Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Not realy sure if this is the right section for this, but i figure people who are into PS and things may be able to help me.

Recently ive been looking into making my own website for prospective employers to look at, something like a personal website is meant to help ten fold in getting a job in the computer industry. Now the main problem is that i didnt do the module this year that taught basic webscripting, so instead ive got all the notes of a mate who did do the module. Ive spent the last two days going through the notes and making a basic XHTML website with links, images, text etc. Im not quite onto java applets and java script. Ive also dled PS and started to learn that too as images play a fundamental part in a website, ive browsed the code for a lot of websites and seen that most use java script to actually produce what you see.

Anyway to the point. I was wondering if there was anyone who has made their own site that could give me links to tutorials, their sites or give me some tips on how to make it look good.

Cheers.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

That's where I learned HTML back in '97.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Thanks that looks quite good. Main question is whether its all HTML or XHTML.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204
This is the best online resource available:

http://www.w3schools.com/

Also, don't waste your time with Java Applets. Learn a server-side programming language like PHP.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Also, don't waste your time with Java Applets. Learn a server-side programming language like PHP.
yes. very very very good place. w3schools taught me a lot. There fun and easy.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

I think he means Javascript. Even so,

! DO NOT USE JAVASCRIPT FOR FUNCTIONALITY THAT COULD OTHERWISE BE DONE WITH HTML !

Christ.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6620|Medford, WI
chittydog
less busy

PHP isn't going to help him much. He needs to learn HTML, CSS and Javascript in that order (XHTML is basically a combo of those three). It sounds like he's just looking for a good presentation layer. PHP isn't going to do much good for him unless he has lots of backend logic he needs processed. That's sorta useless for a resume site. In fact, Flash would even be more useful than PHP.
chittydog
less busy

Villham, just reread your post and realized you probably already know a lot of what I mentioned. If you want to continue on the web, you'll have to learn JavaScript. It's not that hard and if you've taken any programming courses in the past you'll pick it up easily. What kind of computer industry job are you looking for?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

That site kinda makes sense. Im guessing its made by the w3c.
chittydog
less busy

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

chittydog wrote:

PHP isn't going to help him much. He needs to learn HTML, CSS and Javascript in that order (XHTML is basically a combo of those three).

XHTML is a transitional markup language that combines HTML and XML. Javascript is a client-side programming language and has nothing to do with XHTML.
Javascript is a client-side scripting language that is used extensively with XHTML for presentation.

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

chittydog wrote:

It sounds like he's just looking for a good presentation layer. PHP isn't going to do much good for him unless he has lots of backend logic he needs processed. That's sorta useless for a resume site. In fact, Flash would even be more useful than PHP.

You recommend Flash over PHP? Besides being completely unrelated to PHP, Flash is not a recommended medium for website design. Flash content is ignored by search engines, is generally inaccessible, and not a part of the semantic web. It is slow-loading, requires that the user have Flash installed, and is slow to develop. That is why you see less and less Flash websites these days and many current Flash websites are making the switch to XHTML/CSS-based websites. If your website needs to help you make money, Flash is the worst possible choice you can make.
Read my post, I said I would even recommend Flash over PHP. PHP is dying just as fast as Flash. If you need a powerful business website, only web hobbyists are using anything like PHP anymore. Most businesses (aside from those that are committed to Linux) stayed with ASP when PHP tried making its push. These days anyone serious is using Java or .NET. Vilham is not creating a large, robust business site. He's creating a small personal site that is basically an online resume (Vil, correct me if I'm wrong here). For that, he gains almost zero benefit from learning a server-side scripting language unless, as I stated, he's processing some type of logic or rules. Very unlikely for a personal resume site.

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

My recommendation, as a professional web developer, is to start off with table-less XHTML and CSS websites. Read up on semantic markup and accessibility, as that will help you improve the quality of your work.
Also as a professional web developer, I agree 100% on this.

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

From there, learn a server-side programming language, preferably PHP (and MySQL), so you can begin to create dynamic, database-driven websites.
Vilham, this is good advice if you're going to be processing some kind of data. However, if you're looking to become a professional web developer, don't bother with an aging skill set. Learn .NET or Java. If you just want a personal site for finding a job, stick with XHTML and spend some more time with PS.

Last edited by chittydog (2007-07-16 19:43:37)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

chittydog wrote:

Villham, just reread your post and realized you probably already know a lot of what I mentioned. If you want to continue on the web, you'll have to learn JavaScript. It's not that hard and if you've taken any programming courses in the past you'll pick it up easily. What kind of computer industry job are you looking for?
I already know java. Im not sure how similar javascript is to java though.

Im doing Computer Science BSc atm, so i know a few programming languages, so it shouldnt take long to learn. Im looking at software programming and gaming industry. Ive been reading up alot and it apparently realy helps to start early with this stuff, i may be in my first year but i recon its best if i start now, then i can showcase everything ive done, like WC3 maps, bf2 maps, elderscrolls mods etc.
Soldier-Of-Wasteland
Mephistopheles
+40|6657|Land of the Very Cold
I also suggest http://www.w3schools.com/
chittydog
less busy

Vilham wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Im doing Computer Science BSc atm, so i know a few programming languages, so it shouldnt take long to learn. Im looking at software programming and gaming industry. Ive been reading up alot and it apparently realy helps to start early with this stuff, i may be in my first year but i recon its best if i start now, then i can showcase everything ive done, like WC3 maps, bf2 maps, elderscrolls mods etc.
It's fairly close. If you know Java, you know the syntax. It's just a matter of learning the object model and you'll pick that up quickly. http://www.javascript.com/ has all that on there, although I'm not crazy about the way the site is laid out. If you're looking at the gaming industry, Java is a great place to start. Even if you don't go into gaming, the bank I work for starts junior Java developers in the $60K range. Not bad for right out of school in the US. Anyway, if you haven't taken C++, go ahead and take that as well. It sounds like you have a great idea of what you need to do to achieve your goal. Good luck, man. I look forward to playing a game you've written someday.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204
This has got to be a joke. Java is archaic and is primarily used in enterprise-level development. The only reason it still being used is because of its extensive libraries. A scripting language is a programming language.

PHP and Ruby are the fastest growing server-side languages. PHP is already extremely popular. The majority of your clients will most likely be using Linux Apache PHP MySQL servers. The majority of my development is done in PHP using the CakePHP framework (emulates the Model View Controller design pattern of Ruby on Rails).

I recommend learning server-side languages in this order:

1) PHP
2) Ruby

Do not listen to someone who obviously does not know what XHTML is and recommends Flash over PHP.

chittydog wrote:

If you're looking at the gaming industry, Java is a great place to start.

If you want to be developing tetris games for cell phones and PDAs, then Java is a great place to start. Reputable video games? No one uses Java.

Last edited by Cerpin_Taxt (2007-07-16 20:02:56)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

chittydog wrote:

Vilham wrote:

chittydog wrote:

It's fairly close. If you know Java, you know the syntax. It's just a matter of learning the object model and you'll pick that up quickly. http://www.javascript.com/ has all that on there, although I'm not crazy about the way the site is laid out. If you're looking at the gaming industry, Java is a great place to start. Even if you don't go into gaming, the bank I work for starts junior Java developers in the $60K range. Not bad for right out of school in the US. Anyway, if you haven't taken C++, go ahead and take that as well. It sounds like you have a great idea of what you need to do to achieve your goal. Good luck, man. I look forward to playing a game you've written someday.
Yeah im taking C++ next year.

Also can you guys not argue about scripting languages and programming languages. No matter what either of you say my lecturer in java made it perfectly clear javaScript is NOT the same as java.

As to what im going to learn for webscripting from the uni notes i have, its mostly basic stuff apart from the XHTML and PHP.

XHTML
CSS
javascript
javaapplet
PHP
XML

Thanks for the help though guys.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-07-16 20:03:00)

jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

Damn, I'm too late to make any good points in the argument, so I will just say good luck.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Also is there a XHTML api like the java api?

eg http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

Vilham wrote:

There is a spec ... http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

jsnipy wrote:

Vilham wrote:

There is a spec ... http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp

was actually what i was looking for. Thanks anyway.

I have one big question for you guys about framesets:

1. Should i use them? eg for a table of contents down the left side or along the top, so that it stays the same throughout the website.
2. If i should how do i make it work like a table of contents. So far i can only make it change what is in its own frame and not what is in the other frame.

If you cant answer no.2 thats fine, its just that i looked around all last night for the answer, i even took my lecturers example with such a working case and opened it in note pad but couldnt find the section that showed it as it was using javascript.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-07-16 20:17:15)

Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204

Vilham wrote:

1. Should i use them? eg for a table of contents down the left side or along the top, so that it stays the same throughout the website.
2. If i should how do i make it work like a table of contents. So far i can only make it change what is in its own frame and not what is in the other frame.
Never, ever, ever use frames.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
Yeah thats kinda what my lecture notes said. Talked about how you cant bookmark pages with them and shit like that.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204
You can either copy and paste the markup for your navigation into every document, or put it in a separate file and use a server-side language to include it into the main document (this saves you from having to update every page when you need to make changes to your navigation).

Last edited by Cerpin_Taxt (2007-07-16 20:21:43)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Vilham wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Yes, yes, yes. Definitely start like yesterday already! I wish I'd done something very similar back when I was a first year in my Software Engineering BEng - but we didn't have the web back then.

I'm currently in the process of building my own website (click my sig) - btw, feel free to browse the source code, but would highly recommend you do not - 1. I'd rather you didn't steal any of it (but it's hard to stop that on the web) and actually - 2. you probably won't want to steal it - it might give you some pointers of how to do some things, but my requirements for my website ah, well, somewhat unique, and the current version is a somewhat hacked together first 'gotta get something up' attempt at meeting a small subset of those requirements.

Anyway, as others have said, you need to know or learn the following:

1. (X)HTML - if you haven't looked at this yet, it's easy, don't worry too much about the differences between XHTML and HTML - there isn't that much of a difference - but you do want to make sure you're learning from an up-to-date book/tutorial.

2. CSS - cascading style sheets, if you're not familiar with them, control the 'visual' aspects of the site content (font styles, colours, positioning and so on) - the css language is very easy to learn, and again, you want to make sure you're learning from an up-to-date source.

3. JavaScript - with JavaScript I'd actually recommend starting with an older JavaScript book - the core core core language hasn't changed much, so getting back to JavaScript 1.0 and learning that will give you a good grounding - and they'll be cheap.

Don't think about PHP or other server-side scripting for the moment - you don't need it immediately - build the basic framework and start putting in the main content of the site first - this can all be done client-side (with (x)html, css and javascript).

A secondary benefit to doing it all client-side, is that you could, for example, take all your (x)html, css and javascript files, drop them on to a CD/DVD and you have a presentation disc you can take to give to prospective employers at interview - fancy it up a little with a nice label and a quality case, and you've got the job. (if only were really that simple - but you get the picture, I hope)

I would also steer clear of Flash for the moment too. You need to think about the end-user (the bosses of the company you want to work for) and the image you want to present. Keep it slightly 'formal' and clean of too many flashy-graphics - small amounts where absolutely appropriate are ok, but keep them too a minimum.

Hope that helps and do feel free to PM me if you have any questions on specifics that don't warrant a thread-post...
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204
Just be careful with how you use Javascript. There are a lot of horrible examples of it in use on the web. Don't validate forms or handle sensitive data with Javascript, that's for server-side languages. Also, don't use Javascript where CSS could be used instead (i.e. image rollovers).

Last edited by Cerpin_Taxt (2007-07-16 20:39:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard