Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6553|Kent, UK
Now, this is totally hypothetical. I'm an atheist but appreciate the religious views of others. Let's not flame people for their personal views and stick to the topic at hand. I talk about Satan here as a real being, irrespective of my personal views.

Now, Satan is the devil. Evil incarnate. Lucifer. And all sorts of other names. He runs hell as I'm sure everyone knows. But the question is this:

Can Satan REALLY be evil if he is the being that traps all the evil souls in hell? If he took good souls, THAT would be evil. But essentially he tortures the souls of evildoers, punishing them for their deeds in life. Without him doing this, would the evil sould remain on our plane of existance and wreak havoc (e.g. poulterguists)?

Discuss
Kommander_Kale
Genetically Modified
+19|6413|Melbourne, Australia
Something about him being a fallen angel?
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6553|Kent, UK
not really, more a philosophical discussion on the definitions of evil etc
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6827|Denver colorado
Christianity made satain FOR evil. They made him to scare the kids into believing them selfs and whatever other dumb crap they make up out of nowhere.

And yea sure on your. 'he helps punish the bad people' thought. But my point still stands.
Brasso
+1,549|6627

He doesn't exist.

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
Well, purely from a religious-ish standpoint, you could say that all souls are good until Satan tempts them to sin, which goes against God. I don't think many think of the devil as a normal "person" (so to speak) but more of one who is evil and enjoys being a sadist to others. Perhaps that is why Satan would have incentive to lure good folk to do wrong, so that he could torment them in Hell.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6827|Denver colorado

haffeysucks wrote:

He doesn't exist.

You don't know that for sure! YOU COULD BE GOING TO HELL! OGMOGMOGMGOMOG. Believe in jesus so ur sole is saved!
Balok77
+28|6145
satain was cast from heaven by st peter according to religious texts. Cant remember why tho. Satain is the root of all evil and is the physical manifest of it, so yes satain is evil...that is if you beleive in him
Kommander_Kale
Genetically Modified
Yeah, just what first came to mind. The next things were:
David Hicks may be a terrorist but does he deserve to be tortured for 5 years?
Other people may do bad things but do they deserve to be tortured for all eternity?
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6542|Sverige (SWE)
No don´t think so... "he" is only one off many who want´s that throne and be "Mr. Evil"
Brasso
+1,549|6627

lavadisk wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

He doesn't exist.

You don't know that for sure! YOU COULD BE GOING TO HELL! OGMOGMOGMGOMOG. Believe in jesus so ur sole is saved!
I don't care.

(Mod:  potentially flaming material removed)
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6542|Sverige (SWE)

Balok77 wrote:

satain was cast from heaven by st peter according to religious texts. Cant remember why tho. Satain is the root of all evil and is the physical manifest of it, so yes satain is evil...that is if you beleive in him
NO! that was NOT Satain it was Lucifer.
Balok77
+28|6145
does anyone deserver to be tortured for enternity? to put it simply its a very long time,,,,,,,,,some people could call heaven hell as eternal life could be the ultimate punsihment
imortal
+240|6662|Austin, TX

Balok77 wrote:

He was supposed to have been cast out for leading a rebellion against God. Satan was the angel who sat at the left hand of God (which is one of the origins of associating 'left' with evil. (NOT talking politics; things like left-handedness and so forth. That liberals are said to be on the left is just a bonus.)

Tom Waits once said there was no such thing as the devil; only God when he was drunk.

Someone else, I forget who, postulated that if Satan ever won and took over heaven, he would have to play by the same rules, and do the same thing God does now (which raises an entirely different set of issues).

Just some points for discussion.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6740|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
should read memnoch the devil..

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-07-12 10:21:34)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America

haffeysucks wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

He doesn't exist.

Fuck your religion, sarcasm, Jesus, and Satan.  I don't care.
Buckles doesn't believe in any of the above either but he's at least playing ball with a hypothetical (in his opinion). Are you this hostile towards the tooth fairy?
Kommander_Kale
Genetically Modified
You seem to be going down the historical facts path which i think is what buckles was trying to steer away from at the start.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Google evil for your answer. First return first sentence.

"In religion evil refers to anything against the will or law of the god(s)"

Now this leads us down the old discussion of free will and religion. If it is a god that commands us to act in a certain way, then it must be Satan that entices us to break those laws (The Devil made me do it). Given the above quoted statement I must conclude that Satan is evil.

If he is anything like my ex he is.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
too_money2007
+145|6305|Keller, Tx

IG-Calibre wrote:

should read menock the devil..
Lol, I was going to talk about that.

Anne Rice implies that the Devil isn't evil, just one of many Devil's before him, put in "Hell" by God for a period of time. His job there is to make evil people come to a realization of their evil ways and see the light of God. The Devil isn't happy with his job, as it is the lamerz, but God has a plan.

That's a pretty good idea on what the Devil really is. Because, if the Devil was an Angel, weren't Angels created without the ability to turn on God? Aren't humans the only beings that are allowed to have free-will? So, that means an Angel wouldn't have the ability to try and defeat God and take over Heaven.

Though, I don't believe in God and a Devil, I find the idea of the Devil pretty cool. There's something about pure evil that attracts me. I guess I just want to see a real, scary movie. Not one that's all about making loud noises at quiet times.
Balok77
+28|6145
satan+ and hell ( or some form of them) are in almost every single religion that exsists today. It is the incarnation of evil, even though he is taking in evil souls he is the basis (according to religion) and the root of all evil on earth today
imortal
+240|6662|Austin, TX

Kommander_Kale wrote:

You seem to be going down the historical facts path which i think is what buckles was trying to steer away from at the start.
Oh, you want to go about the "oops, what happens if Satan was right and God was wrong; wouldn't it be soooo funny if all the religions have it wrong?"

Or, maybe "Satan is just doing what he thinks is right; does this really make him evil?"

I am afraid it all depends on what you believe, and on your personal sense of right and wrong.  We cannot look at the facts and judge for ourselves because the cause, if any, is not history, it is religion in and of itself.

But Satan, as a concept; an architype, is the very personification of evil.  The picture in the dictionary, so to speak.  Evil; see also, Satan.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6567|Portland, OR, USA

lavadisk wrote:

Christianity made satain FOR evil. They made him to scare the kids into believing them selfs and whatever other dumb crap they make up out of nowhere.

And yea sure on your. 'he helps punish the bad people' thought. But my point still stands.
yep, hell is one of many fear tactics used by religions to scare people into believing.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6763|Cambridge (UK)

lavadisk wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

He doesn't exist.

That statement implies belief in Satan too - you can't believe in one without the other.
Balok77
+28|6145
according to christianity if you are truly sorry for your sins you will be admitted into heaven
Kommander_Kale
Genetically Modified

imortal wrote:

Kommander_Kale wrote:

Oh, you want to go about the "oops, what happens if Satan was right and God was wrong; wouldn't it be soooo funny if all the religions have it wrong?"

Or, maybe "Satan is just doing what he thinks is right; does this really make him evil?"

I am afraid it all depends on what you believe, and on your personal sense of right and wrong.  We cannot look at the facts and judge for ourselves because the cause, if any, is not history, it is religion in and of itself.

But Satan, as a concept; an architype, is the very personification of evil.  The picture in the dictionary, so to speak.  Evil; see also, Satan.
No no no. For this to work you really need to all be referring to one specific view of him :S which is obviously a bit tough but you could also focus on one specific thing such as, 'He tortures people for eternity' and work from there......

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard