my stats - MadsTjele). but when I tried to launch the game today, I received a pop-up from EA-link saying: "the game can't start. ran out of system resources. reboot your machine and try again."

naturally I tried rebooting a couple of times. it didn't help. I even uninstalled BF2142 and NS including the profiles and screenshots, and reinstalled and patched them - twice! that didn't helped either.

when the game did work, I was using approx. 1600 MB of ram. (I've got 2 GB) and that was with a few things like MSN in the background.

any suggestions?
Happened to me once. Reinstall 2142 then reinstall EA link.
I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6484|denmark
my computer is a AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+, 2 GB ram, RADEON X800 series 256 MB, HDA digital X-mystique 7.1.
and the OS is XP home edition (5.1, build 2600).

I can usually run MSN, xfire, skype and have a couple of windows with homepages in the background WHILE playing BF2 with settings in high without lagging. now I can't even launch BF2142 solo..

I'm the only one using the computer and I therefore only have one account - administrator.

I tried deleting the game via control panel/add and remove programs, and the reinstalling again from EA-link. i didn't help. but my AVG free virus protection caught a virus called Obfustat.AZV. it was found in the BF2142Pace.exe. (did I receive that from EA-link?)
my AVG said that it had healed the file automatically and it was good now, but when I try to launch BF2142 I receive another EA-link pop-up.
this time it says: "the game can't start. the game has apparently been removed or deleted. please reinstall the game from EA link, where you can see the list of games, you own". (it might sound different in the English version - I'm translating it from danish to English.)

my problem is that in EA-link, BF2142 is ready to play - not ready to install or download. and in control panel/add and remove programs, I can still see BF2142 taking up 2047 MB of space... so why can't EA-link launch the game?

I hope someone can help. I'm wasting holiday-playing-time as it is..
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
is there anything in this folder?

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142   <<

theres another folder in your C  directory.... C:\ProgramData....it should have the BF2142.exe and bf2142_bp1.exe (Northern Strike)

They should be there unless you uninstalled them...   if they are there...?      reinstall

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2007-07-18 00:37:17)

Love is the answer
I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6484|denmark

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

is there anything in this folder?

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142   <<

theres another folder in your C  directory.... C:\ProgramData....it should have the BF2142.exe and bf2142_bp1.exe (Northern Strike)

They should be there unless you uninstalled them...   if they are there...?      reinstall
my BF2142 folder is D:\programmes\electronic arts\battlefield 2142 - but I can't see any BF2142.exe
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6557|Kent, UK
check how much HDD space you got on your C:\ and D:\ drives. you might be running low.
Also, it might be worth checking your RAM to make sure it hasn't fried. What temp does your rig run at, and have you been having exceptionally warm weather lately??
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51
Uninstall EA-Link. Download it again from an other place and install again.

I'm guessing that your EA-Link that you have now is corrupt or something, since your problem seems to originate at EA-Link. 

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2007-07-18 01:04:54)

I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6484|denmark

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

check how much HDD space you got on your C:\ and D:\ drives. you might be running low.
Also, it might be worth checking your RAM to make sure it hasn't fried. What temp does your rig run at, and have you been having exceptionally warm weather lately??
I divided my HDD in two - C:\ for windows and D:\ for pretty much anything else. C:\ got 8,75 GB of free space and D:\ got 108 GB of free space. according to the tower display it's 36-38 degree Celsius inside.

I've just deleted EA link and BF2142. I have reinstalled EA link and are now waiting for BF2142 to reinstall.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6557|Kent, UK

I_invented_BF2 wrote:

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

I divided my HDD in two - C:\ for windows and D:\ for pretty much anything else. C:\ got 8,75 GB of free space and D:\ got 108 GB of free space. according to the tower display it's 36-38 degree Celsius inside.

I've just deleted EA link and BF2142. I have reinstalled EA link and are now waiting for BF2142 to reinstall.
ok. the temp looks ok, but is that idle temp? what does it read when you're gaming?
If reinstall doesn't work, check the partition is ok. then you'll have to run memtest for a few hours if you still can't find the problem. last resort will have to be a reformat i'm afraid
I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6484|denmark
deleting and reinstalling both EA-link, BF2142 and NS is not working.

edit: oops.. after a reboot I finally had some success. my game is launched and waiting for me. I just went out for 1 minute to pass around some much deserved karma.

my game is working and I'm on vacation until august 16th.. MUHAHA

thanks.

Last edited by I_invented_BF2 (2007-07-18 03:31:04)

kachunkachunk
+8|6391|Ontario
Whoo, nice stuff. I was going to say that AVG got a false-positive on the bf2142pace.exe file, and when "cleaning" it, it ruined the executable, making the game unstartable.
Pace is an anti-piracy protection built into EA Link games.

Anyway, you're good to go, so that's great.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard