Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

I today followed some tutorials on HDR imaging, and was wondering if you guys are interested in a video tutorial about it.

Without HDR

https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4206/withouthdrff7.jpg

With HDR

https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6514/withhdrge7.jpg
Entertayner
+826|6563

You need to take out some of the red levels but it looks much better.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

Entertayner wrote:

You need to take out some of the red levels but it looks much better.
It was a quicky (5 minutes) Ill make a movie tomorrow about it.
Entertayner
+826|6563

Get on sexfire.  I need to talk to you about that secret thing we were gonna do.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6631|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Nice... But why do you have Sheep as background !
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6648|Brisbane, Australia

HDR is easy.

Step one, copy layer.
Step two, set copied layer to overlay.
Step three, profit.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

Sarrk wrote:

HDR is easy.

Step one, copy layer.
Step two, set copied layer to overlay.
Step three, profit.
Uhm. No.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
hdri is really cool... its great for reflections on 3d object scenes...

nice job with the sheep.... that didnt sound right... lol

HDRshop version 1 is cool and free
http://gl.ict.usc.edu/HDRShop/

and photoshop is great also...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2007-07-12 23:27:43)

Love is the answer
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Bern did you mess with the exposure using the curves adjustment layer? Obviously it's the same image or those sheep aren't very lively . I'm giving it a run now. Will try tomorrow with these quakers I took a picture of.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

Kmarion wrote:

Bern did you mess with the exposure using the curves adjustment layer? Obviously it's the same image or those sheep aren't very lively . I'm giving it a run now. Will try tomorrow with these quakers I took a picture of.
Yah, too point out the benefit of HDR, I'm currently looking at a new Camera (Eos-d), and will take a load of pictures this vacation in turkey.
But as said, I need a new camera, which I can better control than the standard ones.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Bernadictus wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Yah, too point out the benefit of HDR, I'm currently looking at a new Camera (Eos-d), and will take a load of pictures this vacation in turkey.
But as said, I need a new camera, which I can better control than the standard ones.
Cool deal. I'm using a Rebel XTi, HDR in CS3 is new ground for me. Trial and error time.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6733|OctoLand
I'm a photographer, never really bothered with HDR, my friend in Antigua messed around with it, I don't know if its any good but I like the affects in some of them.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hdr&amp … 1516%40N00
I know fucking karate
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6517|South Florida
Awww that sheep is so cute! I just wanna hug it!
15 more years! 15 more years!
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/catbox777/umhlanga_sunrise_HDR_big.jpg

lots of cool stuff with hdr... i am working on a scene right now that uses hdr reflections... will post when done...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2007-07-13 16:11:55)

Love is the answer
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

What does HDR stand for? What does it do?
Entertayner
+826|6563

High Dynamic Range.

This is a lighting procedure designed to emulate the way that light levels in the real world vary over an enormous range. This is mostly achieved by the use of floating point textures and render targets (as well as using the appropriate lighting algorithm); integer formats do not offer the anywhere near the same range of values. Although visually better, the use of floating point formats can result in a large performance impact on some graphics adapters.
seb--morin
Im high
+152|6632|Montréal, Québec
OF course !!! 

im subscribing
ReTox
+100|6491|State of RETOXification

Entertayner wrote:

High Dynamic Range.

This is a lighting procedure designed to emulate the way that light levels in the real world vary over an enormous range. This is mostly achieved by the use of floating point textures and render targets (as well as using the appropriate lighting algorithm); integer formats do not offer the anywhere near the same range of values. Although visually better, the use of floating point formats can result in a large performance impact on some graphics adapters.
It's pretty amazing we have realtime HDR on gfx cards at all when you think of it.  I used to have Lightwave renders take hours because of the complex HDRI lighting maps I used.  Even though the cards can't do the same quality, it's still pretty cool.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6542|CH/BR - in UK

I thought you needed 3 different exposures of the picture (not just 2) >.>

-konfusion
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

konfusion wrote:

I thought you needed 3 different exposures of the picture (not just 2) >.>

-konfusion
Just more than one.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

This is a very good explanation for those interested. I found it inside a program called Artizen.

High Dynamic Range or better know as HDR, has been a concept that seems to be so very misunderstood that there are hundreds of web pages with 2D and 3D designers trying to understand and justify this paradigm shift in the way they think about photographs and light in general.

HDR is not a concept that is just a fad or some crazy idea that only the highest end professionals ever have to think about, but rather something that will change everything from how you take pictures with your family camera to the way that the Hubble Telescope takes pictures of our sun.

If we take a simple observation of how light looks in the world around us, you will notice that there areas that are too bright for you too look at like the sun, and areas to dark for you to see anything. This idea refers to the RANGE of light (or sometimes referred to as luminance) that is visible to the human eye. Now the human eye can see a range of approx. 10,000:1, so here lays the problem. Presently our monitors, cameras and TV's have very limited range, approx. 100:1, which is 1/100 of what we can see. As a result of this limitation, file formats were created to work with these limited mediums such a Windows Bitmap. Normal JPEG or TIFF images can only encode a limited brightness range of 0-255 (i.e. the brightest point can only be 255 times as bright as the darkest point). Now the move has finally been made after 30 years of these limited medium with both JPEG and TIFF supporting higher and board color depths.

Now the first thing everyone thinks, is why would I need anything more if you can't see it on a screen or capture it with your camera. This is wrong, and where it gets very technical. In the computer world a BYTE is limited to values between 0 - 255, so let's say you store all your image information as BYTES and you brighten your image by 20 value points, any value that was greater than 235 now becomes 255 and all the detail that was stored is lost. So if now the image was darkened by 20 points the image would make any value that was 255 is now 235 (rather than a range of values between 235 and 255). This always leaves your image with a gray filter effect.

To work around this, HDRIs (High Dynamic Range Images) were created. They are special image formats that accurately encodes the extreme brightness of very dark and very light areas of the scene. So HDRI's address two issues, the first is that it can now store values ranging from 1x10exp(+/-37) and the second is that the range is so large that programmers never have to clamp the values of their image to a fixed max value such as 255. So by using the example above if the value was increased and then decreased by 20 points the original value would be restored leaving the image unchanged.

HDR images are normally created using digital cameras that can record different exposure levels, so that they can be combined later to make a very detailed image storing data for both very dark and bright areas. This leaves the designer with all the control to decide how bright or dark an image is without losing data.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
this is slightly off topic but really friggin cool... 19 lenses on a camera Adobe is working on...
http://www.time4.com/time4/microsites/p … amera.html
Love is the answer
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5745|Roma
There isn't only one specific way to make HDR photos.
its all about playing with exposures, levels and colors.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2009-06-03 15:34:14)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

nice bump.
i'm currently using photomatix pro, and then Lightroom.
in the year since the OP, HDR's come a long way. nice capture, Catbox.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard